[ANN] Reciprocal related methods relicensing

[ANN] Reciprocal related methods relicensing

gcotelli
Hi,

I re-implemented
Number>>reciprocal
Float>>reciprocal
Fraction>>reciprocal
Fraction>>one
Integer>>one
Float>>one

so now are license clean.

I push the changes on Pharo-Inbox (I hope, if I do the right procedure) and open the Issue 843 in the tracker. According with the instructions in the "How to contribute" wiki page I need to change the state of issue to "Fixed", however I can't find that option. Maybe I need to be a member of the project in google code?...

Just in case find attached the.cs and Monticello packages generated. Please somebody must review the changes..

Thanks,
Gabriel

MonticelloPackages.zip (1M) Download Attachment
RelicensingNumberRelated.1.cs (3K) Download Attachment

Re: [ANN] Reciprocal related methods relicensing

Stéphane Ducasse
yes this is the right process.
Thanks

stef

On May 24, 2009, at 2:29 AM, Gabriel Cotelli wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I re-implemented
> Number>>reciprocal
> Float>>reciprocal
> Fraction>>reciprocal
> Fraction>>one
> Integer>>one
> Float>>one
>
> so now are license clean.
>
> I push the changes on Pharo-Inbox (I hope, if I do the right
> procedure) and open the Issue 843 in the tracker. According with the
> instructions in the "How to contribute" wiki page I need to change
> the state of issue to "Fixed", however I can't find that option.
> Maybe I need to be a member of the project in google code?...
>
> Just in case find attached the.cs and Monticello packages generated.
> Please somebody must review the changes..
>
> Thanks,
> Gabriel
> <MonticelloPackages.zip><RelicensingNumberRelated.
> 1.cs>_______________________________________________
> Pharo-project mailing list

Re: [ANN] Reciprocal related methods relicensing

Hi gabriel

I checked your code and what would be good is to do the following:

Float class>>one
        could be
        ^ 1.0

It would be nice if nicolas could have a look at them before I push
them in the release stream

Then it would be good to profile a bit them because with numbers it
would be good to have
the fastest we can.

Stef

On May 24, 2009, at 2:29 AM, Gabriel Cotelli wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I re-implemented
> Number>>reciprocal
> Float>>reciprocal
> Fraction>>reciprocal
> Fraction>>one
> Integer>>one
> Float>>one
>
> so now are license clean.
>
> I push the changes on Pharo-Inbox (I hope, if I do the right
> procedure) and open the Issue 843 in the tracker. According with the
> instructions in the "How to contribute" wiki page I need to change
> the state of issue to "Fixed", however I can't find that option.
> Maybe I need to be a member of the project in google code?...
>
> Just in case find attached the.cs and Monticello packages generated.
> Please somebody must review the changes..
>
> Thanks,
> Gabriel
> <MonticelloPackages.zip><RelicensingNumberRelated.
> 1.cs>_______________________________________________
> Pharo-project mailing list

Re: [ANN] Reciprocal related methods relicensing

Nicolas Cellier
Oh, If my blessing is required, then I would do what anyother would do:
- look at tests results,
- then at implementation.
I see ZeroDivide exceptions are raised.
They are raised a little later with different stack depth and
different dividend, but I don't know specifications about that.
I see implementation is simple and hard to attack (in a hacker's POV).
So please proceed and include this changes.

And post a copy of the .cs at http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6989

Just one remark about tests:
    self assert: Float one = 1.0.
might be completed with:
    self assert: Float one isFloat.
But personnally, I would not even include this in tests because I
don't really care of #one specification:
IMO, this is an implementation detail, not a usefull API, and has few
value per se.
The essential reason for that behavior, and that should be in tests is:
    self assert: (2.0 raisedTo: 0.0) = 1.0; assert: (2.0 raisedTo: 0.0) isFloat.

I also see this test is missing, but behavior is correct:
    self should: [SmallInteger maxVal + 1 / 0] raise: ZeroDivide.

Last, there are some IEEE 754 behaviors I will always find surprising,
like (0.0 raisedTo: Float infinity) and the like - see
http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6781 , but that was not the subject
:)
Don't know if we should write tests to document that behaviour...

Nicolas

2009/5/24 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:

> Hi gabriel
>
> I checked your code and what would be good is to do the following:
>
> Float class>>one
>        could be
>        ^ 1.0
>
> It would be nice if nicolas could have a look at them before I push
> them in the release stream
>
> Then it would be good to profile a bit them because with numbers it
> would be good to have
> the fastest we can.
>
> Stef
>

> On May 24, 2009, at 2:29 AM, Gabriel Cotelli wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I re-implemented
>> Number>>reciprocal
>> Float>>reciprocal
>> Fraction>>reciprocal
>> Fraction>>one
>> Integer>>one
>> Float>>one
>>
>> so now are license clean.
>>
>> I push the changes on Pharo-Inbox (I hope, if I do the right
>> procedure) and open the Issue 843 in the tracker. According with the
>> instructions in the "How to contribute" wiki page I need to change
>> the state of issue to "Fixed", however I can't find that option.
>> Maybe I need to be a member of the project in google code?...
>>
>> Just in case find attached the.cs and Monticello packages generated.
>> Please somebody must review the changes..
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Gabriel
>> <MonticelloPackages.zip><RelicensingNumberRelated.
>> 1.cs>_______________________________________________
>> Pharo-project mailing list
>> [hidden email]

Re: [ANN] Reciprocal related methods relicensing

gcotelli
Hi Stef,

On Sun, May 24, 2009 at 4:49 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi gabriel

I checked your code and what would be good is to do the following:

Float class>>one
       could be
       ^ 1.0

That was the first thing I do... but later i noticed that the code would remain the same that the older...  If it's not a problem I changed that again to this implementation.

On May 24, 2009, at 5:51 PM, Gabriel Cotelli wrote:

> Hi Stef,
>
> On Sun, May 24, 2009 at 4:49 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]
> > wrote:
> Hi gabriel
>
> I checked your code and what would be good is to do the following:
>
> Float class>>one
>        could be
>        ^ 1.0
>
> That was the first thing I do... but later i noticed that the code
> would remain the same that the older...  If it's not a problem I
> changed that again to this implementation.

I think that we should pay attention not to fall in stupidity because
of license. :)

> It would be nice if nicolas could have a look at them before I push
> them in the release stream
>
> Then it would be good to profile a bit them because with numbers it
> would be good to have
> the fastest we can.
>
> Stef
>

> On May 24, 2009, at 2:29 AM, Gabriel Cotelli wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I re-implemented
> > Number>>reciprocal
> > Float>>reciprocal
> > Fraction>>reciprocal
> > Fraction>>one
> > Integer>>one
> > Float>>one
> >
> > so now are license clean.
> >
> > I push the changes on Pharo-Inbox (I hope, if I do the right
> > procedure) and open the Issue 843 in the tracker. According with the
> > instructions in the "How to contribute" wiki page I need to change
> > the state of issue to "Fixed", however I can't find that option.
> > Maybe I need to be a member of the project in google code?...
> >
> > Just in case find attached the.cs and Monticello packages generated.
> > Please somebody must review the changes..
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Gabriel
> > <MonticelloPackages.zip><RelicensingNumberRelated.
> > 1.cs>_______________________________________________
> > Pharo-project mailing list
> > [hidden email]

Re: [ANN] Reciprocal related methods relicensing

Adrian Lienhard

On May 24, 2009, at 23:05 , Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> On May 24, 2009, at 5:51 PM, Gabriel Cotelli wrote:
>
>> Hi Stef,
>>
>> On Sun, May 24, 2009 at 4:49 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]
>>> wrote:
>> Hi gabriel
>>
>> I checked your code and what would be good is to do the following:
>>
>> Float class>>one
>>       could be
>>       ^ 1.0
>>
>> That was the first thing I do... but later i noticed that the code
>> would remain the same that the older...  If it's not a problem I
>> changed that again to this implementation.
>
> I think that we should pay attention not to fall in stupidity because
> of license. :)

Yes. Especially if the implementation is simple (or even trivial as in
the case of returning 1.0), there is no problem if the new
implementation is identical.

Adrian