[ANN] Seaside 3.1 and 3.0.10 release

12

[ANN] Seaside 3.1 and 3.0.10 release

Philippe Marschall
We are pleased to announce the releases of Seaside 3.1 and 3.0.10.
Seaside 3.1 is a feature release and contains a range of improvements
and fixes from a variety of people. Seaside 3.0.10 is a minor release
of Seaside 3.0 containing only a single bug fix.

The changes can be view here:
http://code.google.com/p/seaside/wiki/Seaside310Changelog and here:
http://code.google.com/p/seaside/wiki/Seaside3010Changelog

A one-click image is available here:
http://www.seaside.st/distributions/Seaside-3.1-OneClick.zip and here:
http://www.seaside.st/distributions/Seaside-3.0.10-OneClick.zip
Mavericks user beware the one click images are not signed.

Seaside's Metacello configuration has been updated, so Seaside 3.1 can
be loaded into Pharo with:

Gofer new
    url:'http://www.smalltalkhub.com/mc/Seaside/MetacelloConfigurations/main';
    package: 'ConfigurationOfSeaside3';
    load.
((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfSeaside3) project version: #stable) load.

For more control over what gets loaded check out the class comment of
ConfigurationOfSeaside3 that lists the supported groups.

We would like to thank everybody who contributed to these releases.

The Seaside Team

Re: [Seaside-dev] [Seaside] [ANN] Seaside 3.1 and 3.0.10 release

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

On 27 Dec 2013, at 11:57, Philippe Marschall <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We are pleased to announce the releases of Seaside 3.1 and 3.0.10.

That is great news. Congratulations and thank you to the whole team.

> Seaside 3.1 is a feature release and contains a range of improvements
> and fixes from a variety of people. Seaside 3.0.10 is a minor release
> of Seaside 3.0 containing only a single bug fix.
>
> The changes can be view here:
> http://code.google.com/p/seaside/wiki/Seaside310Changelog and here:
> http://code.google.com/p/seaside/wiki/Seaside3010Changelog
>
> A one-click image is available here:
> http://www.seaside.st/distributions/Seaside-3.1-OneClick.zip and here:
> http://www.seaside.st/distributions/Seaside-3.0.10-OneClick.zip
> Mavericks user beware the one click images are not signed.

It’s a pity those are still based on Pharo 1.3, which is becoming quite old now.

> Seaside's Metacello configuration has been updated, so Seaside 3.1 can
> be loaded into Pharo with:
>
> Gofer new
>    url:'http://www.smalltalkhub.com/mc/Seaside/MetacelloConfigurations/main';
>    package: 'ConfigurationOfSeaside3';
>    load.
> ((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfSeaside3) project version: #stable) load.

Images of Pharo 2.0 or 3.0 with Seaside preloaded can be found here:

  https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/Seaside/

Sven

> For more control over what gets loaded check out the class comment of
> ConfigurationOfSeaside3 that lists the supported groups.
>
> We would like to thank everybody who contributed to these releases.
>
> The Seaside Team

Re: [ANN] Seaside 3.1 and 3.0.10 release

sebastianconcept@gmail.co
Can it be used with Comanche?

Is

Seaside-Adaptors-Comanche

still available?

On Dec 27, 2013, at 8:57 AM, Philippe Marschall <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We are pleased to announce the releases of Seaside 3.1 and 3.0.10.
> Seaside 3.1 is a feature release and contains a range of improvements
> and fixes from a variety of people. Seaside 3.0.10 is a minor release
> of Seaside 3.0 containing only a single bug fix.
>
> The changes can be view here:
> http://code.google.com/p/seaside/wiki/Seaside310Changelog and here:
> http://code.google.com/p/seaside/wiki/Seaside3010Changelog
>
> A one-click image is available here:
> http://www.seaside.st/distributions/Seaside-3.1-OneClick.zip and here:
> http://www.seaside.st/distributions/Seaside-3.0.10-OneClick.zip
> Mavericks user beware the one click images are not signed.
>
> Seaside's Metacello configuration has been updated, so Seaside 3.1 can
> be loaded into Pharo with:
>
> Gofer new
>    url:'http://www.smalltalkhub.com/mc/Seaside/MetacelloConfigurations/main';
>    package: 'ConfigurationOfSeaside3';
>    load.
> ((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfSeaside3) project version: #stable) load.
>
> For more control over what gets loaded check out the class comment of
> ConfigurationOfSeaside3 that lists the supported groups.
>
> We would like to thank everybody who contributed to these releases.
>
> The Seaside Team

Re: [ANN] Seaside 3.1 and 3.0.10 release

Philippe Marschall
On Tue, Dec 31, 2013 at 4:50 AM, Sebastian Sastre
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Can it be used with Comanche?
>
> Is
>
> Seaside-Adaptors-Comanche
>
> still available?

Yes.

Cheers
Philippe

Re: [ANN] Seaside 3.1 and 3.0.10 release

sebastianconcept@gmail.co

On Dec 31, 2013, at 6:18 AM, Philippe Marschall <[hidden email]> wrote:

Seaside-Adaptors-Comanche

still available?

Yes.

cool.

This ends up with an exception:

(Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfSeaside3) project latestVersion
load: #('Seaside-Adaptors-Comanche').

Am I doing the right thing?

Re: [ANN] Seaside 3.1 and 3.0.10 release

Johan Brichau-2

On 31 Dec 2013, at 19:35, Sebastian Sastre <[hidden email]> wrote:

This ends up with an exception:

(Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfSeaside3) project latestVersion
load: #('Seaside-Adaptors-Comanche').

Am I doing the right thing?

Try this if you intend to work with Seaside3.1:

((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfSeaside3) project version:#stable)
load: #('Seaside-Adaptors-Comanche’).

It seems the configuration for 3.0.x breaks here. I am puzzled why because it seems it cannot find the Kom project… or at least that is where Metacello breaks on it.
Will investigate…

Johan

On 01 Jan 2014, at 10:02, Johan Brichau <[hidden email]> wrote:

It seems the configuration for 3.0.x breaks here. I am puzzled why because it seems it cannot find the Kom project… or at least that is where Metacello breaks on it.
Will investigate…

Now I remember…
The Kom project was explicitly removed because it does not work in Pharo2 or Pharo3.

It will still work in Pharo1.4 and should still work in Squeak.

So, unless you get it working, we drop Comanche/Kom from Pharo2 and upwards.

regards
Johan

Re: [ANN] Seaside 3.1 and 3.0.10 release

sebastianconcept@gmail.co
oh, mmm

I'm taking a look into it

thanks for the pointer.

On Jan 1, 2014, at 7:34 AM, Johan Brichau <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 01 Jan 2014, at 10:02, Johan Brichau <[hidden email]> wrote:

It seems the configuration for 3.0.x breaks here. I am puzzled why because it seems it cannot find the Kom project… or at least that is where Metacello breaks on it.
Will investigate…

Now I remember…
The Kom project was explicitly removed because it does not work in Pharo2 or Pharo3.

It will still work in Pharo1.4 and should still work in Squeak.

So, unless you get it working, we drop Comanche/Kom from Pharo2 and upwards.

regards
Johan

Re: [ANN] Seaside 3.1 and 3.0.10 release

Johan Brichau-2
Any specific reason you do not want to switch to the Zinc adapter?

Johan (sent from my mobile)

On 01 Jan 2014, at 13:51, Sebastian Sastre <[hidden email]> wrote:

oh, mmm

I'm taking a look into it

thanks for the pointer.

On Jan 1, 2014, at 7:34 AM, Johan Brichau <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 01 Jan 2014, at 10:02, Johan Brichau <[hidden email]> wrote:

It seems the configuration for 3.0.x breaks here. I am puzzled why because it seems it cannot find the Kom project… or at least that is where Metacello breaks on it.
Will investigate…

Now I remember…
The Kom project was explicitly removed because it does not work in Pharo2 or Pharo3.

It will still work in Pharo1.4 and should still work in Squeak.

So, unless you get it working, we drop Comanche/Kom from Pharo2 and upwards.

regards
Johan

Re: [ANN] Seaside 3.1 and 3.0.10 release

Philippe Marschall
On Tue, Dec 31, 2013 at 7:35 PM, Sebastian Sastre
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Dec 31, 2013, at 6:18 AM, Philippe Marschall <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Seaside-Adaptors-Comanche
>
> still available?
>

> Yes.
>

> cool.
>
> This ends up with an exception:
>
> (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfSeaside3) project latestVersion
> load: #('Seaside-Adaptors-Comanche').
>
> Am I doing the right thing?

Something like this works for me:

Gofer new
    url:'http://www.smalltalkhub.com/mc/Seaside/MetacelloConfigurations/main';
    package: 'ConfigurationOfSeaside3';
    load.
((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfSeaside3) project version: #stable)
load: #(‘Core’ ‘Kom’).

Cheers
Philippe

On Jan 1, 2014, at 11:32 AM, Johan Brichau <[hidden email]> wrote:

Any specific reason you do not want to switch to the Zinc adapter?

Yes.

Only one if I recall correctly.

airflowing has an uploader with progress indicator that is tightly coupled with Comanche.

As far as I remember.. I've tried Zinc and it's all good except for that and unfortunately that's a deal-breaker for me.

o/

PD: The critical part is in having in the http server the same object receiving the chunks of bytes in a way that can trigger over and over some kind of onUploadProgress: event with the current size in the temp file and knowing the original request. If you tell me I can do the same with Zinc, I might take a look somewhen :D

I've patched comanche to these as foundation of that idea:

WAComancheRequestConverter>>processMultipartFields: aKomRequest
| fields |

fields := WARequestFields new.

aKomRequest multipartFormFieldsDo: [ :chunk |
| key value |
key := chunk fieldName.
value := chunk fileName isEmptyOrNil
ifTrue: [
String streamContents: [ :stream |
chunk saveToStream: stream ] ]
ifFalse: [self convertMultipartFileField: chunk for: aKomRequest].
fields at: key put: value ].
"ugly"
aKomRequest propertyAt: #postFields put: fields

WAComancheRequestConverter>>convertMultipartFileField: aChunk for: aKomRequest
"Creates a temporary file, announces it
and begins the upload."

| temporaryFile |

temporaryFile := self fileClass fromChunk: aChunk for: aKomRequest.
temporaryFile fileName: (self codec url decode: aChunk fileName).
self triggerEvent: #aboutToUpload: with: temporaryFile.
temporaryFile startUploadOn: aChunk.
^ temporaryFile

On Jan 1, 2014, at 12:44 PM, Philippe Marschall <[hidden email]> wrote:

Something like this works for me:

Gofer new
   url:'http://www.smalltalkhub.com/mc/Seaside/MetacelloConfigurations/main';
   package: 'ConfigurationOfSeaside3';
   load.
((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfSeaside3) project version: #stable)
load: #(‘Core’ ‘Kom’).

Cheers
Philippe

thanks looks great, I'll use that

Re: [ANN] Seaside 3.1 and 3.0.10 release

DiegoLont
Hi all,

I am trying to load version 3.0.9 into gemstone, but this fails due to the following error:

MetacelloVersionConstructor does not understand baseline: with:.

When I look in my moose image, I can reproduce this error when I try to determine with GTMetaceller what packages to load for Seaside3 for the platform gs.3.x. I do not have any implementers of this message, but I see that the Zinc configuration also uses this construction. Does anyone have a clue why this is added, and why the metaceller gemstone does not understand this?

Cheers,
Diego_______________________________________________
seaside mailing list

Re: [ANN] Seaside 3.1 and 3.0.10 release

Johan Brichau-2
Diego,

You need to load latest Metacello first.

Johan

On 03 Jan 2014, at 11:55, Diego Lont <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to load version 3.0.9 into gemstone, but this fails due to the following error:
>
> MetacelloVersionConstructor does not understand baseline: with:.
>
> When I look in my moose image, I can reproduce this error when I try to determine with GTMetaceller what packages to load for Seaside3 for the platform gs.3.x. I do not have any implementers of this message, but I see that the Zinc configuration also uses this construction. Does anyone have a clue why this is added, and why the metaceller gemstone does not understand this?
>
> Cheers,
> Diego_______________________________________________
> seaside mailing list

Re: [ANN] Seaside 3.1 and 3.0.10 release

sebastianconcept@gmail.co
On Jan 1, 2014, at 11:32 AM, Johan Brichau <[hidden email]> wrote:

Any specific reason you do not want to switch to the Zinc adapter?

Johan (sent from my mobile)

Yesterday I've learned there is a name for what Zinc is missing for me and it's called streaming uploads

Re: [ANN] Seaside 3.1 and 3.0.10 release

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Sebastian,

On 08 Jan 2014, at 14:05, Sebastian Sastre <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Jan 1, 2014, at 11:32 AM, Johan Brichau <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Any specific reason you do not want to switch to the Zinc adapter?
>>
>> Johan (sent from my mobile)
>
> Yesterday I've learned there is a name for what Zinc is missing for me and it's called streaming uploads

At the lower levels the Zinc HTTP Components Framework can certainly do streaming input/output of ZnRequests and ZnResponses. It is just a question of exposing this at higher levels, ZnServer request handling, delegates, Seaside adaptor and finally Seaside itself. How to do this (well) is not that trivial.

Just talking about the Zinc level, you should be able to do something like this (not tested):

(ZnServer startDefaultOn: 8099)
  reader: [ :stream | ZnRequest readStreamingFrom: stream ];
  onRequestRespond: [ :request |
    request stream next: request contentLength ].

In the handler block request is now a ZnStreamingEntity instance, the header has been read, but not the content. You can access the stream directly. Of course, you also have to look at the header info to know the Content-Type and Content-Lenght, and it is your responsibility to read all data correctly. There is also the question what you will do with the data itself.

In any case, this can only be a per server setting, as far as I can see.

Sven

PS: The class ZnUtils ('streaming' protocol) contains code that does incremental stream processing - you might look there for inspiration.

> sebastian
>
> o/

Re: [ANN] Seaside 3.1 and 3.0.10 release

DiegoLont
Hi Johan,

I got side tracked with a few other bugs, but now I really want to fix this problem. I made sure my configuration loads the latest version of Metacello … and still no improvement.

But when I look closer, maybe I do not load the latestVersion … or better said: is the latestVersion not the correct version? I used the template, that is included in all configuration to load Metacello:

        "Bootstrap Gofer (if necessary), bootstrap ConfigurationOfMetacello (using old Gofer API), then load the latest
        version of Metacello itself."
        Smalltalk at: #Gofer ifAbsent: [
                "Current version of Gofer from which to bootstrap - as of 1.0-beta.15"
                self bootstrapPackage: 'Gofer-lr.83' from: 'http://seaside.gemstone.com/ss/metacello' ].
        Smalltalk at: #Gofer ifPresent: [:goferClass | | gofer |
                gofer := goferClass new
                        url: 'http://seaside.gemstone.com/ss/metacello';
                        yourself.
                [ gofer addPackage: 'ConfigurationOfMetacello' ] on: Warning do: [:ex | ex resume ].
                gofer load ].
        "load 'default' group of Metacello"
        (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfMetacello) perform: #load

Does this load the wrong version of Metacello … because I still see a lot of packages that have a more recent version …

Should I load bleeding edge here?

Diego

On Jan 4, 2014, at 12:33 PM, Johan Brichau wrote:

> Diego,
>
> You need to load latest Metacello first.
>
> Johan
>
> On 03 Jan 2014, at 11:55, Diego Lont <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am trying to load version 3.0.9 into gemstone, but this fails due to the following error:
>>
>> MetacelloVersionConstructor does not understand baseline: with:.
>>
>> When I look in my moose image, I can reproduce this error when I try to determine with GTMetaceller what packages to load for Seaside3 for the platform gs.3.x. I do not have any implementers of this message, but I see that the Zinc configuration also uses this construction. Does anyone have a clue why this is added, and why the metaceller gemstone does not understand this?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Diego_______________________________________________
>> seaside mailing list
>> [hidden email]

Re: [ANN] Seaside 3.1 and 3.0.10 release

Johan Brichau-2
Diego,

Starting from a ‘virgin’ GLASS 1.0-beta-9, when I execute the following snippet. Everything loads fine.

Gofer new
        url: 'http://www.smalltalkhub.com/mc/Seaside/MetacelloConfigurations/main';
        package: 'ConfigurationOfSeaside3';
        load.
((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfSeaside3) project version: '3.0.9') load

So, are you on glass 1.0-beta-9 ? Because the version of Metacello that is loaded with that Glass version is working.

Johan

On 17 Jan 2014, at 09:23, Diego Lont <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Johan,
>
> I got side tracked with a few other bugs, but now I really want to fix this problem. I made sure my configuration loads the latest version of Metacello … and still no improvement.
>
> But when I look closer, maybe I do not load the latestVersion … or better said: is the latestVersion not the correct version? I used the template, that is included in all configuration to load Metacello:
>
> "Bootstrap Gofer (if necessary), bootstrap ConfigurationOfMetacello (using old Gofer API), then load the latest
> version of Metacello itself."
> Smalltalk at: #Gofer ifAbsent: [
> "Current version of Gofer from which to bootstrap - as of 1.0-beta.15"
> self bootstrapPackage: 'Gofer-lr.83' from: 'http://seaside.gemstone.com/ss/metacello' ].
> Smalltalk at: #Gofer ifPresent: [:goferClass | | gofer |
> gofer := goferClass new
> url: 'http://seaside.gemstone.com/ss/metacello';
> yourself.
> [ gofer addPackage: 'ConfigurationOfMetacello' ] on: Warning do: [:ex | ex resume ].
> gofer load ].
> "load 'default' group of Metacello"
> (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfMetacello) perform: #load
>
> Does this load the wrong version of Metacello … because I still see a lot of packages that have a more recent version …
>
> Should I load bleeding edge here?
>
> Diego
>
> On Jan 4, 2014, at 12:33 PM, Johan Brichau wrote:
>
>> Diego,
>>
>> You need to load latest Metacello first.
>>
>> Johan
>>
>> On 03 Jan 2014, at 11:55, Diego Lont <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I am trying to load version 3.0.9 into gemstone, but this fails due to the following error:
>>>
>>> MetacelloVersionConstructor does not understand baseline: with:.
>>>
>>> When I look in my moose image, I can reproduce this error when I try to determine with GTMetaceller what packages to load for Seaside3 for the platform gs.3.x. I do not have any implementers of this message, but I see that the Zinc configuration also uses this construction. Does anyone have a clue why this is added, and why the metaceller gemstone does not understand this?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Diego_______________________________________________
>>> seaside mailing list
>>> [hidden email]

Re: [ANN] Seaside 3.1 and 3.0.10 release

DiegoLont
Johan,

I am working on GLASS 1.0-beta-9. I do not know how "virgin" this is, I use a build script from Norbert. But reading further: this build script also loads the latest version of Metacello afterwards … and it looks like this version isn't a proper one, as removing this line results in a successful load of Seaside 3.0.9. So it looks like I found the problem. Thank you.

Dale,

Maybe you can make the latestVersion of Metacello the version of '1.0-beta.32'? Or is there a special reason that "ConfigurationOfMetacello project latestVersion" refers to an older version of Metacello? Because a most configurations bootstrap Metacello using the latest version of Metacello. And since this isn't a version that is able to load seaside, this results in a failure of all Seaside projects, if they have Metacello not preloaded.

Diego

On Jan 18, 2014, at 8:32 AM, Johan Brichau wrote:

> Diego,
>
> Starting from a ‘virgin’ GLASS 1.0-beta-9, when I execute the following snippet. Everything loads fine.
>
> Gofer new
> url: 'http://www.smalltalkhub.com/mc/Seaside/MetacelloConfigurations/main';
> package: 'ConfigurationOfSeaside3';
> load.
> ((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfSeaside3) project version: '3.0.9') load
>
> So, are you on glass 1.0-beta-9 ? Because the version of Metacello that is loaded with that Glass version is working.
>
> Johan
>
> On 17 Jan 2014, at 09:23, Diego Lont <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Johan,
>>
>> I got side tracked with a few other bugs, but now I really want to fix this problem. I made sure my configuration loads the latest version of Metacello … and still no improvement.
>>
>> But when I look closer, maybe I do not load the latestVersion … or better said: is the latestVersion not the correct version? I used the template, that is included in all configuration to load Metacello:
>>
>> "Bootstrap Gofer (if necessary), bootstrap ConfigurationOfMetacello (using old Gofer API), then load the latest
>> version of Metacello itself."
>> Smalltalk at: #Gofer ifAbsent: [
>> "Current version of Gofer from which to bootstrap - as of 1.0-beta.15"
>> self bootstrapPackage: 'Gofer-lr.83' from: 'http://seaside.gemstone.com/ss/metacello' ].
>> Smalltalk at: #Gofer ifPresent: [:goferClass | | gofer |
>> gofer := goferClass new
>> url: 'http://seaside.gemstone.com/ss/metacello';
>> yourself.
>> [ gofer addPackage: 'ConfigurationOfMetacello' ] on: Warning do: [:ex | ex resume ].
>> gofer load ].
>> "load 'default' group of Metacello"
>> (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfMetacello) perform: #load
>>
>> Does this load the wrong version of Metacello … because I still see a lot of packages that have a more recent version …
>>
>> Should I load bleeding edge here?
>>
>> Diego
>>
>> On Jan 4, 2014, at 12:33 PM, Johan Brichau wrote:
>>
>>> Diego,
>>>
>>> You need to load latest Metacello first.
>>>
>>> Johan

Re: [ANN] Seaside 3.1 and 3.0.10 release

Bob Arning-2
I tried that and got

Error: Name not found: Kom
20 January 2014 1:29:53.541 pm

VM: Mac OS - Smalltalk
Image: Squeak4.4 [latest update: #12327]

SecurityManager state:
Restricted: false
FileAccess: true
SocketAccess: true
Working Dir /Users/bob/squeak/SECOG
Trusted Dir /foobar/tooBar/forSqueak/bogus/
Untrusted Dir /Users/bob/Library/Preferences/Squeak/Internet/Untrusted

MetacelloMCVersionSpec(Object)>>error:
    Receiver: spec blessing: #'development'.
spec author: 'JohanBrichau'.
spec timestamp: '12/31/2013 08...etc...
    Arguments and temporary variables:
        aString:     'Name not found: Kom'
    Receiver's instance variables:
        project:     ConfigurationOfSeaside3(3.0.0-alpha5-baseline [ConfigurationOfSeaside3...etc...
        loader:     a MetacelloFetchingMCSpecLoader(linear load : )
        versionString:     '3.1.0'
        blessing:     spec value: #development
        author:     spec value: 'JohanBrichau'
        timestamp:     spec value: '12/31/2013 08:50'
        preLoadDoIt:     nil
        postLoadDoIt:     nil
        packages:     spec    add: [
        spec
            name: 'SPort2';
            projectReference: [
                spe...etc...
        repositories:     spec
repository: 'http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/Seaside/Seaside31/ma...etc...

[] in MetacelloMCVersionSpec>>resolveToLoadableSpec:forMap:packages:
    Receiver: spec blessing: #'development'.
spec author: 'JohanBrichau'.
spec timestamp: '12/31/2013 08...etc...
    Arguments and temporary variables:
<<error during printing>
    Receiver's instance variables:
        project:     ConfigurationOfSeaside3(3.0.0-alpha5-baseline [ConfigurationOfSeaside3...etc...
        loader:     a MetacelloFetchingMCSpecLoader(linear load : )
        versionString:     '3.1.0'
        blessing:     spec value: #development
        author:     spec value: 'JohanBrichau'
        timestamp:     spec value: '12/31/2013 08:50'
        preLoadDoIt:     nil
        postLoadDoIt:     nil
        packages:     spec    add: [
        spec