[ANN] SETT (Store Export to Tonel Tools) for Pharo6.1

[ANN] SETT (Store Export to Tonel Tools) for Pharo6.1

Dale Henrichs-3

GemTalkSystems is pleased to announce SETT (Store Export to Tonel Tools)[1]. SETT is open source project with an MIT license.

SETT (Store Export to Tonel Tools) is a set of tools to export Smalltalk code from Store and
write into the Tonel file format managed using Git.

SETT is:

  • a Pharo 6.1 application, that
  • connects to a Postgres Database
  • containing source code history in VisualWorks Store format; and
  • writes to a Git repository
  • in Tonel format
  • maintaining all version history, source code and SCM metadata.

SETT was developed last year to support one of our commercial customers in their conversion From Store to Rowan[2]. Rowan artifacts are produced as part of the output of SETT, but the Rowan artifacts can be ignored. The important bit is that SETT converts from Store to Tonel and maintains version history in git.

Please see the project ReadMe[3] and Wiki[4] for additional details.

Dale

[1] https://github.com/GemTalk/SETT
[2] https://github.com/GemTalk/Rowan
[3] https://github.com/GemTalk/SETT#overview
[4] https://github.com/GemTalk/SETT/wiki

Re: [ANN] SETT (Store Export to Tonel Tools) for Pharo6.1

Esteban A. Maringolo
This is great!

One less fence to move code from one dialect to another. :)

I will follow the examples and try to export code from Store and load id in Pharo.

Is it mandatory to use Linux?

Esteban A. Maringolo

El mié., 16 ene. 2019 a las 16:38, Dale Henrichs (<[hidden email]>) escribió:

[...]

Pharo Smalltalk Users mailing list

On 1/16/19 11:56 AM, Esteban Maringolo wrote:
This is great!

One less fence to move code from one dialect to another. :)

I will follow the examples and try to export code from Store and load id in Pharo.

Is it mandatory to use Linux?

We've only tested with Linux and it looks like the current code base is wired to use Unix[1] ....

Dale

[1] https://github.com/GemTalk/SETT/blob/master/StoreImporter.package/SettGitRepository.class/instance/runGitWithArguments..st

[...]

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Great, thanks for sharing this.

> On 16 Jan 2019, at 20:35, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> GemTalkSystems is pleased to announce SETT (Store Export to Tonel Tools)[1]. SETT is open source project with an MIT license.
>
> SETT (Store Export to Tonel Tools) is a set of tools to export Smalltalk code from Store and
> write into the Tonel file format managed using Git.
>
> SETT is:
>
> • a Pharo 6.1 application, that
> • connects to a Postgres Database
> • containing source code history in VisualWorks Store format; and
> • writes to a Git repository
> • in Tonel format
> • maintaining all version history, source code and SCM metadata.
>
> SETT was developed last year to support one of our commercial customers in their conversion From Store to Rowan[2]. Rowan artifacts are produced as part of the output of SETT, but the Rowan artifacts can be ignored. The important bit is that SETT converts from Store to Tonel and maintains version history in git.
>
> Please see the project ReadMe[3] and Wiki[4] for additional details.
>
> Dale
>
> [1] https://github.com/GemTalk/SETT
> [2] https://github.com/GemTalk/Rowan
> [3] https://github.com/GemTalk/SETT#overview
> [4] https://github.com/GemTalk/SETT/wiki

Re: [ANN] SETT (Store Export to Tonel Tools) for Pharo6.1

Esteban A. Maringolo
Dale,

I tried to test SETT to migrate a Package from Store to our repo.

But it fails while initializing the git repository. I set the destination config to `isNewRepository := false`, then it works as expected.

I'm testing it against the Cincom Public Repository, which being remote and full of code (and garbage), limiting by date isn't useful if I can't filter by a particular package name/pattern (I couldn't find such option).

In any case, it's a helpful tool to ease the migration of code.

Regards,

Esteban A. Maringolo

El mié., 16 ene. 2019 a las 18:18, Dale Henrichs via Pharo-users (<[hidden email]>) escribió:

[...]

Esteban,

I'm glad that you are taking SETT for a spin.

I am not familiar with the details of SETT, but if you could submit an issue[1] with the SETT project, then someone should be able to start looking into it:)

I will ping them that you ran into issues ...

Dale

[1] https://github.com/GemTalk/SETT/issues

On 2/19/19 4:36 PM, Esteban Maringolo wrote:
[...]

Hi Dale,

The issue I faced was a trivial one, but also easy to miss.
I installed a vanilla linux environment to run it, and git was not initialized, so I needed to config the user.name and user.email global settings.
So every time Sett executed `git` it was complaining about the missing config.

In the docs it talks about Rowan, but I couldn't spot what is the Rowan part in the repo, other than the "rowan" directory itself. There aren't any Rowan related classes in the image.

Esteban A. Maringolo