[ANN][Squeak-dev Images] January 2008 versions

12

[ANN][Squeak-dev Images] January 2008 versions

Damien Cassou-3
Hi,

I've just uploaded new squeak-dev and squeak-web images based on
Squeak3.9-7067 and Squeak3.10-7159.

http://damien.cassou.free.fr/squeak-dev.html

Changes in this version:
---------------------------

- The 3.10 based images now have 32bits color depth. This prevents a
bug with Compiz on Linux boxes and the logo looks nicer.
- squeak-web images now contains Aida (http://www.aidaweb.si/) which
is another Smalltalk Web Application Server. You can start it on port
8888 with "SwazooServer demoStart".
- Seaside still runs on top of the http server Commanche. However, you
can run Seaside on top of Swazoo too "SwazooSeaside startOn: 8088".
- The OmniBrowser packages contains bug fixes and requested features
(Ctrl+h to browse hierarchy and Ctrl+Shift+C to show category). Feel
free to use mantis to submit more. Also, the repository is open to
commit (source.wiresong.ca/ob) and adding features is easy; please
help us making OB a great framework and the best browser.

Contained packages:
------------------------

This image contains the following packages (some packages are only in
the squeak-web image):

Aida version 5.4
Announcements version 0.7
AST version 154
AutomaticMethodCategorizer version 0.24
AutomaticMethodCategorizerServices version 0.2
ClassSelectorSets version 1
DynamicBindings version 2.7
DynamicProtocols version 0.67
eCompletion version 0.89
eCompletion-Traits version 0.1
eCompletionOmniBrowser version 0.4
Installer version 1.0.130
KomHttpServer version 7.0.30
KomServices version 1.12
Magritte-Model version 1.0.14.300
Magritte-Morph version 1.0.14.39
Magritte-Seaside version 1.0.14.248
Magritte-Tests version 1.0.14.131
Mondrian version 0.40
OB-Enhancements version 0.60
OmniBrowser version 0.404
OmniBrowser-Full version 0.25
OmniBrowser-Morphic version 0.43
OmniBrowser-Refactory version 0.44
OmniBrowser-Standard version 0.312
OmniBrowser-SUnitIntegration version 0.9.1
OmniBrowser-TraitsIntegration version 0.32
Pier version current
Pier-Blog version 1.0.14-alpha.66
Pier-Documents version 1.0.14-alpha.3
Pier-EditorEnh version 1.0.14-alpha.9
Pier-Model version 1.0.14-alpha.191
Pier-OmniBrowser version 1.0.14-alpha.31
Pier-Seaside version 1.0.14-alpha.231
Pier-Security version 1.0.14-alpha.102
Pier-Tests version 1.0.14-alpha.84
Refactoring Engine version 39
RoelTyper version 0.60
RSRSS2 version 2.8.9
Scriptaculous version 2.8.228
ScriptManager version 0.6
Seaside version 2.8.522
Seaside-Adapters-Core version pmm.2.mcz
Seaside-Adapters-Swazoo version pmm.7.mcz-2
Seaside-Squeak-Adapters version pmm.3.mcz
SeasideAdaptersCompatibility version pmm.1.mcz
Shout version 3.15-tween.70
ShoutWorkspace version 1-tween.2
SmaCC runtime version 13
Sport version 2.31
Squeak dev packages version 0.17
Squeak dev packages beta version 0.20
Squeak web packages version 0.2
SUnit-improved version 4.0.108
SUnitGUI-improved version 4.0.48
Swazoo version 2.1
ToolBuilder integration for UI Themes version 0.51
UI Themes and Standard Widgets version 0.58
Universes version 41
Universes OmniBrowser version 0.35
YAXO version 9

Updating the image:
-------------------------

You are not obliged to download a new image if you don't want. You can
always update your image.

To upgrade your already existing squeak-dev image:

1) World menu->open...->Package Universe Browser
2) Update list from network
3) Select all upgrades
4) Install selection
5) Execute: 'DEVImageCreator default install' (all windows will be closed)

Prepared packages:
--------------------------

There are a lot of packages prepared for you in this image. They are
not loaded in the image, but they can be easily.

- Open Package Universe Browser (world->open...->Package Universe Browser).
- Click on "Update list from network"
- Wait a few seconds
- Select your packages
- Install them

Damien Cassou

Re: [ANN][Squeak-dev Images] January 2008 versions

Michael Rueger-4
Damien Cassou wrote:

> YAXO version 9

Yaxo is now up to version 14 on SqueakSource :-)

Michael

On Jan 4, 2008 12:22 PM, Michael Rueger <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Damien Cassou wrote:
>
> > YAXO version 9
>
> Yaxo is now up to version 14 on SqueakSource :-)

I read somewhere that this version was not compatible with Squeak 3.9.
If it's I misread, please upgrade the universe for the package to
point on the new version (how to http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5899).

Bye

Damien Cassou

Re: [ANN][Squeak-dev Images] January 2008 versions

Alexander Lazarevic'
CodeLoader snarls <http://www.dict.cc/englisch-deutsch/snarls.html> on
startup (see log)?

Alex

Error: No content to install
4 January 2008 12:39:52 pm

VM: unix - a SmalltalkImage
Image: Squeak3.9 [latest update: #7067]

SecurityManager state:
Restricted: false
FileAccess: true
SocketAccess: true
Working Dir /home/laza/Smalltalk/squeak/sq3.9-7067dev08.01.1
Trusted Dir /home/laza/Smalltalk/squeak/sq3.9-7067dev08.01.1/secure
Untrusted Dir /home/laza/Smalltalk/squeak/sq3.9-7067dev08.01.1/My Squeak

CodeLoader(Object)>>error:
        Receiver: a CodeLoader
        Arguments and temporary variables:
                aString: 'No content to install'
        Receiver's instance variables:
                baseURL: ''
                sourceFiles: an Array(a HTTPDownloadRequest)
                segments: nil
                publicKey: nil

CodeLoader>>installSourceFile:
        Receiver: a CodeLoader
        Arguments and temporary variables:
                aStream: nil
                contents: nil
                trusted: nil
        Receiver's instance variables:
                baseURL: ''
                sourceFiles: an Array(a HTTPDownloadRequest)
                segments: nil
                publicKey: nil

[] in CodeLoader>>installSourceFiles {[:req | self installSourceFile: req contentStream]}
        Arguments and temporary variables:
                req: a HTTPDownloadRequest

Array(SequenceableCollection)>>do:
        Receiver: an Array(a HTTPDownloadRequest)
        Arguments and temporary variables:
                aBlock: [] in CodeLoader>>installSourceFiles {[:req | self installSourceFile: r...etc...
                index: 1
                indexLimiT: 1
        Receiver's instance variables:
an Array(a HTTPDownloadRequest)

--- The full stack ---
CodeLoader(Object)>>error:
CodeLoader>>installSourceFile:
[] in CodeLoader>>installSourceFiles {[:req | self installSourceFile: req contentStream]}
Array(SequenceableCollection)>>do:
CodeLoader>>installSourceFiles
ProjectLauncher>>startUpAfterLogin
ProjectLauncher>>startUp
[] in AutoStart class>>startUp: {[launcher startUp]}
WorldState>>runStepMethodsIn:
PasteUpMorph>>runStepMethods
WorldState>>doOneCycleNowFor:
WorldState>>doOneCycleFor:
PasteUpMorph>>doOneCycle
[] in Project class>>spawnNewProcess {[[World doOneCycle.  Processor yield.  false] whileFalse.  nil]}
[] in BlockContext>>newProcess {[self value.  Processor terminateActive]}

Damien Cassou wrote:
> On Jan 4, 2008 12:22 PM, Michael Rueger <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Damien Cassou wrote:
>>
>>> YAXO version 9
>> Yaxo is now up to version 14 on SqueakSource :-)
>
> I read somewhere that this version was not compatible with Squeak 3.9.

Oh, I forgot about that part. "Someone" should really make a 3.9.1 ...

Michael

Re: [ANN][Squeak-dev Images] January 2008 versions

Alexander Lazarevic'
I wasn't sure about barfs! :)

Alexander Lazarević schrieb:
> CodeLoader snarls <http://www.dict.cc/englisch-deutsch/snarls.html> on
> startup (see log)?
>
> Alex

Re: [ANN][Squeak-dev Images] January 2008 versions

Alexander Lazarevic'
Ups, dead sources link.

Alexander Lazarević schrieb:
> CodeLoader snarls <http://www.dict.cc/englisch-deutsch/snarls.html> on
> startup (see log)?
>
> Alex

Re: [ANN][Squeak-dev Images] January 2008 versions

Alexander Lazarevic'
Ok, to even more increase global head-shaking in my behalf :D

Fixing the broken link just seemed to be the issue here. I had removed
all squeak packages for ubuntu before and installed the squakland
package after that, leaving many dangling symlinks. Installing squeak
packages again I thought the problem was a bad link leftover. Testing
*from a shell* worked. But what happened is, that the newly installed
packages changed the way how squeak images are started *from the
desktop* again. I had changed the launch method to squeakvm with
buttonoptions once (see why [1]) and now the squeak launching script was
executed and instead of the squeakvm the squeakvm launching method was
used. Now double clicking on a squeak image resulted in starting the
real vm like "squeak -vm-display-x11 -swapbtn sq3.9-7067dev08.01.1.image
squeak.image". The additional squeak.image made CodeLoader raise the
exception.

Pooh!

Now beyond shooting myself in the foot with this, wouldn't it be a nice
feature to have the vm answer a default sources directory (via some
vmparameter) and make the image look for sources files in that directory
instead of having many copies of or symlinks to sources files all over
the place?

Alex

[1] http://tinyurl.com/337ro3

Re: [ANN][Squeak-dev Images] January 2008 versions

Bert Freudenberg

On Jan 4, 2008, at 15:26 , Alexander Lazarević wrote:

> Now beyond shooting myself in the foot with this, wouldn't it be a
> nice
> feature to have the vm answer a default sources directory (via some
> vmparameter) and make the image look for sources files in that
> directory
> instead of having many copies of or symlinks to sources files all over
> the place?

You only need to have one sources file in the same directory as the VM.

- Bert -

Re: [ANN][Squeak-dev Images] January 2008 versions

David Zmick
thats not fair, i just got your 3.9 image all configured for me,  can i update to 3.10 through squeak's update?

Bert Freudenberg schrieb:
> You only need to have one sources file in the same directory as the VM.
On unix systems the squeak vm is in /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin, which is
no good place to have the Sources files in.
I think it wouldn't hurt to extend vmparameters to return an explicit
default sources directory. This would return the vmpath for every
platform but unix and behaviour would be the same as it is now. For unix
it should return /usr/share/squeak instead.

Alex

Re: [ANN][Squeak-dev Images] January 2008 versions

David Zmick
i guess the answer to my question is yes, im doing it now!

On Jan 4, 2008 3:48 PM, Alexander Lazarević <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Bert Freudenberg schrieb:
> > You only need to have one sources file in the same directory as the VM.
> On unix systems the squeak vm is in /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin, which is
> no good place to have the Sources files in.
> I think it wouldn't hurt to extend vmparameters to return an explicit
> default sources directory. This would return the vmpath for every
> platform but unix and behaviour would be the same as it is now. For unix
> it should return /usr/share/squeak instead.

it's highly possible that your vm is really located in
/usr/lib/squeak/... and that you only have a link in /usr/bin. I
always put my sources files directly in /usr/lib/squeak/... and they
are found without problem.

On Jan 4, 2008 4:13 PM, David Zmick <[hidden email]> wrote:
> i guess the answer to my question is yes, im doing it now!

3.10 is not a stable image, it has not been released yet. You should
wait a bit. Moreover, you may have problem upgrading like this; I
recommend you to use a 3.10 image directly.

Damien Cassou

Damien Cassou schrieb:
> it's highly possible that your vm is really located in
> /usr/lib/squeak/... and that you only have a link in /usr/bin.
Using the "official" debian packages you get the squeak vm named
squeakvm in /usr/bin and a script named squeak in the same directory.
The "official" sources packages install the sources files into
/usr/share/squeak.
What packages are you using on what distribution? This sounds rather
like a manual installation and I wonder if this is more common than just

Alex

On Jan 4, 2008 4:54 PM, Alexander Lazarevic' <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Damien Cassou schrieb:
> > it's highly possible that your vm is really located in
> > /usr/lib/squeak/... and that you only have a link in /usr/bin.
> Using the "official" debian packages you get the squeak vm named
> squeakvm in /usr/bin and a script named squeak in the same directory.
> The "official" sources packages install the sources files into
> /usr/share/squeak.
> What packages are you using on what distribution? This sounds rather
> like a manual installation and I wonder if this is more common than just

I compiled from subversion sources.

Damien Cassou

Re: [ANN][Squeak-dev Images] January 2008 versions

keith1y
Michael Rueger wrote:

> Damien Cassou wrote:

>>> Yaxo is now up to version 14 on SqueakSource :-)
>>
>> I read somewhere that this version was not compatible with Squeak 3.9.
>
> Oh, I forgot about that part. "Someone" should really make a 3.9.1 ...
>
> Michael

What do you need, we may just be able to put it into the
LevelPlayingField script for 3.9
and perhaps 3.9 LPF can be 3.9.1

That was one purpose of LPF, to free you from having to stick to older apis

Keith

Damien Cassou wrote:
> On Jan 4, 2008 4:13 PM, David Zmick <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> i guess the answer to my question is yes, im doing it now!
>>

> 3.10 is not a stable image, it has not been released yet. You should
> wait a bit. Moreover, you may have problem upgrading like this; I
> recommend you to use a 3.10 image directly.

I suggest taking note of the packages which you load into your image,
and writing an installer script.

The theory being that this script should run in any base image that you
choose, once the LevelPlayingField script has been applied.

Keith

Re: [ANN][Squeak-dev Images] January 2008 versions

Edgar J. De Cleene

El 1/4/08 11:41 AM, "David Zmick" <[hidden email]> escribió:

> thats not fair, i just got your 3.9 image all configured for me,  can i update
> to 3.10 through squeak's update?

You could, but better download
http://ftp.squeak.org/3.10/Squeak3.10alpha.7069.zip and populate to your
needs via Universes.

Also could try Damien excellent images or if you was a good boy last year ,
email to Los Reyes Magos ( Mateo 2,1-2) and put your shoes for my upcoming
FunSqueak, to all previous loaded I add more stuff (Sheduler, eCompletion,
Seaside+Magritte+Pier).

Edgar

P.S Here in Argentina, we believe three magic persons with large camel
caravan could bring us more gift as only one in red cloths

Re: [ANN][Squeak-dev Images] January 2008 versions

Giovanni Corriga
Damien Cassou ha scritto:
> KomHttpServer version 7.0.30
> KomServices version 1.12

Err, where does this version number come from? The latest versions are
7.0.5 and 1.3.1 respectively.

        Giovanni

12