[ANN] Seaside 2.8 beta

12

[ANN] Seaside 2.8 beta

Philippe Marschall
Hi

As of today Seaside 2.8 is going beta and entering code freeze.
Anything that did not make it so far into 2.8 (like configuration
inheritance refactoring) will not be in the 2.8 release. New features
will have to wait for 2.9. Seaside 2.8 has been in production use for
quite some time now so we are quite confident about its stability
despite some minor known bugs (see bugtracker). When exactly the final
release will be depends on how many bug reports come in and obviously
how fast they will be fixed but we don't expect it to be too far away.
A new version of Scriptaculous and Comet will be released at the same
date.

To get Seaside 2.8 for Squeak load it from SqueakMap or directly load
Seaside2.8a1-lr.462.mcz from the Seaside repository [4]. And update
for universes should follow soon.
We hope that there will be an updated version for VisualWorks soon.

Check out the Seaside homepage for new features [1] and a migration guide [2].

If you use Squeak, do not load Seaise 2.8 into an image that has 2.7
or an earlier version loaded. It will break your image.

If you are looking for a way to get involved into the Seaside project
without contributing code we are looking for a maintainer for the
homepage. You can an also buy official Seaise T-shirts at our webshop
[3]. The presentation Lukas did at ESUG today is available at [5].

Cheers
The Seaside Team

[1] http://www.seaside.st/community/development/seaside28a1
[2] http://www.seaside.st/documentation/migration
[3] http://seaside.spreadshirt.net/
[4] http://www.squeaksource.com/Seaside.html
[5] http://www.lukas-renggli.ch/smalltalk/seaside/seaside-past-present-future.pdf

Re: [ANN] Seaside 2.8 beta

stephane ducasse
Thanks for your GREAT job!
Lukas presentation was really cool and showing that you really did an
excellent job.

stef

On 30 août 07, at 15:39, Philippe Marschall wrote:

> Hi
>
> As of today Seaside 2.8 is going beta and entering code freeze.
> Anything that did not make it so far into 2.8 (like configuration
> inheritance refactoring) will not be in the 2.8 release. New features
> will have to wait for 2.9. Seaside 2.8 has been in production use for
> quite some time now so we are quite confident about its stability
> despite some minor known bugs (see bugtracker). When exactly the final
> release will be depends on how many bug reports come in and obviously
> how fast they will be fixed but we don't expect it to be too far away.
> A new version of Scriptaculous and Comet will be released at the same
> date.
>
> To get Seaside 2.8 for Squeak load it from SqueakMap or directly load
> Seaside2.8a1-lr.462.mcz from the Seaside repository [4]. And update
> for universes should follow soon.
> We hope that there will be an updated version for VisualWorks soon.
>
> Check out the Seaside homepage for new features [1] and a migration
> guide [2].
>
> If you use Squeak, do not load Seaise 2.8 into an image that has 2.7
> or an earlier version loaded. It will break your image.
>
> If you are looking for a way to get involved into the Seaside project
> without contributing code we are looking for a maintainer for the
> homepage. You can an also buy official Seaise T-shirts at our webshop
> [3]. The presentation Lukas did at ESUG today is available at [5].
>
> Cheers
> The Seaside Team
>
> [1] http://www.seaside.st/community/development/seaside28a1
> [2] http://www.seaside.st/documentation/migration
> [3] http://seaside.spreadshirt.net/
> [4] http://www.squeaksource.com/Seaside.html
> [5] http://www.lukas-renggli.ch/smalltalk/seaside/seaside-past-
> present-future.pdf

Re: [ANN] Seaside 2.8 beta

Chun, Sungjin

> Check out the Seaside homepage for new features [1] and a migration guide [2].

There's
- removed WAModLisp, use fast_cgi instead -> we do not depend on KomServices anymore

How can I set up fast_cgi with Seaside?

Re: [ANN] Seaside 2.8 beta

Chun, Sungjin

2007/8/31, "S.J.Chun" <[hidden email]>:

> > Check out the Seaside homepage for new features [1] and a migration guide [2].
>
> There's
> - removed WAModLisp, use fast_cgi instead -> we do not depend on KomServices anymore
>
> How can I set up fast_cgi with Seaside?

In Squeak (check Wiki too):
http://www.squeaksource.com/FCGI.html

You can of course continue to use Kom which is still supported. It's
just that we do a any subclasses of Kom-Services anymore in the code.

Cheers
Philippe

Re: [ANN] Seaside 2.8 beta

Damien Cassou-3
2007/8/30, Philippe Marschall <[hidden email]>:
> To get Seaside 2.8 for Squeak load it from SqueakMap or directly load
> Seaside2.8a1-lr.462.mcz from the Seaside repository [4]. And update
> for universes should follow soon.

The development universe has been updated. A squeak-web beta image
will soon be released too.

--
Damien Cassou

Re: [ANN] Seaside 2.8 beta

Philippe Marschall
2007/9/3, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]>:
> 2007/8/30, Philippe Marschall <[hidden email]>:
> > To get Seaside 2.8 for Squeak load it from SqueakMap or directly load
> > Seaside2.8a1-lr.462.mcz from the Seaside repository [4]. And update
> > for universes should follow soon.
>
> The development universe has been updated. A squeak-web beta image
> will soon be released too.

Thanks for all the work.

Cheers
Philippe

> --
> Damien Cassou

RE: [ANN] Seaside 2.8 for VW

Bany, Michel
> We hope that there will be an updated version for VisualWorks soon.

Seaside for VisualWorks is now updated. See on the public repository

- SeasideForWebToolkit(2.8a1.466.0,mbany)
- SeasideForSwazoo(2.8a1.466.0,mbany)
- SeasideScriptaculous(2.8a1.216.0,mbany)
- SeasideTestingBundle(R1.5.5.0,mbany)

Enjoy,
Michel.

Re: [ANN] Seaside 2.8 for VW

Conrad Taylor
Hi Michel, I have a couple of questions in regards to Seaside on VW:

1)  How does one port a Seaside application to Gemstone/S VM in terms of namespaces?  I would
     like to use GLASS as my deployment platform but use VW as the development platform.

2)  When upgrading to SeasideForWebToolkit(2.8a1.466.0,mbany), does the system load the other
     packages (i.e. easideScriptaculous(2.8a1.216.0,mbany)
     and SeasideTestingBundle(R1.5.5.0,mbany)?

3)  Does the SeasideForSwazoo(2.8a1.466.0 ,mbany) use Swazoo 2.0?

4)  Is there any advantage to using SeasideForSwazoo(2.8a1.466.0,mbany) over
     SeasideForWebToolkit(2.8a1.466.0,mbany) in regards to performance?

Thanks in advance,

-Conrad

On 9/3/07, Bany, Michel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> We hope that there will be an updated version for VisualWorks soon.

Seaside for VisualWorks is now updated. See on the public repository

- SeasideForWebToolkit(2.8a1.466.0,mbany)
- SeasideForSwazoo(2.8a1.466.0,mbany)
- SeasideScriptaculous(2.8a1.216.0,mbany)
- SeasideTestingBundle( R1.5.5.0,mbany)

Enjoy,
Michel.

RE: [ANN] Seaside 2.8 for VW

Bany, Michel
Hi Conrad,
Hi Michel, I have a couple of questions in regards to Seaside on VW:

1)  How does one port a Seaside application to Gemstone/S VM in terms of namespaces?  I would
     like to use GLASS as my deployment platform but use VW as the development platform.
I'm certainly not the best person to answer your question, since I have no experience with Gemstone.
2)  When upgrading to SeasideForWebToolkit(2.8a1.466.0,mbany), does the system load the other
     packages (i.e. SeasideScriptaculous(2.8a1.216.0,mbany)
     and SeasideTestingBundle(R1.5.5.0,mbany)?
No

3)  Does the SeasideForSwazoo(2.8a1.466.0 ,mbany) use Swazoo 2.0?

It is intended to work with Swazoo as shipped on the VW distribution, i.e. Swazoo 1.0.
I just tried it myself with Swazoo 2.0 and could see that SeasideForSwazoo does not work on top of Swazoo 2.0.
While trying it, I could see that supporting Swazoo 2.0 is nothing trivial, so it will take its little time before it is supported.

4)  Is there any advantage to using SeasideForSwazoo(2.8a1.466.0,mbany) over
     SeasideForWebToolkit(2.8a1.466.0,mbany) in regards to performance?
So far my target for Seaside was WebToolkit, because it is the Cincom supported web environment in VW.
I created the Swazoo bindings just to convince myself that there is no WebToolkit dependency in the port.
However, I never compared the performance of the two. I guess they must be somehow more or less kind of equal.
On the other hand, it appears that Swazoo is the server of choice for some Seaside users, so there must be some advantage in Swazoo but I do not remember what the motivations were.

I see some contradictions in your questions : you care about the performance of two VW solutions while your deployment target is Gemstone. I would better understand if you were querying about the performance advantage of using Gemstone over VW.

HTH
Michel.

Re: [ANN] Seaside 2.8 for VW

Philippe Marschall
2007/9/3, Bany, Michel <[hidden email]>:

> Hi Conrad,
>
> Hi Michel, I have a couple of questions in regards to Seaside on VW:
>

> 1)  How does one port a Seaside application to Gemstone/S VM in terms of
> namespaces?  I would
>      like to use GLASS as my deployment platform but use VW as the
> development platform.
> I'm certainly not the best person to answer your question, since I have no
> experience with Gemstone.
>
> 2)  When upgrading to SeasideForWebToolkit(2.8a1.466.0,mbany), does the
> system load the other
>      packages (i.e. SeasideScriptaculous(2.8a1.216.0,mbany)
>      and SeasideTestingBundle(R1.5.5.0,mbany)?
> No
>

> 3)  Does the SeasideForSwazoo(2.8a1.466.0 ,mbany) use Swazoo 2.0?
>
> It is intended to work with Swazoo as shipped on the VW distribution, i.e.
> Swazoo 1.0.
> I just tried it myself with Swazoo 2.0 and could see that SeasideForSwazoo
> does not work on top of Swazoo 2.0.
> While trying it, I could see that supporting Swazoo 2.0 is nothing trivial,
> so it will take its little time before it is supported.

I have a very basic server adpater for Swazoo 2 running. I'll post it
later today.

Cheers
Philippe

> 4)  Is there any advantage to using SeasideForSwazoo(2.8a1.466.0,mbany) over
>
>      SeasideForWebToolkit(2.8a1.466.0,mbany) in regards to performance?
> So far my target for Seaside was WebToolkit, because it is the Cincom
> supported web environment in VW.
> I created the Swazoo bindings just to convince myself that there is no
> WebToolkit dependency in the port.
> However, I never compared the performance of the two. I guess they must be
> somehow more or less kind of equal.
> On the other hand, it appears that Swazoo is the server of choice for some
> Seaside users, so there must be some advantage in Swazoo but I do not
> remember what the motivations were.
>
> I see some contradictions in your questions : you care about the performance
> of two VW solutions while your deployment target is Gemstone. I would better
> understand if you were querying about the performance advantage of using
> Gemstone over VW.
>
> HTH
> Michel.

Re: [ANN] Seaside 2.8 for VW

Conrad Taylor
Hi Michel, I didn't ask the question in regards to Gemstone/S VM or the underlying server because I don't have access to that environment.  The only HTTP server environments that I have access to in regards to are the following:

Swazoo 1.0 (Squeak/VW)
WebToolkit (VW)
Komache (Squeak)

-Conrad

On 9/3/07, Philippe Marschall <[hidden email]> wrote:
2007/9/3, Bany, Michel <[hidden email]>:

> Hi Conrad,
>
> Hi Michel, I have a couple of questions in regards to Seaside on VW:
>

> 1)  How does one port a Seaside application to Gemstone/S VM in terms of
> namespaces?  I would
>      like to use GLASS as my deployment platform but use VW as the
> development platform.
> I'm certainly not the best person to answer your question, since I have no
> experience with Gemstone.
>
> 2)  When upgrading to SeasideForWebToolkit(2.8a1.466.0,mbany), does the
> system load the other
>      packages (i.e. SeasideScriptaculous(2.8a1.216.0,mbany)
>      and SeasideTestingBundle(R1.5.5.0,mbany)?

> No
>

> 3)  Does the SeasideForSwazoo(2.8a1.466.0 ,mbany) use Swazoo 2.0?
>
> It is intended to work with Swazoo as shipped on the VW distribution, i.e.
> Swazoo 1.0.
> I just tried it myself with Swazoo 2.0 and could see that SeasideForSwazoo
> does not work on top of Swazoo 2.0.
> While trying it, I could see that supporting Swazoo 2.0 is nothing trivial,
> so it will take its little time before it is supported.

I have a very basic server adpater for Swazoo 2 running. I'll post it
later today.

Cheers
Philippe

> 4)  Is there any advantage to using SeasideForSwazoo( 2.8a1.466.0,mbany) over
>
>      SeasideForWebToolkit(2.8a1.466.0,mbany) in regards to performance?
> So far my target for Seaside was WebToolkit, because it is the Cincom
> supported web environment in VW.
> I created the Swazoo bindings just to convince myself that there is no
> WebToolkit dependency in the port.
> However, I never compared the performance of the two. I guess they must be
> somehow more or less kind of equal.
> On the other hand, it appears that Swazoo is the server of choice for some
> Seaside users, so there must be some advantage in Swazoo but I do not
> remember what the motivations were.
>
> I see some contradictions in your questions : you care about the performance
> of two VW solutions while your deployment target is Gemstone. I would better
> understand if you were querying about the performance advantage of using
> Gemstone over VW.
>
> HTH
> Michel.

Re: [ANN] Seaside 2.8 beta

Conrad Taylor
Hi, is it necessary to install this dev-image just because of the update in Seaside?  If so, is it possible to simply do the update both of these packages without getting rid of my current image?  I received so many errors messages last time that I ended up doing this.

-Conrad

2007/9/3, Conrad Taylor <[hidden email]>:
> Hi, is it necessary to install this dev-image just because of the update in
> Seaside?

No. You can load the new version either via Universes, SqeakMap or Monticello.

> If so, is it possible to simply do the update both of these
> packages without getting rid of my current image?

You can not upgrade a Squeak image from Seaside 2.7 or an earlier
version. It will break your image.

Cheers
Philippe

> I received so many errors
> messages last time that I ended up doing this.
>
> -Conrad
>

> On 9/3/07, Damien Cassou <[hidden email] > wrote:
> > 2007/8/30, Philippe Marschall <[hidden email] >:
> > > To get Seaside 2.8 for Squeak load it from SqueakMap or directly load
> > > Seaside2.8a1-lr.462.mcz from the Seaside repository [4]. And update
> > > for universes should follow soon.
> >
> > The development universe has been updated. A squeak-web beta image
> > will soon be released too.
> >
> > --
> > Damien Cassou

Re: [ANN] Seaside 2.8 beta

Damien Cassou-3
2007/9/3, Conrad Taylor <[hidden email]>:
> Hi, is it necessary to install this dev-image just because of the update in
> Seaside?  If so, is it possible to simply do the update both of these
> packages without getting rid of my current image?  I received so many errors
> messages last time that I ended up doing this.

Take care that updating an image often does not work. You may want to
save before. Moreover, I would advise you to change your image often
and reinstall your code in it. You will then be sure that your
packages can be loaded. Different projects have been lost because
developers gave images instead of just packages.

--
Damien Cassou

Re: [ANN] Seaside 2.8 beta

Philippe Marschall
2007/9/4, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]>:

> 2007/9/3, Conrad Taylor <[hidden email]>:
> > Hi, is it necessary to install this dev-image just because of the update in
> > Seaside?  If so, is it possible to simply do the update both of these
> > packages without getting rid of my current image?  I received so many errors
> > messages last time that I ended up doing this.
>
> Take care that updating an image often does not work. You may want to
> save before. Moreover, I would advise you to change your image often
> and reinstall your code in it. You will then be sure that your
> packages can be loaded. Different projects have been lost because
> developers gave images instead of just packages.

If we had working continuous integration that would build images .....

Cheers
Phlippe

> --
> Damien Cassou

Re: [ANN] Seaside 2.8 beta

Conrad Taylor
Yes, I'm looking for a continuous type integration because it's a chore reinstall all the packages that I installed in the previous dev-image.  For example, I need to reinstall GLORP and it's associated prerequisites and dependencies.  Then I need to reconfigure all the preferences that were set in the previous image again.  In short, anything that I saved in the previous image needs to be done again.

-Conrad

On 9/4/07, Philippe Marschall <[hidden email]> wrote:
2007/9/4, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]>:

> 2007/9/3, Conrad Taylor <[hidden email]>:
> > Hi, is it necessary to install this dev-image just because of the update in
> > Seaside?  If so, is it possible to simply do the update both of these
> > packages without getting rid of my current image?  I received so many errors
> > messages last time that I ended up doing this.
>
> Take care that updating an image often does not work. You may want to
> save before. Moreover, I would advise you to change your image often
> and reinstall your code in it. You will then be sure that your
> packages can be loaded. Different projects have been lost because
> developers gave images instead of just packages.

If we had working continuous integration that would build images .....

Cheers
Phlippe

> --
> Damien Cassou

Re: [ANN] Seaside 2.8 beta

Damien Cassou-3
2007/9/4, Conrad Taylor <[hidden email]>:
> Yes, I'm looking for a continuous type integration because it's a chore
> reinstall all the packages that I installed in the previous dev-image.  For
> example, I need to reinstall GLORP and it's associated prerequisites and
> dependencies.

Why don't you add GLORP to the universe? It's easy and will really
ease future installations for everyone.
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5899

> Then I need to reconfigure all the preferences that were set
> in the previous image again.  In short, anything that I saved in the
> previous image needs to be done again.

Creates a script and file it in on all new images :-). In fact, that's
exactly how the squeak-dev images has been created.

--
Damien Cassou

Re: [ANN] Seaside 2.8 beta

NorbertHartl

On Tue, 2007-09-04 at 17:14 +0200, Damien Cassou wrote:

> 2007/9/4, Conrad Taylor <[hidden email]>:
> > Yes, I'm looking for a continuous type integration because it's a chore
> > reinstall all the packages that I installed in the previous dev-image.  For
> > example, I need to reinstall GLORP and it's associated prerequisites and
> > dependencies.
>

> Why don't you add GLORP to the universe? It's easy and will really
> ease future installations for everyone.
> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5899

I did it. It is really far from difficult :)
It is under category Persistence and is called
Glorp 0.4.129

Norbert

RE: [ANN] Seaside 2.8 beta

Ramon Leon-5

> On Tue, 2007-09-04 at 17:14 +0200, Damien Cassou wrote:
> > 2007/9/4, Conrad Taylor <[hidden email]>:
> > > Yes, I'm looking for a continuous type integration because it's a
> > > chore reinstall all the packages that I installed in the previous
> > > dev-image.  For example, I need to reinstall GLORP and it's
> > > associated prerequisites and dependencies.
> >

> > Why don't you add GLORP to the universe? It's easy and will really
> > ease future installations for everyone.
> > http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5899
> >

> I did it. It is really far from difficult :) It is under
> category Persistence and is called Glorp 0.4.129
>
> Norbert

What version of Glorp did you put in there?  Todd's latest port, or Rado's
old one?

Ramon Leon
http://onsmalltalk.com

12