[ANN] Seaside 2.9 Alpha 2

12

Re: [ANN] Seaside 2.9 Alpha 2

Conrad Taylor
On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 2:13 AM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It would be far more useful to have Sake/Packages definitions from the
> outset. Why not have a new class PackagesSeaside, or even just Seaside.
> Why not do it the other way around, define the dependencies in
> Sake/Packages and build the builder on top of that. It will even sort
> the load order for you.

I've added an experimental export option for Sake/Packages. I tried to
add as much meta-data as possible and it seems to work.

I don't know how useful this is though. Seems to be less intuitive
than the other two options and is takes a very long time to load even
a small code base. Maybe there is something wrong with the
Sake/Packages definition?

Hi Lukas, the two options that you have provided works great because it allows me to tailor it to my needs.  Furthermore, it's very fast to load.  I don't know if this experimental stuff is really necessary because when I select a check box, the associated dependencies are checked in regards to the core library.  Maybe, this can be
extended to the other items outside of the core library on the site.

-Conrad

Re: [ANN] Seaside 2.9 Alpha 2

Conrad Taylor
On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 6:26 AM, Conrad Taylor <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 2:13 AM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It would be far more useful to have Sake/Packages definitions from the
> outset. Why not have a new class PackagesSeaside, or even just Seaside.
> Why not do it the other way around, define the dependencies in
> Sake/Packages and build the builder on top of that. It will even sort
> the load order for you.

I've added an experimental export option for Sake/Packages. I tried to
add as much meta-data as possible and it seems to work.

I don't know how useful this is though. Seems to be less intuitive
than the other two options and is takes a very long time to load even
a small code base. Maybe there is something wrong with the
Sake/Packages definition?

Hi Lukas, the two options that you have provided works great because it allows me to tailor it to my needs.  Furthermore, it's very fast to load.  I don't know if this experimental stuff is really necessary because when I select a check box, the associated dependencies are checked in regards to the core library.  Maybe, this can be
extended to the other items outside of the core library on the site.

Please strike the last sentence in the above.  I guess my internet connection is a bit slow.

-Conrad

Re: [ANN] Seaside 2.9 Alpha 2

keith1y
Lukas Renggli wrote:

>> It would be far more useful to have Sake/Packages definitions from the
>> outset. Why not have a new class PackagesSeaside, or even just Seaside.
>> Why not do it the other way around, define the dependencies in
>> Sake/Packages and build the builder on top of that. It will even sort
>> the load order for you.
>>

> I've added an experimental export option for Sake/Packages. I tried to
> add as much meta-data as possible and it seems to work.

cool, very insteresting.
> I don't know how useful this is though.
The sake packages version can simply have all of the definitions, it
shouldn't need the seaside interface.
>  Seems to be less intuitive
> than the other two options and is takes a very long time to load even
> a small code base.
You are loading Installer and all of the package definitions for every
package supported by squeak. If someone is building an image using
Sake/Packages they will have all that loaded already in the base image
from which they are starting.

Also MC1.6 (with SystemEditor enabled) is 3 times faster than MC1.
> Maybe there is something wrong with the
> Sake/Packages definition?

perhaps, it looks ok though.
> Cheers,
> Lukas

Keith

Re: [ANN] Seaside 2.9 Alpha 2

keith1y
Lukas Renggli wrote:

>> It would be far more useful to have Sake/Packages definitions from the
>> outset. Why not have a new class PackagesSeaside, or even just Seaside.
>> Why not do it the other way around, define the dependencies in
>> Sake/Packages and build the builder on top of that. It will even sort
>> the load order for you.
>>

> I've added an experimental export option for Sake/Packages. I tried to
> add as much meta-data as possible and it seems to work.
>
> I don't know how useful this is though. Seems to be less intuitive
> than the other two options and is takes a very long time to load even
> a small code base. Maybe there is something wrong with the
> Sake/Packages definition?
>
> Cheers,
> Lukas
I have integrated your generated code to form part of the master
'Packages-Library', namely the "Seaside29Builder" class, which is
subclassed by Seaside29 and Seaside29Beta. This enables users of
Sake/Packages to use Seaside2.9 parts in Installer scripts just like any
other package.

e.g.

Installer sake
    addPackage: 'Seaside-Examples';