[ANN] Squeak 5.2 released

fniephaus
Hi all,

I'm happy to announce that we released Squeak 5.2 yesterday during the annual meeting of the German Squeak Association.

All 64-bit and 32-bit bundles are available at: http://files.squeak.org/5.2/
The website has also been updated accordingly.

The current trunk will be bumped to 5.3alpha soon.

Best,
Patrick, Marcel, and Fabio

IMG_3189.jpg

Re: [ANN] Squeak 5.2 released

fniephaus
On Sun, Oct 14, 2018 at 9:45 AM Fabio Niephaus <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

I'm happy to announce that we released Squeak 5.2 yesterday during the annual meeting of the German Squeak Association.

*we are, of course...anyway, trunk builds are now available at http://files.squeak.org/5.3alpha/

Fabio

All 64-bit and 32-bit bundles are available at: http://files.squeak.org/5.2/
The website has also been updated accordingly.

The current trunk will be bumped to 5.3alpha soon.

Best,
Patrick, Marcel, and Fabio

IMG_3189.jpg

Re: [ANN] Squeak 5.2 released

Edgar De Cleene
Re: [squeak-dev] [ANN] Squeak 5.2 released I also wish to thanks to all people trying to made Squeak better.
Apologize any sickness by me avoiding do more.

Edgar
@morplenauta

On 14/10/2018, 07:24, "karl ramberg" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Very cool. Thank you for all the work

Cheers,
Karl

On Sun, Oct 14, 2018 at 11:05 AM Fabio Niephaus <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sun, Oct 14, 2018 at 9:45 AM Fabio Niephaus <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

I'm happy to announce that we released Squeak 5.2 yesterday during the annual meeting of the German Squeak Association.

*we are, of course...anyway, trunk builds are now available at http://files.squeak.org/5.3alpha/

Fabio

All 64-bit and 32-bit bundles are available at: http://files.squeak.org/5.2/
The website has also been updated accordingly.

The current trunk will be bumped to 5.3alpha soon.

Best,
Patrick, Marcel, and Fabio

Re: [ANN] Squeak 5.2 released

Robert Hirschfeld
Great! :)

*** Thank you all! ***

Best,
Robert

> On 14. Oct 2018, at 13:33, Edgar J. De Cleene <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I also wish to thanks to all people trying to made Squeak better.
> Apologize any sickness by me avoiding do more.
>

> Edgar
> @morplenauta
>

> On 14/10/2018, 07:24, "karl ramberg" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Very cool. Thank you for all the work
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Karl

>>> *we are, of course...anyway, trunk builds are now available at http://files.squeak.org/5.3alpha/
>>>
>>> Fabio

Re: [ANN] Squeak 5.2 released

David T. Lewis
Edgar,

Thanks for all you did to move this release forward. I hope that you are well.

Dave

On Sun, Oct 14, 2018 at 08:33:20AM -0300, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

> I also wish to thanks to all people trying to made Squeak better.
> Apologize any sickness by me avoiding do more.
>

> Edgar
> @morplenauta
>

> On 14/10/2018, 07:24, "karl ramberg" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Very cool. Thank you for all the work
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Karl

> >> *we are, of course...anyway, trunk builds are now available at
> >> http://files.squeak.org/5.3alpha/
> >>
> >> Fabio
> >> ?

Re: [ANN] Squeak 5.2 released

Chris Muller-3
Woo hoo!!  5.2 is awesome, a joy to develop in, and backed by a
brilliant community!

Cheers, and well done!

On Sun, Oct 14, 2018 at 10:41 AM David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Edgar,
>
> Thanks for all you did to move this release forward. I hope that you are well.
>
> Dave
>
> On Sun, Oct 14, 2018 at 08:33:20AM -0300, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:
> > I also wish to thanks to all people trying to made Squeak better.
> > Apologize any sickness by me avoiding do more.
> >

> > Edgar
> > @morplenauta
> >

> > On 14/10/2018, 07:24, "karl ramberg" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Very cool. Thank you for all the work
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > > Karl

Re: [ANN] Squeak 5.2 released

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi Fabio, Hi Patrick, Hi All,

On Sun, Oct 14, 2018 at 12:45 AM Fabio Niephaus <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

I'm happy to announce that we released Squeak 5.2 yesterday during the annual meeting of the German Squeak Association.

fabulous!  Thanks very very much.  This is great news.

All 64-bit and 32-bit bundles are available at: http://files.squeak.org/5.2/
The website has also been updated accordingly.

The current trunk will be bumped to 5.3alpha soon.

Best,
Patrick, Marcel, and Fabio

IMG_3189.jpg

_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

Re: [ANN] Squeak 5.2 released

Mathieu van Echtelt-3
This weekend I was at this "Squeak Treffen". Very nice to see other people's projects where they use Smalltalk/Squeak.

I want to especially thank Patrick, Marcel, and Fabio, for organizing this conference and for getting this Squeak release out.
During the conference, they were almost constantly working in the background to get this done, even during the Dinner afterward.

greetings,
Mathieu

--
AG5
Timorplein 37

T  020  4630942
F  020  4630946

Re: [ANN] Squeak 5.2 released

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi Fabio,

    exploring the "Welcome to Squeak" HelpBrowser it appears the Release Notes are missing.

On Sun, Oct 14, 2018 at 12:45 AM Fabio Niephaus <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

I'm happy to announce that we released Squeak 5.2 yesterday during the annual meeting of the German Squeak Association.

All 64-bit and 32-bit bundles are available at: http://files.squeak.org/5.2/
The website has also been updated accordingly.

The current trunk will be bumped to 5.3alpha soon.

Best,
Patrick, Marcel, and Fabio

IMG_3189.jpg

--
_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

Re: [ANN] Squeak 5.2 released

fniephaus
Hi Eliot,

On Mon, Oct 15, 2018 at 7:30 PM Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Fabio,

    exploring the "Welcome to Squeak" HelpBrowser it appears the Release Notes are missing.

Which bundle did you download? I'm assuming you are using the raw set of image+changes. In that case, the image cannot find the release notes which are in separate files.

Cheers,
Fabio

On Mon, Oct 15, 2018 at 10:41 AM Fabio Niephaus <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Eliot,

On Mon, Oct 15, 2018 at 7:30 PM Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Fabio,

    exploring the "Welcome to Squeak" HelpBrowser it appears the Release Notes are missing.

Which bundle did you download? I'm assuming you are using the raw set of image+changes. In that case, the image cannot find the release notes which are in separate files.

Ah, ok. Thanks! I copied the image/changers to another name to build a VMMaker image from it.  I think keeping the release notes in a separate file isn't a particularly good idea (because of luser errors like mine ;-) ).

Cheers,
Fabio

On Mon, Oct 15, 2018 at 8:09 PM Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Mon, Oct 15, 2018 at 10:41 AM Fabio Niephaus <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Eliot,

On Mon, Oct 15, 2018 at 7:30 PM Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Fabio,

    exploring the "Welcome to Squeak" HelpBrowser it appears the Release Notes are missing.

Which bundle did you download? I'm assuming you are using the raw set of image+changes. In that case, the image cannot find the release notes which are in separate files.

Ah, ok. Thanks! I copied the image/changers to another name to build a VMMaker image from it.  I think keeping the release notes in a separate file isn't a particularly good idea (because of luser errors like mine ;-) ).

I agree, it makes more sense to maintain them in an in-image package. I didn't make that design decision, but please discuss this on the mailing list.

Fabio

Cheers,
Fabio

On Sun, Oct 14, 2018 at 12:45 AM Fabio Niephaus <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

I'm happy to announce that we released Squeak 5.2 yesterday during the annual meeting of the German Squeak Association.

All 64-bit and 32-bit bundles are available at: http://files.squeak.org/5.2/
The website has also been updated accordingly.

The current trunk will be bumped to 5.3alpha soon.

Best,
Patrick, Marcel, and Fabio

IMG_3189.jpg

--
_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

--
_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

Re: [ANN] Squeak 5.2 released

Ron Teitelbaum
Well done all!!

All the best,

Ron Teitelbaum

On Sun, Oct 14, 2018 at 3:45 AM Fabio Niephaus <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

I'm happy to announce that we released Squeak 5.2 yesterday during the annual meeting of the German Squeak Association.

All 64-bit and 32-bit bundles are available at: http://files.squeak.org/5.2/
The website has also been updated accordingly.

The current trunk will be bumped to 5.3alpha soon.

Best,
Patrick, Marcel, and Fabio

IMG_3189.jpg

Re: [ANN] Squeak 5.2 released

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Ron Teitelbaum wrote
> Well done all!!

+1. Great news!!

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean

Re: [ANN] Squeak 5.2 released

HilaireFernandes
Congratulations! It really looks and feels nice.

Hilaire

Le 14/10/2018 à 09:45, Fabio Niephaus a écrit :
> I'm happy to announce that we released Squeak 5.2 yesterday during the
> annual meeting of the German Squeak Association.

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: [ANN] Squeak 5.2 released

Tim Johnson-2
On Oct 14, 2018, at 12:45 AM, Fabio Niephaus <[hidden email]> wrote:

I'm happy to announce that we released Squeak 5.2 yesterday during the annual meeting of the German Squeak Association.

All 64-bit and 32-bit bundles are available at: http://files.squeak.org/5.2/
The website has also been updated accordingly.

The current trunk will be bumped to 5.3alpha soon.

Best,
Patrick, Marcel, and Fabio

Hooray!  Congratulations!

Thanks to everyone for making this happen!

Tim

Re: [ANN] Squeak 5.2 released

Nikolay Suslov
That's awesome news!

Just have checked the loading of Croquet For Squeak onto the latest version Squeak5.2-18225-32bit on macOS Mojave.
And it loads successfully.
For those who are interested, the instructions are the same from here (https://blog.krestianstvo.org/en/open-croquet-for-squeak-6/).
1. Do It in Workspace: (Installer fromUrl: 'http://sdk.krestianstvo.org/sdk/croquet/croquet-sn.2.mcm') install
2. Download and place an additional content from https://www.krestianstvo.org/sdk/croquet/Content.zip to the /Contents/Resources folder
3. In Objects will be the category Croquet to experiment with.

In the recent mail thread there is a discussion about making possible the Croquet to run on a 64 bit Squeak VM & Image.  http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2018-October/200388.html

Thanks to everyone for making this great Squeak release!

Best regards,
Nikolai

Croquet-for-Squeak-5.2.jpg