[ANN] Pillar 4.0.0

Thibault ARLOING

Hello,

I'm happy to announce the latest release of Pillar.

This release has been possible because of the hard work of Damien Cassou, Cyril Ferlicot, Yann Dubois, Thibault Arloing and Lukas Komarek.

What did it bring and what are the largest changes ?

  • Huge cleaning of code and Dependencies
  • Many bug fixes
  • Huge refactoring of internal parts
    • Extract phase management into an external project (LightPhaser)
    • Transformers and Phases are all Pipes
Remove Compilation cycle
  • Remove template handling from Pillar
  • Remove generation of pillarpostExport.sh
  • Pillar now exports files to JSON format
  • Command for pillar archetypes "./pillar archetype book", book can be replaced by other archetype names (see Pillar documentation)
  • Possibility to load an archetype with a Makefile to compile pillar files
Features
  • Check phase to check syntax
  • EPub exporter for e-books (use pillar archetypes for this)
  • Semantic links to Youtube and Wikipedia
  • Citations for LaTeX
  • Structures (see Pillar documentation)
  • Footnotes for HTML, Markdown, LaTeX and AsciiDoc
  • Improvement of parsing configuration failure message
Major changes
  • Metadata field in configuration to separate data from configuration properties
  • Support files in configuration does no longer exists
  • "disableTransformers" property is now named "disabledPhases"
  • AsciiDoc file extension is now ".asciidoc"
  • Pillar now manages one input file, not a collection of input files anymore
    • Parameter inputFiles is now replaced by inputFile

The documentation of Pillar will be update as soon as possible to fit those changes.

Cheers,

Thibault

Re: [Pharo-users] [ANN] Pillar 4.0.0

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

Where can I find the new template system for Pillar?

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"Sometimes the best solution is not the best solution."

Re: [Pharo-users] [ANN] Pillar 4.0.0

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

Ok, I found this document:
https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/EnterprisePharoBook/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/book-result/PillarChap/Pillar.html

And now I tried this:

        wget --no-check-certificate https://raw.githubusercontent.com/pillar-markup/pillar/master/download.sh
        chmod +x download.sh
        ./download.sh
        ./pillar archetype book

and I got the book template. But, I do not know how to compile the book. I tried

        make

or
        make book

but I get:

make
mkdir -p ./book-result
find . -type d -path ./book-result -prune -o -wholename "*/figures" -exec cp {} --parents -r ./book-result \;
cp: ./Chapters/Chapter1/figures is a directory (not copied).
cp: --parents: No such file or directory
cp: -r: No such file or directory
cp: ./figures is a directory (not copied).
cp: --parents: No such file or directory
cp: -r: No such file or directory
cp: ./support/figures is a directory (not copied).
cp: --parents: No such file or directory
cp: -r: No such file or directory
cp -r support/ ./book-result
cp .latexmkrc ./book-result
cp: .latexmkrc: No such file or directory
make: *** [copySupport] Error 1

I must be doing something wrong, but I do not know what. I am on a Mac 10.11 and I am using bash. Could someone point me in the right direction?

Cheers,
Doru

> On Sep 14, 2016, at 10:49 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Where can I find the new template system for Pillar?
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

>> On Jul 22, 2016, at 3:41 PM, Thibault ARLOING <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm happy to announce the latest release of Pillar.
>> This release has been possible because of the hard work of Damien Cassou, Cyril Ferlicot, Yann Dubois, Thibault Arloing and Lukas Komarek.
>> What did it bring and what are the largest changes ?
>>
>> • Huge cleaning of code and Dependencies
>> • Many bug fixes
>> • Huge refactoring of internal parts
>> • Extract phase management into an external project (LightPhaser)
>> • Transformers and Phases are all Pipes
>> Remove Compilation cycle
>> • Remove template handling from Pillar
>> • Remove generation of pillarpostExport.sh
>> • Pillar now exports files to JSON format
>> • Command for pillar archetypes "./pillar archetype book", book can be replaced by other archetype names (see Pillar documentation)
>> • Possibility to load an archetype with a Makefile to compile pillar files
>> Features
>> • Check phase to check syntax
>> • EPub exporter for e-books (use pillar archetypes for this)
>> • Semantic links to Youtube and Wikipedia
>> • Citations for LaTeX
>> • Structures (see Pillar documentation)
>> • Footnotes for HTML, Markdown, LaTeX and AsciiDoc
>> • Improvement of parsing configuration failure message
>> Major changes
>> • Metadata field in configuration to separate data from configuration properties
>> • Support files in configuration does no longer exists
>> • "disableTransformers" property is now named "disabledPhases"
>> • AsciiDoc file extension is now ".asciidoc"
>> • Pillar now manages one input file, not a collection of input files anymore
>> • Parameter inputFiles is now replaced by inputFile
>> The documentation of Pillar will be update as soon as possible to fit those changes.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Thibault
>
> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
> www.feenk.com
>
> "Sometimes the best solution is not the best solution."

--
www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"It's not how it is, it is how we see it."

Re: [Pharo-users] [ANN] Pillar 4.0.0

jfabry
Hi Doru,

it looks like there’s a problem with copySupport.mk, I had the same problem with the Spec booklet. The file is using Linux only syntax for the cp command. This was fixed for the Spec booklet after I raised an issue there, but it seems the fix was not propagated everywhere it needs to be. Have a look at https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/BuildingUIWithSpec/blob/master/copySupport.mk and try to update your copySupport, it may fix your problem.

--
Does this mail seem too brief? Sorry for that, I don’t mean to be rude! Please see http://emailcharter.org .

Johan Fabry   -   http://pleiad.cl/~jfabry
PLEIAD and RyCh labs  -  Computer Science Department (DCC)  -  University of Chile

> [...]
>>> • Metadata field in configuration to separate data from configuration properties
>>> • Support files in configuration does no longer exists
>>> • "disableTransformers" property is now named "disabledPhases"
>>> • AsciiDoc file extension is now ".asciidoc"
>>> • Pillar now manages one input file, not a collection of input files anymore
>>> • Parameter inputFiles is now replaced by inputFile
>>> The documentation of Pillar will be update as soon as possible to fit those changes.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Thibault
>>
>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>> www.feenk.com
>>
>> "Sometimes the best solution is not the best solution."
>>

> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
> www.feenk.com
>
> "It's not how it is, it is how we see it."

Thanks! It seems to work now.

Cheers,
Doru

> [...]
>> cp: .latexmkrc: No such file or directory
>> make: *** [copySupport] Error 1
>>

>> I must be doing something wrong, but I do not know what. I am on a Mac 10.11 and I am using bash. Could someone point me in the right direction?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>

>>> On Sep 14, 2016, at 10:49 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Where can I find the new template system for Pillar?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Doru

>>> --
>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>> www.feenk.com
>>>
>>> "Sometimes the best solution is not the best solution."
>>>

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>> www.feenk.com
>>
>> "It's not how it is, it is how we see it."

"What is more important: To be happy, or to make happy?"

Re: [Pharo-users] [ANN] Pillar 4.0.0

stepharo
Damien Pollet started to have a look at the makefile and this is on my
todo to try.

Stef

Damien Pollet

Re: [Pharo-users] [ANN] Pillar 4.0.0

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

Great. I also started to use it, and I would be interested in working also on creating a webpage out of the box.

It is also unclear to me how to deal with pillar.conf (I did not look at the code yet.). Should I rely on a book.pillar root class that embeds the chapter files? Or is there a way to still rely on a declarative way like we had in pillar.conf to embed those files?

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"What is more important: To be happy, or to make happy?"

Re: [Pharo-users] [ANN] Pillar 4.0.0

Damien Pollet
I think the book.pillar root file is the way.

Damien Pollet

Le 17/9/16 à 08:21, Tudor Girba a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> Great. I also started to use it, and I would be interested in working also on creating a webpage out of the box.
>
> It is also unclear to me how to deal with pillar.conf (I did not look at the code yet.). Should I rely on a book.pillar root class that embeds the chapter files? Or is there a way to still rely on a declarative way like we had in pillar.conf to embed those files?
Hi doru

I did not try yet. My plan is to migrate all my books to archetype and
pillar 40.
I hope to get some time to try today.