[ANN] Styled Text Editor for Cuis 4.0 Smalltalk

123

Re: [ANN] Styled Text Editor for Cuis 4.0 Smalltalk

Dale Henrichs
Bernhard and Juan,

I was curious enough about Cypress and Cuis to start a Cypress port to Cuis[1]. Loaded code and started working through tests:

  19 run, 6 passed, 3 failed, 10 errors

We'll see if I get any farther tonight:)

Dale

[1] https://github.com/CampSmalltalk/cuis-cypress

Re: [ANN] Styled Text Editor for Cuis 4.0 Smalltalk

Edgar De Cleene

On 4/23/12 10:28 PM, "Juan Vuletich (mail lists)" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I think Spoon could be very useful. I'm waiting for some tutorial or
> howto on how to use Spoon for this.

Craig ?

Several of us wait a tutorial of how you got from Spoon to Cuis ....

Edgar

Re: [ANN] Styled Text Editor for Cuis 4.0 Smalltalk

J. Vuletich (mail lists)
Hi Dale,

Quoting Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]>:

> Bernhard and Juan,
>
> I was curious enough about Cypress and Cuis to start a Cypress port
> to Cuis[1]. Loaded code and started working through tests:
>
>   19 run, 6 passed, 3 failed, 10 errors
>
> We'll see if I get any farther tonight:)
>
> Dale
>
> [1] https://github.com/CampSmalltalk/cuis-cypress

This is great, thank you!

I took a look at your format when thinking on how to do Cuis package
format, and I think that for a Cuis specific package format, a single
file per package will be easier to diff / merge by Git.

But I really welcome and thank you for this format for cross-dialect packages!

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

Juan,

Exactly!

BTW, I've got just a little more work to do before Cuis will be able to read and write Cypress:)

Dale

| > I was curious enough about Cypress and Cuis to start a Cypress port
| > to Cuis[1]. Loaded code and started working through tests:
| >
| >   19 run, 6 passed, 3 failed, 10 errors
| >
| > We'll see if I get any farther tonight:)
| >
| > Dale
| >
| > [1] https://github.com/CampSmalltalk/cuis-cypress
|
| This is great, thank you!
|
| I took a look at your format when thinking on how to do Cuis package
| format, and I think that for a Cuis specific package format, a single
| file per package will be easier to diff / merge by Git.
|
| But I really welcome and thank you for this format for cross-dialect
| packages!
|
| Cheers,
| Juan Vuletich

| > |
| > | Bernhard,
| > |
| > | With regards to sharing code between dialects, I'd like to
| > | recommend
| > | that you look into porting Cypress to Cuis (I'm willing to help
| > | as
| > | much as I can).
| > |
| > | The Cypress project is aimed from the get go to enable sharing of
| > | packages between Smalltalk dialects with a recognition that
| > | possibly
| > | the most important aspect is a shared VCS (git/github).
| > |
| > | If you look at the current code base in Cypress, you will see a
| > | reference implementation written against Pharo. The reference
| > | implementation is a work in progress and the initial
| > | implementation
| > | was done for Amber[2].
| > |
| > | Cypress has Monticello-like packages, but other than taking a few
| > | ideas from Monticello (definitions, packages and snapshots ...
| > | more
| > | than a few:)) the code base is independent of Monticello. The
| > | fact
| > | that Cypress runs on top of Amber (sans file system access)
| > | speaks
| > | volumes for it's portability.
| > |
| > | To paraphrase a point from my STIC talk[3] on this subject:
| > |
| > |   Cypress is not intended to be the primary version control
| > |   system for any dialect, however, if you want to share code
| > |   between dialects you should allow your developers to import
| > |   and export code using the Cypress package format.
| > |
| > | If you are interested, there are bits and pieces of code in a few
| > | other projects that I would want to pull into the Cypress project
| > | and couple other things that I'd like to move out of the Cypress
| > | project before tackling another port ...
| > |
| > | We can correspond via private email if you'd like to take me up
| > | on
| > | the offer of help:)
| > |
| > | Dale
| > |
| > | [1] https://github.com/CampSmalltalk/Cypress
| > | [2] https://github.com/CampSmalltalk/amber-cypress
| > | [3]
| > | http://portal.sliderocket.com/vmware/STIC-2012-Practical-Git-for-Smalltalk
| > |
| > | |
| > | |
| > | |
| > | |
| > | |
| > | |
| > | |
| > | |
| > | |
| > | |
| > | |

| > | |
| > | |
| > | |
| > |

Re: [ANN] Styled Text Editor for Cuis 4.0 Smalltalk

Hannes Hirzel
On 4/21/12, Bernhard Pieber <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 21.04.2012 um 22:22 schrieb "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>:
>> Yeah VM works on iOS.
> Cool!
>
>> My use case is private, nothing fancy. I just value having decent
>> TextEditor and friends.
>>
>> For an OO thing like  Smalltalk Pharo, it would be a shame to now have a
>> top notch UI kit for editing text.
> I totally agree. That's one reason why I started the Styled Text Editor
> project. ;-)

Great effort!
Are there screen shots of the implementation available somewhere?

In which format does it save the files? RTF? HTML? Something else?

--Hannes

> [...]
>> depends on the approach one uses for porting. We have an idea how to do
>> the port to Pharo as an external package. Do you have a concrete use case
>> in mind?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Bernhard
>>
>> P.S. Did you succeed building the Mac VM on Xcode 4.3 yet?
>>
>> Am 21.04.2012 um 21:17 schrieb "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>:
>>
>>> Great news!
>>>
>>> I am currently busy looking after Text, TextAttributes, TextConstants,
>>> Paragraph... and god, it went through the grinder and it shows.
>>>
>>> I understand the reasons that led to such things but Collections-Text is
>>> in need of improvement for sure.
>>>
>>> How much funding would be necessary to get this port done?
>>>
>>> Phil
>>>
>>> 2012/4/21 Bernhard Pieber <[hidden email]>
>>> Dear Smalltalkers,
>>>
>>> I am very happy to announce that the Styled Text Editor for the brand new
>>> Cuis 4.0 is now available on GitHub [1]. The Styled Text Editor was first
>>> presented by me at last year's ESUG in Edinburgh [2]. Thanks to ESUG the
>>> presentation was recorded [3].
>>>
>>> The Styled Text Editor is a framework for rich text editing using styles
>>> as known from popular word processors like Apple Pages or Microsoft Word.
>>> It features paragraph and character styles, allowing easy text formatting
>>> using styles only. It is intended for applications where users need to
>>> work with good looking rich text in a simple and fast way.
>>>
>>> Rich text commonly refers to text with formatting information like
>>> different fonts, sizes, alignments, and emphasis. To make editing as
>>> simple as possible instead of individual formatting information end users
>>> apply styles to parts of the text. Editing is made fast by keyboard
>>> shortcuts for text navigation, selection, and styles selection. Where
>>> possible the feel of widely used rich text editors is supported.
>>>
>>> It includes many features like
>>> - numbered and bulleted list paragraph styles
>>> - support for images
>>> - multiple level undo and redo
>>> - text completion using various glossaries including a dictionary of
>>> English with about 166.000 words
>>> - RTF clipboard (on OS X VMs with the ClipboardExtendedPlugin)
>>>
>>> The Styled Text Editor is developed in Cuis with the plan to eventually
>>> port it to Squeak and Pharo. The development of the Styled Text Editor
>>> inspired many changes to Cuis itself, and It is the first package to use
>>> the brand new DVCS based development process for external packages for
>>> Cuis 4.0.
>>>
>>> The idea and funding was provided by me, Bernhard Pieber and my company
>>> Software Generation. The implementation was done by Juan Vuletich, the
>>> mastermind behind Cuis. Thanks Juan for the close cooperation. It was and
>>> still is great fun to work with you.
>>>
>>> We are looking forward to feedback from you. Fork it on GitHub [1],
>>> create issues and send us pull requests. ;-)

>>> http://www.esug.org/wiki/pier/Conferences/2011/Schedule-And-Talks/StyledTextEditor
>>> [3]

Quoting "H. Hirzel" <[hidden email]>:

> On 4/21/12, Bernhard Pieber <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Am 21.04.2012 um 22:22 schrieb "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>:
>>> Yeah VM works on iOS.
>> Cool!
>>
>>> My use case is private, nothing fancy. I just value having decent
>>> TextEditor and friends.
>>>
>>> For an OO thing like  Smalltalk Pharo, it would be a shame to now have a
>>> top notch UI kit for editing text.
>> I totally agree. That's one reason why I started the Styled Text Editor
>> project. ;-)
>
> Great effort!
> Are there screen shots of the implementation available somewhere?

We haven´t published any. I can do it in case you´re not able to run it...

> In which format does it save the files? RTF? HTML? Something else?

Native format is SmartRefStream. The export to RTF is done and used
for ExtendedClipboard (currently only supported on the 4 series Mac
VM). It would be trivial to add support for saving RTF files, but RTF
can not hold all the features StyledTextEditor supports, so it is
better to use own format.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

> --Hannes
>
>> Cheers,
>> Bernhard
>>
>>> I hope to be able to provide several decent samples so that newcomers
>>> don't have to go through the same pain as I go through now.
>>>
>>> Phil
>>>
>>> 2012/4/21 Bernhard Pieber <[hidden email]>
>>> Thanks for the encouragement!
>>>
>>> The necessary funding depends on the effort of course, and this in turn
>>> depends on the approach one uses for porting. We have an idea how to do
>>> the port to Pharo as an external package. Do you have a concrete use case
>>> in mind?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Bernhard
>>>
>>> P.S. Did you succeed building the Mac VM on Xcode 4.3 yet?

>>> --
>>> Philippe Back
>>> "Helping you hit the top 3 outcomes you really want to achieve"
>>>
>>> Mob: +32(0) 478 650 140 | Fax: +32 (0) 70 408 027 Mail: [hidden email]
>>> http://philippeback.be
>>>
>>> High Octane SPRL
>>> rue cour Boisacq 101
>>> 1301 Bierges