[ANN] Squeak 5.2 RC1 now available

fniephaus
Hi all,

As pre-announced at [1], here is the first release candidate of Squeak 5.2:

Please try them out and report any problems here on the mailing list.
The Squeak 5.2 final release is planned for next Saturday (13th Oct 2018).

Best,
Fabio

Re: [ANN] Squeak 5.2 RC1 now available

Hannes Hirzel
Hello Fabio

Thank you for putting out a new Squeak 5.2 release.

However it seems to me like a rushing exercise to release next Saturday.

See upcoming mail

Regards
Hannes

On 10/8/18, Fabio Niephaus <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> As pre-announced at [1], here is the first release candidate of Squeak 5.2:
> http://files.squeak.org/5.2rc1/Squeak5.2rc1-18202-32bit/
> http://files.squeak.org/5.2rc1/Squeak5.2rc1-18202-64bit/
>
> Please try them out and report any problems here on the mailing list.
> The Squeak 5.2 final release is planned for next Saturday (13th Oct 2018).
>
> Best,
> Fabio
>
> [1] http://forum.world.st/Squeak-5-2-release-on-13th-Oct-td5086533.html

Re: [ANN] Squeak 5.2 RC1 now available

Levente Uzonyi
On Mon, 8 Oct 2018, Fabio Niephaus wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> As pre-announced at [1], here is the first release candidate of Squeak 5.2:
> http://files.squeak.org/5.2rc1/Squeak5.2rc1-18202-32bit/
> http://files.squeak.org/5.2rc1/Squeak5.2rc1-18202-64bit/
>
> Please try them out and report any problems here on the mailing list.

There's a package named 60Deprecated, but no 52Deprecated.

Levente

bpi

Re: [ANN] Squeak 5.2 RC1 now available

bpi
I always felt it would be better to name these packages 51Compatibility instead of 60Deprecated. First, there is no need to rename it when the version for the next release is decided. Second, if the current version you have is say 5.2 and you want to run software made for 5.0 its a little more obvious that I need to load 51Compatibility and 50Compatibility packages and everything should just work.

Bernhard

> Am 10.10.2018 um 01:01 schrieb Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]>:
>
> On Mon, 8 Oct 2018, Fabio Niephaus wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>> As pre-announced at [1], here is the first release candidate of Squeak 5.2:
>> http://files.squeak.org/5.2rc1/Squeak5.2rc1-18202-32bit/
>> http://files.squeak.org/5.2rc1/Squeak5.2rc1-18202-64bit/
>> Please try them out and report any problems here on the mailing list.
>
> There's a package named 60Deprecated, but no 52Deprecated.
>
> Levente
>
>> The Squeak 5.2 final release is planned for next Saturday (13th Oct 2018).
>> Best,
>> Fabio
>> [1] http://forum.world.st/Squeak-5-2-release-on-13th-Oct-td5086533.html

bpi

Re: [ANN] Squeak 5.2 RC1 now available - SUnit results

bpi
Hi Fabio,

Thanks to everyone working on the release! I really appreciate you continue to improve Squeak.

I downloaded the Squeak5.2rc1-18202-64bit-201810071412-macOS.dmg. I am on macOS Sierra 10.12.6.

I ran all the tests with 4513 run, 4452 passes, 35 expected failures, 23 failures, 3 errors, 0 unexpected passes.

The three errors are in SqueakSSLTest. One of them, testSSLSockets even opened a debugger. So I am not sure if all tests ran. Also I don't understand why a debugger opens. Normally they don't when running tests, only when clicking on an error.

Is there an easy way to copy the test results?

I would find it great if the release had green tests. Maybe some of the failures and errors are to be expected?

Regards
Bernhard

bpi

Re: [ANN] Squeak 5.2 RC1 now available

bpi
Hi Fabio,

Thanks to everyone working on the release! I really appreciate that you continue to improve Squeak.

I downloaded the Squeak5.2rc1-18202-64bit-201810071412-macOS.dmg. I am on macOS Sierra 10.12.6.

I ran all the tests with 4513 run, 4452 passes, 35 expected failures, 23 failures, 3 errors, 0 unexpected passes.

The three errors are in SqueakSSLTest. One of them, testSSLSockets even opened a debugger. So I am not sure if all tests ran. Also I don't understand why a debugger opens. Normally they don't when running tests, only when clicking on an error.

Is there an easy way to copy the test results?

I think it would be great if the release came with green tests. Maybe some of the failures and errors are to be expected?

Regards
Bernhard

> Am 08.10.2018 um 16:09 schrieb Fabio Niephaus <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hi all,
>
> As pre-announced at [1], here is the first release candidate of Squeak 5.2:
> http://files.squeak.org/5.2rc1/Squeak5.2rc1-18202-32bit/
> http://files.squeak.org/5.2rc1/Squeak5.2rc1-18202-64bit/
>
> Please try them out and report any problems here on the mailing list.
> The Squeak 5.2 final release is planned for next Saturday (13th Oct 2018).
>
> Best,
> Fabio
>
> [1] http://forum.world.st/Squeak-5-2-release-on-13th-Oct-td5086533.html

Re: [ANN] Squeak 5.2 RC1 now available - SUnit results

patrick.rein
Hi everyone,

I looked into the test failures and fixed some of them and marked others as expected failures. I have attached the resulting changes as change sets as I am not yet sure whether we want to add them to trunk at this stage.

If someone could look into the changes and deems them save for late stage addition I am happy to merge them.

Bests
Patrick

>Hi Fabio,
>
>Thanks to everyone working on the release! I really appreciate you continue to improve Squeak.
>
>I downloaded the Squeak5.2rc1-18202-64bit-201810071412-macOS.dmg. I am on macOS Sierra 10.12.6.
>
>I ran all the tests with 4513 run, 4452 passes, 35 expected failures, 23 failures, 3 errors, 0 unexpected passes.
>
>The three errors are in SqueakSSLTest. One of them, testSSLSockets even opened a debugger. So I am not sure if all tests ran. Also I don't understand why a debugger opens. Normally they don't when running tests, only when clicking on an error.
>
>Is there an easy way to copy the test results?
>
>I would find it great if the release had green tests. Maybe some of the failures and errors are to be expected?
>
>Regards
>Bernhard
>
>> Am 08.10.2018 um 18:30 schrieb H. Hirzel <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> Hello Fabio
>>
>> Thank you for putting out a new Squeak 5.2 release.
>>
>> However it seems to me like a rushing exercise to release next Saturday.
>>
>> See upcoming mail
>>
>> Regards
>> Hannes
>>
>> On 10/8/18, Fabio Niephaus <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> As pre-announced at [1], here is the first release candidate of Squeak 5.2:
>>> http://files.squeak.org/5.2rc1/Squeak5.2rc1-18202-32bit/
>>> http://files.squeak.org/5.2rc1/Squeak5.2rc1-18202-64bit/
>>>
>>> Please try them out and report any problems here on the mailing list.
>>> The Squeak 5.2 final release is planned for next Saturday (13th Oct 2018).
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Fabio
>>>
>>> [1] http://forum.world.st/Squeak-5-2-release-on-13th-Oct-td5086533.html

["PackageDependencyChanges.1.cs"]
["UTF8EdgeCaseTests.1.cs"]
["UIThemesTest.1.cs"]

PackageDependencyChanges.1.cs (6K) Download Attachment
UTF8EdgeCaseTests.1.cs (1K) Download Attachment
UIThemesTest.1.cs (590 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: [ANN] Squeak 5.2 RC1 now available - SUnit results

patrick.rein
Just found an issue with one of the change sets myself. I updated one of the change sets but attached all three again in this mail.

Bests
Patrick

>Hi everyone,
>
>I looked into the test failures and fixed some of them and marked others as expected failures. I have attached the resulting changes as change sets as I am not yet sure whether we want to add them to trunk at this stage.
>
>If someone could look into the changes and deems them save for late stage addition I am happy to merge them.
>
>Bests
>Patrick
>
>>Hi Fabio,
>>
>>Thanks to everyone working on the release! I really appreciate you continue to improve Squeak.
>>
>>I downloaded the Squeak5.2rc1-18202-64bit-201810071412-macOS.dmg. I am on macOS Sierra 10.12.6.
>>
>>I ran all the tests with 4513 run, 4452 passes, 35 expected failures, 23 failures, 3 errors, 0 unexpected passes.
>>
>>The three errors are in SqueakSSLTest. One of them, testSSLSockets even opened a debugger. So I am not sure if all tests ran. Also I don't understand why a debugger opens. Normally they don't when running tests, only when clicking on an error.
>>
>>Is there an easy way to copy the test results?
>>
>>I would find it great if the release had green tests. Maybe some of the failures and errors are to be expected?
>>
>>Regards
>>Bernhard
>>
>>> Am 08.10.2018 um 18:30 schrieb H. Hirzel <[hidden email]>:
>>>
>>> Hello Fabio
>>>
>>> Thank you for putting out a new Squeak 5.2 release.
>>>
>>> However it seems to me like a rushing exercise to release next Saturday.
>>>
>>> See upcoming mail
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Hannes

>["PackageDependencyChanges.1.cs"]
>["UTF8EdgeCaseTests.1.cs"]
>["UIThemesTest.1.cs"]
>

>[PackageDependencyChanges.1.cs]
>[UTF8EdgeCaseTests.1.cs]
>[UIThemesTest.1.cs]
["PackageDependencyChanges.3.cs"]
["UTF8EdgeCaseTests.1.cs"]
["UIThemesTest.1.cs"]

PackageDependencyChanges.3.cs (6K) Download Attachment
UTF8EdgeCaseTests.1.cs (1K) Download Attachment
UIThemesTest.1.cs (590 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: [ANN] Squeak 5.2 RC1 now available

Stéphane Rollandin
Hello,

I found a little bug, which notably makes system windows not able to
have both rounded corners and a gradient look.

It is in method Canvas>>#frameAndFillRoundRect:radius:fillStyle:borderStyle:

The #asColor call there should be removed: we need to give the full fill
style.

Fix is attached.

Stef

Canvas-frameAndFillRoundRectradiusfillStyleborderStyle.st (586 bytes) Download Attachment
bpi

Re: [ANN] Squeak 5.2 RC1 now available - SUnit results

bpi
Hi Patrick,

Thanks for taking time to look at the failing tests. After updating the release candidate and installing your change sets now I have:
4513 run, 4459 passes, 43 expected failures, 8 failures, 3 errors, 0 unexpected passes

That is only 11 issues from green.

The three errors are SqueakSSLTest #testSSLSockets #testSocketAccept and testSocketConnect. Can other Mac testers confirm they see them, too?

Cheers,
Bernhard

> Am 12.10.2018 um 14:43 schrieb <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]>:
>
> Just found an issue with one of the change sets myself. I updated one of the change sets but attached all three again in this mail.
>
> Bests
> Patrick
>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I looked into the test failures and fixed some of them and marked others as expected failures. I have attached the resulting changes as change sets as I am not yet sure whether we want to add them to trunk at this stage.
>>
>> If someone could look into the changes and deems them save for late stage addition I am happy to merge them.
>>
>> Bests
>> Patrick
>>
>>> Hi Fabio,
>>>
>>> Thanks to everyone working on the release! I really appreciate you continue to improve Squeak.
>>>
>>> I downloaded the Squeak5.2rc1-18202-64bit-201810071412-macOS.dmg. I am on macOS Sierra 10.12.6.
>>>
>>> I ran all the tests with 4513 run, 4452 passes, 35 expected failures, 23 failures, 3 errors, 0 unexpected passes.
>>>
>>> The three errors are in SqueakSSLTest. One of them, testSSLSockets even opened a debugger. So I am not sure if all tests ran. Also I don't understand why a debugger opens. Normally they don't when running tests, only when clicking on an error.
>>>
>>> Is there an easy way to copy the test results?
>>>
>>> I would find it great if the release had green tests. Maybe some of the failures and errors are to be expected?
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Bernhard

>> ["PackageDependencyChanges.1.cs"]
>> ["UTF8EdgeCaseTests.1.cs"]
>> ["UIThemesTest.1.cs"]
>>

>> [PackageDependencyChanges.1.cs]
>> [UTF8EdgeCaseTests.1.cs]
>> [UIThemesTest.1.cs]
> ["PackageDependencyChanges.3.cs"]
> ["UTF8EdgeCaseTests.1.cs"]
> ["UIThemesTest.1.cs"]<PackageDependencyChanges.3.cs><UTF8EdgeCaseTests.1.cs><UIThemesTest.1.cs>

bpi

Re: [ANN] Squeak 5.2 RC1 now available - SqueakSSLTest errors

bpi
The same three errors happen in the 32bit version of the 5.2 RC1 as well. And they happen also in a fresh download of 5.1 32bit. Does anybody know a bit more about those failing tests? Could they be put into the expected failures?

Cheers,
Bernhard