[ANN] Seaside One-Click Experience

Philippe Marschall
Hi

There has been a lot of talk recently about improving the Smalltalk,
Squeak and Seaside experience for new users. Especially to make it
easier and faster to get started. The two vendors that support Seaside
are working in this area. That does not mean Squeak can not lead the
way. Today we present you the Seaside One-Click Experience [1]  for OS
X, Windows and Linux based on the work done by the Sophie Project [2].
Just download the zip-archive, extract it and double click on the
executable for your platform and you have Seaside 2.8 final running.

Cheers
The Squeak Seaside Team

[1] http://www.seaside.st/download/squeak#167943699
[2] http://www.sophieproject.org/

Re: [ANN] Seaside One-Click Experience

NorbertHartl
Very nice. Easiest installation of an application server I ever did :)
I just don't understand what it has to do with Sophie.

Norbert

On Sat, 2007-11-10 at 13:04 +0100, Philippe Marschall wrote:

> Hi
>
> There has been a lot of talk recently about improving the Smalltalk,
> Squeak and Seaside experience for new users. Especially to make it
> easier and faster to get started. The two vendors that support Seaside
> are working in this area. That does not mean Squeak can not lead the
> way. Today we present you the Seaside One-Click Experience [1]  for OS
> X, Windows and Linux based on the work done by the Sophie Project [2].
> Just download the zip-archive, extract it and double click on the
> executable for your platform and you have Seaside 2.8 final running.
>
> Cheers
> The Squeak Seaside Team
>
> [1] http://www.seaside.st/download/squeak#167943699
> [2] http://www.sophieproject.org/

Re: [ANN] Seaside One-Click Experience

Lukas Renggli
> Very nice. Easiest installation of an application server I ever did :)
> I just don't understand what it has to do with Sophie.

It is packaged the same way as Sophie is. The image, the icons and
some other settings are different though. We mention this to give the
original authors credit.

Cheers,
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: [ANN] Seaside One-Click Experience

Martial Boniou
Great job! Some of my PHP friends are a bit lost when they try
Squeak/Seaside by themselves. Now they got no reason to start learning
seaside. Except the lack of database, this bundle is even easier to use
than preinstalled php/mysql/apache/joomla-or-else system.

Will there be a native 64-bit linux version?

--
Martial

Philippe Marschall a écrit :
| Hi
|
| There has been a lot of talk recently about improving the Smalltalk,
| Squeak and Seaside experience for new users. Especially to make it
| easier and faster to get started. The two vendors that support Seaside
| are working in this area. That does not mean Squeak can not lead the
| way. Today we present you the Seaside One-Click Experience [1]  for OS
| X, Windows and Linux based on the work done by the Sophie Project [2].
| Just download the zip-archive, extract it and double click on the
| executable for your platform and you have Seaside 2.8 final running.
|
| Cheers
| The Squeak Seaside Team
|
| [1] http://www.seaside.st/download/squeak#167943699
| [2] http://www.sophieproject.org/

Re: [ANN] Seaside One-Click Experience

Serge Stinckwich-4
Philippe Marschall a écrit :

> Hi
>
> There has been a lot of talk recently about improving the Smalltalk,
> Squeak and Seaside experience for new users. Especially to make it
> easier and faster to get started. The two vendors that support Seaside
> are working in this area. That does not mean Squeak can not lead the
> way. Today we present you the Seaside One-Click Experience [1]  for OS
> X, Windows and Linux based on the work done by the Sophie Project [2].
> Just download the zip-archive, extract it and double click on the
> executable for your platform and you have Seaside 2.8 final running.

Cool !
What you think about the idea to package Squeak the same way ?

-- Serge Stinckwich
http://doesnotunderstand.free.fr/

2007/11/10, Martial Boniou <[hidden email]>:
> Great job! Some of my PHP friends are a bit lost when they try
> Squeak/Seaside by themselves. Now they got no reason to start learning
> seaside. Except the lack of database, this bundle is even easier to use
> than preinstalled php/mysql/apache/joomla-or-else system.
>
> Will there be a native 64-bit linux version?

I'm not sure 64-bit Linux users are the ones looking for a one-click
experience ;)

Now seriously it will run under 64-bit Linux (or Windows) in emulation
mode. If there is a strong enough demand from users we could include a
64-bit Linux VM.

Cheers
Philippe

> --
> Martial
>
> Philippe Marschall a écrit :
> | Hi
> |
> | There has been a lot of talk recently about improving the Smalltalk,
> | Squeak and Seaside experience for new users. Especially to make it
> | easier and faster to get started. The two vendors that support Seaside
> | are working in this area. That does not mean Squeak can not lead the
> | way. Today we present you the Seaside One-Click Experience [1]  for OS
> | X, Windows and Linux based on the work done by the Sophie Project [2].
> | Just download the zip-archive, extract it and double click on the
> | executable for your platform and you have Seaside 2.8 final running.
> |
> | Cheers
> | The Squeak Seaside Team
> |
> | [1] http://www.seaside.st/download/squeak#167943699
> | [2] http://www.sophieproject.org/

Re: [ANN] Seaside One-Click Experience

stephane ducasse
excellent initiative.

Stef

On 10 nov. 07, at 13:04, Philippe Marschall wrote:

> Hi
>
> There has been a lot of talk recently about improving the Smalltalk,
> Squeak and Seaside experience for new users. Especially to make it
> easier and faster to get started. The two vendors that support Seaside
> are working in this area. That does not mean Squeak can not lead the
> way. Today we present you the Seaside One-Click Experience [1]  for OS
> X, Windows and Linux based on the work done by the Sophie Project [2].
> Just download the zip-archive, extract it and double click on the
> executable for your platform and you have Seaside 2.8 final running.
>
> Cheers
> The Squeak Seaside Team
>
> [1] http://www.seaside.st/download/squeak#167943699
> [2] http://www.sophieproject.org/

Re: [ANN] Seaside One-Click Experience

Bert Freudenberg
On Nov 10, 2007, at 13:04 , Philippe Marschall wrote:

> Hi
>
> There has been a lot of talk recently about improving the Smalltalk,
> Squeak and Seaside experience for new users. Especially to make it
> easier and faster to get started. The two vendors that support Seaside
> are working in this area. That does not mean Squeak can not lead the
> way. Today we present you the Seaside One-Click Experience [1]  for OS
> X, Windows and Linux based on the work done by the Sophie Project [2].
> Just download the zip-archive, extract it and double click on the
> executable for your platform and you have Seaside 2.8 final running.
>
> Cheers
> The Squeak Seaside Team
>
> [1] http://www.seaside.st/download/squeak#167943699
> [2] http://www.sophieproject.org/

It should be noted that the work done by the Sophie Project is based
on the original work of impara [3] for Plopp [4]. I know, because I
developed that packaging structure while working at impara (though it
did not occur to us to call it “one-click”). Anyway, great to see it
put to good use in other projects!

- Bert -

[3] http://impara.de/

[4] http://planet-plopp.com/ (down temporarily, German site at http://
planet-plopp.de/)_______________________________________________
seaside mailing list

Philippe Marschall a écrit :
| 2007/11/10, Martial Boniou <[hidden email]>:
| > Great job! Some of my PHP friends are a bit lost when they try
| > Squeak/Seaside by themselves. Now they got no reason to start learning
| > seaside. Except the lack of database, this bundle is even easier to use
| > than preinstalled php/mysql/apache/joomla-or-else system.
| >
| > Will there be a native 64-bit linux version?
|
| I'm not sure 64-bit Linux users are the ones looking for a one-click
| experience ;)
I agree. Generally not.

| Now seriously it will run under 64-bit Linux (or Windows) in emulation
| mode. If there is a strong enough demand from users we could include a
| 64-bit Linux VM.
But I know lazy people on Linux 64bit who develop with C++/PHP and we
want to give Seaside a try if it's plug 'n play but I cannot build/test
a 64 bit vm because I haven't got any 64 bit machine.
However, if nobody asks for a 64bit version, just forget this idea.

| Cheers
| Philippe

Regards,

--
Martial

| > --
| > Martial
| >
| > Philippe Marschall a écrit :
| > | Hi
| > |
| > | There has been a lot of talk recently about improving the Smalltalk,
| > | Squeak and Seaside experience for new users. Especially to make it
| > | easier and faster to get started. The two vendors that support Seaside
| > | are working in this area. That does not mean Squeak can not lead the
| > | way. Today we present you the Seaside One-Click Experience [1]  for OS
| > | X, Windows and Linux based on the work done by the Sophie Project [2].
| > | Just download the zip-archive, extract it and double click on the
| > | executable for your platform and you have Seaside 2.8 final running.
| > |
| > | Cheers
| > | The Squeak Seaside Team
| > |
| > | [1] http://www.seaside.st/download/squeak#167943699
| > | [2] http://www.sophieproject.org/

Re: [ANN] Seaside One-Click Experience

Edward Stow

Thanks for the one  click experience -- but are the mouse buttons
configured to meet new users expectations.  I presume that most new
users will be working on MS Windows OS.

In my experience the right mouse button normally opens a context menu.
Displaying the halos may only confuse a new user.  And they may not
even think to use the middle button, or know how to find the
preferences browser.

Just my 2c worth but thanks again for putting this together.  As an
occasional dabbler in squeak it is difficult to keep track of the
required versions of squeak and the packages to reliably install
Seaside.
--
Edward

On 10/11/2007, Philippe Marschall <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> There has been a lot of talk recently about improving the Smalltalk,
> Squeak and Seaside experience for new users. Especially to make it
> easier and faster to get started. The two vendors that support Seaside
> are working in this area. That does not mean Squeak can not lead the
> way. Today we present you the Seaside One-Click Experience [1]  for OS
> X, Windows and Linux based on the work done by the Sophie Project [2].
> Just download the zip-archive, extract it and double click on the
> executable for your platform and you have Seaside 2.8 final running.
>
> Cheers
> The Squeak Seaside Team
>
> [1] http://www.seaside.st/download/squeak#167943699
> [2] http://www.sophieproject.org/

Edward Stow

Re: [ANN] Seaside One-Click Experience

Carlos Lenz-2
Hi

I agree that One-Click is the way to go to attract new users, congratulations.

One bug report, though. SqueakMap is not working.

Also a suggestion: the "Release date" or version could be reported
(2.8-final does not help much). Since some minor tweaks are required
now and then (maybe updates too), it is better to let the user know
when a new version is available.

Cheers

Carlos

On Nov 15, 2007 6:23 PM, Edward Stow <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the one  click experience -- but are the mouse buttons
> configured to meet new users expectations.  I presume that most new
> users will be working on MS Windows OS.
>
> In my experience the right mouse button normally opens a context menu.
> Displaying the halos may only confuse a new user.  And they may not
> even think to use the middle button, or know how to find the
> preferences browser.
>
> Just my 2c worth but thanks again for putting this together.  As an
> occasional dabbler in squeak it is difficult to keep track of the
> required versions of squeak and the packages to reliably install
> Seaside.
> --
> Edward
>
> On 10/11/2007, Philippe Marschall <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > There has been a lot of talk recently about improving the Smalltalk,
> > Squeak and Seaside experience for new users. Especially to make it
> > easier and faster to get started. The two vendors that support Seaside
> > are working in this area. That does not mean Squeak can not lead the
> > way. Today we present you the Seaside One-Click Experience [1]  for OS
> > X, Windows and Linux based on the work done by the Sophie Project [2].
> > Just download the zip-archive, extract it and double click on the
> > executable for your platform and you have Seaside 2.8 final running.
> >
> > Cheers
> > The Squeak Seaside Team
> >
> > [1] http://www.seaside.st/download/squeak#167943699
> > [2] http://www.sophieproject.org/

> Edward Stow

[ANN] Seaside One-Click Experience

rhawley
I've just tried the one-click - the examplebrowser doesn't work.

(using mac leopard safari if that's relevant)

Re: [ANN] Seaside One-Click Experience

Martial Boniou
The examplebrowser doesn't work at all. Awaiting a bug correction, you
can reach the browser (even on safari leopard) by 'Toggle Halos' in the
bottom menu (which can be disactivated if you configure your application
saying 'Deployment mode' is true). Then click on the first icon and
you'll get the browser.

--
Martial

Robert Hawley a écrit :
| I've just tried the one-click - the examplebrowser doesn't work.
|
| (using mac leopard safari if that's relevant)

Re: [ANN] Seaside One-Click Experience

Lukas Renggli
> The examplebrowser doesn't work at all. Awaiting a bug correction, you
> can reach the browser (even on safari leopard) by 'Toggle Halos' in the
> bottom menu (which can be disactivated if you configure your application
> saying 'Deployment mode' is true). Then click on the first icon and
> you'll get the browser.

Load Magritte-Seaside-lr.250 and the example browser will work.

Cheers,
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: [ANN] Seaside One-Click Experience

Martial Boniou
Hi Lukas,

That's what I was thinking about. It works.

Martial

Lukas Renggli a écrit :
| > The examplebrowser doesn't work at all. Awaiting a bug correction, you
| > can reach the browser (even on safari leopard) by 'Toggle Halos' in the
| > bottom menu (which can be disactivated if you configure your application
| > saying 'Deployment mode' is true). Then click on the first icon and
| > you'll get the browser.
|
| Load Magritte-Seaside-lr.250 and the example browser will work.
|
| Cheers,
| Lukas
|
| --
| Lukas Renggli
| http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

[ANN] Seaside One-Click Experience

rhawley
I was talking about the version made available to the public through the
seaside website - that example does not work.

In another posting, I also drew attention to the external view of Seaside
with regard to the references to the sushi example on the web.

These look remarkably inconsistent to an outsider coming fresh to the topic
and looking up information about Seaside.

[ANN] Seaside One-Click Experience

rhawley
Lukas

I'm not sure if it was clear. It was the one-click software straight off the
seaside site - and it didn't work.

Yours

Bob

> The examplebrowser doesn't work at all. Awaiting a bug correction, you
> can reach the browser (even on safari leopard) by 'Toggle Halos' in the
> bottom menu (which can be disactivated if you configure your application
> saying 'Deployment mode' is true). Then click on the first icon and
> you'll get the browser.

Load Magritte-Seaside-lr.250 and the example browser will work.

Cheers,
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: [ANN] Seaside One-Click Experience

Lukas Renggli
> I'm not sure if it was clear. It was the one-click software straight off the
> seaside site - and it didn't work.

Yes, you were clear. I fixed it, but I didn't had time to upload an
updated version yet. Preparing a new distribution always requires some
work, I will see if I find some today.

Cheers,
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: [ANN] Seaside One-Click Experience

Lukas Renggli
> That's what I was thinking about. It works.

I uploaded a version that fixes the reported bugs. It also contains
the sushi store for all the sushi lovers.

Cheers,
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: [ANN] Seaside One-Click Experience

stephane ducasse
Thanks lukas.
I think that you are really doing a great work.
I like to see it again and again. Because I know what it is to do
something like a release
and sometimes we only get the people complaining ... and after a
while it slowly kills your energy.
So thanks.

Stef