Quantcast

ANN: Planet Squeak & friends available for adoption

ANN: Planet Squeak & friends available for adoption

Simon Michael

Hi Squeak friends!

about ten years ago I set up the blog aggregators http://planet.squeak.org, http://planetes.squeak.org, http://planetjp.squeak.org, http://planetcroquet.squeak.org, and http://planetmisc.squeak.org, to give more visibility to Squeak-related blogging and to make it easier to follow with a feed reader.

Blogging activity on the planet has dwindled (for ages it has seemed a small planet, ruled by the immortal god-emperor Torsten Bergmann - HAIL!). Of course there might be many new blogs to add, eg Pharo-related; I haven't been seeking them out.

I still think a site like this concentrating blog feeds in one place is a good idea.

To improve focus elsewhere, I'm offering this project (and others) for adoption. It's very low maintenance. You need a VPS or server where you can run cron jobs and the Planet Venus python software. You could also spend time adding new feeds, or merging such changes from others. The source files are in a darcs repo, which I can convert to git if you prefer. http://hub.darcs.net/simon/planet.squeak.org

Please reply if you're able to take this on. I'll step down as maintainer at the end of this month, about two weeks from now.

Best wishes,

-Simon

Re: ANN: Planet Squeak & friends available for adoption

timrowledge
The Mighty and Powerful Squeak Board has, in its assembled wisdom at the latest meeting, decreed that we would very much like it if somebody could volunteer to do this. We’re not the greatest group in the world at blowing our own  Crumhorn and improving our profile would a Good Thing.

So please, if you’re good at the social media thing and interested in getting more eyeball time for Squeak, consider taking this on.

tim
"How many Puppeteers does it take to change a lightbulb?”
"None. They hire Beowulf Shaeffer to to it. Lightbulbs can be *dangerous*"

Re: ANN: Planet Squeak & friends available for adoption

Bert Freudenberg
On Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 11:07 PM, Simon Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:

The source files are in a darcs repo, which I can convert to git if you prefer. http://hub.darcs.net/simon/planet.squeak.org

Please reply if you're able to take this on. I'll step down as maintainer at the end of this month, about two weeks from now.

We do have a spare server. We just need someone to set it up from Simon's repo. Anyone? It's almost the end of the month :)

- Bert -