[ANN] Regex Tester Tool for Pharo

Torsten Bergmann
Hi,

I wrote a little tool to test regular expressions and verify that
given samples match it. It also helps to divide an expression into
subexpressions to retrieve parts of a matched string.

Screenshot is attached. Code, load instructions and full tutorial
on how to use it is on https://github.com/astares/Pharo-Regex-Tools

Hope it is useful for others too. Have fun!

Bye
T.

Tool.png (281K) Download Attachment

Re: [ANN] Regex Tester Tool for Pharo

stepharong
Torsten

Olivier in our team that is perl freaks from time to time, told me that
this is
sad that Pharo regexp are not compatible with the "standard" = rePlugin.

And I think that his remark makes sense. I was wondering if we should not
ressurect
the RePlugin to make sure that users can use perlish regexp and do not
feel that our world is strange.

Do you have experience with re in the past?
What do you think about this proposal?

> I wrote a little tool to test regular expressions and verify that
> given samples match it. It also helps to divide an expression into
> subexpressions to retrieve parts of a matched string.
>
> Screenshot is attached. Code, load instructions and full tutorial
> on how to use it is on https://github.com/astares/Pharo-Regex-Tools
>
> Hope it is useful for others too. Have fun!
>
> Bye
> T.

Re: [ANN] Regex Tester Tool for Pharo

Max Leske
Awesome! Thanks!

> On 1 Mar 2017, at 21:32, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I wrote a little tool to test regular expressions and verify that
> given samples match it. It also helps to divide an expression into
> subexpressions to retrieve parts of a matched string.
>
> Screenshot is attached. Code, load instructions and full tutorial
> on how to use it is on https://github.com/astares/Pharo-Regex-Tools
>
> Hope it is useful for others too. Have fun!
>
> Bye
> T.<Tool.png>

Re: [ANN] Regex Tester Tool for Pharo

EstebanLM

On 1 Mar 2017, at 22:40, stepharong <[hidden email]> wrote:

And I think that his remark makes sense. I was wondering if we should not ressurect
the RePlugin to make sure that users can use perlish regexp and do not feel that our world is strange.

+1

Re: [ANN] Regex Tester Tool for Pharo

Peter Uhnak
On Thu, Mar 02, 2017 at 09:20:12AM +0100, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:

> > On 1 Mar 2017, at 22:40, stepharong <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> > And I think that his remark makes sense. I was wondering if we should not ressurect
> > the RePlugin to make sure that users can use perlish regexp and do not feel that our world is strange.
>
> +1

+23

I've been using regexes casually for years and yet every time I use them in Pharo I have to open the help and end up using PetitParser or parsing it manually anyway...

PeterParser :)

Re: [ANN] Regex Tester Tool for Pharo

NorbertHartl

> Am 02.03.2017 um 09:54 schrieb Peter Uhnak <[hidden email]>:
>
> On Thu, Mar 02, 2017 at 09:20:12AM +0100, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:
>>
>>> On 1 Mar 2017, at 22:40, stepharong <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>

>>> And I think that his remark makes sense. I was wondering if we should not ressurect
>>> the RePlugin to make sure that users can use perlish regexp and do not feel that our world is strange.
>>
>> +1
>>

> +23
>
> I've been using regexes casually for years and yet every time I use them in Pharo I have to open the help and end up using PetitParser or parsing it manually anyway…

Which are good reasons not to improve regex support ;)

Norbert

Re: [Pharo-users] [ANN] Regex Tester Tool for Pharo

stepharong

>>> +1
>>>

>> +23
>>
>> I've been using regexes casually for years and yet every time I use
>> them in Pharo I have to open the help and end up using PetitParser or
>> parsing it manually anyway…
>>
> Which are good reasons not to improve regex support ;)

Norbert

I (would love to have a full version in Pharo - you know me on that).
Now I do not know if we can change the regexp package to actually accept
Perl or other more standard
syntax and there is no maintainer of the regexp package.
And it will be slower (of course we have to maintain a binding to a
C-libraries).
So you see I'm getting wiser with age :)
Now if you tell me that you want to get the regexp package to accept
perlish expressions - I sign :)

Stef