[ANN] SimpleLogger released

123

Re: [squeak-dev] [ANN] SimpleLogger released

Göran Krampe
Hi all!

I wonder a few things:

- Why was SimpleLog deemed "hard"? The class comment on SLLog etc is
pretty straight forward IMHO!
- Also SimpleLog has some quite nice features:
        - A really nice Morph to keep an eye on the logging going on, and to
easily filter it etc, although it needs some love for Pharo to compile.
        - A log to file class with rotation.
        - Ability to use syslog like Ramon posted, in fact, I think SimpleLog
was first with that.

I just... wonder why we need to reinvent so many things over and over?

Toothpick IMHO was a bit complex, I agree - that was the reason for
creating SimpleLog, but hey, SimpleLog is *not* complex.

regards, Göran

Re: [squeak-dev] [ANN] SimpleLogger released

Stéphane Ducasse

On Aug 19, 2010, at 12:31 PM, Göran Krampe wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> I wonder a few things:
>
> - Why was SimpleLog deemed "hard"? The class comment on SLLog etc is pretty straight forward IMHO!
> - Also SimpleLog has some quite nice features:
> - A really nice Morph to keep an eye on the logging going on, and to easily filter it etc, although it needs some love for Pharo to compile.
> - A log to file class with rotation.
> - Ability to use syslog like Ramon posted, in fact, I think SimpleLog was first with that.
>
> I just... wonder why we need to reinvent so many things over and over?

good question.
We are trying not in general :)

> Toothpick IMHO was a bit complex, I agree - that was the reason for creating SimpleLog, but hey, SimpleLog is *not* complex.

:)

> regards, Göran

Re: [squeak-dev] [ANN] SimpleLogger released

garduino
2010/8/19 Göran Krampe <[hidden email]>:

> Hi all!
>
> I wonder a few things:
>
> - Why was SimpleLog deemed "hard"? The class comment on SLLog etc is pretty
> straight forward IMHO!
> - Also SimpleLog has some quite nice features:
>        - A really nice Morph to keep an eye on the logging going on, and to
> easily filter it etc, although it needs some love for Pharo to compile.
>        - A log to file class with rotation.
>        - Ability to use syslog like Ramon posted, in fact, I think SimpleLog
> was first with that.
>
> I just... wonder why we need to reinvent so many things over and over?

Is so bad to develop a small utility and put it open to the community?
What thing is bad with this?

> Toothpick IMHO was a bit complex, I agree - that was the reason for creating
> SimpleLog, but hey, SimpleLog is *not* complex.

This is your opinion, I respect but don't agree. Anyway I think that
this is a topic really not relevant,
I shared a small class that I developed by the reason that can be
useful to others, nothing more.

> regards, Göran

Cheers.

Re: [SPAM] Re: [squeak-dev] [ANN] SimpleLogger released

Sven Van Caekenberghe
Hi Göran,

On 19 Aug 2010, at 12:31, Göran Krampe wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> I wonder a few things:
>
> - Why was SimpleLog deemed "hard"? The class comment on SLLog etc is pretty straight forward IMHO!
> - Also SimpleLog has some quite nice features:
> - A really nice Morph to keep an eye on the logging going on, and to easily filter it etc, although it needs some love for Pharo to compile.
> - A log to file class with rotation.
> - Ability to use syslog like Ramon posted, in fact, I think SimpleLog was first with that.
>
> I just... wonder why we need to reinvent so many things over and over?
>
> Toothpick IMHO was a bit complex, I agree - that was the reason for creating SimpleLog, but hey, SimpleLog is *not* complex.
>
> regards, Göran

I just tried to load SimpleLog-kph.15 into Pharo 1.1 and it failed (syntax error):

SLLogMorph>>#testFilter: aMessage
        | lowerString |
        lowerString := aMessage value value asLowercase.
        ^(self searchString asString substrings allSatisfy: [:sub |
                sub := (sub asLowercase) replaceAll: $_ with: (Character space).
                ((sub first = $-) and: [(lowerString includesSubString: sub allButFirst) not]) or:
                [(sub first = $+) and: [lowerString includesSubString: sub allButFirst]] or:
                [lowerString includesSubString: sub]])

I think you cannot modify the sub block variable in Pharo...

Sven

Re: [SPAM] Re: [squeak-dev] [ANN] SimpleLogger released

> SLLogMorph>>#testFilter: aMessage
> | lowerString |
> lowerString := aMessage value value asLowercase.
> ^(self searchString asString substrings allSatisfy: [:sub |
> sub := (sub asLowercase) replaceAll: $_ with: (Character space).
> ((sub first = $-) and: [(lowerString includesSubString: sub allButFirst) not]) or:
> [(sub first = $+) and: [lowerString includesSubString: sub allButFirst]] or:
> [lowerString includesSubString: sub]])
>
> I think you cannot modify the sub block variable in Pharo...

in any blockclosure implementation in fact

123