[ANN] Squeak 5.1 released; www.squeak.org; Trunk open again

marcel.taeumel
We are happy to announce the release of Squeak 5.1!

Visit the Website [1], read the release notes in the image or outside [2], and try it out for yourself [3][4]!

Thank you all for the contributions! :-)

Happy birthday Squeak! It has been (almost) 20 years!!! [5]

Best,
Marcel

[1] http://www.squeak.org/
[2] https://github.com/squeak-smalltalk/squeak-app/blob/master/release-notes/5.1
[3] http://files.squeak.org/5.1/
[4] http://try.squeak.org/ (to be updated soonish)
[5] http://files.squeak.org/docs/OOPSLA.Squeak.html

Re: [Vm-dev] [ANN] Squeak 5.1 released; www.squeak.org; Trunk open again

Chris Muller-3
Someone please get this man a beer!

On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 9:30 AM, Marcel Taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We are happy to announce the release of Squeak 5.1!
>
> Visit the Website [1], read the release notes in the image or outside [2], and try it out for yourself [3][4]!
>
> Thank you all for the contributions! :-)
>
> Happy birthday Squeak! It has been (almost) 20 years!!! [5]
>
> Best,
> Marcel
>
> [1] http://www.squeak.org/
> [2] https://github.com/squeak-smalltalk/squeak-app/blob/master/release-notes/5.1
> [3] http://files.squeak.org/5.1/
> [4] http://try.squeak.org/ (to be updated soonish)
> [5] http://files.squeak.org/docs/OOPSLA.Squeak.html

Re: [Vm-dev] [ANN] Squeak 5.1 released; www.squeak.org; Trunk open again

Joseph Alotta

On Aug 23, 2016, at 12:48 PM, Chris Muller-3 [via Smalltalk] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Someone please get this man a beer!

On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 9:30 AM, Marcel Taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We are happy to announce the release of Squeak 5.1!

> Visit the Website [1], read the release notes in the image or outside [2], and try it out for yourself [3][4]!

> Thank you all for the contributions! :-)

> Happy birthday Squeak! It has been (almost) 20 years!!! [5]

> Best,
> Marcel

> [1] http://www.squeak.org/
> [2] https://github.com/squeak-smalltalk/squeak-app/blob/master/release-notes/5.1
> [3] http://files.squeak.org/5.1/
> [4] http://try.squeak.org/ (to be updated soonish)
> [5] http://files.squeak.org/docs/OOPSLA.Squeak.html

http://forum.world.st/ANN-Squeak-5-1-released-www-squeak-org-Trunk-open-again-tp4912329p4912361.html
To start a new topic under Squeak - Beginners, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Squeak - Beginners, click here.
NAML

Re: [Vm-dev] [ANN] Squeak 5.1 released; www.squeak.org; Trunk open again

marcel.taeumel
Joseph Alotta wrote
> On Aug 23, 2016, at 12:48 PM, Chris Muller-3 [via Smalltalk] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Someone please get this man a beer!
>
> On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 9:30 AM, Marcel Taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> > We are happy to announce the release of Squeak 5.1!
> >
> > Visit the Website [1], read the release notes in the image or outside [2], and try it out for yourself [3][4]!
> >
> > Thank you all for the contributions! :-)
> >
> > Happy birthday Squeak! It has been (almost) 20 years!!! [5]
> >
> > Best,
> > Marcel
> >
> > [1] http://www.squeak.org/
> > [2] https://github.com/squeak-smalltalk/squeak-app/blob/master/release-notes/5.1
> > [3] http://files.squeak.org/5.1/
> > [4] http://try.squeak.org/ (to be updated soonish)
> > [5] http://files.squeak.org/docs/OOPSLA.Squeak.html

> http://forum.world.st/ANN-Squeak-5-1-released-www-squeak-org-Trunk-open-again-tp4912329p4912361.html
> To start a new topic under Squeak - Beginners, email [hidden email]
> To unsubscribe from Squeak - Beginners, click here.
> NAML

Screen Shot 2016-08-23 at 2.39.14 PM.png (474K) <http://forum.world.st/attachment/4912376/0/Screen%20Shot%202016-08-23%20at%202.39.14%20PM.png>
Hehe, thanks! :)

re: Squeak 5.1 released; www.squeak.org; Trunk open again

Craig Latta

> Someone please get this man a beer!

     We did! :)

-C

--
Craig Latta
Black Page Digital

Re: [ANN] Squeak 5.1 released; www.squeak.org; Trunk open again

Joseph Alotta
Did you notice the beer?  I gave you two hearts  :-)

PS.  It is the same beer Dr. Who drinks!

Re: [ANN] Squeak 5.1 released; www.squeak.org; Trunk open again

Hannes Hirzel
On 8/24/16, Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks a lot! Seeing Kedama,

Hello Offray

The object tool offers a 'Kedama World' in the category 'Kedama'.

But no other tools / menus to start building simulations.

It seems that the more code needs to be loaded ....

Do you have any hints how to get started?

--Hannes

 where I did my master thesis simulation,

> working on the release announcement yesterday at ESUG 2016 bring me
> happy memories and a sense of continuity and change at the same time.
>
> Congrats,
>
> Offray
>

> On 23/08/16 16:30, Marcel Taeumel wrote:
>> *We are happy to announce the release of Squeak 5.1!*
>>
>> Visit the Website [1], read the release notes in the image or outside
>> [2], and try it out for yourself [3][4]!
>>
>> Thank you all for the contributions! :-)
>>
>> Happy birthday Squeak! It has been (almost) 20 years!!! [5]
>>
>> Best,
>> Marcel
>>
>> [1] http://www.squeak.org/
>> [2]
>> https://github.com/squeak-smalltalk/squeak-app/blob/master/release-notes/5.1
>> [3] http://files.squeak.org/5.1/
>> [4] http://try.squeak.org/ (to be updated soonish)
>> [5] http://files.squeak.org/docs/OOPSLA.Squeak.html

Re: [ANN] Squeak 5.1 released; www.squeak.org; Trunk open again

Offray
In fact I don't. I do only Pharo these days, but is nice to see the
community diverse and healthy.

Cheers,

Offray

On 24/08/16 19:19, H. Hirzel wrote:

> On 8/24/16, Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Thanks a lot! Seeing Kedama,
> Hello Offray
>
> The object tool offers a 'Kedama World' in the category 'Kedama'.
>
> But no other tools / menus to start building simulations.
>
> It seems that the more code needs to be loaded ....
>
> Do you have any hints how to get started?
>
> --Hannes
>

>   where I did my master thesis simulation,
>> working on the release announcement yesterday at ESUG 2016 bring me
>> happy memories and a sense of continuity and change at the same time.
>>
>> Congrats,
>>
>> Offray
>>

>> On 23/08/16 16:30, Marcel Taeumel wrote:
>>> *We are happy to announce the release of Squeak 5.1!*
>>>
>>> Visit the Website [1], read the release notes in the image or outside
>>> [2], and try it out for yourself [3][4]!
>>>
>>> Thank you all for the contributions! :-)
>>>
>>> Happy birthday Squeak! It has been (almost) 20 years!!! [5]
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Marcel
>>>
>>> [1] http://www.squeak.org/
>>> [2]
>>> https://github.com/squeak-smalltalk/squeak-app/blob/master/release-notes/5.1
>>> [3] http://files.squeak.org/5.1/
>>> [4] http://try.squeak.org/ (to be updated soonish)
>>> [5] http://files.squeak.org/docs/OOPSLA.Squeak.html

Re: [ANN] Squeak 5.1 released; www.squeak.org; Trunk open again

Bert Freudenberg
On Wed, Aug 24, 2016 at 7:19 PM, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 8/24/16, Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks a lot! Seeing Kedama,

Hello Offray

The object tool offers a 'Kedama World' in the category 'Kedama'.

But no other tools / menus to start building simulations.

It seems that the more code needs to be loaded ....

Do you have any hints how to get started?

It doesn't work right in 5.1 yet. But Tim Felgentreff just (at ESUG in Prague) demonstrated a 5.1-based Etoys image that has pretty much all the Etoys code of the Squeakland image, and Kedama works in there. Running on the Spur VM it's even fast enough without the Kedama plugin (which was needed in the interpreter VM).

We intend to release this later this year, but for now I'd recommend the Squeakland version to play with Kedama.

- Bert -