[ANN] Seaside+Pier+Magma image available

[ANN] Seaside+Pier+Magma image available

keith1y
First (alpha!) release of Pier running with Magma Persistency.

Image available from ftp.seasidehosting.st
User: preloaded Password: squeak

enjoy

Keith
------
Image Use Instructions
In pier configuration click on 'Magma Control Panel', which will inform
you that the repository does not exist. If you have placed this image on
seasidehosting then you will have to manually create the repository
directory. Given the list of options as to what repository to create,
click the 'create' button (and wait).  The existing pier kernel should
appear in the list with a 'persist' button next to it, click 'persist'.
Then try it and see!
------
------
Detailed Log of Image Creation Steps (alternative title: "monticello
tutorial")

This image was prepared as follows:
Beginning with Squeak3.8-6555full

Initial start asks for updates: select "do not ask again" - this is
important should you wish to deploy. Headless servers (e.g.
seasidehosting) cannot handle user interaction and will stop at this point.

 From "world menu > open.... > Monticello Browser"
Browser opens with (Monticello....)

Click the "+Repository Button", select "HTTP" as the repository type,
and enter

MCHttpRepository
    location: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/Seaside'
    user: ''
    password: ''

as the repository info (if you have a login on Squeaksource then you can
enter your initials
as the 'user' above.)

Add the following repository for Monticello.

MCHttpRepository
    location: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/Monticello'
    user: ''
    password: ''

Add the following repository for Magma.

MCHttpRepository
    location: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/MagmaTester'
    user: ''
    password: ''

and the following two repositories for Magritte and Pier

 MCHttpRepository
    location: 'http://mc.lukas-renggli.ch/magritte'
    user: ''
    password: ''

 MCHttpRepository
    location: 'http://mc.lukas-renggli.ch/pier'
    user: ''
    password: ''

also:

MCHttpRepository
    location: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/OmniBrowser'
    user: ''
    password: ''

(to edit this information:
click the menu button in the right hand pane of the Monticello Browser)
----

More recent versions of Monticello provide better feedback as to which
packages are currently loaded.

Select the http://www.squeaksource.com/Monticello repository, click
"open", select the latest package (Monticello-avi.279) from the main
"Monticello" branch, and click "load".

Select the Monticello package on the left hand pane, and the
squeaksource/Monticello repository in the right hand pane. Click 'open'.
In the repository browser, click on the latest version
(Monticello-avi.279.mcz) and click 'Load'.
----

Select "world menu > open... SqueakMap"... and a dialog will ask if you
wish to upgrade SqueakMap. Which you do. Notice that SMBase, SMLoader
packages appeaer in the Monticello browser, since the upgrade is
performed by loading Monticello packages.

In SqueakMap, select the ever so convenient "Seaside Installer" which
should load in the whole of seaside with its dependencies in one go. To
do this select the left had pane menu button, "install". (Part way
through the install you will be prompted to enter an admin username
(seaside) and password (admin))

(if SqueakMap doesnt work it is being knobbled by a more recent
package-cache, remove it and try again)

Select the seaside repositoryClick the "open" and the repository browser
will open.

Select Seaside2.6b1 which is the current latest. In the right hand pane
are the releases. Releases may be made by anyone and they may be small
branches off from the main stream. Periodically an effort will be made
to ensure that all changes are merged. Click the history button in order
to browse the history of this package to get some idea of what is going
on. Look at the ancestors of a package to see if one version is being
sequentially built on the next, or whether any branching is occurring.
Seaside is fairly mature and changes infrequent, therefore it is likely
to be safe to grab the latest version.

Loaded Seaside2.6b1-mb.79
Loaded Scriptaculous-lr.137

To start Seaside doit:
WAKom startOn: 8080.
( Or use the "beach flags" SeasideMorph
available from: http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/5862 )

To test if everything is running, check the following url in your normal
web browser.
http://localhost:8080/seaside/config

you should be prompted for you username and password (as given earlier).
----

Back to the Monticello Browser. Deselect the selected package by
clicking on it once. This should re-reveal all of the registered
repositories.

(It is worth saving this. In the right hand side pane menu button there
is a menu item: "Save Repositories", which writes a simple configuration
script to the working directory.)

Select the http://www.squeaksource.com/MagmaTester repository, and click
"open".

Select MagmaServerLoader, and click "load". (it takes a while!)

loaded MagmaServerLoader-cmm.21
loaded Ma client server-cmm.123
loaded Ma exception handling-cmm.22
loaded Ma time objects-cmm.37
----
Load Magma Seaside Integration Package

Select "Magma Seaside" (lhs) and the latest package and click "load",

loaded Magma Seaside-kph.18
----
Load Magma Seaside Sushi Store Demo fixes

loaded Seaside-Examples-Store-Magma.kph-11
----

Before using Magma may need to execute the following.

MagmaSession initialize.
MagmaRepositoryController initialize.

useful snippets
MagmaSession allInstances cleanUp.
MagmaSession disconnectAndCloseAllConnectedSessions.

----
Load Magritte
loaded Magritte-All-lr.171
Load Pier
loaded Pier-All-lr.109
Load OmniBrowser
loaded OmniBrowser-avi.258
loaded Pier-OmniBrowser-lr.19
----
Latest Pier-Magma code

loaded Pier-Model-kph.80
loaded Pier-Seaside-kph.80
loaded Pier-Magma-kph.1
----
Pre-upload actions:

Monticello Browser - "flush cached versions".
----
Release Preloaded Image as Sqk3.8f-smp.image

Re: [ANN] Seaside+Pier+Magma image available

stéphane ducasse-2
Cool
I think that this is really important for pier to get multiple back
end systems so that we can
choose and make sure that we can never lost the data.

Stef

On 9 sept. 06, at 06:09, Keith Hodges wrote:

> [...]
>
> useful snippets
> MagmaSession allInstances cleanUp.
> MagmaSession disconnectAndCloseAllConnectedSessions.
>
> ----
> Load Magritte
> loaded Magritte-All-lr.171
> Load Pier
> loaded Pier-All-lr.109
> Load OmniBrowser
> loaded OmniBrowser-avi.258
> loaded Pier-OmniBrowser-lr.19
> ----
> Latest Pier-Magma code
>
> loaded Pier-Model-kph.80
> loaded Pier-Seaside-kph.80
> loaded Pier-Magma-kph.1
> ----
> Pre-upload actions:
>
> Monticello Browser - "flush cached versions".
> ----
> Release Preloaded Image as Sqk3.8f-smp.image

Re: [ANN] Seaside+Pier+Magma image available

John Borden
Keith,
Is there a more up-to-date image available?  I tried loading
PierMagma from mc.lukas-renggli.ch/pier, but it requires
MagmaDictionaryRoot.

Thanks,
John

John Borden wrote:
> Keith,
> Is there a more up-to-date image available?  I tried loading
> PierMagma from mc.lukas-renggli.ch/pier, but it requires
> MagmaDictionaryRoot.
>
> Thanks,
> John

Hi, you need to load from Sake/Packages or Universes so that
dependencies get satisfied.
In an LPF image...

Installer install: 'Packages'.

Installer sake install: 'PierMagma'.