[ANN] ReStore for Pharo - object<>relational database framework

[ANN] ReStore for Pharo - object<>relational database framework

rko281
Hello,

At ESUG 2018 I gave a presentation on some aspects of ReStore, my object<>relational database framework for Dolphin Smalltalk. Afterwards a number of people asked if ReStore was available for Pharo, the answer at the time unfortunately being “no".

A year later I found myself with some spare time and decided to look at porting ReStore to Pharo (mainly to give myself some experience with Pharo). I’m pleased to say ReStore is now available for Pharo and can be found at my GitHub account:

Initially ReStore supports SQLite via UDBC and PostgreSQL via P3; kudos and thanks to the authors of these packages. Documentation largely remains on the “to do” list but the ReadMe gives a flavour of what ReStore is and what it can do via a few simple examples. Please feel free to post any questions here and I’ll do my best to answer them.

I hope some of you find ReStore useful!

John Aspinall

Re: [ANN] ReStore for Pharo - object<>relational database framework

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
This looks great, John.

Thank you for your contribution.

> On 8 Dec 2019, at 14:09, John Aspinall <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> At ESUG 2018 I gave a presentation on some aspects of ReStore, my object<>relational database framework for Dolphin Smalltalk. Afterwards a number of people asked if ReStore was available for Pharo, the answer at the time unfortunately being “no".
>
> A year later I found myself with some spare time and decided to look at porting ReStore to Pharo (mainly to give myself some experience with Pharo). I’m pleased to say ReStore is now available for Pharo and can be found at my GitHub account:
>
> https://github.com/rko281/ReStoreForPharo
>
> Initially ReStore supports SQLite via UDBC and PostgreSQL via P3; kudos and thanks to the authors of these packages. Documentation largely remains on the “to do” list but the ReadMe gives a flavour of what ReStore is and what it can do via a few simple examples. Please feel free to post any questions here and I’ll do my best to answer them.
>
> I hope some of you find ReStore useful!
>
> John Aspinall

Re: [ANN] ReStore for Pharo - object<>relational database framework

eftomi

ReStore looks quite sleek, thank you for your nice contribution! I wonder if we could "hook it up" with PharoADO. When I find some time, I can look into the approach you took in SSW ReStore P3 and SSW ReStore UDBC SQLite. For Glorp, you basically just need to send an SQL query that Glorp prepares directly to DB and pack the received resultset into an array structure.

Best wishes,
Tomaz

John Aspinall

Re: [ANN] ReStore for Pharo - object<>relational database framework

Pierce Ng-3
On Sun, Dec 08, 2019 at 01:09:29PM +0000, John Aspinall wrote:
> https://github.com/rko281/ReStoreForPharo <https://github.com/rko281/ReStoreForPharo>
> Initially ReStore supports SQLite via UDBC and PostgreSQL via P3;
> kudos and thanks to the authors of these packages. Documentation
> largely remains on the “to do” list but the ReadMe gives a flavour of
> what ReStore is and what it can do via a few simple examples. Please
> feel free to post any questions here and I’ll do my best to answer
> them.

Very nice! Thanks!

Pierce