[ANN] SqueakDBX, Glorp and GlorpDBX loads easily in Pharo

[ANN] SqueakDBX, Glorp and GlorpDBX loads easily in Pharo

Torsten Bergmann
Hi Mariano,

thanks. I appreciate that someone is looking into
RDMBs interfacing and OR-Mapping, although I had'nt yet
time to play with all your recent work.

Three questions:

Whats the state of SqueakDBX (supported DB's, ...)

Is PostgreSQL still required for Glorp? What if I want to
use Glorp with say SQLite?

Any comments on Glorp vs. SqueakSave?

Thanks
Torsten

Re: [ANN] SqueakDBX, Glorp and GlorpDBX loads easily in Pharo

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 5:58 AM, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Mariano,

thanks. I appreciate that someone is looking into
RDMBs interfacing and OR-Mapping, although I had'nt yet
time to play with all your recent work.

Three questions:

Whats the state of SqueakDBX (supported DB's, ...)

You can see this information here: http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6108
In summary PostgreSQL, Oracle and Sqlite3 works ok in Mac, Linux and Windows.
MySQL works on Mac and Linux but we have problems in Windows :(
SQL Server works on Linux and Windows and wasn't tested on Mac.
Firebird, Interbase and Sybase ASE are supported by OpenDBX but were never tested in SqueakDBX. So, they *should* work.

Is PostgreSQL still required for Glorp?

If you evaluate GlorpPharoLoader loadGlorpWithNativePostgreSQLDriver
this will download the normal Glorp which requieres PostgreSQL. However, we have refactored this and now Glorp doesn't depends on a particular driver but to an abstract class DatabaseDriver. This refactor is now in SqueakDBX repo (it will then be in Glorp repo) with the name of GlorpDBX.
So, if you download GlorpDBX you won't require PostgreSQL native driver, but SqueakDBX. You can also download only Glorp and use another driver.
All of this stuff (GlorpDBX) is still in development and only works with PostgreSQL and Oracle

What if I want to
use Glorp with say SQLite?

You can, but not right now. You have to wait a bit ;)   You will be able to use SqueakDBX with Sqlite or create a Glorp Driver (subclass of DatabaseDriver) for it if there exist another SQLite driver.

Any comments on Glorp vs. SqueakSave?

I must admit I have never (yet) used any of them to production applications. So I will give only my point of view:

Glorp:

- seems to have more "successful stories"
- Has the CINCOM sponsor (in VW of course)
- More flexible and useful for medium / big applications
- Requieres time doing the mappings
- The Squeak version is old (thanks Diógenes is doing a new port)

SqueakSave:

- Not yet in stable release
- Excellent situation for small / medium projects
- You don't spend time doing mappings
- I don't know if it works on Pharo.
- Use MySQL or PostgreSQL but perhaps they create another adaptor for SqueakDBX

Best,

Mariano

Thanks
Torsten