[ANN] RProjectConnector V1.0

Blondeau Vincent

Hello everyone,

I am glad to announce the first version of the RProjectConnector, a binding between Pharo and R using NativeBoost.

You can now call directly your R methods from Pharo:

data := (1 to: 1000) collect: #yourself.

res := (#acf asRFunctionWith: {data}) eval

To use it, you should copy the R libraries near the Pharo VM (see the documentation on SmalltalkHub to see how to proceed) and

Gofer it
    smalltalkhubUser: 'VincentBlondeau' project: 'RProjectConnector';
    configuration;
    loadStable

Don’t forget to relaunch Pharo after the installation to be able to use the connector.

The sources are available on Smalltalkhub:

http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~VincentBlondeau/RProjectConnector

if you want to participate, just ask me!

Cheers,

Vincent BLONDEAU

Ce message et les pièces jointes sont confidentiels et réservés à l'usage exclusif de ses destinataires. Il peut également être protégé par le secret professionnel. Si vous recevez ce message par erreur, merci d'en avertir immédiatement l'expéditeur et de le détruire. L'intégrité du message ne pouvant être assurée sur Internet, la responsabilité de Worldline ne pourra être recherchée quant au contenu de ce message. Bien que les meilleurs efforts soient faits pour maintenir cette transmission exempte de tout virus, l'expéditeur ne donne aucune garantie à cet égard et sa responsabilité ne saurait être recherchée pour tout dommage résultant d'un virus transmis.

This e-mail and the documents attached are confidential and intended solely for the addressee; it may also be privileged. If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and destroy it. As its integrity cannot be secured on the Internet, the Worldline liability cannot be triggered for the message content. Although the sender endeavours to maintain a computer virus-free network, the sender does not warrant that this transmission is virus-free and will not be liable for any damages resulting from any virus transmitted.

Re: [ANN] RProjectConnector V1.0

philippeback

Excellent.

Of course, I want to participate!

Le 8 déc. 2014 15:12, "Blondeau Vincent" <[hidden email]> a écrit :

[...]

csrabak
Vincent BLONDEAU a ecrit:

>  Hello everyone,
>  I am glad to announce the first version of the RProjectConnector, a
> binding between Pharo and R using NativeBoost.
>  You can now call directly your R methods from Pharo: data := (1 to:
> 1000)  collect: #yourself.   res :=  (#acf asRFunctionWith:  {data})
> eval
>  To use it, you  should copy the R libraries near  the Pharo VM (see
> the documentation on SmalltalkHub to see how to proceed) and

I attempted to follow the directions at SmalltalkHub, but the instructions there call for copying some DLLs, and in particular the "grid.dll" is not available in the present R for Win (3.1.2) installation.

>  Gofer it
>  smalltalkhubUser: 'VincentBlondeau' project: 'RProjectConnector';
>  configuration;
>  loadStable
>
> Don't forget to relaunch Pharo after the installatio to
> be able to use the connector.

After the succesfully install via Gofer, the relaunching of Pharo with the image containing RProjectConnector never starts, and for the worse no messages are availble (even in the stderr file in image directory).

[snipped]

How can I troubleshooted this?

Regards,

Cesar Rabak

Re: [ANN] RProjectConnector V1.0

Blondeau Vincent

>  I am glad to announce the first version of the RProjectConnector, a
> binding between Pharo and R using NativeBoost.
>  You can now call directly your R methods from Pharo: data := (1 to:
> 1000)  collect: #yourself.   res :=  (#acf asRFunctionWith:  {data})
> eval
>  To use it, you  should copy the R libraries near  the Pharo VM (see
> the documentation on SmalltalkHub to see how to proceed) and

I attempted to follow the directions at SmalltalkHub, but the instructions there call for copying some DLLs, and in particular the "grid.dll" is not available in the present R for Win (3.1.2) installation.

<"grid.dll" seems not required to do it working.

>  Gofer it
>  smalltalkhubUser: 'VincentBlondeau' project: 'RProjectConnector';
> configuration;  loadStable
>
> Don't forget to relaunch Pharo after the installation to be able to use
> the connector.

After the succesfully install via Gofer, the relaunching of Pharo with the image containing RProjectConnector never starts, and for the worse no messages are availble (even in the stderr file in image directory).

[snipped]

How can I troubleshooted this?

<That seems strange...
<Do you have a crash.dmp in the Pharo VM folder?
<Which is the version of Pharo you are using ? (Pharo 4.0 and 3.0 are good)
<Is the image is even running but in the background?
<
<Also check if the VM folder contains some blanks, maybe it can be a problem...
<
<If you miss something in the config, you should receive a PostMortem error: 'The R session is not well initialized at startUp...'
<
<Regards,
<Vincent

Regards,

--
Cesar Rabak

[...]

hernanmd

Vincent BLONDEAU a ecrit:

>  Hello everyone,
>  I am glad to announce the first version of the RProjectConnector, a
> binding between Pharo and R using NativeBoost.
>  You can now call directly your R methods from Pharo: data := (1 to:
> 1000)  collect: #yourself.   res :=  (#acf asRFunctionWith:  {data})
> eval
>  To use it, you  should copy the R libraries near  the Pharo VM (see
> the documentation on SmalltalkHub to see how to proceed) and

I attempted to follow the directions at SmalltalkHub, but the instructions there call for copying some DLLs, and in particular the "grid.dll" is not available in the present R for Win (3.1.2) installation.

That is the R Grid Graphics Package
 you can install it from R

>  Gofer it
>  smalltalkhubUser: 'VincentBlondeau' project: 'RProjectConnector';
>  configuration;
>  loadStable
>
> Don't forget to relaunch Pharo after the installatio to
> be able to use the connector.

After the succesfully install via Gofer, the relaunching of Pharo with the image containing RProjectConnector never starts, and for the worse no messages are availble (even in the stderr file in image directory).

[snipped]

How can I troubleshooted this?

It works here under R for Windows 3.1.0 (32-bit) on Windows XP.

Can you check with SysInternals Process Monitor?

Cheers,

Hernán

Re: [Pharo-users] [ANN] RProjectConnector V1.0

Juan Pablo Sandoval

I was trying to use RProjectConnector in my Mac (1.9.1) and i have some issues :(.

I have copied the dynamic libraries of R to /usr/lib directory (.i.e. libR.dylib). But PharoVM does not find the libraries. For instance, this line of code returns always nil.

          self nbGetSymbolAddress: 'Rf_initEmbeddedR' module: #R
          "copied from the project"

I also tried copying the libraries to folder Pharo.app/Contents/MacOS/Plugins. or passing the library name as parameter like:

          self nbGetSymbolAddress: 'Rf_initEmbeddedR' module: 'libR.dylib'
or

          self nbGetSymbolAddress: 'Rf_initEmbeddedR' module: '/usr/lib/libR.dylib'

But i had not success. Could someone help me? I am doing something wrong?

Thanks,
Juampi

Saludos,
Juan Pablo

Re: [Pharo-users] [ANN] RProjectConnector V1.0

Blondeau Vincent

Hi Juampi,

I know that the libraries are difficult to configure. We will improve that.

I don’t have a Mac, but as far as I know, you need to put the R libraries where are the Pharo ones like “libAsynchFilePlugin.dylib”.

If you didn’t do it, you need to restart the Pharo image at each time you change the library location and you need to install R (to copy the libraries seems not enough).

If it works, inspect “self nbGetSymbolAddress: 'Rf_initEmbeddedR' module: #R” should show you a NBExternalAddress instead of nil.

Furthermore, you need to use the 32 bits R libraries, Pharo doesn’t not support yet the 64 bit libs.

I hope that will be helpful,

Regards,

Vincent