[ANN] Round 3 Results Are In

horrido

This time, the teams must deal with Jump cells, Warp cells, and Death cells. If you land on a Death cell, you die and the simulation terminates.

Next week is the most exciting round yet. Multiple teams will be competing on the same board! This will look so damn cool on YouTube.

Richard

Re: [ANN] Round 3 Results Are In

Richard O'Keefe
This is meant to be constructive, but won't seem that way at first.

(1) The sound track very nearly drove me away in the first few seconds.
I'm deadly serious about that.  I'm not on the spectrum, but my elder
daughter is, and sensory sensitivities are very common amongst ASD
people.  I'm rather sensitive to noise myself.  Now if the sound track
were *relevant* to the message, I'd put up with it, but I can't for the
life of me see any connection between the sound track banging away
and what's happening on the screen.

(2) Above all, it was a *missed opportunity*.  Here was the chance to
add a narration telling us what we are seeing and what it all *means*.
Something not unlike Code Bullet, maybe?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSW-5m8lRMs

(3) I don't give a tinker's curse for the score.  It's just a number without
any context.  The scores for *all* the teams might be more interesting.
The numbers that really matter are TIME, EFFORT, and SIZE.  How
long did it take each team?  How much code did they end up with?  How
much were they able to re-use?  How many false starts had to be thrown
away?

(4) The other missed opportunity was the chance to show some of the
Pharo IDE in action.  Click on a cell, bring up the halo, explore the
data structure, show some code, jump around in it.

As it is, this clip shows me
 - unknown code
 - solving an unfamiliar problem
 - written by people I know nothing about
 - using unknown tools
 - with no evidence that Smalltalk helped in any way.

If I were a Blub programmer, I'd probably ignore this
completely.  At best, I'd look for the problem specification,
then say "who cares, I can do that easily in Blub".

If you want to show that Smalltalk is the best thing since
sliced cheese, you have to show that *Smalltalk* is relevant
in some way.

On Sun, 23 Feb 2020 at 03:53, Richard Kenneth Eng
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNyu-3Y2arg
>
> This time, the teams must deal with Jump cells, Warp cells, and Death cells. If you land on a Death cell, you die and the simulation terminates.
>
> Next week is the most exciting round yet. Multiple teams will be competing on the same board! This will look so damn cool on YouTube.
>
> Richard

Re: [ANN] Round 3 Results Are In

horrido
My video serves one purpose; your video serves another. If I wanted to serve
your purpose, then yes, I'd make your video.

As to the sound track, the truth is, you can't choose one that appeals to
everyone. Musical tastes vary. I have no doubt that regardless of my choice,
somebody will always have an issue with it.

Richard O'Keefe wrote

> This is meant to be constructive, but won't seem that way at first.
>
> (1) The sound track very nearly drove me away in the first few seconds.
> I'm deadly serious about that.  I'm not on the spectrum, but my elder
> daughter is, and sensory sensitivities are very common amongst ASD
> people.  I'm rather sensitive to noise myself.  Now if the sound track
> were *relevant* to the message, I'd put up with it, but I can't for the
> life of me see any connection between the sound track banging away
> and what's happening on the screen.
>
> (2) Above all, it was a *missed opportunity*.  Here was the chance to
> add a narration telling us what we are seeing and what it all *means*.
> Something not unlike Code Bullet, maybe?
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSW-5m8lRMs
>
> (3) I don't give a tinker's curse for the score.  It's just a number
> without
> any context.  The scores for *all* the teams might be more interesting.
> The numbers that really matter are TIME, EFFORT, and SIZE.  How
> long did it take each team?  How much code did they end up with?  How
> much were they able to re-use?  How many false starts had to be thrown
> away?
>
> (4) The other missed opportunity was the chance to show some of the
> Pharo IDE in action.  Click on a cell, bring up the halo, explore the
> data structure, show some code, jump around in it.
>
> As it is, this clip shows me
>  - unknown code
>  - solving an unfamiliar problem
>  - written by people I know nothing about
>  - using unknown tools
>  - with no evidence that Smalltalk helped in any way.
>
> If I were a Blub programmer, I'd probably ignore this
> completely.  At best, I'd look for the problem specification,
> then say "who cares, I can do that easily in Blub".
>
> If you want to show that Smalltalk is the best thing since
> sliced cheese, you have to show that *Smalltalk* is relevant
> in some way.
>

> On Sun, 23 Feb 2020 at 03:53, Richard Kenneth Eng
> &lt;

> horrido.hobbies@

> &gt; wrote:
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNyu-3Y2arg
>>
>> This time, the teams must deal with Jump cells, Warp cells, and Death
>> cells. If you land on a Death cell, you die and the simulation
>> terminates.
>>
>> Next week is the most exciting round yet. Multiple teams will be
>> competing on the same board! This will look so damn cool on YouTube.
>>
>> Richard

Re: [ANN] Round 3 Results Are In

Richard O'Keefe
There doesn't need to *be* a soundtrack.  Everyone can handle silence,
no?  What purpose *does* the current video serve?

On Mon, 24 Feb 2020 at 07:42, horrido <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My video serves one purpose; your video serves another. If I wanted to serve
> your purpose, then yes, I'd make your video.
>
> As to the sound track, the truth is, you can't choose one that appeals to
> everyone. Musical tastes vary. I have no doubt that regardless of my choice,
> somebody will always have an issue with it.
>

> Richard O'Keefe wrote
> > This is meant to be constructive, but won't seem that way at first.
> >
> > (1) The sound track very nearly drove me away in the first few seconds.
> > I'm deadly serious about that.  I'm not on the spectrum, but my elder
> > daughter is, and sensory sensitivities are very common amongst ASD
> > people.  I'm rather sensitive to noise myself.  Now if the sound track
> > were *relevant* to the message, I'd put up with it, but I can't for the
> > life of me see any connection between the sound track banging away
> > and what's happening on the screen.
> >
> > (2) Above all, it was a *missed opportunity*.  Here was the chance to
> > add a narration telling us what we are seeing and what it all *means*.
> > Something not unlike Code Bullet, maybe?
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSW-5m8lRMs
> >
> > (3) I don't give a tinker's curse for the score.  It's just a number
> > without
> > any context.  The scores for *all* the teams might be more interesting.
> > The numbers that really matter are TIME, EFFORT, and SIZE.  How
> > long did it take each team?  How much code did they end up with?  How
> > much were they able to re-use?  How many false starts had to be thrown
> > away?
> >
> > (4) The other missed opportunity was the chance to show some of the
> > Pharo IDE in action.  Click on a cell, bring up the halo, explore the
> > data structure, show some code, jump around in it.
> >
> > As it is, this clip shows me
> >  - unknown code
> >  - solving an unfamiliar problem
> >  - written by people I know nothing about
> >  - using unknown tools
> >  - with no evidence that Smalltalk helped in any way.
> >
> > If I were a Blub programmer, I'd probably ignore this
> > completely.  At best, I'd look for the problem specification,
> > then say "who cares, I can do that easily in Blub".
> >
> > If you want to show that Smalltalk is the best thing since
> > sliced cheese, you have to show that *Smalltalk* is relevant
> > in some way.
> >

> > On Sun, 23 Feb 2020 at 03:53, Richard Kenneth Eng
> > &lt;
>
> > horrido.hobbies@
>
> > &gt; wrote:
> >>
> >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNyu-3Y2arg
> >>
> >> This time, the teams must deal with Jump cells, Warp cells, and Death
> >> cells. If you land on a Death cell, you die and the simulation
> >> terminates.
> >>
> >> Next week is the most exciting round yet. Multiple teams will be
> >> competing on the same board! This will look so damn cool on YouTube.
> >>
> >> Richard

Re: [ANN] Round 3 Results Are In

Ben Coman
Hi Richard,

On Sun, 23 Feb 2020 at 18:45, Richard O'Keefe <[hidden email]> wrote:
This is meant to be constructive, but won't seem that way at first.

Thanks for your feedback.  I can tell you're being constructive by the detail you went into.
It must have taken a good ten minutes to compose and in an environment where
attention is a scarce resource, that is gold.  I'll definitely file it for my own future reference.

(1) The sound track very nearly drove me away in the first few seconds.
I'm deadly serious about that.  I'm not on the spectrum, but my elder
daughter is, and sensory sensitivities are very common amongst ASD
people.  I'm rather sensitive to noise myself.  Now if the sound track
were *relevant* to the message, I'd put up with it, but I can't for the
life of me see any connection between the sound track banging away
and what's happening on the screen.

Its easy to forget such considerations when they are outside our immediate experience.
Thx for the heads up.

(2) Above all, it was a *missed opportunity*.  Here was the chance to
add a narration telling us what we are seeing and what it all *means*.
Something not unlike Code Bullet, maybe?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSW-5m8lRMs

The specifics are quite different.  We don't have access to the teams in the same way,
but I get your point. Something similar with a different slant should be possible - if the creative juices flow the right way.

(3) I don't give a tinker's curse for the score.  It's just a number without
any context.  The scores for *all* the teams might be more interesting.
The numbers that really matter are TIME, EFFORT, and SIZE.  How
long did it take each team?  How much code did they end up with?  How
much were they able to re-use?  How many false starts had to be thrown
away?

Good points, but being the first time running such a competition, its not set up to gather that information.
If a chance arose to do it, are there any further questions of interest to others?

(4) The other missed opportunity was the chance to show some of the
Pharo IDE in action.  Click on a cell, bring up the halo, explore the
data structure, show some code, jump around in it.

Will try to find time to do this later on.

As it is, this clip shows me
 - unknown code
 - solving an unfamiliar problem
 - written by people I know nothing about
 - using unknown tools
 - with no evidence that Smalltalk helped in any way.

If I were a Blub programmer, I'd probably ignore this
completely.  At best, I'd look for the problem specification,
then say "who cares, I can do that easily in Blub".

If you want to show that Smalltalk is the best thing since
sliced cheese, you have to show that *Smalltalk* is relevant
in some way.

Thanks for your constructive critque.
cheers -ben

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNyu-3Y2arg
>
> This time, the teams must deal with Jump cells, Warp cells, and Death cells. If you land on a Death cell, you die and the simulation terminates.
>
> Next week is the most exciting round yet. Multiple teams will be competing on the same board! This will look so damn cool on YouTube.
>
> Richard

Re: [ANN] Round 3 Results Are In

horrido
Your critique is perfectly valid; I have no problem with it. Ben nicely
expanded on my point. Like I said, if I wanted to serve your purpose, then
yes, I'd make your video. Your critique would be very helpful.

This video didn't need a soundtrack either, but adding it made the video
immeasurably better:  Roassal3 <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2rLr7Z1b8Y>
. Ditto for this video:  We Are Smalltalk <https://youtu.be/pB0iI6ksW30>  .

This video has utter silence and it simply does not work for me:  Virtual
Reality Live at Thales with Pharo
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4nNtN7XBi8>  .

The purpose of my video is to drum up excitement for JRMPC. I'm trying to
make JRMPC a special "event." I'm trying to make JRMPC look like a cool
contest. I hope people will be drawn into exploring this event further and
be exposed to Smalltalk. Perhaps then they'll give Smalltalk a try.

If they know nothing about Smalltalk, showing them the Pharo IDE in action
will have very little meaning. That's why I didn't do it. It didn't fit my
purpose.

I could be wrong, but I think a lot of people think this competition is
pretty cool. Mission accomplished.

Richard O'Keefe wrote