[ANN] SmalltalkHub demo online

Torsten Bergmann
Serge  wrote
>Very similar to forks in github: if you have no access to a project or
>the project seems stalled, you fork the project ans apply your own
>patches.

But with one difference: a fork means really forking (the whole) codebase
and this fork is usually available at a different location.
You can (and have to) completely maintain this fork then. This could
be good or bad. The more forks exist the more people can be confused...

But an projects "Inbox" would be bound to the project - so project
developers/admins could decide which "inbox" contribution to accept
and integrate into the code base. People who provide good contributions
could later be added as project developers and even when a contribution is
not integrated it is close to the project for others to use.

Currently we do something similar with Pharo and PharoInbox - but they
are two separate projects in SqS. A default "Inbox" for any project
would IMHO a nice addition.

Bye
T.

Re: [ANN] SmalltalkHub demo online

Nicolas Petton
Thanks for the suggestion. I don't know yet how it would fit with SmalltalkHub, and how to integrate it, but it could be a nice addition indeed.

Cheers,
Nico

2011/8/4 Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]>
Serge  wrote
>Very similar to forks in github: if you have no access to a project or
>the project seems stalled, you fork the project ans apply your own
>patches.

But with one difference: a fork means really forking (the whole) codebase
and this fork is usually available at a different location.
You can (and have to) completely maintain this fork then. This could
be good or bad. The more forks exist the more people can be confused...

But an projects "Inbox" would be bound to the project - so project
developers/admins could decide which "inbox" contribution to accept
and integrate into the code base. People who provide good contributions
could later be added as project developers and even when a contribution is
not integrated it is close to the project for others to use.

Currently we do something similar with Pharo and PharoInbox - but they
are two separate projects in SqS. A default "Inbox" for any project
would IMHO a nice addition.

Bye
T.

Re: [ANN] SmalltalkHub demo online

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 1:32 PM, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
Serge  wrote
>Very similar to forks in github: if you have no access to a project or
>the project seems stalled, you fork the project ans apply your own
>patches.

But with one difference: a fork means really forking (the whole) codebase
and this fork is usually available at a different location.
You can (and have to) completely maintain this fork then. This could
be good or bad. The more forks exist the more people can be confused...

But an projects "Inbox" would be bound to the project - so project
developers/admins could decide which "inbox" contribution to accept
and integrate into the code base. People who provide good contributions
could later be added as project developers and even when a contribution is
not integrated it is close to the project for others to use.

Currently we do something similar with Pharo and PharoInbox - but they
are two separate projects in SqS. A default "Inbox" for any project
would IMHO a nice addition.

+999999

Bye
T.