[ANN] Rosetta 1.0

Joseph Pelrine-5
Hi all

I've just uploaded the first public release of Rosetta to
http://www.metaprog.com/Rosetta.

For those of you who didn't see it demoed at OOPSLA, Rosetta is a
dialect-neutral, XML-based format for Smalltalk code interchange. It is
based upon a semantic model of Smalltalk that allows dialect-specific
concepts to be mapped to a cross-dialect form, thus enabling
transformation between different file-in formats.

Rosetta supports namespace annotations in dialects that do not implement
namespaces, thus aiding code porting from a non-namespaced to a
namespaced dialect and vice-versa. Also, the use of custom
transformation blocks for method source code allows for powerful source
code manipulation using the Refactoring Browser's rewrite tool.

Rosetta was designed to file into a vanilla base image, with no add-ons,
compatibility layers etc. It is a lossy transformation format, which
means it will install as much as it can, but probably leave out
constructs (like namespaces) that cannot be mapped in the receiving dialect.

Rosetta is not yet finished. It will keep getting better, though.

keep on talkin' small...

Joseph Pelrine [ | ]
MetaProg GmbH
Email: [hidden email]
Web:   http://www.metaprog.com

"If you don't live on the edge, you're taking up too much space" -
Doug Robinson

Re: [ANN] Rosetta 1.0

Victor Goldberg-2
I am glad somebody is working on this.  It's a valuable contribution.

Victor

news:[hidden email]...