[ANN] Seaside 3.0 (2.9 alpha 4) PORT for Dolphin

[ANN] Seaside 3.0 (2.9 alpha 4) PORT for Dolphin

Sebastian Calvo
Hi list,

I'm very pleased to announce I have sucessfully ported Seaside 2.9
Alpha 4 to Dolphin Smalltalk X6.

The port includes all the Seaside packages offered by the Seaside
Builder site (http://builder.seaside.st) when we select the
advanced tab. The port uses Swazoo so Swazoo 2.031 and Sport was ported too.
I took the previous versions of Sport (ported by Esteban Maringolo).
That save me a lot of work and time.

Another time saving decision was the way in which the file-in was
done. I implemented a native Installer class in Dolphin
so I can handle Installer scripts in the same format as the script
generated by the Seaside Builder site. I can handle
Monticello (zipped files), extract the source and import it into the
STS (Omnibase based) Dolphin Versioning Control System.
After the pharo/squeak source code is imported I can load the packages
from the repository into Dolphin.

The current state of the port is a pre-alpha with some bugs that can
be solved in a few days.
After that I have to organize the packages for a release candidate
that will be informed here.

For the stable releases I will try to provide Installer scripts as
does the Seaside Builder, with the packages know
as dialect neutral to be downloaded directly from builder.seaside.st,
and the Dolphin packages from other server.
I believe this kind of distribution ensures a fast way to be up to
date with the Seaside main codebase (Pharo).

Things that does not work (yet)
- Other codecs that WANullCodec. You can not get UTF-8 encoding for strings.
- Partial continuations (I dont know if Dolphin Smalltalk X6 supports
this, I hope it does)
- We have 20 failing tests, related with Encoding/Unicode and Partial
Continuations. The rest is green.

Things to highlight:
- The SPI (Seaside Performance Index) is 1350 on my computer (in the
same computer Pharo gets 750).
- The installation procedure is pretty straightforward, being amazingly fast.

All the other stuff is working
see advanced tab for alpha 4 on http://builder.seaside.st/

I 'm would like to thanks InfOil (the company where I work) by
supporting this port,
Guillermo Sapaya (Development Manager) to put me in charge of this
task and to the previous
"porter" Esteban Maringolo (who also works in InfOil) for his effort
done with the first
version of Sport, specially the sockets weird interface ;)

>From now on InfOil will be trying to maintain the latest version of
Seaside up to date in Dolphin.
We're going to publish the installations instructions during the next
week, be patient :)

Best Regards
Jose Sebastian Calvo
(GallegO)

Re: [ANN] Seaside 3.0 (2.9 alpha 4) PORT for Dolphin

Julian Fitzell-2
That is excellent news, Jose, thanks.

Make sure you subscribe to the seaside-dev mailing list as well if you
haven't already and please let us know there if there is anything we
can do on our end to make the porting effort easier for you.

Cheers,

Julian

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 8:34 PM, GallegO <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> I'm very pleased to announce I have sucessfully ported Seaside 2.9
> Alpha 4 to Dolphin Smalltalk X6.
>
> The port includes all the Seaside packages offered by the Seaside
> Builder site (http://builder.seaside.st) when we select the
> advanced tab. The port uses Swazoo so Swazoo 2.031 and Sport was ported too.
> I took the previous versions of Sport (ported by Esteban Maringolo).
> That save me a lot of work and time.
>
> Another time saving decision was the way in which the file-in was
> done. I implemented a native Installer class in Dolphin
> so I can handle Installer scripts in the same format as the script
> generated by the Seaside Builder site. I can handle
> Monticello (zipped files), extract the source and import it into the
> STS (Omnibase based) Dolphin Versioning Control System.
> After the pharo/squeak source code is imported I can load the packages
> from the repository into Dolphin.
>
> The current state of the port is a pre-alpha with some bugs that can
> be solved in a few days.
> After that I have to organize the packages for a release candidate
> that will be informed here.
>
> For the stable releases I will try to provide Installer scripts as
> does the Seaside Builder, with the packages know
> as dialect neutral to be downloaded directly from builder.seaside.st,
> and the Dolphin packages from other server.
> I believe this kind of distribution ensures a fast way to be up to
> date with the Seaside main codebase (Pharo).
>
> Things that does not work (yet)
> - Other codecs that WANullCodec. You can not get UTF-8 encoding for strings.
> - Partial continuations (I dont know if Dolphin Smalltalk X6 supports
> this, I hope it does)
> - We have 20 failing tests, related with Encoding/Unicode and Partial
> Continuations. The rest is green.
>
> Things to highlight:
> - The SPI (Seaside Performance Index) is 1350 on my computer (in the
> same computer Pharo gets 750).
> - The installation procedure is pretty straightforward, being amazingly fast.
>
> All the other stuff is working
> see advanced tab for alpha 4 on http://builder.seaside.st/
>
> I 'm would like to thanks InfOil (the company where I work) by
> supporting this port,
> Guillermo Sapaya (Development Manager) to put me in charge of this
> task and to the previous
> "porter" Esteban Maringolo (who also works in InfOil) for his effort
> done with the first
> version of Sport, specially the sockets weird interface ;)
>
> >From now on InfOil will be trying to maintain the latest version of
> Seaside up to date in Dolphin.
> We're going to publish the installations instructions during the next
> week, be patient :)
>
> Best Regards
> Jose Sebastian Calvo
> (GallegO)

Re: [ANN] Seaside 3.0 (2.9 alpha 4) PORT for Dolphin

Esteban A. Maringolo
2009/9/11 Julian Fitzell <[hidden email]>:
> That is excellent news, Jose, thanks.
> Make sure you subscribe to the seaside-dev mailing list as well if you
> haven't already and please let us know there if there is anything we
> can do on our end to make the porting effort easier for you.

I hope we can catch up with the release of the port, in order to be
included in the Seaside Book (http://book.seaside.st) before it goes
to PDF/Print.

Sebastian has been working non-stop to finish this port.

Regards!

Esteban A. Maringolo

Re: [ANN] Seaside 3.0 (2.9 alpha 4) PORT for Dolphin

Sebastian Calvo
Thanks Julian.
Some changes are needed to core packages. I will post a list on -dev
the next week.
Those are minimal changes and I wont to recognize the job done by the
seaside core team in the standardization across dialects in Seaside
2.9.
Many thanks to the seaside team for developing Seaside!

Best Regards
Jose Sebastian Calvo

> [...]

>> All the other stuff is working
>> see advanced tab for alpha 4 on http://builder.seaside.st/
>>
>> I 'm would like to thanks InfOil (the company where I work) by
>> supporting this port,
>> Guillermo Sapaya (Development Manager) to put me in charge of this
>> task and to the previous
>> "porter" Esteban Maringolo (who also works in InfOil) for his effort
>> done with the first
>> version of Sport, specially the sockets weird interface ;)
>>
>> >From now on InfOil will be trying to maintain the latest version of
>> Seaside up to date in Dolphin.
>> We're going to publish the installations instructions during the next
>> week, be patient :)
>>
>> Best Regards
>> Jose Sebastian Calvo
>> (GallegO)

Re: [ANN] Seaside 3.0 (2.9 alpha 4) PORT for Dolphin

Lukas Renggli
Great, another port in the list!

>> That is excellent news, Jose, thanks.
>> Make sure you subscribe to the seaside-dev mailing list as well if you
>> haven't already and please let us know there if there is anything we
>> can do on our end to make the porting effort easier for you.
>
> I hope we can catch up with the release of the port, in order to be
> included in the Seaside Book (http://book.seaside.st) before it goes
> to PDF/Print.

That would be awesome to have a chapter on Dolphin. I've setup a build
process to assemble a new PDF every night (there are still some
glitches in the generated output) but we will constantly have an
up-to-date version. No need to be afraid of a deadline.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: [ANN] Seaside 3.0 (2.9 alpha 4) PORT for Dolphin

drush66
On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 8:34 PM, GallegO <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi list,

I'm very pleased to announce I have sucessfully ported Seaside 2.9
Alpha 4 to Dolphin Smalltalk X6.

This is really great, I was getting very worried that Dolphin might be left behind the new version of Seaside. Even more when I saw that it was not included in the first version of the book.

Many thanks!

rush

Re: [ANN] Seaside 3.0 (2.9 alpha 4) PORT for Dolphin

Philippe Marschall
2009/9/11 GallegO <[hidden email]>:
> Hi list,
>
> I'm very pleased to announce I have sucessfully ported Seaside 2.9
> Alpha 4 to Dolphin Smalltalk X6.

Awesome

> - We have 20 failing tests, related with Encoding/Unicode and Partial
> Continuations. The rest is green.

As you don't support utf-8 you don't need to load Seaside-Tests-UTF8.
Then these failures should go away.

Cheers
Philippe

Re: [ANN] Seaside 3.0 (2.9 alpha 4) PORT for Dolphin

stephane ducasse
It would be great indeed.
Are you ready to provide material because I have no machine
to run dolphin and no time.

Stef

On Sep 11, 2009, at 8:50 PM, Esteban A. Maringolo wrote:

> 2009/9/11 Julian Fitzell <[hidden email]>:
>> That is excellent news, Jose, thanks.
>> Make sure you subscribe to the seaside-dev mailing list as well if
>> you
>> haven't already and please let us know there if there is anything we
>> can do on our end to make the porting effort easier for you.
>
> I hope we can catch up with the release of the port, in order to be
> included in the Seaside Book (http://book.seaside.st) before it goes
> to PDF/Print.
>
> Sebastian has been working non-stop to finish this port.
>
> Regards!
>
> Esteban A. Maringolo

Re: [ANN] Seaside 3.0 (2.9 alpha 4) PORT for Dolphin

Sebastian Calvo
Hi Stephane:

What kind of material? Screenshots, installation instructions,
download sites and so on?

Cheers
  Sebastian Calvo

2009/10/1 stephane ducasse <[hidden email]>:

> It would be great indeed.
> Are you ready to provide material because I have no machine
> to run dolphin and no time.
>
> Stef
>
> On Sep 11, 2009, at 8:50 PM, Esteban A. Maringolo wrote:
>
>> 2009/9/11 Julian Fitzell <[hidden email]>:
>>>
>>> That is excellent news, Jose, thanks.
>>> Make sure you subscribe to the seaside-dev mailing list as well if you
>>> haven't already and please let us know there if there is anything we
>>> can do on our end to make the porting effort easier for you.
>>
>> I hope we can catch up with the release of the port, in order to be
>> included in the Seaside Book (http://book.seaside.st) before it goes
>> to PDF/Print.
>>
>> Sebastian has been working non-stop to finish this port.
>>
>> Regards!
>>
>> Esteban A. Maringolo

Re: [ANN] Seaside 3.0 (2.9 alpha 4) PORT for Dolphin

stephane ducasse
Something like the first chapters of the book
        getting started in Dolphin

stef