[ANN] Smagick

stefan_reichhart@students.unibe.ch
Hi all,

"Smagick" is a small high level interface to control "Image Magick"
from within a Smalltalk environment, eg. Squeak. The purpose of this
package is to provide high performance image manipulations without
the need to know all the low level details of image processing.

A possible use case could be a web application providing image up/
download or even manipulation (for example thumbnailing, resizing,
recompression) to multiple users ...

What can "Smagick" do right now:
  - it can read all internal image properties  (examples: width,
height, colorspace, encoder, quality, bounding-box, ......)
  - it can read most exif information  (examples: camera software,
date, orientation, shutter-speed, .....)
  - it can convert any image format* to any other format*
  - it can apply various image transformations concerning quality,
colors, effects, orientation, size, metas (examples: resize,
charcoal, emboss, colorspace, exif-auto-orientation, .....)
  - it can compose [work in progress] multiple images (examples:
multiply, difference, add, ......)

* depends on your "Image Magick" installation

I attached some more information about getting, installing and using
"Smagick" at the bottom of this mail ...

I will add more features and try to make the interface more simple
and robust ... in the meantime I'm looking forward to some feedback

GETTING "Smagick"

"Smagick" depends on
  - OSProcess (+ UnixVM)

You can get "Smagick" from
  - "http://www.squeaksource.com/SqueakAddOns"
It will load all dependencies (except OSProcess)

INSTALLING "Smagick"

If you have "OmniBrowser" installed, execute the following after
    SmagickEnvironment setup
This will ask you for the installation path of "Image Magick",
providing an example of how this could look like ;). Furthermore it
will check whether "Image Magick" really exists in the given location.

If you don't have Omnibrowser installed, use
    SmagickEnvironment setupSilent: 'your installation path'
This will set the path but not perform a check.

SOME SIMPLE EXAMPLES OF USING "Smagick"

" this will apply some transformations on aFile.JPG and then save it
to anotherFile.PNG "
" NOTICE: the order of transformations is relevant !!! "
(SmagickImage on: 'aFile.jpg')
   convertTo: 'anotherFile.png'
   with: [ :image | image
     sharpen: 20;
     negate;
     autoOriented;
     polaroid;
     colors: 256;
     quality: 20 ]

" this will negate the cyan color channel only and then save
aFile.JPG to anotherFile.PNG "
(SmagickImage on: 'aFile.jpg')
   convertTo: 'anotherFile.png'
   with: [ :image | image
     image
       with: SmagickConstants cyan
       do: [ :channel |
         channel negate ] ]

" get the compression ratio of aFile.JPG "
(SmagickImage on: 'aFile.jpg')
   compressionQuality inspect

Re: [ANN] Smagick

Damien Cassou-3
Hi Stefan,

your project sounds really cool. Thank you.

Can you publish a Universe Package for it please?
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5899

Damien Cassou

Re: [ANN] Smagick

Martial Boniou
Excellent! I will try this as soon as possible. I was looking for such a
tool. As a Seaside user, I often need to add PHP in order to transform
text in images (with convenient fonts and the GD package); now I can do
everything in Squeak.

Martial

[hidden email] a écrit :
> [...]
| to anotherFile.PNG "
| " NOTICE: the order of transformations is relevant !!! "
| (SmagickImage on: 'aFile.jpg')
|   convertTo: 'anotherFile.png'
|   with: [ :image | image
|     sharpen: 20;
|     negate;
|     autoOriented;
|     polaroid;
|     colors: 256;
|     quality: 20 ]
|

| " this will negate the cyan color channel only and then save
| aFile.JPG to anotherFile.PNG "
| (SmagickImage on: 'aFile.jpg')
|   convertTo: 'anotherFile.png'
|   with: [ :image | image
|     image
|       with: SmagickConstants cyan
|       do: [ :channel |
|         channel negate ] ]
|
| " get the compression ratio of aFile.JPG "

NorbertHartl
Wow, it is exact the tool I was looking for. I'm struggling
a bit with the supported formats in squeak. I did a lot of
imagemagick in the past mostly via shell scripts or perl.
I'll test this very soon. The only caveat is that imagemagick
needs a lot memory to operate.

thanks for this,

Norbert

On Sun, 2007-08-05 at 13:42 +0200, [hidden email]
wrote:

> [...]
> to anotherFile.PNG "
> " NOTICE: the order of transformations is relevant !!! "
> (SmagickImage on: 'aFile.jpg')
>    convertTo: 'anotherFile.png'
>    with: [ :image | image
>      sharpen: 20;
>      negate;
>      autoOriented;
>      polaroid;
>      colors: 256;
>      quality: 20 ]
>

> " this will negate the cyan color channel only and then save
> aFile.JPG to anotherFile.PNG "
> (SmagickImage on: 'aFile.jpg')
>    convertTo: 'anotherFile.png'
>    with: [ :image | image
>      image
>        with: SmagickConstants cyan
>        do: [ :channel |
>          channel negate ] ]
>
> " get the compression ratio of aFile.JPG "

Sebastian Sastre-2
Awsome news Stefan! In short I'll need to use this features

        cheers !

Sebastian Sastre

Lex Spoon-3
> "Smagick" is a small high level interface to control "Image Magick"
> from within a Smalltalk environment, eg. Squeak. The purpose of this
> package is to provide high performance image manipulations without
> the need to know all the low level details of image processing.

Neat!!

There is a ton of stuff available on our machines outside of Squeak.
There are several ways to access such things, and Smagick's approach
is to use OSProcess.

Can you comment on how the interfacing works?  Does Image Magick have
a mode that lets you talk to it over a pipe, or does it have a rich
set of command-line options that Smagick can use, or what?

Also, does anyone have an idea if Smagick works in Windows, possibly
with Cygwin?  How about OS/X ?

Lex

Re: [ANN] Smagick

stefan.reichhart@gmx.ch
Hi,

Thanks (to all) for the nice feedbacks !

request by Damien:
"Smagick 0.1" is now available as Package Universe ;)

interfacing:
Right now the "IO" between "Smagick" and "Image Magic" via
"OSProcess" is done using "OSProcessIO". That is an intermediate
layer that composes the commands for a model (=Smagick) and returns
the parsed output (if there is any) and the process of an external
application (=Image Magick) back to it. "OSProcessIO" is using a file-
pipe for this ... yet very primitive.

I know that "Smagick" works well on Unix, Linux and MacOSX - tested
and heavily used. I don't know whether it runs on Windows. Maybe
someone can try it ? - I don't use Windows anymore ...

On Aug 7, 2007, at 3:54 PM, Lex Spoon wrote:

>> "Smagick" is a small high level interface to control "Image Magick"
>> from within a Smalltalk environment, eg. Squeak. The purpose of this
>> package is to provide high performance image manipulations without
>> the need to know all the low level details of image processing.
>
> Neat!!
>
> There is a ton of stuff available on our machines outside of Squeak.
> There are several ways to access such things, and Smagick's approach
> is to use OSProcess.
>
> Can you comment on how the interfacing works?  Does Image Magick have
> a mode that lets you talk to it over a pipe, or does it have a rich
> set of command-line options that Smagick can use, or what?
>
> Also, does anyone have an idea if Smagick works in Windows, possibly
> with Cygwin?  How about OS/X ?
>

> Lex

Re: [ANN] Smagick

Kevin Driedger
I've tried it on Windows and stepped through the code a bit and it seems that you are assuming that the names of the binaries will be without extensions but on Windows they add .exe to the end.  I'll see if I can change that.

]{evin

stefan.reichhart@gmx.ch wrote
Hi,

Thanks (to all) for the nice feedbacks !

request by Damien:
"Smagick 0.1" is now available as Package Universe ;)

interfacing:
Right now the "IO" between "Smagick" and "Image Magic" via
"OSProcess" is done using "OSProcessIO". That is an intermediate
layer that composes the commands for a model (=Smagick) and returns
the parsed output (if there is any) and the process of an external
application (=Image Magick) back to it. "OSProcessIO" is using a file-
pipe for this ... yet very primitive.

I know that "Smagick" works well on Unix, Linux and MacOSX - tested
and heavily used. I don't know whether it runs on Windows. Maybe
someone can try it ? - I don't use Windows anymore ...

On Aug 7, 2007, at 3:54 PM, Lex Spoon wrote:

>> "Smagick" is a small high level interface to control "Image Magick"
>> from within a Smalltalk environment, eg. Squeak. The purpose of this
>> package is to provide high performance image manipulations without
>> the need to know all the low level details of image processing.
>
> Neat!!
>
> There is a ton of stuff available on our machines outside of Squeak.
> There are several ways to access such things, and Smagick's approach
> is to use OSProcess.
>
> Can you comment on how the interfacing works?  Does Image Magick have
> a mode that lets you talk to it over a pipe, or does it have a rich
> set of command-line options that Smagick can use, or what?
>
> Also, does anyone have an idea if Smagick works in Windows, possibly
> with Cygwin?  How about OS/X ?
>

> Lex

Re: [ANN] Smagick

Kevin Driedger
I got a few more dependencies loaded only to get DNU on #waitForCommand: It seems that WindowsProcess needs some more work.

I've tried simplifying and just getting an external process launched ( ExternalWindowsOSProcess command: 'c:/WINDOWS/system32/notepad.exe' ) and even that doesn't work.... Alas it's time for bed.

]{evin

Kevin Driedger wrote
I've tried it on Windows and stepped through the code a bit and it seems that you are assuming that the names of the binaries will be without extensions but on Windows they add .exe to the end.  I'll see if I can change that.

]{evin

stefan.reichhart@gmx.ch wrote
Hi,

Thanks (to all) for the nice feedbacks !

request by Damien:
"Smagick 0.1" is now available as Package Universe ;)

interfacing:
Right now the "IO" between "Smagick" and "Image Magic" via
"OSProcess" is done using "OSProcessIO". That is an intermediate
layer that composes the commands for a model (=Smagick) and returns
the parsed output (if there is any) and the process of an external
application (=Image Magick) back to it. "OSProcessIO" is using a file-
pipe for this ... yet very primitive.

I know that "Smagick" works well on Unix, Linux and MacOSX - tested
and heavily used. I don't know whether it runs on Windows. Maybe
someone can try it ? - I don't use Windows anymore ...

On Aug 7, 2007, at 3:54 PM, Lex Spoon wrote:

>> "Smagick" is a small high level interface to control "Image Magick"
>> from within a Smalltalk environment, eg. Squeak. The purpose of this
>> package is to provide high performance image manipulations without
>> the need to know all the low level details of image processing.
>
> Neat!!
>
> There is a ton of stuff available on our machines outside of Squeak.
> There are several ways to access such things, and Smagick's approach
> is to use OSProcess.
>
> Can you comment on how the interfacing works?  Does Image Magick have
> a mode that lets you talk to it over a pipe, or does it have a rich
> set of command-line options that Smagick can use, or what?
>
> Also, does anyone have an idea if Smagick works in Windows, possibly
> with Cygwin?  How about OS/X ?
>

> Lex

Re: [ANN] Smagick

Kevin Driedger-3

--
]{evin ])riedger
1473 Brule Ave., Ottawa, ON
http://extremedesigners.ca

RE: [ANN] Smagick

Sebastian Sastre-2
Hi Stefan,

        I've open the SqueakAddOns MC http respository at squeaksource but
all versions gives the EOCD or cant read the stream.

        Do you know if that repository is in a normal state?

        I really want to be able to resize uploaded (to an app) images and
store them in a standarized (expected for the application) way and I think
Smagik can help for that.

        cheers,

Sebastian Sastre