[ANN] Swazoo web server 2.0 beta released on Squeak

[ANN] Swazoo web server 2.0 beta released on Squeak

Janko Mivšek
Dear Squeakers,

I just finished a port of Swazoo to Squeak and a first beta is now
available on SqueakSource (http://www.squeaksource.com/Swazoo).

After installation you can start a simple 'Hello World' demo site.
Follow instructions on http://www.swazoo.org/installation-squeak.html
and short explanation on http://www.swazoo.org/documentation.html.

To introduce it a bit: Swazoo (Smalltalk Web Application Zoo) is an open
source, vendor agnostic, dialect neutral Smalltalk HTTP server with
resource and web request resolution framework, a fruit of a first Camp
Smalltalk 2000 in San Diego. Its main features are:

     * HTTP 1.1 and virtual site support
     * concept of hierarchical Resources allows pluggable addition of new
       web resources like static page servers, wikis, dynamic web
       frameworks like Seaside and Aida/Web
     * clean web request resolution framework
     * resource for static web serving

I hope that Squeakers will find Swazoo useful and help us achieve its
main goal: to become a web server of choice for all dialects of Smalltalk.

Best regards
Janko Mivšek
maintainer of Swazoo
http://www.swazoo.org

Re: [ANN] Swazoo web server 2.0 beta released on Squeak

Philippe Marschall
Cool. Did you get the Seaside Adapters to work? Maybe you can use the
ones Michel wrote for VW?

Cheers
Philippe

2007/6/6, Janko Mivšek <[hidden email]>:

> Dear Squeakers,
>
> I just finished a port of Swazoo to Squeak and a first beta is now
> available on SqueakSource (http://www.squeaksource.com/Swazoo).
>
> After installation you can start a simple 'Hello World' demo site.
> Follow instructions on http://www.swazoo.org/installation-squeak.html
> and short explanation on http://www.swazoo.org/documentation.html.
>
> To introduce it a bit: Swazoo (Smalltalk Web Application Zoo) is an open
> source, vendor agnostic, dialect neutral Smalltalk HTTP server with
> resource and web request resolution framework, a fruit of a first Camp
> Smalltalk 2000 in San Diego. Its main features are:
>
>      * HTTP 1.1 and virtual site support
>      * concept of hierarchical Resources allows pluggable addition of new
>        web resources like static page servers, wikis, dynamic web
>        frameworks like Seaside and Aida/Web
>      * clean web request resolution framework
>      * resource for static web serving
>
> I hope that Squeakers will find Swazoo useful and help us achieve its
> main goal: to become a web server of choice for all dialects of Smalltalk.
>
> Best regards
> Janko Mivšek
> maintainer of Swazoo
> http://www.swazoo.org

Re: [ANN] Swazoo web server 2.0 beta released on Squeak

Janko Mivšek
Hi Phillipe,

Philippe Marschall wrote:
> Cool. Did you get the Seaside Adapters to work? Maybe you can use the
> ones Michel wrote for VW?

I think yes. VW Swazoo-Seaside connection as an example is definitively
to follow.

I worked with Michel a while ago so that Seaside is one of the Swazoo
Sites and this is to be preferred approach on Squeak too. To put in
other words: make a subclass of Site (say SeasideSite) and override
#answerTo: to get a http request.

That way we can run more than one web app frameworks on the same Swazoo
server at once.

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web

Re: [ANN] Swazoo web server 2.0 beta released on Squeak

Michael Roberts-2

On 6 Jun 2007, at 13:36, Janko Mivšek wrote:

> Dear Squeakers,
>
> I just finished a port of Swazoo to Squeak and a first beta is now
> available on SqueakSource (http://www.squeaksource.com/Swazoo).
>
> After installation you can start a simple 'Hello World' demo site.
> Follow instructions on http://www.swazoo.org/installation-squeak.html
> and short explanation on http://www.swazoo.org/documentation.html.
cool, but domain looks down?

Cheers,

Mike_______________________________________________
Seaside mailing list

Re: [ANN] Swazoo web server 2.0 beta released on Squeak

Janko Mivšek
Hi Michael,

Michael Roberts wrote:

> On 6 Jun 2007, at 13:36, Janko Mivšek wrote:
>
>> Dear Squeakers,
>>
>> I just finished a port of Swazoo to Squeak and a first beta is now
>> available on SqueakSource (http://www.squeaksource.com/Swazoo).
>>
>> After installation you can start a simple 'Hello World' demo site.
>> Follow instructions on http://www.swazoo.org/installation-squeak.html
>> and short explanation on http://www.swazoo.org/documentation.html.

> cool, but domain looks down?

It works again. Sorry, my mistake.

Best regards
Janko

Re: [ANN] Swazoo web server 2.0 beta released on Squeak

stephane ducasse
excellent!
Did you use tests (Sunit) for Swazoo development?
I think that your work is really important in the context of Comanche
now not really maintained.
Stef

On 6 juin 07, at 14:36, Janko Mivšek wrote:

> Dear Squeakers,
>
> I just finished a port of Swazoo to Squeak and a first beta is now
> available on SqueakSource (http://www.squeaksource.com/Swazoo).
>
> After installation you can start a simple 'Hello World' demo site.
> Follow instructions on http://www.swazoo.org/installation-squeak.html
> and short explanation on http://www.swazoo.org/documentation.html.
>
> To introduce it a bit: Swazoo (Smalltalk Web Application Zoo) is an
> open
> source, vendor agnostic, dialect neutral Smalltalk HTTP server with
> resource and web request resolution framework, a fruit of a first Camp
> Smalltalk 2000 in San Diego. Its main features are:
>
>     * HTTP 1.1 and virtual site support
>     * concept of hierarchical Resources allows pluggable addition
> of new
>       web resources like static page servers, wikis, dynamic web
>       frameworks like Seaside and Aida/Web
>     * clean web request resolution framework
>     * resource for static web serving
>
> I hope that Squeakers will find Swazoo useful and help us achieve its
> main goal: to become a web server of choice for all dialects of
> Smalltalk.
>
> Best regards
> Janko Mivšek
> maintainer of Swazoo
> http://www.swazoo.org

Re: [ANN] Swazoo web server 2.0 beta released on Squeak

Janko Mivšek
Stef, sorry for so late answer. I just overlooked your question somehow...

stephane ducasse wrote:
> excellent!
> Did you use tests (Sunit) for Swazoo development?
> I think that your work is really important in the context of Comanche
> now not really maintained.

Yes, and those tests actually helped me a lot during a Squeak port. So,
it seems that they are even useful :)

Best regards
Janko