[ANN] Squeak 5.3 RC3

marcel.taeumel
Hi all!

Here you go :-)

Note that the bundled VMs for macOS include a fix for the fullscreen mode. Please try it out. :-)

Thanks to Fabio for addressing this issue on short notice!

Best,
Marcel

Re: [ANN] Squeak 5.3 RC3

Christoph Thiede

Hi Marcel, thanks for all the work! Some other notes ...

This looks a bit chaotic in a fresh 5.3rc3 image:

Regarding to the MVC project:

  • After entering the parent MVC project, nothing happens when I attempt to close the host window (on Windows).
  • Evaluating "self primitiveError: #foo" in the Morphic project makes the MVC project pop up, but no debugger window is shown. However, it may "pop up a few minutes later after various interactions with the MVC project", hm...
  • In MVC, categories cannot be toggled in the System Reporter.
  • In the MVC menu, help > Standard Graphics Library raises an error because GraphicalDictionaryMenu class >> #openOn:withLabel: depends on HandMorph.
  • In MVC, the HelpBrowser does not work.
  • And there are still frequent drawing errors:

But I guess most of these issues are neither crucial nor regressions, so I do agree with Eliot: Don't let perfect be the enemy of good :-)

Btw, the bug in process-faithful debugging (I mentioned it several times on the list) IMHO appears to be a greater problem, although we couldn't integrate a fix into this release. Should we mention this in the release notes under the "known issues"?

Best,
Christoph

Carpe Squeak!

Re: [ANN] Squeak 5.3 RC3

Stéphane Rollandin
The 64bit RC3 VM still crashes when running Guardians, which I guess is
expected - but Nicolas seems to have found the bug and fixed it.

Nicolas, is there a chance for the eventual 5.3 release to feature a
fixed 64bit Squeak3D plugin, or is it too late?

Best,

Re: [ANN] Squeak 5.3 RC3

Nicolas Cellier
Hi Stephane,
I let the decision to Marcel and Fabio.
It seems that Fabio fixed fullScreen bug, so updated VM will probably get integrated.

Le ven. 28 févr. 2020 à 18:42, Stéphane Rollandin <[hidden email]> a écrit :
The 64bit RC3 VM still crashes when running Guardians, which I guess is
expected - but Nicolas seems to have found the bug and fixed it.

Nicolas, is there a chance for the eventual 5.3 release to feature a
fixed 64bit Squeak3D plugin, or is it too late?

Best,

Re: [ANN] Squeak 5.3 RC3

fniephaus
Hi all,

Yes, we'll probably update the VMs once more for the final release.

Although the fullscreen behavior seems much better now when I use an
OpenSmalltalkVM directly, it looks like this didn't fix the fullscreen
misbehavior when the VM is rebundled. The only difference I can see is
that the green resize button of the window has a + and not a resizing
arrow. I was hoping this was configured in the bundle's plist somehow,
but I can't find it. Also, I can unfreeze Squeak by using the green
button, so the image is still running.

If anyone has some free cycles to debug this further, that would be
great. I can't seem to work out why the macOS and AIO bundles freeze
when fullscreen mode is enabled on macOS Catalina. Any help would be
appreciated!

Fabio

On Fri, Feb 28, 2020 at 7:37 PM Nicolas Cellier
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Stephane,
> I let the decision to Marcel and Fabio.
> It seems that Fabio fixed fullScreen bug, so updated VM will probably get integrated.
>
> Le ven. 28 févr. 2020 à 18:42, Stéphane Rollandin <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>>
>> The 64bit RC3 VM still crashes when running Guardians, which I guess is
>> expected - but Nicolas seems to have found the bug and fixed it.
>>
>> Nicolas, is there a chance for the eventual 5.3 release to feature a
>> fixed 64bit Squeak3D plugin, or is it too late?
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Stef

Re: [ANN] Squeak 5.3 RC3

fniephaus
On Sat, Feb 29, 2020 at 3:06 PM Fabio Niephaus <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Yes, we'll probably update the VMs once more for the final release.
>
> Although the fullscreen behavior seems much better now when I use an
> OpenSmalltalkVM directly, it looks like this didn't fix the fullscreen
> misbehavior when the VM is rebundled. The only difference I can see is
> that the green resize button of the window has a + and not a resizing
> arrow. I was hoping this was configured in the bundle's plist somehow,
> but I can't find it. Also, I can unfreeze Squeak by using the green
> button, so the image is still running.
>
> If anyone has some free cycles to debug this further, that would be
> great. I can't seem to work out why the macOS and AIO bundles freeze
> when fullscreen mode is enabled on macOS Catalina. Any help would be
> appreciated!

So the fullscreen behavior is defined in the MainMenu.nib, and OSVM
comes with a different version. Re-generating the macOS and AIO RC3
bundles.

Fabio

> Fabio
>
> On Fri, Feb 28, 2020 at 7:37 PM Nicolas Cellier
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Stephane,
> > I let the decision to Marcel and Fabio.
> > It seems that Fabio fixed fullScreen bug, so updated VM will probably get integrated.
> >
> > Le ven. 28 févr. 2020 à 18:42, Stéphane Rollandin <[hidden email]> a écrit :
> >>
> >> The 64bit RC3 VM still crashes when running Guardians, which I guess is
> >> expected - but Nicolas seems to have found the bug and fixed it.
> >>
> >> Nicolas, is there a chance for the eventual 5.3 release to feature a
> >> fixed 64bit Squeak3D plugin, or is it too late?
> >>
> >> Best,
> >>
> >> Stef

Re: [ANN] Squeak 5.3 RC3

fniephaus
I seem to have fixed the fullscreen bug on macOS. Please test RC3 if
you have a Mac!

Fabio