[ANN] SeasideXUL

Pavel Krivanek-2
Hi all,

I started the project named SeasideXUL. This package enables to
generate XUL (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XUL) code in Seaside 2.9 so
now we can create applications with standard look&feel directly in
Smalltalk with the power of Seaside.

Pictures are worth more than thousand words:
http://comtalk.eu/public/pub/SeasideXUL/screenshots/

XUL can be displayed directly in FireFox or there's a project named
XULRunner that enables to run it as a standalone application (see
screenshots, the application then can use own shortcuts etc.) but
still in thin-client/server architecture. Standard HTML or SVG code
can be embedded in XUL page.

I had to created ajax-based call/answer mechanism with continuations
for SeasideXUL. The complete port of XUL Periodic Table
(http://www.hevanet.com/acorbin/xul/top.xul) is included as the
demonstration application. However lot of next things wait for
implementation (e.g. some alternative to forms) or need to be made
more robust and easily usable (whole ajax part).

Seaside 2.9 is quite hard to load and SeasideXUL doesn't reflect some
latest changes in this package (Seaside 2.9 is still under heavy
development) so if you want to try SeasideXUL on your own in this
stage of development, do not await a nice walk through a rosarium. It
was developed on this set of packages:

Scriptaculous-Components (Scriptaculous-Components-lr.41)
Scriptaculous-Core (Scriptaculous-Core-lr.18)
Scriptaculous-Squeak-Core (Scriptaculous-Squeak-Core-lr.1)
Scriptaculous-Tests (Scriptaculous-Tests-lr.21)
Seaside-Adapters-Core (Seaside-Adapters-Core-pmm.3)
Seaside-Core (Seaside-Core-lr.120)
Seaside-Development-Core (Seaside-Development-Core-lr.20)
Seaside-Examples (Seaside-Examples-pmm.1)
Seaside-Squeak-Adapters (Seaside-Squeak-Adapters-mu.7)
Seaside-Squeak-Core (Seaside-Squeak-Core-dkh.38)
Seaside-Squeak-Development (Seaside-Squeak-Development-pmm.10)
Seaside-Squeak-Kom (Seaside-Squeak-Kom-pmm.13)
Seaside-Tests (Seaside-Tests-dkh.102)
Seaside-Utils-Core (Seaside-Utils-Core-lr.7)

Scriptaculous dependency should be removed in next versions.

Mozilla seems to be pretty strong platform provider and future
versions of FireFox should be based directly on the XULRunner. I hope
that we did the important step to gain multi-platform and
multi-implementation user interface framework for Smalltalk.

Cheers,
-- Pavel

Re: [ANN] SeasideXUL

Pavel Krivanek-2
The main project page/code repository is
http://www.squeaksource.com/SeasideXUL.html

-- Pavel

Re: [ANN] SeasideXUL

Milan Zimmermann-2

I have just a few weeks ago started to consider XULRunner for my next
application, so this is really exciting. I was wondering if it would be
possible to make your image available to play with the XUL user interface
demo port...

Thanks Milan

On 2008 April 13, Pavel Krivanek wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I started the project named SeasideXUL. This package enables to
> generate XUL (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XUL) code in Seaside 2.9 so
> now we can create applications with standard look&feel directly in
> Smalltalk with the power of Seaside.
>
> Pictures are worth more than thousand words:
> http://comtalk.eu/public/pub/SeasideXUL/screenshots/
>
> XUL can be displayed directly in FireFox or there's a project named
> XULRunner that enables to run it as a standalone application (see
> screenshots, the application then can use own shortcuts etc.) but
> still in thin-client/server architecture. Standard HTML or SVG code
> can be embedded in XUL page.
>
> I had to created ajax-based call/answer mechanism with continuations
> for SeasideXUL. The complete port of XUL Periodic Table
> (http://www.hevanet.com/acorbin/xul/top.xul) is included as the
> demonstration application. However lot of next things wait for
> implementation (e.g. some alternative to forms) or need to be made
> more robust and easily usable (whole ajax part).
>
> Seaside 2.9 is quite hard to load and SeasideXUL doesn't reflect some
> latest changes in this package (Seaside 2.9 is still under heavy
> development) so if you want to try SeasideXUL on your own in this
> stage of development, do not await a nice walk through a rosarium. It
> was developed on this set of packages:
>
> Scriptaculous-Components (Scriptaculous-Components-lr.41)
> Scriptaculous-Core (Scriptaculous-Core-lr.18)
> Scriptaculous-Squeak-Core (Scriptaculous-Squeak-Core-lr.1)
> Scriptaculous-Tests (Scriptaculous-Tests-lr.21)
> Seaside-Adapters-Core (Seaside-Adapters-Core-pmm.3)
> Seaside-Core (Seaside-Core-lr.120)
> Seaside-Development-Core (Seaside-Development-Core-lr.20)
> Seaside-Examples (Seaside-Examples-pmm.1)
> Seaside-Squeak-Adapters (Seaside-Squeak-Adapters-mu.7)
> Seaside-Squeak-Core (Seaside-Squeak-Core-dkh.38)
> Seaside-Squeak-Development (Seaside-Squeak-Development-pmm.10)
> Seaside-Squeak-Kom (Seaside-Squeak-Kom-pmm.13)
> Seaside-Tests (Seaside-Tests-dkh.102)
> Seaside-Utils-Core (Seaside-Utils-Core-lr.7)
>
> Scriptaculous dependency should be removed in next versions.
>
> Mozilla seems to be pretty strong platform provider and future
> versions of FireFox should be based directly on the XULRunner. I hope
> that we did the important step to gain multi-platform and
> multi-implementation user interface framework for Smalltalk.
>
> Cheers,
> -- Pavel

Re: [ANN] SeasideXUL

Pavel Krivanek-2
download here:
http://comtalk.eu/public/pub/SeasideXUL/SeasideXUL.zip

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 4:00 AM, Milan Zimmermann
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>  > Seaside-Core (Seaside-Core-lr.120)
>  > Seaside-Development-Core (Seaside-Development-Core-lr.20)
>  > Seaside-Examples (Seaside-Examples-pmm.1)
>  > Seaside-Squeak-Adapters (Seaside-Squeak-Adapters-mu.7)
>  > Seaside-Squeak-Core (Seaside-Squeak-Core-dkh.38)
>  > Seaside-Squeak-Development (Seaside-Squeak-Development-pmm.10)
>  > Seaside-Squeak-Kom (Seaside-Squeak-Kom-pmm.13)
>  > Seaside-Tests (Seaside-Tests-dkh.102)
>  > Seaside-Utils-Core (Seaside-Utils-Core-lr.7)
>  >
>  > Scriptaculous dependency should be removed in next versions.
>  >
>  > Mozilla seems to be pretty strong platform provider and future
>  > versions of FireFox should be based directly on the XULRunner. I hope
>  > that we did the important step to gain multi-platform and
>  > multi-implementation user interface framework for Smalltalk.

Re: [ANN] SeasideXUL

Holger Kleinsorgen-3
Pavel Krivanek schrieb:
> Hi all,
>
> I started the project named SeasideXUL. This package enables to
> generate XUL (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XUL) code in Seaside 2.9 so
> now we can create applications with standard look&feel directly in
> Smalltalk with the power of Seaside.

Very cool!

Would a 2.8 port be technically possible, or is Seaside 2.9 required?

Re: [ANN] SeasideXUL

Pavel Krivanek-2
On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 11:21 AM, Holger Kleinsorgen
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Pavel Krivanek schrieb:
>

> > Hi all,
> >
> > I started the project named SeasideXUL. This package enables to
> > generate XUL (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XUL) code in Seaside 2.9 so
> > now we can create applications with standard look&feel directly in
> > Smalltalk with the power of Seaside.
> >

>  Very cool!
>
>  Would a 2.8 port be technically possible, or is Seaside 2.9 required?

I tried to back-port  it (version SeasideXUL-pk.48.mcz) and SeasideXUL
seems to work - even the call/answer mechanism. I've chosen the
version 2.9 in the beginning because I didn't know how deep changes
will I have to do in Seaside and the development version seemed to be
better starting point. Fortunately it was easier than I expected and
no changes directly in the Seaside core were necessary. Funny, because
initially I expected that the most reasonable way will be the start
with a new framework ;-). Btw. this project started on the 3th of
April 2008 so it's real newborn.

So now the development will continue on Seaside 2.8.

enjoy...

-- Pavel

RE: [ANN] SeasideXUL

Sebastian Sastre-2
Hi Pavel,

        is good to have more options. Do you want to point articles to read
about the XUL trends? which big players are behind it, etc? I think todays we
are seeing a big push among vendors and the biggest player of all times the open
source community. Today is harder to ponder the most promising trends. So much
to do, so much to learn, so short time

        thanks,

Sebastian Sastre

Re: [ANN] SeasideXUL

Pavel Krivanek-2
Hi Sebastian,

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 4:30 PM, Sebastian Sastre <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Pavel,
>
>         is good to have more options. Do you want to point articles to read
>  about the XUL trends? which big players are behind it, etc?

I tried to find some some documents with XUL long-term vision but I
wasn't successful. Its development is closely bound to Firefox so it's
necessary to observe its development. See
http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Firefox_3_for_developers#For_XUL_and_extension_developers.
No other big player than Mozilla Foundation was adopting XUL as its
own although some as IBM are using it. The situation should be more
clean when XUL will be more independent.

> I think todays we
>  are seeing a big push among vendors and the biggest player of all times the open
>  source community. Today is harder to ponder the most promising trends. So much
>  to do, so much to learn, so short time

The alternative technologies for XUL today are XAML by Microsoft and
Air by Adobe. Here only the Mozilla's solution has real interest in
expanding to other platforms, is using open-source technologies and
has longest deployment history.

Cheers,
-- Pavel

>         thanks,
>
>  Sebastian Sastre

Edward Stow
On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 3:43 PM, Pavel Krivanek
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Sebastian,
>

>  On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 4:30 PM, Sebastian Sastre <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  > Hi Pavel,
>  >
>  >         is good to have more options. Do you want to point articles to read
>  >  about the XUL trends? which big players are behind it, etc?
>
>  I tried to find some some documents with XUL long-term vision but I
>  wasn't successful. Its development is closely bound to Firefox so it's
>  necessary to observe its development. See
>  http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Firefox_3_for_developers#For_XUL_and_extension_developers.
>  No other big player than Mozilla Foundation was adopting XUL as its
>  own although some as IBM are using it. The situation should be more
>  clean when XUL will be more independent.

Komodo from ActiveState (including the community edition Komodo Edit
are XUL applications.

--

Edward Stow

Re: [ANN] SeasideXUL

Milan Zimmermann-2
On 2008 April 14, Pavel Krivanek wrote:
> download here:
> http://comtalk.eu/public/pub/SeasideXUL/SeasideXUL.zip

Thanks, this is really good!

(minor notes, the right main pane is not scrollable and the Trees, simple and
nested, do not show  but i am sure you are aware of it)

Thanks Milan