[ANN] Squeak 4.5 Release Candidate 1

123

[ANN] Squeak 4.5 Release Candidate 1

Chris Muller-3
It's ready for your final testing and scrutiny!

   http://ftp.squeak.org/4.5alpha/Squeak4.5-13663.zip

Please bang on this!  Test it with your apps.  Test it in Windows,
iOS, Linux.  Interpreter and Cog.

Unless we hit any show-stoppers, this will be the one we can call "done."

Thanks to this great community of brilliant developers for making 4.5
a superb release.

Re: [ANN] Squeak 4.5 Release Candidate 1

Frank Shearar-3
On 27 January 2014 16:51, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It's ready for your final testing and scrutiny!
>
>    http://ftp.squeak.org/4.5alpha/Squeak4.5-13663.zip
>
> Please bang on this!  Test it with your apps.  Test it in Windows,
> iOS, Linux.  Interpreter and Cog.
>
> Unless we hit any show-stoppers, this will be the one we can call "done."
>
> Thanks to this great community of brilliant developers for making 4.5
> a superb release.

Thanks, Chris!

I'll take it to the UK Smalltalk User Group tonight.

frank

Re: [ANN] Squeak 4.5 Release Candidate 1

Herbert König

wanted to start banging, opened a MC Browser to try my apps, selected
the local package cache and on clicking 'open' it started
to update from trunk and asked for a user name for
source.squeak.org/trunk, suggesting cmm.

By now I hit cancel 33 times, each time a mcz was downloaded and installed.

I'll continue reporting

Cheers

Herbert

Am 27.01.2014 17:51, schrieb Chris Muller:

> It's ready for your final testing and scrutiny!
>
>     http://ftp.squeak.org/4.5alpha/Squeak4.5-13663.zip
>
> Please bang on this!  Test it with your apps.  Test it in Windows,
> iOS, Linux.  Interpreter and Cog.
>
> Unless we hit any show-stoppers, this will be the one we can call "done."
>
> Thanks to this great community of brilliant developers for making 4.5
> a superb release.

Re: [ANN] Squeak 4.5 Release Candidate 1

Herbert König
Killed the image after 56 files

The update URL was correctly set to 4.5 but it loaded from trunk, no
update related preference would change this.

Loaded my mcz by dragging it on the desktop, opened a browser which via
some animation slid into making a button unreadable.
Each click into a list started another animation of resizing the browser
panes.

How can I stop this? This really is distracting. Inspectors also
animate, as well as the debugger which is extremely unhelpful.

And there is no welcome Workspace open. Though closing them is an
annoyance to people like me I still vote for having them open like prior
releases.

Cheers,

Herbert

System Browser.gif (27K) Download Attachment

Re: [ANN] Squeak 4.5 Release Candidate 1

Herbert König
Hi,

I typed while I tested so it sounds a harsh. Sorry, this was not intended. I really appreciate the work being done here!

 I see this as a tiny glitch which leaves me helpless nonetheless. While I'm at it, I changed the insertion point color from red to black.

Cheers,

Herbert

Am 27.01.2014 19:19, schrieb Herbert König:
[...]

Karl Ramberg

On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 7:19 PM, Herbert König <[hidden email]> wrote:
Killed the image after 56 files

The update URL was correctly set to 4.5 but it loaded from trunk, no update related preference would change this.

Loaded my mcz by dragging it on the desktop, opened a browser which via some animation slid into making a button unreadable.
Each click into a list started another animation of resizing the browser panes.

How can I stop this? This really is distracting. Inspectors also animate, as well as the debugger which is extremely unhelpful.

These are Smart Horizontal and vertical splitters preference

Cheers,
Karl

[...]

Thanks Karl,

that helps a lot.

What do others think of this preference?

It may work well on big monitors, on a Laptop it always leaves one pane to small because the overall window is too small.

Otherwise I ran into nothing while testing my own apps.

Cheers,

Herbert

[...]

timrowledge

On 27-01-2014, at 10:19 AM, Herbert König <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  opened a browser which via some animation slid into making a button unreadable.
> Each click into a list started another animation of resizing the browser panes.
>
> How can I stop this? This really is distracting. Inspectors also animate, as well as the debugger which is extremely unhelpful.

Ooh, yuck. Now that’s a nasty bit of unwarranted UI flummery. Please let’s turn that off by default, at the very least.

> And there is no welcome Workspace open. Though closing them is an annoyance to people like me I still vote for having them open like prior releases.

I concur. Something open by default that explains what the this weird looking window is and why I don’t want to just close it right away and go back to a nice, safe, familiar TECO terminal and start typing JCL cards.

I see that we have a quite large collection of help-ish things under ‘Help’; I don’t think I’ve ever looked there before ;-)
The problem immediately apparent is that we have a collection, not a simple and intelligible system. 4 workspaces, an application sort of window, another workspace, a submenu of workspaces, an application thing that looks a bit like the ancient Windows help stuff I recall from Windows 3.1, and then another application that looks like a variant of the previous one (and actually includes it, I see) with some possibly useful info but not much. It needs at the least some content in the initial view!

I fear we’re likely to confuse more than help in too many situations. Surely we ought at least fold all those things into the one help browser to gather everything into one place. Then we can consider how to actually explain stuff a bit better.

tim
Ubi dubium ibi libertas

Re: [ANN] Squeak 4.5 Release Candidate 1

JohnReed Maffeo
1. There is an interesting (and to me, unnerving) new feature in Squeak Squeak4.5-13663.

Automatic pane resizing in System Browser.

When I mouse around in a newly opened window, the panes resize their height and width in seemingly random ways. I find no value in the resizing that is done.

2. Comment:  From an experienced user perspective, I appreciate the clean look when I first open Squeak.
>From a new user perspective, I appreciate the introductory screens.

3. Presenter(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #associatedMorph
     a. Open Squeak
     b. Open a new morphic project
     c. Return to previous project
     d. Select red X, close this window.
     d.  MNU Really delete the icon
          and remove the project
          'Unnamed' from Etoys?
          (file will still be saved on disk.

Thats all from my lunch break.

johnreed

Anyone else able to reproduce this, I can't..

On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 11:51 AM, Herbert König <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> wanted to start banging, opened a MC Browser to try my apps, selected the
> local package cache and on clicking 'open' it started
> to update from trunk and asked for a user name for source.squeak.org/trunk,
> suggesting cmm.
>
> By now I hit cancel 33 times, each time a mcz was downloaded and installed.
>
> I'll continue reporting
>
> Cheers
>
> Herbert
>

> Am 27.01.2014 17:51, schrieb Chris Muller:
>
>> It's ready for your final testing and scrutiny!
>>
>>     http://ftp.squeak.org/4.5alpha/Squeak4.5-13663.zip
>>
>> Please bang on this!  Test it with your apps.  Test it in Windows,
>> iOS, Linux.  Interpreter and Cog.
>>
>> Unless we hit any show-stoppers, this will be the one we can call "done."
>>
>> Thanks to this great community of brilliant developers for making 4.5
>> a superb release.

Re: [ANN] Squeak 4.5 Release Candidate 1

Chris Muller-3
Hi John-Reed,

On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 3:23 PM, JohnReed Maffeo <[hidden email]> wrote:
> 1. There is an interesting (and to me, unnerving) new feature in Squeak Squeak4.5-13663.
>
> Automatic pane resizing in System Browser.
>
> When I mouse around in a newly opened window, the panes resize their height and width in seemingly random ways.

It's not random at all.  The philosophy of the horizontal-splitter
algorithm is to 1) only expose additional information but, 2) don't
truncate any information to accomplish that, e.g., only encroach on
whitespace.

For vertical bars; the bars between lists will automatically
reposition themselves to encroach on whitespace in one pane to expose
more information in adjacent panes.  It will balance the number of
characters occluded on either side of the bar, if necessary.

For either, if a particular splitter is manually positioned, it will
remain still at the dragged location.  To reactivate
automatic-positioning, yellow-click it.

> I find no value in the resizing that is done.

A lot of thoughtful consideration, design, and implementation work
went into it.  It's a major productivity boost.  It alleviates 90% of
manual sizing otherwise required by the user in a typical day.

Everyone should give this chance for at least one full day's work
before judging it.  I struggled with the animation distraction for a
day or two, but now when I open a window, I simply let them do their
work while I put the window where I want.  I'm 90% liberated from
manual twiddling, positioning and scrolling.  I've noticed even the
_need_ to resize windows is reduced too.

> 2. Comment:  From an experienced user perspective, I appreciate the clean look when I first open Squeak.
> >From a new user perspective, I appreciate the introductory screens.

I want to deliver a clean-look this time.  If a new user is presented
with nothing but a clean desktop, they have no choice but to
"explore".  I don't to want to fool new users into getting comfortable
by thinking those workspaces have everything they need to do useful
things with Squeak.  I want them in the "drivers seat" from the get
go.

> 3. Presenter(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #associatedMorph
>      a. Open Squeak
>      b. Open a new morphic project
>      c. Return to previous project
>      d. Select red X, close this window.
>      d.  MNU Really delete the icon
>           and remove the project
>           'Unnamed' from Etoys?
>           (file will still be saved on disk.
>
> Thats all from my lunch break.

Shit, we should fix that.

Thanks.

Re: [ANN] Squeak 4.5 Release Candidate 1

Herbert König
Retried with freshly downloaded image and VM, same result.

Win7 home premium 64 Bit, Cog 13.33.267.

Disabling IPV6 doesn't help.

Same result with Win XP home 32 Bit in a current Virtual Box.

Same result if I "unplug" the network connections in this VM.

Dusted off my old Laptop, Win XP, same result.

This happens with all repositorys listed in MC Browser.

Cheers,

Herbert

Am 27.01.2014 22:52, schrieb Chris Muller:

> Anyone else able to reproduce this, I can't..
>
> On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 11:51 AM, Herbert König <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> wanted to start banging, opened a MC Browser to try my apps, selected the
>> local package cache and on clicking 'open' it started
>> to update from trunk and asked for a user name for source.squeak.org/trunk,
>> suggesting cmm.
>>
>> By now I hit cancel 33 times, each time a mcz was downloaded and installed.
>>
>> I'll continue reporting
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Herbert
>>

>> Am 27.01.2014 17:51, schrieb Chris Muller:
>>
>>> It's ready for your final testing and scrutiny!
>>>
>>>      http://ftp.squeak.org/4.5alpha/Squeak4.5-13663.zip
>>>
>>> Please bang on this!  Test it with your apps.  Test it in Windows,
>>> iOS, Linux.  Interpreter and Cog.
>>>
>>> Unless we hit any show-stoppers, this will be the one we can call "done."
>>>
>>> Thanks to this great community of brilliant developers for making 4.5
>>> a superb release.

Re: [ANN] Squeak 4.5 Release Candidate 1

Bert Freudenberg
On 27.01.2014, at 22:52, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Anyone else able to reproduce this, I can't..

Happens for me just as Herbert described it. You would be the only who can't reproduce it :)

Because on your machine the package cache directory stored in the image will exist, so it would continue to use that one.

ReleaseBuilder should nil out MCCacheRepository's "default" class inst var.

And please make the pane resizing go away.

- Bert -

> On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 11:51 AM, Herbert König <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> wanted to start banging, opened a MC Browser to try my apps, selected the
>> local package cache and on clicking 'open' it started
>> to update from trunk and asked for a user name for source.squeak.org/trunk,
>> suggesting cmm.
>>
>> By now I hit cancel 33 times, each time a mcz was downloaded and installed.
>>
>> I'll continue reporting
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Herbert
>>

>> Am 27.01.2014 17:51, schrieb Chris Muller:
>>
>>> It's ready for your final testing and scrutiny!
>>>
>>>    http://ftp.squeak.org/4.5alpha/Squeak4.5-13663.zip
>>>
>>> Please bang on this!  Test it with your apps.  Test it in Windows,
>>> iOS, Linux.  Interpreter and Cog.
>>>
>>> Unless we hit any show-stoppers, this will be the one we can call "done."
>>>
>>> Thanks to this great community of brilliant developers for making 4.5
>>> a superb release.

- Bert -

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

On 27.01.2014, at 23:19, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi John-Reed,

On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 3:23 PM, JohnReed Maffeo <[hidden email]> wrote:

I find no value in the resizing that is done.

A lot of thoughtful consideration, design, and implementation work
went into it.  It's a major productivity boost.  It alleviates 90% of
manual sizing otherwise required by the user in a typical day.

Chris, I appreciate the things you add to Squeak. But as a release manager, you have to wear a different hat. Now, a couple of days before the release, is not a good time to introduce a major UI change. That needs to be done at the beginning of a release cycle, not at the end of it.

Everyone should give this chance for at least one full day's work
before judging it.

Hear hear. All the more reason to not squeeze this in at the last minute.

2. Comment:  From an experienced user perspective, I appreciate the clean look when I first open Squeak.
From a new user perspective, I appreciate the introductory screens.

I want to deliver a clean-look this time.  If a new user is presented
with nothing but a clean desktop, they have no choice but to
"explore".  I don't to want to fool new users into getting comfortable
by thinking those workspaces have everything they need to do useful
things with Squeak.  I want them in the "drivers seat" from the get
go.

I'm not sure which way is better - having things thrown in your face, or invite exploration. So I wouldn't be opposed in trying your way (and at least as an experienced developer I won't have to close all the annoying windows).

What may be detrimental though is said exploratory experience right now. Pretending to be a newbie, I just clicked on Help, then "Terse Guide to Squeak" which sounded inviting. The very first item looks like this:
The advantage we have with a few pre-opened windows is that we get to choose what a user sees first. Since first impressions do count, this might be advantageous. Unfortunately I don't think we have the time now to fix everything to make it nicely explorable -- although that is a very important goal we should pursue, in general.

So ... thanks for your release work, just be a bit more conservative, okay? Integrate, not innovate. Innovation can rush in again when this package is shipped :)

- Bert -

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: [ANN] Squeak 4.5 Release Candidate 1

Herbert König
Chris,

I will give it a try when I can use MC Browser in 4.5 (will report but
will take some time).

Right now I'm in experimenting state and spend most of the time in the
debugger. Now my resizing rate is 2 in a debugger. I'll see how that
changes.

But a newbie not having your explanation will be lost. And I think we
can't afford to loose any newcomer right now.

Cheers,

Herbert

Am 27.01.2014 23:19, schrieb Chris Muller:

> Hi John-Reed,
>
> On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 3:23 PM, JohnReed Maffeo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> 1. There is an interesting (and to me, unnerving) new feature in Squeak Squeak4.5-13663.
>>
>> Automatic pane resizing in System Browser.
>>
>> When I mouse around in a newly opened window, the panes resize their height and width in seemingly random ways.
> It's not random at all.  The philosophy of the horizontal-splitter
> algorithm is to 1) only expose additional information but, 2) don't
> truncate any information to accomplish that, e.g., only encroach on
> whitespace.
>
> For vertical bars; the bars between lists will automatically
> reposition themselves to encroach on whitespace in one pane to expose
> more information in adjacent panes.  It will balance the number of
> characters occluded on either side of the bar, if necessary.
>
> For either, if a particular splitter is manually positioned, it will
> remain still at the dragged location.  To reactivate
> automatic-positioning, yellow-click it.
>
>> I find no value in the resizing that is done.
> A lot of thoughtful consideration, design, and implementation work
> went into it.  It's a major productivity boost.  It alleviates 90% of
> manual sizing otherwise required by the user in a typical day.
>
> Everyone should give this chance for at least one full day's work
> before judging it.  I struggled with the animation distraction for a
> day or two, but now when I open a window, I simply let them do their
> work while I put the window where I want.  I'm 90% liberated from
> manual twiddling, positioning and scrolling.  I've noticed even the
> _need_ to resize windows is reduced too.
>
>> 2. Comment:  From an experienced user perspective, I appreciate the clean look when I first open Squeak.
>> >From a new user perspective, I appreciate the introductory screens.
> I want to deliver a clean-look this time.  If a new user is presented
> with nothing but a clean desktop, they have no choice but to
> "explore".  I don't to want to fool new users into getting comfortable
> by thinking those workspaces have everything they need to do useful
> things with Squeak.  I want them in the "drivers seat" from the get
> go.
>
>> 3. Presenter(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #associatedMorph
>>       a. Open Squeak
>>       b. Open a new morphic project
>>       c. Return to previous project
>>       d. Select red X, close this window.
>>       d.  MNU Really delete the icon
>>            and remove the project
>>            'Unnamed' from Etoys?
>>            (file will still be saved on disk.
>>
>> Thats all from my lunch break.
> Shit, we should fix that.
>
> Thanks.

Re: [ANN] Squeak 4.5 Release Candidate 1

Jeff Gonis-2
Hi Chris,

I'll echo what others are saying here and cast my vote for not having the pane resizing feature in the 4.5 release.  I do think that it could be a really nice feature for 4.6 but I think it needs a little time to bake.

My own 2 cents would be to make resizing occur without redraw until an optimal size is found and then do the resizing all at once to reduce the visual distraction that occurs by having the panes "swim" as I browse through different classes. I also think it needs a little but more time to bake as I have found the same thing the Herbert did above, namely that the pane resizing can make associated buttons too small.

I think that this could be a really nice feature with some refinement, but for this release I don't think it is ready to go. Count this as my vote for putting it in the 4.6 development cycle and letting people bang on it during that time.

Thanks,
Jeff

On 27-01-2014, at 1:52 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:

Anyone else able to reproduce this, I can't..

Probably because you have some set-up initialised ok - it’s after your uid after all.
All I did was follow Herbert’s recipe
open the image
Tools->Monticello Browser -> select the local path at the top of the list-> Open

Cancel does you no good.

As an aside for later consideration, we’ve really lost something somewhere with regard to debugging. Just where can one go from an open dialogue like that to trace back to the cause of the problem? You can’t hit the break key-combo because that just gets you to the event loop. Exploring the morph(s) of the dialogue seems to go nowhere that I can find.

tim
this blank intentionally left spaced

tty

Re: [ANN] Squeak 4.5 Release Candidate 1

tty
If you decide to put up a "Known Issues" workspace, then the WriteStream>>NextChunkPut: method needs a self flush at the end to enable class comments to be saved on certain linux.

The issue is a glibc issue as described here:  https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=956376

Thanks for your hard work.

tty.

On 28.01.2014, at 00:12, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:

As an aside for later consideration, we’ve really lost something somewhere with regard to debugging. Just where can one go from an open dialogue like that to trace back to the cause of the problem? You can’t hit the break key-combo because that just gets you to the event loop. Exploring the morph(s) of the dialogue seems to go nowhere that I can find.

Cmd-dot worked for me. And as suspected, it's the effing MC proxy stuff, yet again.

I'm sorry Chris, I am not ever going to like it. And I will vote for shipping 4.5 with *full* ancestry information. And *not* turning on the proxyfication. You can do that in your own image, but please do not force it onto the rest of us. The release must be self-contained, and not having to call back to the mothership whenever it feels like it.

Full stack below.

- Bert -

[] in DelayWaitTimeout>>wait
BlockClosure>>ensure:
DelayWaitTimeout>>wait
Semaphore>>waitTimeoutMSecs:
Socket>>waitForDataFor:ifClosed:ifTimedOut:
SocketStream>>waitForData
SocketStream>>receiveData
SocketStream>>upToAll:limit:
SocketStream>>upToAll:
HTTPSocket class>>httpRequest:url:headers:content:response:
HTTPSocket class>>httpGetDocument:args:accept:request:
HTTPSocket class>>httpGet:args:accept:request:
HTTPSocket class>>httpGet:args:user:passwd:
[] in MCHttpRepository>>readStreamForFileNamed:do:
BlockClosure>>on:do:
[] in MCHttpRepository>>displayProgress:during:
[] in [] in MorphicUIManager>>displayProgress:at:from:to:during:
BlockClosure>>on:do:
[] in MorphicUIManager>>displayProgress:at:from:to:during:
BlockClosure>>ensure:
MorphicUIManager>>displayProgress:at:from:to:during:
ProgressInitiationException>>defaultResumeValue
ProgressInitiationException(Exception)>>resume
ProgressInitiationException>>defaultAction
UndefinedObject>>handleSignal:
MethodContext(ContextPart)>>handleSignal:
MethodContext(ContextPart)>>handleSignal:
MethodContext(ContextPart)>>handleSignal:
ProgressInitiationException(Exception)>>signal
ProgressInitiationException>>display:at:from:to:during:
ProgressInitiationException class>>display:at:from:to:during:
ByteString(String)>>displayProgressAt:from:to:during:
ByteString(String)>>displayProgressFrom:to:during:
MCHttpRepository>>displayProgress:during:
MCHttpRepository>>readStreamForFileNamed:do:
MCHttpRepository(MCFileBasedRepository)>>versionReaderForFileNamed:do:
[] in MCHttpRepository>>versionReaderForFileNamed:
Dictionary>>at:ifAbsent:
MCHttpRepository>>versionReaderForFileNamed:
MCHttpRepository>>versionReaderForFileNamed:do:
MCHttpRepository(MCFileBasedRepository)>>loadVersionFromFileNamed:
[] in [] in MCHttpRepository(MCFileBasedRepository)>>versionNamed:
BlockClosure>>on:do:
[] in MCHttpRepository(MCFileBasedRepository)>>versionNamed:
Dictionary>>at:ifAbsent:
MCHttpRepository(MCFileBasedRepository)>>versionNamed:
[] in MCHttpRepository(MCFileBasedRepository)>>versionWithInfo:ifAbsent:
Array(SequenceableCollection)>>do:
MCHttpRepository(MCFileBasedRepository)>>versionWithInfo:ifAbsent:
MCHttpRepository(MCRepository)>>versionWithInfo:
[] in MCRepositoryGroup>>versionWithInfo:ifNone:
[] in [] in MCRepositoryGroup>>repositoriesDo:
BlockClosure>>on:do:
[] in MCRepositoryGroup>>repositoriesDo:
Array(SequenceableCollection)>>do:
MCRepositoryGroup>>repositoriesDo:
MCRepositoryGroup>>versionWithInfo:ifNone:
MCRepositoryGroup>>versionWithInfo:
[] in MCInfoProxy>>materializeInfo
[] in MCWorkingAncestry(MCAncestry)>>breadthFirstAncestorsDo:
Array(SequenceableCollection)>>do:
MCWorkingAncestry(MCAncestry)>>breadthFirstAncestorsDo:
MCInfoProxy>>materializeInfo
MCProxyMaterialization>>defaultAction
UndefinedObject>>handleSignal:
MethodContext(ContextPart)>>handleSignal:
MCProxyMaterialization(Exception)>>signal
MCProxyMaterialization class>>signalMaterializing:
MCInfoProxy>>becomeAncestry
MCInfoProxy>>doesNotUnderstand: #hash
Set>>scanFor:
Set>>includes:
[] in [] in MCFileRepositoryInspector(MCRepositoryInspector)>>identifyLoadedAndInherited:
[] in MCVersionInfo(MCAncestry)>>ancestorsDoWhileTrue:
[...]
[] in MCFileRepositoryInspector(MCRepositoryInspector)>>refreshEmphasis
Array(SequenceableCollection)>>do:
MCFileRepositoryInspector(MCRepositoryInspector)>>refreshEmphasis
[] in MCFileRepositoryInspector(MCRepositoryInspector)>>initializeVersionNames
MCCacheRepository(MCFileBasedRepository)>>cacheAllFileNamesDuring:
MCFileRepositoryInspector(MCRepositoryInspector)>>initializeVersionNames
[] in MCFileRepositoryInspector>>initializeVersionNames
MCCacheRepository(MCFileBasedRepository)>>cacheAllFileNamesDuring:
MCFileRepositoryInspector>>initializeVersionNames
MCFileRepositoryInspector(MCRepositoryInspector)>>versionNames
[] in MCFileRepositoryInspector(MCRepositoryInspector)>>packageList
BlockClosure>>ensure:
MCCacheRepository(MCFileBasedRepository)>>cacheAllFileNamesDuring:
MCFileRepositoryInspector(MCRepositoryInspector)>>packageList
MCFileRepositoryInspector(MCRepositoryInspector)>>packageSelection:
MCFileRepositoryInspector(MCRepositoryInspector)>>setRepository:workingCopy:
MCFileRepositoryInspector class(MCRepositoryInspector class)>>repository:workingCopy:
MCCacheRepository(MCFileBasedRepository)>>morphicOpen:
MCWorkingCopyBrowser>>openRepository
PluggableButtonMorphPlus(PluggableButtonMorph)>>performAction
PluggableButtonMorphPlus>>performAction
[] in PluggableButtonMorphPlus(PluggableButtonMorph)>>mouseUp:
Array(SequenceableCollection)>>do:
PluggableButtonMorphPlus(PluggableButtonMorph)>>mouseUp:
PluggableButtonMorphPlus>>mouseUp:
PluggableButtonMorphPlus(Morph)>>handleMouseUp:
MouseButtonEvent>>sentTo:
PluggableButtonMorphPlus(Morph)>>handleEvent:
PluggableButtonMorphPlus(Morph)>>handleFocusEvent:
[] in HandMorph>>sendFocusEvent:to:clear:
BlockClosure>>on:do:
PasteUpMorph>>becomeActiveDuring:
HandMorph>>sendFocusEvent:to:clear:
HandMorph>>sendEvent:focus:clear:
HandMorph>>sendMouseEvent:
HandMorph>>handleEvent:
HandMorph>>processEvents
[] in WorldState>>doOneCycleNowFor:
Array(SequenceableCollection)>>do:
WorldState>>handsDo:
WorldState>>doOneCycleNowFor:
WorldState>>doOneCycleFor:
PasteUpMorph>>doOneCycle
[] in MorphicProject>>spawnNewProcess
[] in BlockClosure>>newProcess

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: [ANN] Squeak 4.5 Release Candidate 1

Raymond Asselin-3
+1 for thaïs

Envoyé du iPhone de Raymond

> Le 2014-01-27 à 17:19, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> Hi John-Reed,
>
>> On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 3:23 PM, JohnReed Maffeo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> 1. There is an interesting (and to me, unnerving) new feature in Squeak Squeak4.5-13663.
>>
>> Automatic pane resizing in System Browser.
>>
>> When I mouse around in a newly opened window, the panes resize their height and width in seemingly random ways.
>
> It's not random at all.  The philosophy of the horizontal-splitter
> algorithm is to 1) only expose additional information but, 2) don't
> truncate any information to accomplish that, e.g., only encroach on
> whitespace.
>
> For vertical bars; the bars between lists will automatically
> reposition themselves to encroach on whitespace in one pane to expose
> more information in adjacent panes.  It will balance the number of
> characters occluded on either side of the bar, if necessary.
>
> For either, if a particular splitter is manually positioned, it will
> remain still at the dragged location.  To reactivate
> automatic-positioning, yellow-click it.
>
>> I find no value in the resizing that is done.
>
> A lot of thoughtful consideration, design, and implementation work
> went into it.  It's a major productivity boost.  It alleviates 90% of
> manual sizing otherwise required by the user in a typical day.
>
> Everyone should give this chance for at least one full day's work
> before judging it.  I struggled with the animation distraction for a
> day or two, but now when I open a window, I simply let them do their
> work while I put the window where I want.  I'm 90% liberated from
> manual twiddling, positioning and scrolling.  I've noticed even the
> _need_ to resize windows is reduced too.
>
>> 2. Comment:  From an experienced user perspective, I appreciate the clean look when I first open Squeak.
>>> From a new user perspective, I appreciate the introductory screens.
>
> I want to deliver a clean-look this time.  If a new user is presented
> with nothing but a clean desktop, they have no choice but to
> "explore".  I don't to want to fool new users into getting comfortable
> by thinking those workspaces have everything they need to do useful
> things with Squeak.  I want them in the "drivers seat" from the get
> go.
>
>> 3. Presenter(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #associatedMorph
>>     a. Open Squeak
>>     b. Open a new morphic project
>>     c. Return to previous project
>>     d. Select red X, close this window.