[ANN] Seaside 3.0.3 release

12

[ANN] Seaside 3.0.3 release

Philippe Marschall
We are pleased to announce the release of Seaside 3.0.3. This is a
bugfix release for Seaside 3.0. We recommend all users of Seaside 3.0
to update. A changelog is available at [1]

Special thanks to Dale for making this possible.

 [1] http://code.google.com/p/seaside/wiki/Seaside303Changelog

The Seaside Team

Re: [ANN] Seaside 3.0.3 release

hernanmd
Hi Philippe,

May you post how to update?

2010/12/18 Philippe Marschall <[hidden email]>:

> We are pleased to announce the release of Seaside 3.0.3. This is a
> bugfix release for Seaside 3.0. We recommend all users of Seaside 3.0
> to update. A changelog is available at [1]
>
> Special thanks to Dale for making this possible.
>
>  [1] http://code.google.com/p/seaside/wiki/Seaside303Changelog
>
> The Seaside Team

Hernán Morales
Information Technology Manager,
Institute of Veterinary Genetics.
National Scientific and Technical Research Council (CONICET).
La Plata (1900), Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Telephone: +54 (0221) 421-1799.
Internal: 422
Fax: 425-7980 or 421-1799.

Re: [ANN] Seaside 3.0.3 release

Philippe Marschall
2010/12/18 Hernán Morales Durand <[hidden email]>:
> Hi Philippe,
>
> May you post how to update?

Whatever you did to load the code in the first place, do it again and
you should be up to date.

Cheers
Philippe

Re: [ANN] Seaside 3.0.3 release

hernanmd
Ok, thanks.

Hernán

2010/12/19 Philippe Marschall <[hidden email]>:

> 2010/12/18 Hernán Morales Durand <[hidden email]>:
>> Hi Philippe,
>>
>> May you post how to update?
>
> Whatever you did to load the code in the first place, do it again and
> you should be up to date.
>
> Cheers
> Philippe

Re: [ANN] Seaside 3.0.3 release

mozillanerd
Good grief, can't specify please?
It is not obvious to me. Monticello?
Thanks

Re: [ANN] Seaside 3.0.3 release

mozillanerd
I have tried the following script without success:
<code>
Gofer new squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
package: 'ConfigutationOfSeaside3.0.3'; "or 303"
load.
</code>

Re: [ANN] Seaside 3.0.3 release

mozillanerd
Fritz Schenk <intrader <at> aol.com> writes:

> I have tried the following script without success:
> <code>
> Gofer new squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
> package: 'ConfigutationOfSeaside3.0.3'; "or 303"
> load.
> </code>

Sorry, 'ConfigurationOfSeaside3.0.3' does not work either

Re: [ANN] Seaside 3.0.3 release

mozillanerd
Fritz Schenk <intrader <at> aol.com> writes:

This works:
<code>
Gofer new squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
package: 'ConfigutationOfSeaside30';
load.
(Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfSeaside30) load.
</code>
>From the website!

Re: [ANN] Seaside 3.0.3 release

Philippe Marschall
2010/12/20 Fritz Schenk <[hidden email]>:
> Good grief, can't specify please?

No, unfortunately not. There are different ways to load Seaside and
don't know what parts you loaded. I could tell you a way but that
could load a whole lot of other stuff you don't want. If you tell me
what you did, I can tell you what you have to do.

> It is not obvious to me. Monticello?

You can use that, yes. It's a manual process but it works.

Cheers
Philippe

Re: [ANN] Seaside 3.0.3 release

sebastianconcept@gmail.co
Phillipe,

I don't get this.

Don't we have a recommended way to load seaside yet?

Fritz,

1. take a fresh image and do this:

Gofer new
squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
package: 'ConfigurationOfSeaside30';
load.
(Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfSeaside30) project latestVersion load.

2. then load your own code
3. done

It may take a while but is more fun than struggling with the irrelevant (which might easily take longer, make you feel more frustrated and tired).
Hint: using that idea you can make your own script (saved in a file, not in an image) that takes you from whatever fresh image you chose to your latest code in one shot.

On Dec 20, 2010, at 4:13 AM, Philippe Marschall wrote:

2010/12/20 Fritz Schenk <[hidden email]>:
Good grief, can't specify please?

No, unfortunately not. There are different ways to load Seaside and
don't know what parts you loaded. I could tell you a way but that
could load a whole lot of other stuff you don't want. If you tell me
what you did, I can tell you what you have to do.

It is not obvious to me. Monticello?

You can use that, yes. It's a manual process but it works.

Cheers
Philippe

Re: [ANN] Seaside 3.0.3 release

Johan Brichau-2
The 'standard' way is mentioned for each platform on seaside.st website.

E.g.: http://www.seaside.st/download/pharo

On 20 Dec 2010, at 12:49, Sebastian Sastre wrote:

> Phillipe,
>
> I don't get this.
>
> Don't we have a recommended way to load seaside yet?
>

> Fritz,
>
> 1. take a fresh image and do this:
>
> Gofer new
> squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
> package: 'ConfigurationOfSeaside30';
> load.
> (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfSeaside30) project latestVersion load.
>
> 2. then load your own code
> 3. done
>
> It may take a while but is more fun than struggling with the irrelevant (which might easily take longer, make you feel more frustrated and tired).
> Hint: using that idea you can make your own script (saved in a file, not in an image) that takes you from whatever fresh image you chose to your latest code in one shot.
>
> sebastian
>
> o/
>

> On Dec 20, 2010, at 4:13 AM, Philippe Marschall wrote:
>
>> 2010/12/20 Fritz Schenk <[hidden email]>:
>>> Good grief, can't specify please?
>>
>> No, unfortunately not. There are different ways to load Seaside and
>> don't know what parts you loaded. I could tell you a way but that
>> could load a whole lot of other stuff you don't want. If you tell me
>> what you did, I can tell you what you have to do.
>>
>>> It is not obvious to me. Monticello?
>>
>> You can use that, yes. It's a manual process but it works.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Philippe

Re: [ANN] Seaside 3.0.3 release

Tudor Girba
Thanks for all the good work.

Does this work in Pharo 1.2?

Cheers,
Doru

On 20 Dec 2010, at 14:43, Johan Brichau wrote:

> The 'standard' way is mentioned for each platform on seaside.st website.
>
> E.g.: http://www.seaside.st/download/pharo
>
> On 20 Dec 2010, at 12:49, Sebastian Sastre wrote:
>
>> Phillipe,
>>
>> I don't get this.
>>
>> Don't we have a recommended way to load seaside yet?
>>

>> Fritz,
>>
>> 1. take a fresh image and do this:
>>
>> Gofer new
>> squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
>> package: 'ConfigurationOfSeaside30';
>> load.
>> (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfSeaside30) project latestVersion load.
>>
>> 2. then load your own code
>> 3. done
>>
>> It may take a while but is more fun than struggling with the irrelevant (which might easily take longer, make you feel more frustrated and tired).
>> Hint: using that idea you can make your own script (saved in a file, not in an image) that takes you from whatever fresh image you chose to your latest code in one shot.
>>
>> sebastian
>>
>> o/

>>> No, unfortunately not. There are different ways to load Seaside and
>>> don't know what parts you loaded. I could tell you a way but that
>>> could load a whole lot of other stuff you don't want. If you tell me
>>> what you did, I can tell you what you have to do.

>>> You can use that, yes. It's a manual process but it works.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Philippe

www.tudorgirba.com

"From an abstract enough point of view, any two things are similar."

Re: [ANN] Seaside 3.0.3 release

mozillanerd
I hope you don't mind me moving up your thread. I have done the following:
<code>
Gofer new squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
package: 'ConfigutationOfSeaside30';
load.
(Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfSeaside30) load.
</code>
I don't quite get how Monticello gets from 30 to 3.0.3, but
I prematurely said that it worked as it seemed to start to load a lot of stuff -
on the way to the end, a message appeared that a lot of stuff would be modified
or changed (I don't quite remember the message). I said proceed, and it finished.
I saved the image.
When I restart however the IDE is hosed; click on anything in the left pane of
the browsers (for example on 'AST-Core-Matching') gets
"PluggableButtonMorph(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #enabled

I have no idea how to recover from this

Re: [ANN] Seaside 3.0.3 release

sebastianconcept@gmail.co
it would help to help you if you say which image did you use? (it was dev, one click or pharo core?)
which vm were you using? (standard, cog)?
which OS?

2010/12/20 Tudor Girba <[hidden email]>:
> Thanks for all the good work.
>
> Does this work in Pharo 1.2?

Maybe, we haven't tested it.

Cheers
Philippe

Re: [ANN] Seaside 3.0.3 release

Dale Henrichs
On 12/20/2010 10:37 AM, Philippe Marschall wrote:

> 2010/12/20 Tudor Girba<[hidden email]>:
>> Thanks for all the good work.
>>
>> Does this work in Pharo 1.2?
>
> Maybe, we haven't tested it.
>
> Cheers
> Philippe

The last time I tried loading Seaside3.0 into Pharo1.2, the load failed
... if I recall correctly, there were issues with OB not working in
Pharo1.2 at the time ...

I would think that we'd need a relatively stable Pharo1.2 dev image
(might be getting close, tho I can't tell for sure), before it makes
sense to try loading again ...

Dale

Re: [ANN] Seaside 3.0.3 release

Dale Henrichs
Fritz,

For figuring out the whole problem we need to know more details (as
Sebastian mentioned).

With regards to Metacello, I can tell you that:

   Gofer new
     squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
     package: 'ConfigutationOfSeaside30';
     load.

Pulls the latest version of the Seaside30 configuration down from
SqueakSource. And:

   (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfSeaside30) load.

loads the latest released version of Seaside30 from the configuration.

Dale

On 12/20/2010 10:23 AM, Fritz Schenk wrote:

> I hope you don't mind me moving up your thread. I have done the following:
> <code>
> Gofer new squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
> package: 'ConfigutationOfSeaside30';
> load.
> (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfSeaside30) load.
> </code>
> I don't quite get how Monticello gets from 30 to 3.0.3, but
> I prematurely said that it worked as it seemed to start to load a lot of stuff -
> on the way to the end, a message appeared that a lot of stuff would be modified
> or changed (I don't quite remember the message). I said proceed, and it finished.
> I saved the image.
> When I restart however the IDE is hosed; click on anything in the left pane of
> the browsers (for example on 'AST-Core-Matching') gets
> "PluggableButtonMorph(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #enabled
>
> I have no idea how to recover from this

Re: [ANN] Seaside 3.0.3 release

mozillanerd
Thanks for the help guys. I still don't know why it fails in the Browser.
I have reloaded the latest version of Pharo 1.1.1. 'one click' image and then
loaded Seaside 3.0.3 by making reference to ConfigurationOfSeaside30 - go figure!

I have abandoned the bad IDE as I don't know how to restore to the lates version
before I loaded ConfigurationOfSeaside30 into it.

The new IDE based on Pharo1.1.1 seems to work and loads Seaside Ok.

Re: [ANN] Seaside 3.0.3 release

Dale Henrichs
Fritz,

When you say that you "abandon the bad IDE" do you mean that you had to
close the browser/window after loading Seaside 3.0..3?

If so then I think that the issues you were seeing are "expected". A
newer version of the OB could could be loaded when Seaside 3.0.x is
loaded and that can cause old windows to become invalid ... it is
something I've seen myself and whether you get walkbacks or not depends
upon how old your starting image is ...

Dale

  On 12/20/2010 03:58 PM, Fritz Schenk wrote:

> Thanks for the help guys. I still don't know why it fails in the Browser.
> I have reloaded the latest version of Pharo 1.1.1. 'one click' image and then
> loaded Seaside 3.0.3 by making reference to ConfigurationOfSeaside30 - go figure!
>
> I have abandoned the bad IDE as I don't know how to restore to the lates version
> before I loaded ConfigurationOfSeaside30 into it.
>
> The new IDE based on Pharo1.1.1 seems to work and loads Seaside Ok.

Re: [ANN] Seaside 3.0.3 release

mozillanerd
Indeed, when I close the old browser and open a new one, the new one works.
I wish there was some warning of this 'feature'.

Thanks

12