[ANN] Squeak 5.3 RC1

fniephaus
Hi all,

I'm happy to announce that we finally have a first release candidate
for Squeak 5.3!

All bundles are available at:
http://files.squeak.org/5.3rc1/Squeak5.3rc1-19414-64bit/
and
http://files.squeak.org/5.3rc1/Squeak5.3rc1-19414-32bit/

Please give them a try and report any issues here on the mailing list.

Many thanks to all contributors!

Fabio

Re: [ANN] Squeak 5.3 RC1

Christoph Thiede

Great to hear this!

Please give them a try and report any issues here on the mailing list.

Is it necessary that the fresh image has a changeset that includes loads of reorganizations? Furthermore, we have two empty changesets:

Best,
Christoph

Carpe Squeak!

Re: [ANN] Squeak 5.3 RC1

Eliot Miranda-2

> On Feb 25, 2020, at 7:22 AM, Fabio Niephaus <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I'm happy to announce that we finally have a first release candidate
> for Squeak 5.3!

Woot!!  Thanks to so many, to this fabulous community and especially to Marcel.  Fingers crossed any bugs found are old and benign !

> All bundles are available at:
> http://files.squeak.org/5.3rc1/Squeak5.3rc1-19414-64bit/
> and
> http://files.squeak.org/5.3rc1/Squeak5.3rc1-19414-32bit/
>
> Please give them a try and report any issues here on the mailing list.
>
> Many thanks to all contributors!
>
> Fabio

Re: [ANN] Squeak 5.3 RC1

David T. Lewis
On Tue, Feb 25, 2020 at 04:23:58PM +0000, Thiede, Christoph wrote:
> Great to hear this!
>

> > Please give them a try and report any issues here on the mailing list.
>
> Is it necessary that the fresh image has a changeset that includes loads of reorganizations? Furthermore, we have two empty changesets: [cid:cbfface1-11d1-4d18-a23b-b01b162ea453]

Good catch. Here is what I see:

The change set named 'The root project' is associated with the root
MVC project, which is installed to provide an emergency evaluator
environment for error conditions that cannot be handled in Morphic,
but that might be handled in some other UI (MVC). The change set is
empty, which is good. Nothing should be changed here.

Change set 'Unnamed1' is associated with the home project, which is
the Morphic project that is open when you first start the image. It
might be better if the home project change set to be named 'The home
project' rather than 'Unnamed1'. And it would be good if this change
set was empty when the release image is first opened (unless the user
has decided to install Git tools, etc, during the image configuration).

The third change set is called 'Autogenerated-unload' and is empty.
I don't know where this change set came from, but it does not need
to be in the release image.

This should not be a concern for the 5.3 release, but I put
ReleaseBuilder-dtl.206 in the inbox to hopefully clean it up
properly.

Dave

Re: [ANN] Squeak 5.3 RC1

Christoph Thiede

Thanks Dave!

ReleaseBuilder-dtl.206 would be great for 5.3. I am a bit annoyed every time I start a fresh image to make a minimum change and cannot directly fileout the changeset because of the mess. Names are disputable, personally, I would have associated "The root project" with something delivered from the vendor (that is, us the community), but "Unnamed1" makes clear to me that this is my personal changeset and not one of all these auto-generated ones. :-)

Best,

Christoph

On Tue, Feb 25, 2020 at 04:23:58PM +0000, Thiede, Christoph wrote:
> Great to hear this!
>

> > Please give them a try and report any issues here on the mailing list.
>
> Is it necessary that the fresh image has a changeset that includes loads of reorganizations? Furthermore, we have two empty changesets: [cid:cbfface1-11d1-4d18-a23b-b01b162ea453]

Good catch. Here is what I see:

The change set named 'The root project' is associated with the root
MVC project, which is installed to provide an emergency evaluator
environment for error conditions that cannot be handled in Morphic,
but that might be handled in some other UI (MVC). The change set is
empty, which is good. Nothing should be changed here.

Change set 'Unnamed1' is associated with the home project, which is
the Morphic project that is open when you first start the image. It
might be better if the home project change set to be named 'The home
project' rather than 'Unnamed1'. And it would be good if this change
set was empty when the release image is first opened (unless the user
has decided to install Git tools, etc, during the image configuration).

The third change set is called 'Autogenerated-unload' and is empty.
I don't know where this change set came from, but it does not need
to be in the release image.

This should not be a concern for the 5.3 release, but I put
ReleaseBuilder-dtl.206 in the inbox to hopefully clean it up
properly.

Dave

Carpe Squeak!

Re: [ANN] Squeak 5.3 RC1

Christoph Thiede

Hi all,

this is probably not an issue for 5.3, but can we sign the executable files for the next time? To enhance our credibility ... :)

Best,

Christoph

Carpe Squeak!

Re: [ANN] Squeak 5.3 RC1

Stéphane Rollandin
> http://files.squeak.org/5.3rc1/Squeak5.3rc1-19414-64bit/
> Please give them a try and report any issues here on the mailing list.
The Guardians game does not run in the 64bit version - it crashes
immediately.

Guardians:
http://www.zogotounga.net/comp/guardians.htm

Code:
http://www.zogotounga.net/comp/squeak/guardians/Guardians-builder-0.94.sar

(to see the crash, just install the above sar and follow the
instructions for starting the game)

Re: [ANN] Squeak 5.3 RC1

marcel.taeumel
Hi all!

The Guardians game does not run in the 64bit version - it crashes immediately.

That's unfortunate. We should look into it. Maybe this points to a bigger issue in the VM?

this is probably not an issue for 5.3, but can we sign the executable files for the next time?

Already signed for macOS. We did look into signing Windows binaries in the past. Wasn't that easy; too many different things to sign for (code, binary, etc.). Maybe it got better? Squeak e.V. Germany would be happy to help if we need an organization behind such certification.

Attempting to go fullscreen (by clicking button in top right corner of squeak header menu) completely freezes the system on OSX 10.15.1 Catalina

Whoops! Should not happen! We will look into it.

;-) Calm down. Take a deep breath. ;-)   ------  This is obviously not intended and we will fix it. The issue was in ReleaseBuilder class >> #cleanCaches and ClassOrganizer class >> #cleanUp: not being silent regarding the SystemChangeNotifier. I fixed it and will commit the changes as part of RC2 asap. ---- I will move ReleaseBuilder-dtl.206 to "treated".

Furthermore, we have two empty changesets:
The third change set is called 'Autogenerated-unload' and is empty. I don't know where this change set came from, but it does not need to be in the release image.

Fixed. Will be part of RC2. The issue was in ReleaseBuilder class >> #cleanCaches.

It might be better if the home project change set to be named 'The home project' rather than 'Unnamed1'.

Let's try that! Makes the label button in the world main docking bar more readable.

Best,
Marcel

Am 26.02.2020 10:35:34 schrieb Stéphane Rollandin <[hidden email]>:

> http://files.squeak.org/5.3rc1/Squeak5.3rc1-19414-64bit/
> Please give them a try and report any issues here on the mailing list.
The Guardians game does not run in the 64bit version - it crashes
immediately.

Guardians:
http://www.zogotounga.net/comp/guardians.htm

Code:
http://www.zogotounga.net/comp/squeak/guardians/Guardians-builder-0.94.sar

(to see the crash, just install the above sar and follow the
instructions for starting the game)

Re: [ANN] Squeak 5.3 RC1

Christoph Thiede

> > It might be better if the home project change set to be named 'The home project' rather than 'Unnamed1'.
> Let's try that! Makes the label button in the world main docking bar more readable.

On the other hand, if you file out your changeset, the name will contain spaces. Some operating systems don't like such paths (harder to enter in bash/cmd) ...

Best,
Christoph

The Guardians game does not run in the 64bit version - it crashes immediately.

That's unfortunate. We should look into it. Maybe this points to a bigger issue in the VM?

this is probably not an issue for 5.3, but can we sign the executable files for the next time?

Already signed for macOS. We did look into signing Windows binaries in the past. Wasn't that easy; too many different things to sign for (code, binary, etc.). Maybe it got better? Squeak e.V. Germany would be happy to help if we need an organization behind such certification.

Attempting to go fullscreen (by clicking button in top right corner of squeak header menu) completely freezes the system on OSX 10.15.1 Catalina

Whoops! Should not happen! We will look into it.

Is it necessary that the fresh image has a changeset that includes loads of reorganizations?
I am a bit annoyed every time I start a fresh image to make a minimum change and cannot directly fileout the changeset because of the mess.
ReleaseBuilder-dtl.206 would be great for 5.3.

;-) Calm down. Take a deep breath. ;-)   ------  This is obviously not intended and we will fix it. The issue was in ReleaseBuilder class >> #cleanCaches and ClassOrganizer class >> #cleanUp: not being silent regarding the SystemChangeNotifier. I fixed it and will commit the changes as part of RC2 asap. ---- I will move ReleaseBuilder-dtl.206 to "treated".

Furthermore, we have two empty changesets:
The third change set is called 'Autogenerated-unload' and is empty. I don't know where this change set came from, but it does not need to be in the release image.

Fixed. Will be part of RC2. The issue was in ReleaseBuilder class >> #cleanCaches.

It might be better if the home project change set to be named 'The home project' rather than 'Unnamed1'.

Let's try that! Makes the label button in the world main docking bar more readable.

Best,
Marcel

Am 26.02.2020 10:35:34 schrieb Stéphane Rollandin <[hidden email]>:

> http://files.squeak.org/5.3rc1/Squeak5.3rc1-19414-64bit/
> Please give them a try and report any issues here on the mailing list.
The Guardians game does not run in the 64bit version - it crashes
immediately.

Guardians:
http://www.zogotounga.net/comp/guardians.htm

Code:
http://www.zogotounga.net/comp/squeak/guardians/Guardians-builder-0.94.sar

(to see the crash, just install the above sar and follow the
instructions for starting the game)

Stef

Carpe Squeak!

Re: [ANN] Squeak 5.3 RC1

marcel.taeumel
Then maybe "the-root-project" and "the-home-project" ? Or "the.root.project" and "the.home.project"?

Best,
Marcel

Am 26.02.2020 14:12:24 schrieb Thiede, Christoph <[hidden email]>:

> [...]

It might be better if the home project change set to be named 'The home project' rather than 'Unnamed1'.

Let's try that! Makes the label button in the world main docking bar more readable.

Best,
Marcel

Am 26.02.2020 10:35:34 schrieb Stéphane Rollandin <[hidden email]>:

> http://files.squeak.org/5.3rc1/Squeak5.3rc1-19414-64bit/
> Please give them a try and report any issues here on the mailing list.
The Guardians game does not run in the 64bit version - it crashes
immediately.

Guardians:
http://www.zogotounga.net/comp/guardians.htm

Code:
http://www.zogotounga.net/comp/squeak/guardians/Guardians-builder-0.94.sar

(to see the crash, just install the above sar and follow the

Maybe like this?

Best,
Marcel

Am 26.02.2020 15:40:31 schrieb Marcel Taeumel <[hidden email]>:

> [...]

It might be better if the home project change set to be named 'The home project' rather than 'Unnamed1'.

Let's try that! Makes the label button in the world main docking bar more readable.

Best,
Marcel

Am 26.02.2020 10:35:34 schrieb Stéphane Rollandin <[hidden email]>:

> http://files.squeak.org/5.3rc1/Squeak5.3rc1-19414-64bit/
> Please give them a try and report any issues here on the mailing list.
The Guardians game does not run in the 64bit version - it crashes
immediately.

Guardians:
http://www.zogotounga.net/comp/guardians.htm

Code:
http://www.zogotounga.net/comp/squeak/guardians/Guardians-builder-0.94.sar

(to see the crash, just install the above sar and follow the

If the goal is to make the project structure (and associated change sets)
easier to understand in the image, then I would suggest leaving the
spaces. Why? Unix users are quite capable of escaping the spaces when they
work in a shell, and any Squeak user who uses change sets to save code
will (hopefully) want to give sensible names and preambles and postscripts
to those change sets anyway.

If the goal is to have a nicer naming convention for user change sets,
then we should first look at the excellent naming conventions used in Cuis
(after the release of course).

If we are not certain of the goal, then do nothing :-)

Dave

> Then maybe "the-root-project" and "the-home-project" ? Or
> "the.root.project" and "the.home.project"?
>
> Best,
> Marcel
> Am 26.02.2020 14:12:24 schrieb Thiede, Christoph
> <[hidden email]>:
>> > It might be better if the home project change set to be named 'The
>> home project' rather than 'Unnamed1'.
>>
>> Let's try that! Makes the label button in the world main docking bar
>> more readable.
>
> On the other hand, if you file out your changeset, the name will contain
> spaces. Some operating systems don't like such paths (harder to enter in
> bash/cmd) ...
>
> Best,
> Christoph

Re: [ANN] Squeak 5.3 RC1

David T. Lewis
@Marcel,

Please disregard my comments below. The changes that you just published
are perfect.

Thanks and sorry for the noise,

Dave