[ANN] Smalltalks 2009 - Third Smalltalk Conference of Argentina

[ANN] Smalltalks 2009 - Third Smalltalk Conference of Argentina

Andres Valloud-4
Argentina's third Smalltalk conference, Smalltalks 2009, will be held
from November 19th through November 21rd at the Facultad de Ciencias
Exactas y Naturales (FCEyN), Universidad de Buenos Aires (UBA).

All those connected with Smalltalk, be it faculty, students,
researchers, developers or entrepreneurs, are invited to participate,
free of cost, as presenters and members of the audience.  The
organization committee will announce the registration website shortly.

The conference's goal is to gather both the Argentine and International
Smalltalk community to get connected sharing our work and experience
with regards to Smalltalk or related topics.  Smalltalks 2009
presentations will be divided between the "Industry and Development" and
"Research and Education" categories.  In addition, the event will host a
Smalltalk programming contest.  As in other editions, well known
personalities from the international community will attend the conference.

The "Research and Education" category is the best match for research and
education work done with Smalltalk in universities and public or private
entities.  The "Industry and Development" category is suitable for
presentations related to Smalltalk software developed by companies or
individuals, both public and private.

A list of suggested presentation topics, not exclusive, is below:

* Development tools.
* Development with prototypes.
* Model driven development.
* Agile practices (XP, TDD, etc).
* Web application development.
* Metamodeling / metaprogramming.
* New frameworks or models.
* Materials for education.
* Embedded systems and robotics.
* SOA and web services.
* Experience reports, both development and research.
* Commercial systems.
* Automation and best testing practices.
* Interoperability with other technologies.
* Best design and architecture practices.

Interested presenters should keep in mind the following deadline schedule.

1.  You must present a summary of the proposed presentation no later
than Monday, October 19th, 2009.  The summary must fit on a single page,
and must include a description, objective, and category of the work to
be shown.  The submission procedure will be announced shortly.

2.  The conference's program committee will select the event's
presentations from the proposals submitted according to the above
procedure by Monday, October 26th.  The proposals including dynamic
examples as opposed to just static presentations will be given priority.

3.  The conference schedule will be published in the conference's
website on Wednesday, October 28th.

4.  The conference's works and presentations will be published in the
conference's website after the conference.

Those interested in the coding contest can become familiarized with it
at the smalltalks-2009-coding-contest Google group:

    [hidden email]

The contest's goal is to have a good time solving a problem in
Smalltalk, and win a prize while at it.  We are working hard to ensure
everyone can participate, and we will show examples and prototypes that
can be improved by the participants.

For directions to FCEyN, you can go to the computer science department's
web site:

    http://dc.uba.ar

Feel free to share this invitation with those who might be interested.
If you have any questions, send us an email at

    fundacion (dot) smalltalk (at) gmail (dot) com

See you at the conference!
Smalltalks 2009 Organization Committee.

Re: [ANN] Smalltalks 2009 - Third Smalltalk Conference of Argentina

Alexandre Bergel
Andres,

I would like to organize a Pharo Sprint. Do you think a room may be
provided with: enough chair, a white board, a video projector.

Cheers,
Alexandre

On 22 Aug 2009, at 17:46, Andres Valloud wrote:

> [...]
> conference's website after the conference.
>
> Those interested in the coding contest can become familiarized with it
> at the smalltalks-2009-coding-contest Google group:
>
>    [hidden email]
>
> The contest's goal is to have a good time solving a problem in
> Smalltalk, and win a prize while at it.  We are working hard to ensure
> everyone can participate, and we will show examples and prototypes
> that
> can be improved by the participants.
>
> For directions to FCEyN, you can go to the computer science
> department's
> web site:
>
>    http://dc.uba.ar
>
> Feel free to share this invitation with those who might be interested.
> If you have any questions, send us an email at
>
>    fundacion (dot) smalltalk (at) gmail (dot) com

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: [ANN] Smalltalks 2009 - Third Smalltalk Conference of Argentina

hernan.wilkinson
Hi Alexander
 no problem, I'll ask for a room for that.

Hernan.

On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 1:37 PM, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>    [hidden email]
>
> The contest's goal is to have a good time solving a problem in
> Smalltalk, and win a prize while at it.  We are working hard to ensure
> everyone can participate, and we will show examples and prototypes
> that
> can be improved by the participants.
>
> For directions to FCEyN, you can go to the computer science
> department's
> web site:
>
>    http://dc.uba.ar
>
> Feel free to share this invitation with those who might be interested.
> If you have any questions, send us an email at
>
>    fundacion (dot) smalltalk (at) gmail (dot) com
>
> See you at the conference!
> Smalltalks 2009 Organization Committee.

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: [ANN] Smalltalks 2009 - Third Smalltalk Conference of Argentina

Stéphane Ducasse
May I suggest a simple modification?
It would be better to have a sprint before the conference.
and does not mean that a group of coder can code in a room during
boring conference talks
Then I do not see why we would need a projector.

Stef

On Aug 24, 2009, at 11:04 PM, Hernan Wilkinson wrote:

> [...]
> >
> >    [hidden email]
> >
> > The contest's goal is to have a good time solving a problem in
> > Smalltalk, and win a prize while at it.  We are working hard to
> ensure
> > everyone can participate, and we will show examples and prototypes
> > that
> > can be improved by the participants.
> >
> > For directions to FCEyN, you can go to the computer science
> > department's
> > web site:
> >
> >    http://dc.uba.ar
> >
> > Feel free to share this invitation with those who might be
> interested.
> > If you have any questions, send us an email at
> >
> >    fundacion (dot) smalltalk (at) gmail (dot) com
> >
> > See you at the conference!
> > Smalltalks 2009 Organization Committee.

Re: [ANN] Smalltalks 2009 - Third Smalltalk Conference of Argentina

yeah, that is not a problem, but it could be more difficult to gather people... how many people do you want to participate?

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 6:06 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> >    [hidden email]
> >
> > The contest's goal is to have a good time solving a problem in
> > Smalltalk, and win a prize while at it.  We are working hard to
> ensure
> > everyone can participate, and we will show examples and prototypes
> > that
> > can be improved by the participants.
> >
> > For directions to FCEyN, you can go to the computer science
> > department's
> > web site:
> >
> >    http://dc.uba.ar
> >
> > Feel free to share this invitation with those who might be
> interested.
> > If you have any questions, send us an email at
> >
> >    fundacion (dot) smalltalk (at) gmail (dot) com
> >
> > See you at the conference!
> > Smalltalks 2009 Organization Committee.

Re: [ANN] Smalltalks 2009 - Third Smalltalk Conference of Argentina

csrabak

I think it would be great if the sprint could occur before the
conference as it makes less harder to participate (as you don't have
to concern the loosing of panels or other 'competing' conference
events).

However, for this specific conference, I understand that this means to
have facilities available in a Sunday, will it be possible?

Em 01/09/2009 04:41,  Hernan Wilkinson <[hidden email]> escreveu:

> [...]
> > > at the smalltalks-2009-coding-contest Google group:
> > > [hidden email]
> > > The contest's goal  is to have a good time  solving a problem in
> > > Smalltalk, and win a prize while at it.  We are working hard to
> > ensure
> > > everyone  can  participate,  and   we  will  show  examples  and
> > > prototypes that can be improved by the participants.
> > > For  directions to  FCEyN, you  can go  to the  computer science
> > > department's web site:
> > > http://dc.uba.ar
> > > Feel free to share this invitation with those who might be
> > interested.
> > > If you have any questions, send us an email at
> > > fundacion (dot) smalltalk (at) gmail (dot) com
> > > See  you  at   the  conference!   Smalltalks  2009  Organization
> > > Committee.

Re: [ANN] Smalltalks 2009 - Third Smalltalk Conference of Argentina

It is a bit hard to predict how many people will participate. I know
that approx 4 or 5 people from Argentina expressed their interest.
Best is to set up a webpage. I will do it.

Cheers,
Alexandre

On 1 Sep 2009, at 03:41, Hernan Wilkinson wrote:

> [...]
> > > that
> > > can be improved by the participants.
> > >
> > > For directions to FCEyN, you can go to the computer science
> > > department's
> > > web site:
> > >
> > >    http://dc.uba.ar
> > >
> > > Feel free to share this invitation with those who might be
> > interested.
> > > If you have any questions, send us an email at
> > >
> > >    fundacion (dot) smalltalk (at) gmail (dot) com
> > >
> > > See you at the conference!
> > > Smalltalks 2009 Organization Committee.

> project
> > >

> > --
> > Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: [ANN] Smalltalks 2009 - Third Smalltalk Conference of Argentina

Mariano Martinez Peck
See this: http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/PharoSprints