[ANN] Seaside 3.0.7 release

12

[ANN] Seaside 3.0.7 release

recursive
Does this work with Pharo 1.3 ? I'm getting an error.

Thanks

Re: [ANN] Seaside 3.0.7 release

Mark Smith
It should work.

The Seaside One-Click image is based on Pharo 1.3.

I've just successfully loaded it into a Pharo 1.3 image.

What error are you getting?

On 2 Apr 2012, at 19:13, [hidden email] wrote:

> Does this work with Pharo 1.3 ? I'm getting an error.
>
> Thanks

Re: [ANN] Seaside 3.0.7 release

sebastianconcept@gmail.co
how does you start seaside on Zn?

what's the new way to invoke a

WAKomEncoded ?

On Apr 2, 2012, at 3:13 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

Does this work with Pharo 1.3 ? I'm getting an error.

Thanks

Re: [ANN] Seaside 3.0.7 release

Sven Van Caekenberghe
Sebastian,

On 03 Apr 2012, at 14:44, Sebastian Sastre wrote:

> how does you start seaside on Zn?

Like any other adaptor.

Use the GUI (Seaside Control Panel), or programmatically:

        ZnZincServerAdaptor startOn: 8080

But if you need more customization, you can go further:

        ZnZincServerAdaptor new
                port: 8080;
                serverClass: ZnManagingMultiThreadedServer;
                start

BTW, these are from the class comment of ZnZincServerAdaptor ;-)

HTH,

Sven

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: [ANN] Seaside 3.0.7 release

sebastianconcept@gmail.co
thanks Sven.

I needed that customization.

What I didn't get was the difference between the multithreaded and the managed multithreaded

which is better for what?

On 03 Apr 2012, at 15:17, Sebastian Sastre wrote:

> I needed that customization.
>
> What I didn't get was the difference between the multithreaded and the managed multithreaded
>
> which is better for what?

---
Name: Zinc-HTTP-SvenVanCaekenberghe.248
Author: SvenVanCaekenberghe
Time: 4 March 2012, 8:25:19 pm
UUID: aaab5645-ed48-4174-bdb5-53037fb297db
Ancestors: Zinc-HTTP-SvenVanCaekenberghe.247

Switched ZnServer class>>#defaultServerClass to ZnManagingMultiThreadedServer;
[…]
---

ZnManagingMultiThreadedServer differs from its superclass ZnMultiThreadedServer in that it keeps explicit track of each (kept-alive) client connection. Tracking open client connections is important to correctly handle the case where people save an image with a running server. Before, that sometimes resulted in crashes of all kinds because even though the server (socket) itself came back up correctly, it happened that client worker process kept reading or writing to (now) stale socket streams. Now, when the server shuts down (#stop's) it closes all client connections explicitly.

Sven

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: [ANN] Seaside 3.0.7 release

sebastianconcept@gmail.co
makes sense.

looks good!

thanks again

On Apr 3, 2012, at 10:30 AM, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:

On 03 Apr 2012, at 15:17, Sebastian Sastre wrote:

I needed that customization.

What I didn't get was the difference between the multithreaded and the managed multithreaded

which is better for what?

---
Name: Zinc-HTTP-SvenVanCaekenberghe.248

Re: [ANN] Seaside 3.0.7 release

sebastianconcept@gmail.co
I think I broke something about Zinc.

the root answers the Zinc welcome but:

localhost:8080/config

answers Not Found

I took a look to WADispatcher default and it has all the expected handlers but it seems zinc isn't delegating to it anymore and evaluating: WAConfigurationTool initialize (which is supposed to register the /config app in seaside doesn't help)

any pointers?

On Apr 3, 2012, at 10:30 AM, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:

On 03 Apr 2012, at 15:17, Sebastian Sastre wrote:

I needed that customization.

What I didn't get was the difference between the multithreaded and the managed multithreaded

which is better for what?

---
Name: Zinc-HTTP-SvenVanCaekenberghe.248

Re: [ANN] Seaside 3.0.7 release

Nick
Hi Sebastian,

If I load a clean 3.0.7 all is well - I can access /browse, /config etc.
I tried downloading Zinc-HTTP-SvenVanCaekenberghe.248 to see if that broke anything - but all seems good.
Could it be something you've loaded/ changed on on-top of the base 3.0.7?

Cheers

Nick

On 4 April 2012 02:38, Sebastian Sastre <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

In case you missed it the Seaside control panel is available from the World menu->Tools->Seaside Control Panel

You can start and stop Zinc from there.

Re: [ANN] Seaside 3.0.7 release

Nick
Hi Sven,

---
Name: Zinc-HTTP-SvenVanCaekenberghe.248
Author: SvenVanCaekenberghe
Time: 4 March 2012, 8:25:19 pm
UUID: aaab5645-ed48-4174-bdb5-53037fb297db
Ancestors: Zinc-HTTP-SvenVanCaekenberghe.247

Switched ZnServer class>>#defaultServerClass to ZnManagingMultiThreadedServer;
[…]
---

ZnManagingMultiThreadedServer differs from its superclass ZnMultiThreadedServer in that it keeps explicit track of each (kept-alive) client connection. Tracking open client connections is important to correctly handle the case where people save an image with a running server. Before, that sometimes resulted in crashes of all kinds because even though the server (socket) itself came back up correctly, it happened that client worker process kept reading or writing to (now) stale socket streams. Now, when the server shuts down (#stop's) it closes all client connections explicitly.

Currently the 3.0.7 one-click and developer images use ZnMultiThreadedServer rather than ZnManagingMultiThreadedServer and ConfigurationOfSeaside30 loads the stable configuration of Zinc which doesn't incorporate the change to #defaultServerClass to move from ZnMultiThreadedServer to ZnManagingMultiThreadedServer.

From your description above it sounds as though images uses ZnMultiThreadedServer could experience crashes. Is is worth updating the #stable version in ConfigurationOfZincHTTPComponents and the 3.0.7 one-click and developer images as Zinc is now used as the default server adaptor?

Cheers

Nick

Re: [ANN] Seaside 3.0.7 release

Sven Van Caekenberghe
Sebastian,

On 04 Apr 2012, at 03:38, Sebastian Sastre wrote:

> I think I broke something about Zinc.
>
> the root answers the Zinc welcome but:
>
> localhost:8080/config
>
> answers Not Found
>
> I took a look to WADispatcher default and it has all the expected handlers but it seems zinc isn't delegating to it anymore and evaluating: WAConfigurationTool initialize (which is supposed to register the /config app in seaside doesn't help)
>
> any pointers?
That is why there are easy and hard ways to do the same ;-)

Seaside adaptors, the way they are managed and their interactions with an HTTP server are a bit hard to understand, so easily broken.

As for pointers: ZnServers work by using a delegate to handle requests. If you see the welcome page, that means that the server that you are talking to has a ZnDefaultServerDelegate instance as delegate. Normally, there should be a ZnSeasideServerAdaptorDelegate instance there (see ZnZincServerAdaptor>>#basicStart).

But you have to understand the interaction between WAServerAdaptor and WAServerManager too: the manager is in control.

HTH,

Sven

--
Sven Van Caekenberghe
http://stfx.eu

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: [ANN] Seaside 3.0.7 release

Sven Van Caekenberghe
Nick,

On 04 Apr 2012, at 08:52, Nick Ager wrote:

> Hi Sven,
>
> ---
> Name: Zinc-HTTP-SvenVanCaekenberghe.248
> Author: SvenVanCaekenberghe
> Time: 4 March 2012, 8:25:19 pm
> UUID: aaab5645-ed48-4174-bdb5-53037fb297db
> Ancestors: Zinc-HTTP-SvenVanCaekenberghe.247
>
> Switched ZnServer class>>#defaultServerClass to ZnManagingMultiThreadedServer;
> […]
> ---
>
> ZnManagingMultiThreadedServer differs from its superclass ZnMultiThreadedServer in that it keeps explicit track of each (kept-alive) client connection. Tracking open client connections is important to correctly handle the case where people save an image with a running server. Before, that sometimes resulted in crashes of all kinds because even though the server (socket) itself came back up correctly, it happened that client worker process kept reading or writing to (now) stale socket streams. Now, when the server shuts down (#stop's) it closes all client connections explicitly.
>
> Currently the 3.0.7 one-click and developer images use ZnMultiThreadedServer rather than ZnManagingMultiThreadedServer and ConfigurationOfSeaside30 loads the stable configuration of Zinc which doesn't incorporate the change to #defaultServerClass to move from ZnMultiThreadedServer to ZnManagingMultiThreadedServer.
>
> From your description above it sounds as though images uses ZnMultiThreadedServer could experience crashes. Is is worth updating the #stable version in ConfigurationOfZincHTTPComponents and the 3.0.7 one-click and developer images as Zinc is now used as the default server adaptor?
>
> Cheers
>
> Nick
Thanks a lot for taking care and pushing this.

Yes it would be a good idea to use a later version with the new default.

Pharo 1.3/1/4 need another Zn update as well (the latest integrated version was Zinc-HTTP-SvenVanCaekenberghe.242). I will create a new issue for that.

It is (and has been) possible to explicitely use ZnManagingMultiThreadedServer, like this:

        ZnZincServerAdaptor new
                port: 8080;
                serverClass: ZnManagingMultiThreadedServer;
                start

Or we could change ZnZincServerAdaptor to use that class by default.

I would prefer the full Zn update, I guess, but that is the most work.

Sven

--
Sven Van Caekenberghe
http://stfx.eu

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: [ANN] Seaside 3.0.7 release

Nick
Hi Sven,

Could you simply update #stable version in ConfigurationOfZincHTTPComponents to reflect your recent changes. Then I think ConfigurationOfSeaside30 should load the correct version. Of course the one-click and developer builds will still need to updated

Cheers

Nick

On 04 Apr 2012, at 10:37, Nick Ager wrote:

> Could you simply update #stable version in ConfigurationOfZincHTTPComponents to reflect your recent changes. Then I think ConfigurationOfSeaside30 should load the correct version. Of course the one-click and developer builds will still need to updated

I am a real noob with MetacelloConfigurations (I know, I have to learn, but I have no time for that now).
Paul DeBruicker and François Stephany helped maintain it.
I would do more harm than good I am afraid.

Sorry,

Sven

BTW, the pharo patch to update is http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=5579

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: [ANN] Seaside 3.0.7 release

Nick

I am a real noob with MetacelloConfigurations (I know, I have to learn, but I have no time for that now).
Paul DeBruicker and François Stephany helped maintain it.
I would do more harm than good I am afraid.

Nicely delegated :). Can Paul/François or someone else let the list know when ConfigurationOfZincHTTPComponents is updated so we can update the Seaside 3.0.7 one-click and developer releases

Thanks

Nick

Re: [ANN] Seaside 3.0.7 release

Paul DeBruicker
So should the configuration for Pharo 1.3 and 1.4 be moved forward to
the latest versions for all Zinc packages on Squeaksource?

If not, which versions of which packages comprise the stable version?

Thanks

Paul

On 12-04-04 06:40 AM, Nick Ager wrote:

>     I am a real noob with MetacelloConfigurations (I know, I have to
>     learn, but I have no time for that now).
>     Paul DeBruicker and François Stephany helped maintain it.
>     I would do more harm than good I am afraid.
>

> Nicely delegated :). Can Paul/François or someone else let the list know
> when ConfigurationOfZincHTTPComponents is updated so we can update the
> Seaside 3.0.7 one-click and developer releases
>
> Thanks
>
> Nick

Re: [ANN] Seaside 3.0.7 release

Nick

On 4 April 2012 16:45, Paul DeBruicker <[hidden email]> wrote:
So should the configuration for Pharo 1.3 and 1.4 be moved forward to the latest versions for all Zinc packages on Squeaksource?

Thats my understanding, unless Sven's bug entry contradicts that: http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=5579

ConfigurationOfZincHTTPComponents updated to latest versions - was:Re: [Seaside] [ANN] Seaside 3.0.7 release

Paul DeBruicker
I put up to date versions of the configurations in the Zinc repo and the
MetacelloRepository.  They specify using the most recent versions of the
packages in the Zinc Repository. These changes only affect Pharo. I did
not touch the Gemstone configs.

On 12-04-04 09:07 AM, Nick Ager wrote:

> On 4 April 2012 16:45, Paul DeBruicker <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     So should the configuration for Pharo 1.3 and 1.4 be moved forward
>     to the latest versions for all Zinc packages on Squeaksource?
>

> Thats my understanding, unless Sven's bug entry contradicts that:

Re: ConfigurationOfZincHTTPComponents updated to latest versions - was:Re: [Seaside] [ANN] Seaside 3.0.7 release

Sven Van Caekenberghe

On 04 Apr 2012, at 18:36, Paul DeBruicker wrote:

> I put up to date versions of the configurations in the Zinc repo and the MetacelloRepository.  They specify using the most recent versions of the packages in the Zinc Repository. These changes only affect Pharo. I did not touch the Gemstone configs.

Thanks a lot, Paul !