[ANN] SciSmalltalk v0.14

SergeStinckwich
Dear all,

we are to happy to announce SciSmalltalk v0.14

SciSmalltalk is a new Smalltalk project, similar to existing
scientific libraries like NumPy, SciPy for Python or SciRuby for Ruby.
SciSmalltalk already provide the following basic functionalities:

- complex and quaternions extensions,
- random number generators,
- fuzzy algorithms,
- Didier Besset's numerical methods,
- Ordinary Differential Equation (ODE) Solver.

Version 0.14 includes new work from Werner Kassens about function fittings:
https://github.com/SergeStinckwich/SciSmalltalk/wiki/Math-FunctionFit
and math accuracy framework:
https://github.com/SergeStinckwich/SciSmalltalk/wiki/Math-AccuracyFramework

SciSmalltalk project web page is here:
https://github.com/SergeStinckwich/SciSmalltalk
All the code is available under the MIT licence.

We have more than 506 green unit tests and we run a CI job here:
https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/SciSmalltalk/

This version should work on Pharo 3.0/4.0 and also Squeak 4.5 (to
be confirmed).

We are a small community, we are looking for more volunteers to
contribute code and documentation. Please join us at :
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/scismalltalk

--
Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)

Re: [ANN] SciSmalltalk v0.14

abergel
Will you consider on some point probability tests?
This is important to verify hypothesis...

Cheers,
Alexandre

> Le 17-09-2014 à 5:41, Serge Stinckwich <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> Dear all,
>
> we are to happy to announce SciSmalltalk v0.14
>
> SciSmalltalk is a new Smalltalk project, similar to existing
> scientific libraries like NumPy, SciPy for Python or SciRuby for Ruby.
> SciSmalltalk already provide the following basic functionalities:
>
> - complex and quaternions extensions,
> - random number generators,
> - fuzzy algorithms,
> - Didier Besset's numerical methods,
> - Ordinary Differential Equation (ODE) Solver.
>
> Version 0.14 includes new work from Werner Kassens about function fittings:
> https://github.com/SergeStinckwich/SciSmalltalk/wiki/Math-FunctionFit
> and math accuracy framework:
> https://github.com/SergeStinckwich/SciSmalltalk/wiki/Math-AccuracyFramework
>
> SciSmalltalk project web page is here:
> https://github.com/SergeStinckwich/SciSmalltalk
> All the code is available under the MIT licence.
>
> We have more than 506 green unit tests and we run a CI job here:
> https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/SciSmalltalk/
>
> This version should work on Pharo 3.0/4.0 and also Squeak 4.5 (to
> be confirmed).
>
> We are a small community, we are looking for more volunteers to
> contribute code and documentation. Please join us at :
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/scismalltalk
>
> --
> Serge Stinckwich
> UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
> Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
> http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: [ANN] SciSmalltalk v0.14

SergeStinckwich
On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 3:09 PM, Alexandre Bergel
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Will you consider on some point probability tests?
> This is important to verify hypothesis...

Yes, we are definitively interested to have tests like this one:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kolmogorov%E2%80%93Smirnov_test

If some student is interested, we can ask ESUG some support for that.

Regards,
--
Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: [ANN] SciSmalltalk v0.14

SergeStinckwich
Werner Kassens on the SciSmalltalk mailing-list told me that
apparently there some statistic tests in SciSmalltalk :

ChiSquare, f-test and t-test are available at least.
Look at :
- RandomGenerator>>chiSquare:repeating:
- DhbNumericalMethodsTestCase>>testTTest
- DhbNumericalMethodsTestCase>>testFTest

Already a good start !
We definitively need to refactor all these Dbh* classes.

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Will you consider on some point probability tests?
> This is important to verify hypothesis...
>
> Cheers,
> Alexandre
>
>> Le 17-09-2014 à 5:41, Serge Stinckwich <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> we are to happy to announce SciSmalltalk v0.14
>>
>> SciSmalltalk is a new Smalltalk project, similar to existing
>> scientific libraries like NumPy, SciPy for Python or SciRuby for Ruby.
>> SciSmalltalk already provide the following basic functionalities:
>>
>> - complex and quaternions extensions,
>> - random number generators,
>> - fuzzy algorithms,
>> - Didier Besset's numerical methods,
>> - Ordinary Differential Equation (ODE) Solver.
>>
>> Version 0.14 includes new work from Werner Kassens about function fittings:
>> https://github.com/SergeStinckwich/SciSmalltalk/wiki/Math-FunctionFit
>> and math accuracy framework:
>> https://github.com/SergeStinckwich/SciSmalltalk/wiki/Math-AccuracyFramework
>>
>> SciSmalltalk project web page is here:
>> https://github.com/SergeStinckwich/SciSmalltalk
>> All the code is available under the MIT licence.
>>
>> We have more than 506 green unit tests and we run a CI job here:
>> https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/SciSmalltalk/
>>
>> This version should work on Pharo 3.0/4.0 and also Squeak 4.5 (to
>> be confirmed).
>>
>> We are a small community, we are looking for more volunteers to
>> contribute code and documentation. Please join us at :
>> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/scismalltalk
>>
>> --
>> Serge Stinckwich
>> UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
>> Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
>> http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: [ANN] SciSmalltalk v0.14

philippeback

On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 4:55 PM, Serge Stinckwich <[hidden email]> wrote:
Werner Kassens on the SciSmalltalk mailing-list told me that
apparently there some statistic tests in SciSmalltalk :

ChiSquare, f-test and t-test are available at least.
Look at :
- RandomGenerator>>chiSquare:repeating:
- DhbNumericalMethodsTestCase>>testTTest
- DhbNumericalMethodsTestCase>>testFTest

Already a good start !
We definitively need to refactor all these Dbh* classes.

Please pay attention to the fact that the Dhb* classes are supported by a proper book and examples. Messing with them isn't a good idea as I am using them.

But I am using the Dhb packages, maybe not SciSmalltalk right now.

My EUR 0.02

Phil

On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 5:24 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 4:55 PM, Serge Stinckwich
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Werner Kassens on the SciSmalltalk mailing-list told me that
>> apparently there some statistic tests in SciSmalltalk :
>>
>> ChiSquare, f-test and t-test are available at least.
>> Look at :
>> - RandomGenerator>>chiSquare:repeating:
>> - DhbNumericalMethodsTestCase>>testTTest
>> - DhbNumericalMethodsTestCase>>testFTest
>>
>> Already a good start !
>> We definitively need to refactor all these Dbh* classes.
>

> Please pay attention to the fact that the Dhb* classes are supported by a
> proper book and examples. Messing with them isn't a good idea as I am using
> them.
>
> But I am using the Dhb packages, maybe not SciSmalltalk right now.

Maybe, the DBH package should be freezed and made available on SmalltalkHub.
And SciSmalltalk will be free to refactor classes as we need.

Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: [ANN] SciSmalltalk v0.14

hernanmd
Hi Serge and others,

The Dhb* classes are already available in SmalltalkHub NumericalMethods package: http://www.smalltalkhub.com/#!/~hernan/NumericalMethods and I wrote a Configuration to load it from Configuration Browser.
Let me know if you want write access to the repository.
Cheers,

Hernán

On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 5:24 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 4:55 PM, Serge Stinckwich
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Werner Kassens on the SciSmalltalk mailing-list told me that
>> apparently there some statistic tests in SciSmalltalk :
>>
>> ChiSquare, f-test and t-test are available at least.
>> Look at :
>> - RandomGenerator>>chiSquare:repeating:
>> - DhbNumericalMethodsTestCase>>testTTest
>> - DhbNumericalMethodsTestCase>>testFTest
>>
>> Already a good start !
>> We definitively need to refactor all these Dbh* classes.
>

> Please pay attention to the fact that the Dhb* classes are supported by a
> proper book and examples. Messing with them isn't a good idea as I am using
> them.
>
> But I am using the Dhb packages, maybe not SciSmalltalk right now.

Maybe, the DBH package should be freezed and made available on SmalltalkHub.
And SciSmalltalk will be free to refactor classes as we need.

Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: [ANN] SciSmalltalk v0.14

SergeStinckwich
On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 4:43 PM, Hernán Morales Durand
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Serge and others,
>
> The Dhb* classes are already available in SmalltalkHub NumericalMethods
> package: http://www.smalltalkhub.com/#!/~hernan/NumericalMethods and I wrote
> a Configuration to load it from Configuration Browser.
> Let me know if you want write access to the repository.

Thank you Hernan.
We should keep this version frozen I guess in order to use it with the
current book.

--
Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: [ANN] SciSmalltalk v0.14

stepharo

> Werner Kassens on the SciSmalltalk mailing-list told me that
> apparently there some statistic tests in SciSmalltalk :

yes there are!

> ChiSquare, f-test and t-test are available at least.
> Look at :
> - RandomGenerator>>chiSquare:repeating:
> - DhbNumericalMethodsTestCase>>testTTest
> - DhbNumericalMethodsTestCase>>testFTest
>
> Already a good start !
> We definitively need to refactor all these Dbh* classes.

Yes and didier asked 6 months ago the right to release his book and we
are still waiting.
Soon you will get the pdf for free.

Stef

> On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 3:09 PM, Alexandre Bergel
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Will you consider on some point probability tests?
>> This is important to verify hypothesis...
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Alexandre
>>
>>> Le 17-09-2014 à 5:41, Serge Stinckwich <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>>>
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> we are to happy to announce SciSmalltalk v0.14
>>>
>>> SciSmalltalk is a new Smalltalk project, similar to existing
>>> scientific libraries like NumPy, SciPy for Python or SciRuby for Ruby.
>>> SciSmalltalk already provide the following basic functionalities:
>>>
>>> - complex and quaternions extensions,
>>> - random number generators,
>>> - fuzzy algorithms,
>>> - Didier Besset's numerical methods,
>>> - Ordinary Differential Equation (ODE) Solver.
>>>
>>> Version 0.14 includes new work from Werner Kassens about function fittings:
>>> https://github.com/SergeStinckwich/SciSmalltalk/wiki/Math-FunctionFit
>>> and math accuracy framework:
>>> https://github.com/SergeStinckwich/SciSmalltalk/wiki/Math-AccuracyFramework
>>>
>>> SciSmalltalk project web page is here:
>>> https://github.com/SergeStinckwich/SciSmalltalk
>>> All the code is available under the MIT licence.
>>>
>>> We have more than 506 green unit tests and we run a CI job here:
>>> https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/SciSmalltalk/
>>>
>>> This version should work on Pharo 3.0/4.0 and also Squeak 4.5 (to
>>> be confirmed).
>>>
>>> We are a small community, we are looking for more volunteers to
>>> contribute code and documentation. Please join us at :
>>> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/scismalltalk
>>>
>>> --
>>> Serge Stinckwich
>>> UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
>>> Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
>>> http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: [ANN] SciSmalltalk v0.14

stepharo

>> Please pay attention to the fact that the Dhb* classes are supported by a
>> proper book and examples. Messing with them isn't a good idea as I am using
>> them.
>>
>> But I am using the Dhb packages, maybe not SciSmalltalk right now.
> Maybe, the DBH package should be freezed and made available on SmalltalkHub.
> And SciSmalltalk will be free to refactor classes as we need.
yes and you can add in the class comments the reference to the book chapter.
For me I do not like the DBH acronyms. Imagine that I put SABD to all my
class names

Re: [ANN] SciSmalltalk v0.14

stepharo
It would be nice to have all the sciSt packages under the same project names

Stef