[ANN] SeasideTesting recovered from oblivion

[ANN] SeasideTesting recovered from oblivion

EstebanLM
Hi,

I spend some days last week woking with the guys of AFI (http://afi-sa.fr, yes they also use Pharo in some of their projects) and together we recovered SeasideTesting from Davis Shaffer to be used for their TDD experience.

you can check it out here: https://github.com/Afibre/SeasideTesting

What’s SeasideTesting? A package to test Seaside components.
Why we do not use Parasol? Because it is based on selenium and that makes the process slow.
Where can I know more?
but all that is old. Best way is to just install and see the tests, as always,

cheers!
Esteban

Re: [ANN] SeasideTesting recovered from oblivion

Jon Paynter-2
Great to hear!

I use this on some older projects, and found the documentation helpful, but also sketchy.  Hopefully you can update things.

Will your resurected version work with Visualworks?

On Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 3:04 AM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I spend some days last week woking with the guys of AFI (http://afi-sa.fr, yes they also use Pharo in some of their projects) and together we recovered SeasideTesting from Davis Shaffer to be used for their TDD experience.

you can check it out here: https://github.com/Afibre/SeasideTesting

What’s SeasideTesting? A package to test Seaside components.
Why we do not use Parasol? Because it is based on selenium and that makes the process slow.
Where can I know more?
but all that is old. Best way is to just install and see the tests, as always,

cheers!
Esteban

Re: [ANN] SeasideTesting recovered from oblivion

Johan Brichau-2
I don’t know... we maintained SeasideTesting at http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~Seaside/SeasideTesting/ until we developed Parasol because it just covers some bare-bones html page testing. Forget about JavaScript and css influence on your tests in seaside testing.

I think we prefer a slower but accurate testing proces, using Parasol.

Johan

On 23 Oct 2017, at 22:22, Jon Paynter <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

NorbertHartl
Cool. Need to think where it is useful. On the one hand testing without external components is good. On the other hand you can only test very simple stuff with it. But there might be a place.
Btw. you don‘t need selenium with parasol. You can use chrome-standalone which implements the same protocol.

Norbert

Am 23.10.2017 um 12:04 schrieb Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]>:

Hi,

I spend some days last week woking with the guys of AFI (http://afi-sa.fr, yes they also use Pharo in some of their projects) and together we recovered SeasideTesting from Davis Shaffer to be used for their TDD experience.

you can check it out here: https://github.com/Afibre/SeasideTesting

What’s SeasideTesting? A package to test Seaside components.
Why we do not use Parasol? Because it is based on selenium and that makes the process slow.
Where can I know more?
but all that is old. Best way is to just install and see the tests, as always,

cheers!
Esteban

Re: [ANN] SeasideTesting recovered from oblivion

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
NorbertHartl wrote
> Cool. Need to think where it is useful. On the one hand testing without
> external components is good. On the other hand you can only test very
> simple stuff with it.

In the Ruby RSpec/Cucumber world, testing is though of as two concentric
circles. First are the unit tests which are blazing fast because you
mock/stub out everything, then your acceptance tests which test the
application as a whole. So you only run the real (slow) tests after the fast
tests have all passed. Even in the Cucumber acceptance test cycle, there are
three options:
1. Direct Model Access - similar to unit tests and is useful for setup code
or for code that is cumbersome to simulate
2. Simulated browser - uses a framework to simulate the actual
get/put/post(s). When I was programming in Ruby, one big limitation was that
you could not test JS this way.
3. Automated browser - e.g. Selenium

It was a bit of an art form to figure out which technique to apply in each
situation, balancing ease with testing value.

For anyone interested in TDD, I would highly recommend investigating the
rspec/Cucumber process which IMHO took Smalltalk's original invention and
strapped rocket boosters to it! The RSpec and Cucumber books are great
places to start. Also, check out Dan North's BDD (Behavioral…) philosophy on
which the frameworks are based. One of my dream projects is to take what
they did, and turn it from dead text files into a real model in a live
Smalltalk image. That would be truly special, but in my experience hits a
double blue plane wall - Smalltalkers think "We can't learn anything from
Ruby. We invented TDD! BDD is just a trendy acronym for what we've been
doing for decades" (spoiler alert - it's not) and Rubyers have the
all-to-familiar "OMG, an image?! Where are my beloved files?! I can't use
emacs?!?! Nooo!!!"*

* yes, it seems someone made it so that you can use emacs with Pharo, but
you get the idea

-----
Cheers,
Sean