Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
19 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[ANN] Prometheas : a Pharo wiki database

kilon.alios
Part of my Discord bot as a goal was to add the ability to create database entries so that people can quickly find documentation.

It was quite a challenge for me because I had to learn how heroku works, PostgreSQL and all the other things but I did it!!!

In any discord channel you have now 3 commands !doc , !docadd , !docremove

1) !doc <search_term>
search for a term in the documentation database
eg. !doc pharo 

2) !docadd <search_term> <content> <tags> <links>
add a new entry to the documentation database
eg. !docadd "pharo" "Pharo is a modern implementation of Smalltalk" "{'smalltalk','live coding','language'}" "{'squeak','IDE'}"

3)!docremove <search_term>
remove a term from database
eg. !docremove pharo

tags , is for more complex searches in the future, links for sending users to relevant documentation

I am also planning to give access to pharo users to the database from inside the pharo image, if its easy enough to use PostgreSQL from inside Pharo. Currently the bot is fully coded in python.

The goal is not to create a full documentation but rather quick help tips for fast pointing to the right direction. 

This is also an invite to experience pharo devs and newcomers to start adding to this database. 

The database is PostgreSQL , one of the most populars, I have nothing against MongoDB , its just that it works better with heroku where I host the database. But if in the future find a way to do it for free I can move to MongoDB, but no promises. 

Anyway this was an excuse for me to learn database programming that I had abandoned 25 years ago (DBASE). 

So have fun with this :)  
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: [ANN] Prometheas : a Pharo wiki database

Juraj Kubelka
Nice!

Could you provide the database content using JSON REST API? We could then have this as a part of Help Browser.

Cheers,
Juraj

--
Juraj Kubelka

> El 14-04-2017, a las 09:30, Dimitris Chloupis <[hidden email]> escribió:
>
> Part of my Discord bot as a goal was to add the ability to create database entries so that people can quickly find documentation.
>
> It was quite a challenge for me because I had to learn how heroku works, PostgreSQL and all the other things but I did it!!!
>
> In any discord channel you have now 3 commands !doc , !docadd , !docremove
>
> 1) !doc <search_term>
> search for a term in the documentation database
> eg. !doc pharo
>
> 2) !docadd <search_term> <content> <tags> <links>
> add a new entry to the documentation database
> eg. !docadd "pharo" "Pharo is a modern implementation of Smalltalk" "{'smalltalk','live coding','language'}" "{'squeak','IDE'}"
>
> 3)!docremove <search_term>
> remove a term from database
> eg. !docremove pharo
>
> tags , is for more complex searches in the future, links for sending users to relevant documentation
>
> I am also planning to give access to pharo users to the database from inside the pharo image, if its easy enough to use PostgreSQL from inside Pharo. Currently the bot is fully coded in python.
>
> The goal is not to create a full documentation but rather quick help tips for fast pointing to the right direction.
>
> This is also an invite to experience pharo devs and newcomers to start adding to this database.
>
> The database is PostgreSQL , one of the most populars, I have nothing against MongoDB , its just that it works better with heroku where I host the database. But if in the future find a way to do it for free I can move to MongoDB, but no promises.
>
> Anyway this was an excuse for me to learn database programming that I had abandoned 25 years ago (DBASE).
>
> So have fun with this :)  

Reply | Threaded
|

kilon.alios
I plan to embed it inside the playground and create a small Pharo API for it. If I can I will provide access for it from the right click menu , like do it and print it . It will take sometime but it's coming inside Pharo.
On Sat, 15 Apr 2017 at 20:43, Juraj Kubelka <[hidden email]> wrote:
Nice!

Could you provide the database content using JSON REST API? We could then have this as a part of Help Browser.

Cheers,
Juraj

--
Juraj Kubelka

>
> Part of my Discord bot as a goal was to add the ability to create database entries so that people can quickly find documentation.
>
> It was quite a challenge for me because I had to learn how heroku works, PostgreSQL and all the other things but I did it!!!
>
>
> 1) !doc <search_term>
> eg. !doc pharo
>
> eg. !docadd "pharo" "Pharo is a modern implementation of Smalltalk" "{'smalltalk','live coding','language'}" "{'squeak','IDE'}"
>
> eg. !docremove pharo
>
> tags , is for more complex searches in the future, links for sending users to relevant documentation
>
> I am also planning to give access to pharo users to the database from inside the pharo image, if its easy enough to use PostgreSQL from inside Pharo. Currently the bot is fully coded in python.
>
> The goal is not to create a full documentation but rather quick help tips for fast pointing to the right direction.
>
> This is also an invite to experience pharo devs and newcomers to start adding to this database.
>
> The database is PostgreSQL , one of the most populars, I have nothing against MongoDB , its just that it works better with heroku where I host the database. But if in the future find a way to do it for free I can move to MongoDB, but no promises.
>
> Anyway this was an excuse for me to learn database programming that I had abandoned 25 years ago (DBASE).
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Juraj Kubelka
Great! I still believe that having the extract in the Help Browser is a good idea, at least for novices.

Juraj

On Apr 15, 2017, at 19:32, Dimitris Chloupis <[hidden email]> wrote:

I plan to embed it inside the playground and create a small Pharo API for it. If I can I will provide access for it from the right click menu , like do it and print it . It will take sometime but it's coming inside Pharo.
Nice!

Cheers,
Juraj

--
Juraj Kubelka

>
>
>
>
> 1) !doc <search_term>
> eg. !doc pharo
>
>
> eg. !docremove pharo
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

kilon.alios
The help browse is more for a detailed documentation , my goal is more concise and tooltip based. But yes it could be embeded in the Help browser too.

I think that interactive documentation is more beginner friendly, where documentation is everywhere you go and you do not have to open a special tool to get it. 

On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 4:36 PM Juraj Kubelka <[hidden email]> wrote:
Great! I still believe that having the extract in the Help Browser is a good idea, at least for novices.

Juraj

Nice!

Cheers,
Juraj

--
Juraj Kubelka

>
>
>
>
> 1) !doc <search_term>
> eg. !doc pharo
>
>
> eg. !docremove pharo
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2

<Shameless self-promotion>

For interactive beginner friendly documentation, Grafoscopio is a extensively tested (in 8 Data Weeks workshops+hackathons --almost 240 hours) beginner friendly tool.

Interactive notebooks could be used with this more tooltip, chat alike tools. In fact, anything that can be put in a playground can be used in Grafoscopio.

</Shameless self-promotion>

Cheers,

Offray

On 17/04/17 09:12, Dimitris Chloupis wrote:
The help browse is more for a detailed documentation , my goal is more concise and tooltip based. But yes it could be embeded in the Help browser too.

I think that interactive documentation is more beginner friendly, where documentation is everywhere you go and you do not have to open a special tool to get it. 

Juraj

Nice!

Cheers,
Juraj

--
Juraj Kubelka

>
>
>
>
> 1) !doc <search_term>
> eg. !doc pharo
>
>
> eg. !docremove pharo
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

kilon.alios
No objection from me , I will make a small integration with Playground and maybe System Browser right click menu BUT I will also provide a very minimal API (request/reply) so that it can be used by anyone so its up to you guys to integrate it with your favourite tools. I will provide the database content , the database and a very small API , the rest is up to you ;) 

Expect a new announcement  pretty soon :) 

On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 6:14 PM Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas <[hidden email]> wrote:

For interactive beginner friendly documentation, Grafoscopio is a extensively tested (in 8 Data Weeks workshops+hackathons --almost 240 hours) beginner friendly tool.

Interactive notebooks could be used with this more tooltip, chat alike tools. In fact, anything that can be put in a playground can be used in Grafoscopio.

Cheers,

Offray

Juraj

Nice!

Cheers,
Juraj

--
Juraj Kubelka

>
>
>
>
> 1) !doc <search_term>
> eg. !doc pharo
>
>
> eg. !docremove pharo
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

I will wait the announcement and start to test the integration in our "novice powered test lab" (which of course, includes me :-) ).

Cheers,

Offray

On 17/04/17 10:43, Dimitris Chloupis wrote:
No objection from me , I will make a small integration with Playground and maybe System Browser right click menu BUT I will also provide a very minimal API (request/reply) so that it can be used by anyone so its up to you guys to integrate it with your favourite tools. I will provide the database content , the database and a very small API , the rest is up to you ;) 

Expect a new announcement  pretty soon :) 

On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 6:14 PM Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas <[hidden email]> wrote:

Cheers,

Offray

Juraj

Nice!

Cheers,
Juraj

--
Juraj Kubelka

>
>
>
>
> 1) !doc <search_term>
> eg. !doc pharo
>
>
> eg. !docremove pharo
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

nacho
I'm eager to test it!
One quick question, is there a way to render markdown inside an Image?
thanks
Nacho
Nacho Smalltalker apprentice. Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Reply | Threaded
|

Not now, that I'm aware of. But with Bloc, this will be possible (Pharo
6 maybe)? Meanwhile, a Summer of Code proposal [1] tries to create a
better user experience (UX) with emphasis on the markdown markup writing
experience. Stay tuned :-).

[1]
http://mutabit.com/repos.fossil/grafoscopio/doc/tip/Events/GSOC/2017-offray-luna-proposal.pdf

Cheers,

Offray

On 17/04/17 16:33, nacho wrote:

> I'm eager to test it!
> One quick question, is there a way to render markdown inside an Image?
> thanks
> Nacho
>
>
>
> -----
> Nacho
> Smalltalker apprentice.
> Buenos Aires, Argentina.
> --
> View this message in context: http://forum.world.st/ANN-Prometheas-a-Pharo-wiki-database-tp4942110p4942461.html
> Sent from the Pharo Smalltalk Users mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

nacho
Excellent proposal Offray. Hope this get elected. I use Grafoscopio a lot to keep notes with code and would love to see markdown integration, ability to add images and links.
Keep us posted!
best
Nacho
Reply | Threaded
|

kilon.alios
In reply to this post by nacho
Moose devs made a Pillar rendered for GTInspector. Pillar is a markdown inspired version for Pharo. 

We use Pillar to generate all our HTML and PDF documentation 

On Tue, 18 Apr 2017 at 00:44, nacho <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm eager to test it!
thanks
Nacho

-----
Nacho
Smalltalker apprentice.
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
--
View this message in context: http://forum.world.st/ANN-Prometheas-a-Pharo-wiki-database-tp4942110p4942461.html
Sent from the Pharo Smalltalk Users mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

Reply | Threaded
|

Yes. I tried to use it once and even ask for support to Moose devs, after they asked for feedback (and I didn't get any answer, but my question to answer ratio by Moose team can be pretty random). The idea is to use same principles, but for markdown. Supporting markdown in the documentation markup space is as important as supporting Git in the DVCS space.

Cheers,

Offray

On 17/04/17 23:59, Dimitris Chloupis wrote:
Moose devs made a Pillar rendered for GTInspector. Pillar is a markdown inspired version for Pharo. 

We use Pillar to generate all our HTML and PDF documentation 

On Tue, 18 Apr 2017 at 00:44, nacho <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm eager to test it!
thanks
Nacho

-----
Nacho
Smalltalker apprentice.
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
--
View this message in context: http://forum.world.st/ANN-Prometheas-a-Pharo-wiki-database-tp4942110p4942461.html
Sent from the Pharo Smalltalk Users mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

Reply | Threaded
|

In reply to this post by nacho
Nice to know Nacho.

Please join us at our Grafoscopio Spanish mailing list at [1] and
checkout the last updated documentation, including English user manual
with explanations about web links support and custom markup keywords at [2].

[1] http://mutabit.com/grafoscopio/#contacto
[2] http://mutabit.com/repos.fossil/grafoscopio/doc/tip/intro.md

Cheers,

Offray

On 17/04/17 18:36, nacho wrote:

> Excellent proposal Offray. Hope this get elected. I use Grafoscopio a lot to
> keep notes with code and would love to see markdown integration, ability to
> add images and links.
> Keep us posted!
> best
> Nacho
>
>
>
>
> -----
> Nacho
> Smalltalker apprentice.
> Buenos Aires, Argentina.
> --
> View this message in context: http://forum.world.st/ANN-Prometheas-a-Pharo-wiki-database-tp4942110p4942473.html
> Sent from the Pharo Smalltalk Users mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

nacho
Thanks Offray.
I already sign up.
I am taking a look a Rubric. It seems that can help in formating text.
best
Nacho
Reply | Threaded
|

kilon.alios

Hey guys I need your help with building the database, I am sure many of you can share small definitions 

the syntax is quite simple 
!docadd term "Term is a term and this is its content of definition .More info can be found at http://www.term.com"

for example

!docadd Nireas "Nireas is a customised blue theme that comes with a gui that allows to change most colors in the theme. More info can be found at https://github.com/kilon/Nireas"

the case on the term does not matter all terms are converted to lower case for ease of use.

The definition must not be longer than 5 lines. 

I plan also to add a section for script examples but I have not added that feature yet, so avoid using quotation marks , single or double inside your definition , only regular character and full stops and parentheses. 

So if you feel like helping, it easy, fast and it will benefit beginners because I plan to add this database inside Pharo. My plan was to add it to playground but I decided to add it to GTSPotter which makes more sense. 

Thanks for any help on advance.
Reply | Threaded
|

Chat channels seem like good places to build that database. I find them
distracting I try to be on them for short focused periods of time. But
I'll try to remember to ask questions to the lighthouse bot and see if I
can add new definitions.

Cheers,

Offray

On 21/04/17 05:24, Dimitris Chloupis wrote:

>
> Hey guys I need your help with building the database, I am sure many
> of you can share small definitions
>
> the syntax is quite simple
> !docadd term "Term is a term and this is its content of definition
> .More info can be found at http://www.term.com"
>
> for example
>
> !docadd Nireas "Nireas is a customised blue theme that comes with a
> gui that allows to change most colors in the theme. More info can be
> found at https://github.com/kilon/Nireas"
>
> the case on the term does not matter all terms are converted to lower
> case for ease of use.
>
> The definition must not be longer than 5 lines.
>
> I plan also to add a section for script examples but I have not added
> that feature yet, so avoid using quotation marks , single or double
> inside your definition , only regular character and full stops and
> parentheses.
>
> So if you feel like helping, it easy, fast and it will benefit
> beginners because I plan to add this database inside Pharo. My plan
> was to add it to playground but I decided to add it to GTSPotter which
> makes more sense.
>
> Thanks for any help on advance.

Reply | Threaded
|

Juraj Kubelka
In reply to this post by kilon.alios
Nice effort!

The key has to be one word term? For example I would like to add 

!docadd Pharo Sprint “and the explanation of what it is and how someone can participate.”

sure, I can add only !docadd Sprint.

Thanks!
Juraj

El 21-04-2017, a las 07:24, Dimitris Chloupis <[hidden email]> escribió:

Hey guys I need your help with building the database, I am sure many of you can share small definitions 

the syntax is quite simple 
!docadd term "Term is a term and this is its content of definition .More info can be found at http://www.term.com"

for example

!docadd Nireas "Nireas is a customised blue theme that comes with a gui that allows to change most colors in the theme. More info can be found at https://github.com/kilon/Nireas"

the case on the term does not matter all terms are converted to lower case for ease of use.

The definition must not be longer than 5 lines. 

I plan also to add a section for script examples but I have not added that feature yet, so avoid using quotation marks , single or double inside your definition , only regular character and full stops and parentheses. 

So if you feel like helping, it easy, fast and it will benefit beginners because I plan to add this database inside Pharo. My plan was to add it to playground but I decided to add it to GTSPotter which makes more sense. 

Thanks for any help on advance.

Reply | Threaded
|

kilon.alios
In reply to this post by Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2

On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 5:12 PM Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas <[hidden email]> wrote:
Chat channels seem like good places to build that database. I find them
distracting I try to be on them for short focused periods of time. But
I'll try to remember to ask questions to the lighthouse bot and see if I
can add new definitions.

Cheers,

Offray

Actually I meant giving me the description here is fine too. Just a few lines that I can then add to the bot myself, you do not need to be in Discord or use the bot. I just need content so I wont have to search every definition.  

"Nice effort!

The key has to be one word term? For example I would like to add 

!docadd Pharo Sprint “and the explanation of what it is and how someone can participate.”

sure, I can add only !docadd Sprint.

Thanks!"

its possible if you pass it as string so your example wont work but this will

!docadd "Pharo Sprint" “and the explanation of what it is and how someone can participate.”

currently the only way to match is by
!doc "pharo sprint"

but I like idea so I will fix it to no longer search multiple terms and instead search one that may be multiple words separated by space
so expect in a couple of hours that this will work too

!doc pharo sprint

I plan also to add regex type search so you wont have to worry about exact match but I have to think this through because I want to avoid returning multiple results in order not to flood the channels.