[ANN] Squeak4.3gamma-11793 ready for last cleanup

[ANN] Squeak4.3gamma-11793 ready for last cleanup

Edgar De Cleene
[ANN] Squeak4.3gamma-11793 ready for last cleanup http://ftp.squeak.org/4.3alpha/Squeak4.3gamma-11793.zip

Enjoy

Edgar

Re: [ANN] Squeak4.3gamma-11793 ready for last cleanup

David T. Lewis
On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 10:30:53AM -0200, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:
> http://ftp.squeak.org/4.3alpha/Squeak4.3gamma-11793.zip
>
> Enjoy
>
> Edgar

Thank you Edgar!

Dave

Re: [ANN] Squeak4.3gamma-11793 ready for last cleanup

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Sat, 19 Nov 2011, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

> http://ftp.squeak.org/4.3alpha/Squeak4.3gamma-11793.zip

Thanks. I was wondering why is it called gamma and not beta. For the
release we should make sure that the changes file is as clean as possible.

Levente

On 11/21/11 9:04 AM, "Levente Uzonyi" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Nov 2011, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:
>
>> http://ftp.squeak.org/4.3alpha/Squeak4.3gamma-11793.zip
>
> Thanks. I was wondering why is it called gamma and not beta. For the
> release we should make sure that the changes file is as clean as possible.
>

> Levente

>From old conventions , when a release is in freeze mode and not new features
could be in , it's called gamma and not beta IMHO.

Edgar

Re: [ANN] Squeak4.3gamma-11793 ready for last cleanup

Bert Freudenberg

On 21.11.2011, at 11:26, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

> On 11/21/11 9:04 AM, "Levente Uzonyi" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 19 Nov 2011, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:
>>
>>> http://ftp.squeak.org/4.3alpha/Squeak4.3gamma-11793.zip
>>
>> Thanks. I was wondering why is it called gamma and not beta. For the
>> release we should make sure that the changes file is as clean as possible.
>>

>> Levente
>

>> From old conventions , when a release is in freeze mode and not new features
> could be in , it's called gamma and not beta IMHO.
>
> Edgar

The convention is

Alpha - still adding features
(then feature freeze happens)
Beta - feature-complete, but expect bugs
(then code freeze happens)
Gamma - release candidate
(then release happens)
Final - release

- Bert -

Re: [ANN] Squeak4.3gamma-11793 ready for last cleanup

Hannes Hirzel
OK, so there are two types of  freeze

1) feature freeze (after alpha, currently effective) and
2) code freeze (after beta).

So the image http://ftp.squeak.org/4.3alpha/Squeak4.3gamma-11793.zip
should be labeled http://ftp.squeak.org/4.3alpha/Squeak4.3beta-11793.zip

Thank you Edgar for providing this image.

--Hannes

On 11/21/11, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 21.11.2011, at 11:26, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

>>> Thanks. I was wondering why is it called gamma and not beta. For the
>>> release we should make sure that the changes file is as clean as
>>> possible.
>>>

>>> Levente
>>

>>> From old conventions , when a release is in freeze mode and not new
>>> features
>> could be in , it's called gamma and not beta IMHO.
>>
>> Edgar
>

> The convention is
>
> Alpha - still adding features
> (then feature freeze happens)
> Beta - feature-complete, but expect bugs
> (then code freeze happens)
> Gamma - release candidate
> (then release happens)
> Final - release
>
> - Bert -

Re: [ANN] Squeak4.3gamma-11793 ready for last cleanup

Hannes Hirzel
Test on Ubuntu 11.10 (Oneiric)

VM: http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/VM.r2515/coglinux.tgz
(18th Nov 2011)
Image: http://ftp.squeak.org/4.3alpha/Squeak4.3gamma-11793.zip
(actually a beta image)

Test runner: about 500 tests run through then the image is closed and
the command line shows

dict-dev-1@dictdev1:~/coglinux$ ./squeak
sound_Start(default)
soundStart: snd_add_pcm_handler: Function not implemented
sound_Start(default)
soundStart: snd_add_pcm_handler: Function not implemented
I/O possible

On 11/21/11, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> OK, so there are two types of  freeze
>
> 1) feature freeze (after alpha, currently effective) and
> 2) code freeze (after beta).
>
> So the image http://ftp.squeak.org/4.3alpha/Squeak4.3gamma-11793.zip
> should be labeled http://ftp.squeak.org/4.3alpha/Squeak4.3beta-11793.zip
>
> Thank you Edgar for providing this image.
>
> --Hannes
>
> On 11/21/11, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> could be in , it's called gamma and not beta IMHO.
>>>
>>> Edgar
>>

>> The convention is
>>
>> Alpha - still adding features
>> (then feature freeze happens)
>> Beta - feature-complete, but expect bugs
>> (then code freeze happens)
>> Gamma - release candidate
>> (then release happens)
>> Final - release
>>
>> - Bert -

Re: [ANN] Squeak4.3gamma-11793 ready for last cleanup

Chris Muller-3
This has been a problem with Cog on Ubuntu for a long time.

A work around is to always start Squeak with no sound:

   squeak -vm-sound-null my.image

Please let us know if you discover a better solution.

On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 6:37 AM, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Test on Ubuntu 11.10 (Oneiric)
>
> VM: http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/VM.r2515/coglinux.tgz
> (18th Nov 2011)
> Image: http://ftp.squeak.org/4.3alpha/Squeak4.3gamma-11793.zip
> (actually a beta image)
>
> Test runner: about 500 tests run through then the image is closed and
> the command line shows
>
> dict-dev-1@dictdev1:~/coglinux$ ./squeak
> sound_Start(default)
> soundStart: snd_add_pcm_handler: Function not implemented
> sound_Start(default)
> soundStart: snd_add_pcm_handler: Function not implemented
> I/O possible
> dict-dev-1@dictdev1:~/coglinux$
>
> --Hannes
>
> On 11/21/11, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> OK, so there are two types of  freeze
>>
>> 1) feature freeze (after alpha, currently effective) and
>> 2) code freeze (after beta).
>>
>> So the image http://ftp.squeak.org/4.3alpha/Squeak4.3gamma-11793.zip
>> should be labeled http://ftp.squeak.org/4.3alpha/Squeak4.3beta-11793.zip
>>
>> Thank you Edgar for providing this image.
>>
>> --Hannes

>>> The convention is
>>>
>>> Alpha - still adding features
>>> (then feature freeze happens)
>>> Beta - feature-complete, but expect bugs
>>> (then code freeze happens)
>>> Gamma - release candidate
>>> (then release happens)
>>> Final - release
>>>
>>> - Bert -

Re: [ANN] Squeak4.3gamma-11793 ready for last cleanup

Hannes Hirzel
Thank you Chris, using squeak -vm-sound-null  made the tests run through.

--Hannes

On 11/22/11, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This has been a problem with Cog on Ubuntu for a long time.
>
> A work around is to always start Squeak with no sound:
>
>    squeak -vm-sound-null my.image
>
> Please let us know if you discover a better solution.
>

> On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 6:37 AM, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Test on Ubuntu 11.10 (Oneiric)
>>
>> VM: http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/VM.r2515/coglinux.tgz
>> (18th Nov 2011)
>> Image: http://ftp.squeak.org/4.3alpha/Squeak4.3gamma-11793.zip
>> (actually a beta image)
>>
>> Test runner: about 500 tests run through then the image is closed and
>> the command line shows
>>
>> dict-dev-1@dictdev1:~/coglinux$ ./squeak
>> sound_Start(default)
>> soundStart: snd_add_pcm_handler: Function not implemented
>> sound_Start(default)
>> soundStart: snd_add_pcm_handler: Function not implemented
>> I/O possible
>> dict-dev-1@dictdev1:~/coglinux$
>>
>> --Hannes
>>
>> On 11/21/11, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> OK, so there are two types of  freeze
>>>
>>> 1) feature freeze (after alpha, currently effective) and
>>> 2) code freeze (after beta).
>>>
>>> So the image http://ftp.squeak.org/4.3alpha/Squeak4.3gamma-11793.zip
>>> should be labeled http://ftp.squeak.org/4.3alpha/Squeak4.3beta-11793.zip
>>>
>>> Thank you Edgar for providing this image.
>>>
>>> --Hannes

Screenshot at 2011-11-22 20:44:14.png (37K) Download Attachment

Re: [ANN] Squeak4.3gamma-11793 ready for last cleanup

marcel.taeumel (old)
Edgar J. De Cleene-3 wrote
On 11/21/11 9:04 AM, "Levente Uzonyi" <[hidden email]> wrote:
From old conventions , when a release is in freeze mode and not new features
could be in , it's called gamma and not beta IMHO.

Edgar
So why calling it "alpha" in the first place? Maybe we should call it "trunk" or "release candidate" (RC) depending whether there is a feature freeze or not.

For me, "alpha" has a notion of "highly unstable and featureless" - not what I expect from a trunk of an open system. :) Of course, there are bugs. There will be bugs in the final 4.3 release anyway. ;)

Marcel