[ANN] SimpleLogger released

123

[ANN] SimpleLogger released

garduino
Hi:

Frequently I need to log operations on text files for things I develop
for my customers.

I released now a tool (VERY simple) that I use to do so.

I hope may be useful to someone.

The url is http://www.squeaksource.com/SimpleLogger.html

Cheers.
Germán.

Re: [squeak-dev] [ANN] SimpleLogger released

Mariano Martinez Peck
Hi German, Thanks very much for the ANN.

Just in case, were you aware of SimpleLog, Toothpick and Logging ?

http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/3706
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5890

Which are the differences/advantages of yours ? probably that at yours work in latests squeak and pharo versions

thanks

mariano

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 12:59 AM, Germán Arduino <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi:

Frequently I need to log operations on text files for things I develop
for my customers.

I released now a tool (VERY simple) that I use to do so.

I hope may be useful to someone.

The url is http://www.squeaksource.com/SimpleLogger.html

Cheers.
Germán.

Re: [squeak-dev] [ANN] SimpleLogger released

garduino
Hi Mariano:

Yes, I know both but honestly wanted something very simple.....May be
I'm too lazy but can't afford to read a mail of this extension:
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2008-December/132923.html
:)

Toothpick look better (to my needs) but still wanted something more simple.

Germán.

2010/7/14 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:

> Hi German, Thanks very much for the ANN.
>
> Just in case, were you aware of SimpleLog, Toothpick and Logging ?
>
> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/3706
> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5890
>
> Which are the differences/advantages of yours ? probably that at yours work
> in latests squeak and pharo versions
>
> thanks
>
> mariano
>

> On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 12:59 AM, Germán Arduino <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi:
>>
>> Frequently I need to log operations on text files for things I develop
>> for my customers.
>>
>> I released now a tool (VERY simple) that I use to do so.
>>
>> I hope may be useful to someone.
>>
>> The url is http://www.squeaksource.com/SimpleLogger.html
>>
>> Cheers.
>> Germán.

Re: [squeak-dev] [ANN] SimpleLogger released

can you add a page on the book?

Stef

On Jul 14, 2010, at 1:04 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Hi German, Thanks very much for the ANN.
>
> Just in case, were you aware of SimpleLog, Toothpick and Logging ?
>
> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/3706
> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5890
>
> Which are the differences/advantages of yours ? probably that at yours work in latests squeak and pharo versions
>
> thanks
>
> mariano
>

> On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 12:59 AM, Germán Arduino <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi:
>
> Frequently I need to log operations on text files for things I develop
> for my customers.
>
> I released now a tool (VERY simple) that I use to do so.
>
> I hope may be useful to someone.
>
> The url is http://www.squeaksource.com/SimpleLogger.html
>
> Cheers.
> Germán.

Re: [squeak-dev] [ANN] SimpleLogger released

garduino
About the logger??

It's so simple...........but still if you think that may help.....

Cheers.

2010/7/14 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:

> can you add a page on the book?
>
> Stef
>
> On Jul 14, 2010, at 1:04 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>
>> Hi German, Thanks very much for the ANN.
>>
>> Just in case, were you aware of SimpleLog, Toothpick and Logging ?
>>
>> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/3706
>> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5890
>>
>> Which are the differences/advantages of yours ? probably that at yours work in latests squeak and pharo versions
>>
>> thanks
>>
>> mariano
>>

>> On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 12:59 AM, Germán Arduino <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi:
>>
>> Frequently I need to log operations on text files for things I develop
>> for my customers.
>>
>> I released now a tool (VERY simple) that I use to do so.
>>
>> I hope may be useful to someone.
>>
>> The url is http://www.squeaksource.com/SimpleLogger.html
>>
>> Cheers.
>> Germán.

Re: [squeak-dev] [ANN] SimpleLogger released

Stéphane Ducasse
about all the loger frameworks

Stef

On Jul 14, 2010, at 4:33 PM, Germán Arduino wrote:

> About the logger??
>
> It's so simple...........but still if you think that may help.....
>
> Cheers.
>

> 2010/7/14 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:
>> can you add a page on the book?
>>
>> Stef
>>
>> On Jul 14, 2010, at 1:04 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>>
>>> Hi German, Thanks very much for the ANN.
>>>
>>> Just in case, were you aware of SimpleLog, Toothpick and Logging ?
>>>
>>> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/3706
>>> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5890
>>>
>>> Which are the differences/advantages of yours ? probably that at yours work in latests squeak and pharo versions
>>>
>>> thanks
>>>
>>> mariano
>>>

>>> On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 12:59 AM, Germán Arduino <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi:
>>>
>>> Frequently I need to log operations on text files for things I develop
>>> for my customers.
>>>
>>> I released now a tool (VERY simple) that I use to do so.
>>>
>>> I hope may be useful to someone.
>>>
>>> The url is http://www.squeaksource.com/SimpleLogger.html
>>>
>>> Cheers.
>>> Germán.

Re: [squeak-dev] [ANN] SimpleLogger released

garduino
Well, unfortunately I don't know deep the framework of Keith (as I
said before is
very heavy to my needs).

Toothpick seems very well documented
(http://www.metaprog.com/Toothpick/docs/index.html) even when I never
used it because also is more than my needs.

The other thing is don't know if run on Pharo.

About my own small piece of code, yes, I can write some doc, and even
extend it a bit (but not much, because I don't wants to add tons of
functions).

Exist somewhere somes guidelines about writing for the book?

Germán.

On Jul 14, 2010, at 6:11 PM, Germán Arduino wrote:

> Well, unfortunately I don't know deep the framework of Keith (as I
> said before is
> very heavy to my needs).
>
> Toothpick seems very well documented
> (http://www.metaprog.com/Toothpick/docs/index.html) even when I never
> used it because also is more than my needs.
>
> The other thing is don't know if run on Pharo.
>
> About my own small piece of code, yes, I can write some doc, and even
> extend it a bit (but not much, because I don't wants to add tons of
> functions).
>
> Exist somewhere somes guidelines about writing for the book?

first just mention the fact that there are multiple frameworks and how we can load them.

Documentation is just simple and we should start little step by little step to create contents and contexts.

Stef

> Germán.
>

> 2010/7/14 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:
>> about all the loger frameworks
>>
>> Stef
>>
>> On Jul 14, 2010, at 4:33 PM, Germán Arduino wrote:
>>
>>> About the logger??
>>>
>>> It's so simple...........but still if you think that may help.....
>>>
>>> Cheers.

Re: [squeak-dev] [ANN] SimpleLogger released

garduino
ok, is on my todo list.

Will comment when I get something done.

Germán.

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 6:11 PM, Germán Arduino <[hidden email]> wrote:
Well, unfortunately I don't know deep the framework of Keith (as I
said before is
very heavy to my needs).

Toothpick seems very well documented
(http://www.metaprog.com/Toothpick/docs/index.html) even when I never
used it because also is more than my needs.

The other thing is don't know if run on Pharo.

About my own small piece of code, yes, I can write some doc, and even
extend it a bit (but not much, because I don't wants to add tons of
functions).

Exist somewhere somes guidelines about writing for the book?

http://book.pharo-project.org/book/bookHelp/

And read the following chapters ;)

I've created a user for you and send the data in a private email.

Cheers

Mariano

Germán.

2010/7/14 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:
> about all the loger frameworks
>
> Stef
>
> On Jul 14, 2010, at 4:33 PM, Germán Arduino wrote:
>
>> About the logger??
>>
>> It's so simple...........but still if you think that may help.....
>>
>> Cheers.
>>

>> 2010/7/14 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:
>>> can you add a page on the book?
>>>
>>> Stef

Re: [squeak-dev] [ANN] SimpleLogger released

garduino
Thanks Mariano.

I'm a bit complicated with times on these days, but will start as soon as I can.

Cheers.

2010/7/14 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:

> On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 6:11 PM, Germán Arduino <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Well, unfortunately I don't know deep the framework of Keith (as I
>> said before is
>> very heavy to my needs).
>>
>> Toothpick seems very well documented
>> (http://www.metaprog.com/Toothpick/docs/index.html) even when I never
>> used it because also is more than my needs.
>>
>> The other thing is don't know if run on Pharo.
>>
>> About my own small piece of code, yes, I can write some doc, and even
>> extend it a bit (but not much, because I don't wants to add tons of
>> functions).
>>
>> Exist somewhere somes guidelines about writing for the book?
>>

> http://book.pharo-project.org/book/bookHelp/
>
> And read the following chapters ;)
>
> I've created a user for you and send the data in a private email.
>
> Cheers
>
> Mariano
>

>> Germán.
>>

>> 2010/7/14 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:
>> > about all the loger frameworks
>> >
>> > Stef

Re: [squeak-dev] [ANN] SimpleLogger released

Stéphane Ducasse
http://book.pharo-project.org/book/LoggingTools/

took me less than 7 minutes

We should not cry that there is no documentation if we do not take any possibility to build it incrementally

2010/7/15 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:

> http://book.pharo-project.org/book/LoggingTools/
>
> took me less than 7 minutes
>

> We should not cry that there is no documentation if we do not take any possibility to build it incrementally
> Stef

Well, I understood that you wanted a detailed explanation about how to
use each tool.....

Re: [squeak-dev] [ANN] SimpleLogger released

Stéphane Ducasse
start small :)

On Jul 15, 2010, at 1:01 PM, Germán Arduino wrote:

> 2010/7/15 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:
>> http://book.pharo-project.org/book/LoggingTools/
>>
>> took me less than 7 minutes
>>

>> We should not cry that there is no documentation if we do not take any possibility to build it incrementally
>> Stef
>>

> Well, I understood that you wanted a detailed explanation about how to
> use each tool.....

Re: [squeak-dev] [ANN] SimpleLogger released

garduino
ok, I added the documentation of my own package......Took me 15' :)

2010/7/15 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:

> start small :)
>

> On Jul 15, 2010, at 1:01 PM, Germán Arduino wrote:
>
>> 2010/7/15 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:
>>> http://book.pharo-project.org/book/LoggingTools/
>>>
>>> took me less than 7 minutes
>>>

>>> We should not cry that there is no documentation if we do not take any possibility to build it incrementally
>>> Stef
>>>

>> Well, I understood that you wanted a detailed explanation about how to
>> use each tool.....

Re: [squeak-dev] [ANN] SimpleLogger released

Alexandre Bergel
> ok, I added the documentation of my own package......Took me 15' :)

Hi Germán,

Do you have a configuration for this?
Thanks for the documentation

Cheers,
Alexandre

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: [squeak-dev] [ANN] SimpleLogger released

garduino
Hi Alex:

I have not a configuration for this package, I think is not necessary,
being that is really very simple.

On squeak-dev the people is talking about these topics, on the thread
"About Configurations".

Cheers.
Germán.

2010/7/15 Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]>:

>> ok, I added the documentation of my own package......Took me 15' :)
>
> Hi Germán,
>
> Do you have a configuration for this?
> Thanks for the documentation
>
> Cheers,
> Alexandre
>

>> 2010/7/15 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:
>>> start small :)

Re: [squeak-dev] [ANN] SimpleLogger released

excellent!

On Jul 15, 2010, at 1:30 PM, Germán Arduino wrote:

> ok, I added the documentation of my own package......Took me 15' :)
>
> 2010/7/15 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:
>> start small :)

>>> Well, I understood that you wanted a detailed explanation about how to
>>> use each tool.....

Re: [squeak-dev] [ANN] SimpleLogger released

Alexandre Bergel
Hi Germán,

Configuration may be a bit tricky to write time to time. However, they are indispensable to manage dependencies.
Suppose I want to use your logger in one of my software. The dependency I will introduce is easier if you have a configuration.

It takes 4,5 minutes to write one with the tutorial:
ConfigurationOfMetacello project latestVersion load: #('Tutorial').
ProfStef goOn: MetacelloCreateConfigurationTutorial.

Cheers,
Alexandre

On 15 Jul 2010, at 13:45, Germán Arduino wrote:

> Hi Alex:
>
> I have not a configuration for this package, I think is not necessary,
> being that is really very simple.
>
> On squeak-dev the people is talking about these topics, on the thread
> "About Configurations".
>
> Cheers.
> Germán.
>

> 2010/7/15 Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]>:
>>> ok, I added the documentation of my own package......Took me 15' :)
>>
>> Hi Germán,
>>
>> Do you have a configuration for this?
>> Thanks for the documentation
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Alexandre

>> --
>> _,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:
>> Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu
>> ^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;.

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: [squeak-dev] [ANN] SimpleLogger released

laurent laffont

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 2:19 PM, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Germán,

Configuration may be a bit tricky to write time to time. However, they are indispensable to manage dependencies.
Suppose I want to use your logger in one of my software. The dependency I will introduce is easier if you have a configuration.

It takes 4,5 minutes to write one with the tutorial:
ConfigurationOfMetacello project latestVersion load: #('Tutorial').
ProfStef goOn: MetacelloCreateConfigurationTutorial.

In Pharo 1.1, just clic on WorldMenu > Help > ProfStef Browser and execute Metacello Tutorial step by step: modify the code & evaluate. I always do like this now (quick).

Laurent.