[ANN] SmalltalkHub demo online

123

[ANN] SmalltalkHub demo online

Nicolas Petton
Hi,

We are happy to announce the first public demo of SmalltalkHub:
http://smalltalkhub.objectfusion.fr

You can explore SmalltalkHub at:
http://smalltalkhub.objectfusion.fr/explore

This is an alpha quality demo, please use it for testing purposes only.
Several features that will be included in the final release are missing,
especially:

- Team management
- Client-side scripting features
- Full commit lists

Still incomplete features:
- the UI for cloning is incomplete, especially, the list of forks is
missing
- The issue tracker is only partly implemented
- Several admin tools are missing
- The explore page misses a few things

Cheers,
Nicolas

--
Objectfusion S.A.R.L.

Web application development & design
http://www.objectfusion.fr/en

Re: [squeak-dev] [ANN] SmalltalkHub demo online

Miguel Cobá
Cool, cool, cool!

Some great issues:

- Fantastic design!
- Cool interface
- Fluid
- Good use of gravatar!
- Great that includes issue tracking out of the box!

Some minor issues:

- The link to ESUG on welcome page is broken
- Behind the search input there is some artifact shown.

Feature request

- Maybe rename label in issues to tracker (as in redmine where are
several trackers: error, task, suppor, etc., that groups same kind of
issues) and add tags to freely group issues about content

ups, it went down. Hope it wasn't me clicking freneticly the
all/open/closed issues buttons.

But in general amazing work guys!

Thanks to ESUG and ObjectFusion!

Stef, where can we donate to keep this kind of projects poping up?

--
Miguel Cobá
http://twitter.com/MiguelCobaMtz

Le mardi 19 avril 2011 à 11:53 -0500, Miguel Cobá a écrit :

> Cool, cool, cool!
>
> Some great issues:
>
> - Fantastic design!
> - Cool interface
> - Fluid
> - Good use of gravatar!
> - Great that includes issue tracking out of the box!

Thank you Miguel :)

> Some minor issues:
>
> - The link to ESUG on welcome page is broken
Fixed!
> - Behind the search input there is some artifact shown.
Fixed too :)

> Feature request
>
> - Maybe rename label in issues to tracker (as in redmine where are
> several trackers: error, task, suppor, etc., that groups same kind of
> issues) and add tags to freely group issues about content

Yes, this will be in the final release too.

> ups, it went down. Hope it wasn't me clicking freneticly the
> all/open/closed issues buttons.
Nope, I just restarted it with some fixes. (It shouldn't happen again,
as updates should happen without downtime).

Nicolas

--
Nicolas Petton
http://www.nicolas-petton.fr

Re: [squeak-dev] [ANN] SmalltalkHub demo online

Miguel Cobá
BTW the code browser is gorgeous!

And with syntax highlight!

Très bien!

--
Miguel Cobá
http://twitter.com/MiguelCobaMtz
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: [squeak-dev] [ANN] SmalltalkHub demo online

Marcus Denker-4

On Apr 19, 2011, at 6:54 PM, Miguel Cobá wrote:

> Thanks to ESUG and ObjectFusion!
>
> Stef, where can we donate to keep this kind of projects poping up?

There is a paypal button here:

http://esug.org/wiki/pier/About

Other ways to help ESUG are...

-> as a company, be a sponsor of ESUG.

        http://esug.org/wiki/pier/About/BecomeSponsor

This has two effects:

                1) Money for ESUG. Used e.g. to get Student Volunteers to the ESUG conference.
                2) Your Logo is displayed at http://esug.org

The Logo is not important for you company directly. But indirectly, it shows
to students and other interested developers that yes, you can have job doing Smalltalk. "It's not dead!".
(And in turn, your company will be able to hire people in the future).

-> Attend ESUG and pay the full late registration fee.
ESUG is getting better each year... if you don't belief that, just come and check.

        Marcus

--
Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.

Re: [ANN] SmalltalkHub demo online

laurent laffont

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 6:23 PM, Nicolas Petton <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

We are happy to announce the first public demo of SmalltalkHub:
http://smalltalkhub.objectfusion.fr

You can explore SmalltalkHub at:
http://smalltalkhub.objectfusion.fr/explore

yeeeeeepeeeeeeeeee !!!!

Laurent.

This is an alpha quality demo, please use it for testing purposes only.
Several features that will be included in the final release are missing,
especially:

- Team management
- Client-side scripting features
- Full commit lists

Still incomplete features:
- the UI for cloning is incomplete, especially, the list of forks is
missing
- The issue tracker is only partly implemented
- Several admin tools are missing
- The explore page misses a few things

Cheers,
Nicolas

--
Objectfusion S.A.R.L.

Web application development & design
http://www.objectfusion.fr/en

Re: [squeak-dev] [ANN] SmalltalkHub demo online

Miguel Cobá
Great!

El mar, 19-04-2011 a las 19:05 +0200, Marcus Denker escribió:

> On Apr 19, 2011, at 6:54 PM, Miguel Cobá wrote:
> >

> > Thanks to ESUG and ObjectFusion!
> >
> > Stef, where can we donate to keep this kind of projects poping up?
> >

> There is a paypal button here:
>
> http://esug.org/wiki/pier/About
>
> Other ways to help ESUG are...
>
> -> as a company, be a sponsor of ESUG.
>
> http://esug.org/wiki/pier/About/BecomeSponsor
>
> This has two effects:
>
> 1) Money for ESUG. Used e.g. to get Student Volunteers to the ESUG conference.
> 2) Your Logo is displayed at http://esug.org
>
> The Logo is not important for you company directly. But indirectly, it shows
> to students and other interested developers that yes, you can have job doing Smalltalk. "It's not dead!".
> (And in turn, your company will be able to hire people in the future).
>
> -> Attend ESUG and pay the full late registration fee.
> ESUG is getting better each year... if you don't belief that, just come and check.
>
> Marcus
>

> --
> Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de

Miguel Cobá
http://twitter.com/MiguelCobaMtz
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: [ANN] SmalltalkHub demo online

Geert Claes
Administrator
Great stuff!  I realize it is still a work in progress so just a couple of questions:
- How about compare versions?
- Non Smalltalk resource files?

Le mardi 19 avril 2011 à 10:18 -0700, Geert Claes a écrit :
> Great stuff!  I realize it is still a work in progress so just a couple of
> questions:
> - How about compare versions?
This is still missing, but planned.

> - Non Smalltalk resource files?
That's a good question. I don't have an answer for that right now.

Cheers,
Nicolas

--
Nicolas Petton
http://www.nicolas-petton.fr

Re: [ANN] SmalltalkHub demo online

Geert Claes
Administrator
Nicolas Petton wrote
> - Non Smalltalk resource files?
That's a good question. I don't have an answer for that right now.
Don't get me wrong this is great stuff already but since SmalltalkHub itself is a web app that uses non-smalltalk resources (javascript, css, images etc) it would be great to have one single repository to manage all project related resources.

Re: [ANN] SmalltalkHub demo online

Tudor Girba

Nice work!

Some questions:
- when should we expect this to be fully operational?
- is the guide to move squeaksource projects to smalltalkhub available already? If not, when would you expect to have it?

Some comments and issues:
- I like the timeline of a project
- I like the search availability
- the filtering user interface is slightly confusing - i do not know what to do when I get there
- I cannot delete a user- In Safari, the search box goes over the Create a new project header
- the Notes from the Create a new project page have no links:
"Please read "Using SmalltalkHub" and "Getting started with Monticello" if you are looking for help."
- the only available license for creating a new project is MIT
- I cannot delete a project
- after pressing "new project", even if you press on dashboard or another url, you still remain with the dialog open

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"When people care, great things can happen."

Re: [ANN] SmalltalkHub demo online

Sven Van Caekenberghe

On 19 Apr 2011, at 18:23, Nicolas Petton wrote:

> We are happy to announce the first public demo of SmalltalkHub:
> http://smalltalkhub.objectfusion.fr
>
> You can explore SmalltalkHub at:
> http://smalltalkhub.objectfusion.fr/explore
>
> This is an alpha quality demo, please use it for testing purposes only.

Great indeed. Nice work!

Works like a charm: http://smalltalkhub.objectfusion.fr/user/svc/Zinc%20HTTP%20Components

The code browser is cool and fast.

It even accepts spaces in project titles, or is that a side effect ?

Thx,

Sven

Re: [ANN] SmalltalkHub demo online

Joseph T. Bore

On Apr 19, 2011, at 1:34 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:
> - after pressing "new project", even if you press on dashboard or another url, you still remain with the dialog open

i ran into this too, just hit the cancel button on that dialog and it goes away.

--
There are 10 types of people in the world, those who know binary, and

Le mardi 19 avril 2011 à 10:31 -0700, Geert Claes a écrit :

> Nicolas Petton wrote:
> >
> >> - Non Smalltalk resource files?
> > That's a good question. I don't have an answer for that right now.
> >

> Don't get me wrong this is great stuff already but since SmalltalkHub itself
> is a web app that uses non-smalltalk resources (javascript, css, images etc)
> it would be great to have one single repository to manage all project
> related resources.
I understand, it would be a good addition.
but how would you manage it?

Nicolas

Nicolas Petton
http://www.nicolas-petton.fr

On 19 Apr 2011, at 19:39, Joseph T. Bore wrote:

> On Apr 19, 2011, at 1:34 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:
>> - after pressing "new project", even if you press on dashboard or another url, you still remain with the dialog open
>

> i ran into this too, just hit the cancel button on that dialog and it goes away.

I know, but it is an issue with the usability and I thought the authors should know about it :)

Cheers,
Doru

> --
> There are 10 types of people in the world, those who know binary, and

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"No matter how many recipes we know, we still value a chef."

Re: [ANN] SmalltalkHub demo online

Miguel Cobá
Other feature request.

Save the web, filter spaces from project names (at least in urls).

:)

Cheers

Le mardi 19 avril 2011 à 19:34 +0200, Tudor Girba a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> Nice work!
Thanks!

> Some questions:
> - when should we expect this to be fully operational?
In the next few weeks.

> - is the guide to move squeaksource projects to smalltalkhub available already? If not, when would you expect to have it?
before a stable release :)

> Some comments and issues:
> - I like the timeline of a project
> - I like the search availability
> - the filtering user interface is slightly confusing - i do not know what to do when I get there
Thanks for the feedback. How would you like to see it improved?

> - I cannot delete a user
Right now you cannot delete users, packages or projects. But this will
of course be added.

> - In Safari, the search box goes over the Create a new project header
Oops, CSS issue. I'll fix it.

> - the Notes from the Create a new project page have no links:
> "Please read "Using SmalltalkHub" and "Getting started with Monticello" if you are looking for help."
Yes, this is temporary (admins will be able to edit it).

> - the only available license for creating a new project is MIT
That's because I'm lazy. I'll add some other licenses. That's also
configurable by admins.
> - I cannot delete a project
> - after pressing "new project", even if you press on dashboard or another url, you still remain with the dialog open
There is a cancel button for that.

Cheers,
Nicolas

--
Nicolas Petton
http://www.nicolas-petton.fr

Le mardi 19 avril 2011 à 19:43 +0200, Tudor Girba a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> On 19 Apr 2011, at 19:39, Joseph T. Bore wrote:
>

> > On Apr 19, 2011, at 1:34 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:
> >> - after pressing "new project", even if you press on dashboard or another url, you still remain with the dialog open
> >

> > i ran into this too, just hit the cancel button on that dialog and it goes away.
>
> I know, but it is an issue with the usability and I thought the authors should know about it :)
yes, you're perfectly right. it will be fixed :)

Cheers,
Nicolas

Le mardi 19 avril 2011 à 12:45 -0500, Miguel Cobá a écrit :
> Other feature request.
>
> Save the web, filter spaces from project names (at least in urls).
Yep, added to my todo list!

Cheers,
Nicolas

--
Nicolas Petton
http://www.nicolas-petton.fr

Re: [ANN] SmalltalkHub demo online

Geert Claes
Administrator
Nicolas Petton wrote
I understand, it would be a good addition.
but how would you manage it?
Dunno, how about in the "Source" tab, in addition to the section for (Smalltalk) Packages add a "Resources" section?

What does everyone else think?
123