[ANN] Rome

Bert Freudenberg
Rome is a 2D rendering framework made available by VPRI under MIT license:

        http://www.squeaksource.com/Rome.html

The primary backend for Rome is a plugin using Cairo
(http://cairographics.org), additionally there is a reference
implementation completely in Smalltalk, and one using the Balloon2D engine.

Rome is currently used in the TinLizzie and Sophie projects.

- Bert -

Re: [ANN] Rome

stéphane ducasse-2
Thanks VPRI for that cool piece of software

On 31 août 06, at 15:19, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> Rome is a 2D rendering framework made available by VPRI under MIT
> license:
>
> http://www.squeaksource.com/Rome.html
>
> The primary backend for Rome is a plugin using Cairo (http://
> cairographics.org), additionally there is a reference
> implementation completely in Smalltalk, and one using the Balloon2D
> engine.
>
> Rome is currently used in the TinLizzie and Sophie projects.
>
> - Bert -

Re: Re: [ANN] Rome

Lukas Renggli
> > Rome is a 2D rendering framework made available by VPRI under MIT
> > license:
> >
> >       http://www.squeaksource.com/Rome.html
> >
> > The primary backend for Rome is a plugin using Cairo (http://
> > cairographics.org), additionally there is a reference
> > implementation completely in Smalltalk, and one using the Balloon2D
> > engine.
> >
> > Rome is currently used in the TinLizzie and Sophie projects.

Great, I've been waiting for this to happen. Thanks a lot for
publishing the code!

Cheers,
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: [ANN] Rome

cbeler

>> > Rome is a 2D rendering framework made available by VPRI under MIT
>> > license:
>> >
>> >       http://www.squeaksource.com/Rome.html
>> >
>> > The primary backend for Rome is a plugin using Cairo (http://
>> > cairographics.org), additionally there is a reference
>> > implementation completely in Smalltalk, and one using the Balloon2D
>> > engine.
>> >
>> > Rome is currently used in the TinLizzie and Sophie projects.
>
> Great, I've been waiting for this to happen. Thanks a lot for
> publishing the code!

Do we need some tweak package in order to see the demos ?
demos expects CIdentityTransform

Thanks

Cédrick

Re: [ANN] Rome

johnmci
I'll note lurking on my IDisk
via
http://www.smalltalkconsulting.com/squeak.html
follow the link to the johnmci/FileSharing.html

you find in the Sophie Folder a

        RomePlugin.1.0.0.bundle.zip

which is a mac universal plugin, also note the existence of the
FT2Plugin.2.2.1z.bundle.zip, however
the Rome plugin includes Freetype 2.2.1 so  you do NOT need the
FT2Plugin, it's still there as Sophie transitions technology.

On 31-Aug-06, at 6:19 AM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> Rome is a 2D rendering framework made available by VPRI under MIT
> license:
>
> http://www.squeaksource.com/Rome.html
>
> The primary backend for Rome is a plugin using Cairo (http://
> cairographics.org), additionally there is a reference
> implementation completely in Smalltalk, and one using the Balloon2D
> engine.
>
> Rome is currently used in the TinLizzie and Sophie projects.
>
> - Bert -

===
John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>
===

Re: [ANN] Rome

Bert Freudenberg
Am 31.08.2006 um 17:13 schrieb Cédrick Béler:

>>> Balloon2D

>> Great, I've been waiting for this to happen. Thanks a lot for
>> publishing the code!
>>

> Do we need some tweak package in order to see the demos ?
> demos expects CIdentityTransform

Ah, those Tweak classes need to be replaced with the appropriate
DisplayTransform subclasses for demo.

Originally Rome was developed for Tweak using Tweak transforms and
fill styles only. I spent some time making it work in plain Squeak,
too. It should depend on the Graphics package only.

I did not fix the demo and tests packages. If you want to send me a
fixed package, I can integrate it.

- Bert -

Re: [ANN] Rome

Andreas.Raab
Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> Ah, those Tweak classes need to be replaced with the appropriate
> DisplayTransform subclasses for demo.
>
> Originally Rome was developed for Tweak using Tweak transforms and fill
> styles only. I spent some time making it work in plain Squeak, too. It
> should depend on the Graphics package only.
>
> I did not fix the demo and tests packages. If you want to send me a
> fixed package, I can integrate it.

Eventually, we should try to reintegrate some of it via the graphics
packages. It's been on my list for a while already, e.g., move some of
the graphics stuff out of Morphic and into the graphics packages. By the
end of the day one should be able to load Rome+Graphics and use that for
either Morphic, MVC, or Tweak.

Cheers,
   - Andreas