[ANN] STicky

hernanmd
STicky is a pluggable real-time evaluator and/or translator workspace
aimed to learn languages. For a quick overview please take a look at
the presentation video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9uUIEaGyoU

The Smalltalk evaluator could be useful in learning courses or for
newbies typing expressions, but other translators/evaluators may help
with more advanced usage, it all depends of the source and target
languages you're using. Some default external translators, which does
the real job, were included :

Smalltalk to JavaScript (ST2JS by Diego Gomez Deck)
Smalltlak to Java (Smalltalk2Java by Alexandre Bergel)
Smalltalk to SQL (ROE by Avi Bryant)
Smalltalk to AST nodes (Marcus Denker et al)
HTML validator ( Todd Blanchard)
JSON to Smalltalk (Tony Garnock-Jones et al)
(...contact me if you want to add your translator in the release, a
facility to automatic installation of translators is provided)

You can easily plug translators and the workspace will update the
current contents dynamically inside a sticky-like dialog or a fixed
pane, the updater interface was decoupled to make possible other kinds
of widgets too, but this is a bit experimental.
Downloads from:

http://www.squeaksource.com/STicky.html

Comments are welcome.

Hernán

Re: [squeak-dev] [ANN] STicky

Andrey Larionov
Its an awesome. It what i want cause i smalltalk beginer

On Sun, Sep 27, 2009 at 01:20, Hernán Morales Durand
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> is a pluggable real-time evaluator and/or translator workspace

Re: [ANN] STicky

I'm confused Smalltalk to Java is not really a smalltalk to java but a
a minimal subset and it is quite slow.

Do you have a full smalltalk interpreter?
I'm looking for that (I would like to code one that deals with
explicit returns and exception

On Sep 26, 2009, at 11:20 PM, Hernán Morales Durand wrote:

> STicky is a pluggable real-time evaluator and/or translator workspace
> aimed to learn languages. For a quick overview please take a look at
> the presentation video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9uUIEaGyoU
>
> The Smalltalk evaluator could be useful in learning courses or for
> newbies typing expressions, but other translators/evaluators may help
> with more advanced usage, it all depends of the source and target
> languages you're using. Some default external translators, which does
> the real job, were included :
>
> Smalltalk to JavaScript (ST2JS by Diego Gomez Deck)
> Smalltlak to Java (Smalltalk2Java by Alexandre Bergel)
> Smalltalk to SQL (ROE by Avi Bryant)
> Smalltalk to AST nodes (Marcus Denker et al)
> HTML validator ( Todd Blanchard)
> JSON to Smalltalk (Tony Garnock-Jones et al)
> (...contact me if you want to add your translator in the release, a
> facility to automatic installation of translators is provided)
>
> You can easily plug translators and the workspace will update the
> current contents dynamically inside a sticky-like dialog or a fixed
> pane, the updater interface was decoupled to make possible other kinds
> of widgets too, but this is a bit experimental.
> Downloads from:
>
> http://www.squeaksource.com/STicky.html
>
> Comments are welcome.
>
> Hernán

Re: [squeak-dev] [ANN] STicky

But for beginner what is the difference between that and a Smalltalk
interpreter.
The idea is that they can compare with their own language the
smalltalk syntax?
it could work now when trnaslating to Java you can generate really bad
code to
express smalltalk syntax?

Stef

On Sep 26, 2009, at 11:26 PM, Andrey Larionov wrote:

> Its an awesome. It what i want cause i smalltalk beginer
>
> On Sun, Sep 27, 2009 at 01:20, Hernán Morales Durand
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> is a pluggable real-time evaluator and/or translator workspace

Re: [ANN] STicky

what is the diff between sticky and stickysq

I like the name...

On Sep 26, 2009, at 11:20 PM, Hernán Morales Durand wrote:

> STicky is a pluggable real-time evaluator and/or translator workspace
> aimed to learn languages. For a quick overview please take a look at
> the presentation video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9uUIEaGyoU
>
> The Smalltalk evaluator could be useful in learning courses or for
> newbies typing expressions, but other translators/evaluators may help
> with more advanced usage, it all depends of the source and target
> languages you're using. Some default external translators, which does
> the real job, were included :
>
> Smalltalk to JavaScript (ST2JS by Diego Gomez Deck)
> Smalltlak to Java (Smalltalk2Java by Alexandre Bergel)
> Smalltalk to SQL (ROE by Avi Bryant)
> Smalltalk to AST nodes (Marcus Denker et al)
> HTML validator ( Todd Blanchard)
> JSON to Smalltalk (Tony Garnock-Jones et al)
> (...contact me if you want to add your translator in the release, a
> facility to automatic installation of translators is provided)
>
> You can easily plug translators and the workspace will update the
> current contents dynamically inside a sticky-like dialog or a fixed
> pane, the updater interface was decoupled to make possible other kinds
> of widgets too, but this is a bit experimental.
> Downloads from:
>
> http://www.squeaksource.com/STicky.html
>
> Comments are welcome.
>
> Hernán

Re: [ANN] STicky

hernanmd
Hi Stef,
  STicky is for Pharo and STickySq is for Squeak. I've decided to
provide two separate packages because it's easier for me to make
changes in each ST separately, without worring about collateral
consequences in another.
Cheers,

Hernán

2009/9/27 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:

> what is the diff between sticky and stickysq
>
> I like the name...
>

> On Sep 26, 2009, at 11:20 PM, Hernán Morales Durand wrote:
>
>> STicky is a pluggable real-time evaluator and/or translator workspace
>> aimed to learn languages. For a quick overview please take a look at
>> the presentation video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9uUIEaGyoU
>>
>> The Smalltalk evaluator could be useful in learning courses or for
>> newbies typing expressions, but other translators/evaluators may help
>> with more advanced usage, it all depends of the source and target
>> languages you're using. Some default external translators, which does
>> the real job, were included :
>>
>> Smalltalk to JavaScript (ST2JS by Diego Gomez Deck)
>> Smalltlak to Java (Smalltalk2Java by Alexandre Bergel)
>> Smalltalk to SQL (ROE by Avi Bryant)
>> Smalltalk to AST nodes (Marcus Denker et al)
>> HTML validator (      Todd Blanchard)
>> JSON to Smalltalk (Tony Garnock-Jones et al)
>> (...contact me if you want to add your translator in the release, a
>> facility to automatic installation of translators is provided)
>>
>> You can easily plug translators and the workspace will update the
>> current contents dynamically inside a sticky-like dialog or a fixed
>> pane, the updater interface was decoupled to make possible other kinds
>> of widgets too, but this is a bit experimental.
>> Downloads from:
>>
>> http://www.squeaksource.com/STicky.html
>>
>> Comments are welcome.
>>
>> Hernán

Re: [squeak-dev] [ANN] STicky

hernanmd
That's one idea. Although there are many applications. I'm using it
now to test a translator from Smalltalk to PQF (an insane query
language), but the course of acquisition of a natural language is a
very complex process, so a linguist can write a translator which
display dynamically inflectional systems differences between English
and Greek or Chinese, or a WordNet application which suggest synonyms
to a writer as he writes, or a logician which desires to show his
students calculus applied to a "lingua characteristica", i.e. it is
not limited to computer or constructed languages. Use your imagination
:)

For the Smalltalk to Java part, I've just included a translator
available in the SqueakSource repository, I'm not so concerned about
the correcteness of a translator but if the author wants to include a
warning before usage of his tool I will happily include it.

One motivation for STicky were the arguments of some Java developers I
know, they told me they've felt lost inside Smalltalk (they've never
seen a Programming System as an autonomic system with global behavior,
etc. but as a process which deals with dead text code) and since
language is a means for referring objects rather than the object
itself, this tool can show the referent sources of their language, if
a translator exists of course.
Cheers,

Hernán

2009/9/27 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:

> But for beginner what is the difference between that and a Smalltalk
> interpreter.
> The idea is that they can compare with their own language the
> smalltalk syntax?
> it could work now when trnaslating to Java you can generate really bad
> code to
> express smalltalk syntax?
>
> Stef
>
> On Sep 26, 2009, at 11:26 PM, Andrey Larionov wrote:
>
>> Its an awesome. It what i want cause i smalltalk beginer
>>
>> On Sun, Sep 27, 2009 at 01:20, Hernán Morales Durand
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> is a pluggable real-time evaluator and/or translator workspace

Re: [squeak-dev] [ANN] STicky

Stéphane Ducasse
Ok now if you want people to use it provide a loader that loads
everything.
Because so far I could not make it work. Because extra packages are
missin.

Stef

On Sep 27, 2009, at 2:12 PM, Hernán Morales Durand wrote:

> That's one idea. Although there are many applications. I'm using it
> now to test a translator from Smalltalk to PQF (an insane query
> language), but the course of acquisition of a natural language is a
> very complex process, so a linguist can write a translator which
> display dynamically inflectional systems differences between English
> and Greek or Chinese, or a WordNet application which suggest synonyms
> to a writer as he writes, or a logician which desires to show his
> students calculus applied to a "lingua characteristica", i.e. it is
> not limited to computer or constructed languages. Use your imagination
> :)
>
> For the Smalltalk to Java part, I've just included a translator
> available in the SqueakSource repository, I'm not so concerned about
> the correcteness of a translator but if the author wants to include a
> warning before usage of his tool I will happily include it.
>
> One motivation for STicky were the arguments of some Java developers I
> know, they told me they've felt lost inside Smalltalk (they've never
> seen a Programming System as an autonomic system with global behavior,
> etc. but as a process which deals with dead text code) and since
> language is a means for referring objects rather than the object
> itself, this tool can show the referent sources of their language, if
> a translator exists of course.
> Cheers,
>
> Hernán
>
> 2009/9/27 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:
>> But for beginner what is the difference between that and a Smalltalk
>> interpreter.
>> The idea is that they can compare with their own language the
>> smalltalk syntax?
>> it could work now when trnaslating to Java you can generate really
>> bad
>> code to
>> express smalltalk syntax?
>>
>> Stef
>>
>> On Sep 26, 2009, at 11:26 PM, Andrey Larionov wrote:
>>
>>> Its an awesome. It what i want cause i smalltalk beginer

Re: [squeak-dev] [ANN] STicky

hernanmd
Ok, maybe this is going to be a sticky post? :)
I have no problems installing with the following script in a Pharo-Core #10458 :

| instClass |
instClass := Smalltalk at: #Installer ifAbsent: [ ScriptLoader new
installingInstaller ].
instClass ss
        project: 'STicky';
        install: 'STicky'

The extra packages (translators or evaluators) are loaded by request
selecting the menu item (I don't want to load all the translators in
one-pass because people may want to just use one and that would load
many unnecessary packages for them), maybe you have to wait a little
bit until the installer finish a particular package loading? Have you
received any exception or walkback selecting a specific translator?

Hernán

PS : The only problem I have is in a clean image if opening the
interactive workspace before anything else, some code is compiled in
test classes automatically, and it seems Author>>fullName assumes one
must provide initials before compiling anything or the system will not
continue to work.

[fullName isEmptyOrNil ] whileTrue: [self requestFullName].

2009/9/27 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:

> Ok now if you want people to use it provide a loader that loads
> everything.
> Because so far I could not make it work. Because extra packages are
> missin.
>
> Stef
>
> On Sep 27, 2009, at 2:12 PM, Hernán Morales Durand wrote:
>
>> That's one idea. Although there are many applications. I'm using it
>> now to test a translator from Smalltalk to PQF (an insane query
>> language), but the course of acquisition of a natural language is a
>> very complex process, so a linguist can write a translator which
>> display dynamically inflectional systems differences between English
>> and Greek or Chinese, or a WordNet application which suggest synonyms
>> to a writer as he writes, or a logician which desires to show his
>> students calculus applied to a "lingua characteristica", i.e. it is
>> not limited to computer or constructed languages. Use your imagination
>> :)
>>
>> For the Smalltalk to Java part, I've just included a translator
>> available in the SqueakSource repository, I'm not so concerned about
>> the correcteness of a translator but if the author wants to include a
>> warning before usage of his tool I will happily include it.
>>
>> One motivation for STicky were the arguments of some Java developers I
>> know, they told me they've felt lost inside Smalltalk (they've never
>> seen a Programming System as an autonomic system with global behavior,
>> etc. but as a process which deals with dead text code) and since
>> language is a means for referring objects rather than the object
>> itself, this tool can show the referent sources of their language, if
>> a translator exists of course.
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Hernán
>>
>> 2009/9/27 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:
>>> But for beginner what is the difference between that and a Smalltalk
>>> interpreter.
>>> The idea is that they can compare with their own language the
>>> smalltalk syntax?
>>> it could work now when trnaslating to Java you can generate really
>>> bad
>>> code to
>>> express smalltalk syntax?
>>>
>>> Stef

Re: [squeak-dev] [ANN] STicky

hernanmd
Stef if you loaded STickySq in Pharo I cannot guarantee to work
properly because one difference between the Pharo an Squeak are some
removed keyboard hooking methods in HandMorph.

I've tested in #10462 and it works fine too. If the problem persists
please let me know.

Hernán

2009/9/27 Hernán Morales Durand <[hidden email]>:

> [...]
>>> students calculus applied to a "lingua characteristica", i.e. it is
>>> not limited to computer or constructed languages. Use your imagination
>>> :)
>>>
>>> For the Smalltalk to Java part, I've just included a translator
>>> available in the SqueakSource repository, I'm not so concerned about
>>> the correcteness of a translator but if the author wants to include a
>>> warning before usage of his tool I will happily include it.
>>>
>>> One motivation for STicky were the arguments of some Java developers I
>>> know, they told me they've felt lost inside Smalltalk (they've never
>>> seen a Programming System as an autonomic system with global behavior,
>>> etc. but as a process which deals with dead text code) and since
>>> language is a means for referring objects rather than the object
>>> itself, this tool can show the referent sources of their language, if

LawsonEnglish
I wonder if a variation of that could be used in the iPhone as a legal
App Store app or apps. Since you're not actually trying to run (?) a
real program, but only learn the syntax of the language, would it get
around Apple's licensing issues for the iphone apps? Would be a pretty
decent "hook" for people to become more aware of Squeak/Smalltalk if it
flew.

Lawsopn

Hernán Morales Durand wrote:

> STicky is a pluggable real-time evaluator and/or translator workspace
> aimed to learn languages. For a quick overview please take a look at
> the presentation video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9uUIEaGyoU
>
> The Smalltalk evaluator could be useful in learning courses or for
> newbies typing expressions, but other translators/evaluators may help
> with more advanced usage, it all depends of the source and target
> languages you're using. Some default external translators, which does
> the real job, were included :
>
> Smalltalk to JavaScript (ST2JS by Diego Gomez Deck)
> Smalltlak to Java (Smalltalk2Java by Alexandre Bergel)
> Smalltalk to SQL (ROE by Avi Bryant)
> Smalltalk to AST nodes (Marcus Denker et al)
> HTML validator ( Todd Blanchard)
> JSON to Smalltalk (Tony Garnock-Jones et al)
> (...contact me if you want to add your translator in the release, a
> facility to automatic installation of translators is provided)
>
> You can easily plug translators and the workspace will update the
> current contents dynamically inside a sticky-like dialog or a fixed
> pane, the updater interface was decoupled to make possible other kinds
> of widgets too, but this is a bit experimental.
> Downloads from:
>
> http://www.squeaksource.com/STicky.html
>
> Comments are welcome.
>
> Hernán

Re: [ANN] STicky

johnmci
The Commodore C64 emulator that was on the store was taken down by the
fact you could get to
Commodore Basic.  I have read of other language supporters who have
attempted to get their language
into the store and failed.

But given the fact all the code is available someone could take a run
at it.

--
=
=