[ANN] TDDFacilities

12

[ANN] TDDFacilities

hernan.wilkinson

Hi,
   I uploaded the project TDDFacilities to squeaksource for you to try it.

This package provides the following features:
   1. It allows to run/step tests from the browsers code panel. No need to save the method, it will save it automatically
   2. It disables the Notifier and goes directly to the Debugger
   3. It adds a new button to the debugger to create a method when doesNotUndertand is sent.
   4. The debugger's size is 3/4 of the screen by default
   5. It does not ask for unknown selectors or unused variables when a method is saved
   6. The OB test status is always updated, even when debugging a test

* To run a test from the code panel: ctr+t
* To step a test from the code panel: ctr+r

ATTENTION: TO EXECUTE THE TEST FROM THE CODE PANEL, YOU HAVE TO EVALUATE FIRST:
OBTextMorphEditorWithShout initialize

 When using the OTDebugger, The "Create Method" button sometimes generates another debugger. I could no find out why, so help from people that understand how the OTDebugger works will be appreciated.
 I hope you like it. Any questions just let me know.

Bye,
Hernan.

FFI problem

Benoit St-Jean
Anyone here using FFI (and possibly ODBC) with Pharo?

Trying the SUnit tests that comes with the package makes the VM crash.  BAM!  Quick & simple exit as soon as I run it!

-----------------
Benoit St-Jean
Yahoo! Messenger: bstjean
Blog: lamneth.wordpress.com
A standpoint is an intellectual horizon of radius zero.
(Albert Einstein)

Re: FFI problem

Mariano Martinez Peck

2009/6/26 Benoit St-Jean <[hidden email]>
Anyone here using FFI (and possibly ODBC) with Pharo?

Yes I am, in SqueakDBX. For latests Pharo images (closure images) you need FFI-Kernel-ar.9 (the latest FFI version). You can simply evaluate: ScriptLoader loadFFI.

Which OS are you using? I test it here in Windows and have the same results, the image crash. In Linux I think I don't have this problem.

Andres, do you know what can be the problem?

Anyway, FFI is working well (without taking in mind FFI tests). I have SqueakDBX perfectly working (and it uses FFI).

For ODBC: I can told you 2 things:

1) Search in this list because there was a topic about this in this week (http://n2.nabble.com/ODBC-on-Pharo--td3152288.html#a3152288) and there should be more.

2) You can try SqueakDBX instead of ODBC. It has not only an ODBC backend, but also Oracle, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Sqlite3 and MS SQLServer. It also works in Linux, Mac and Windows (depends on the database). And finally, when possible, we use asynchronous queries so that to lock the VM as little as possible. For further information, read our wiki: http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6052

Best,

Mariano

Trying the SUnit tests that comes with the package makes the VM crash.  BAM!  Quick & simple exit as soon as I run it!

-----------------
Benoit St-Jean
Yahoo! Messenger: bstjean
Blog: lamneth.wordpress.com
A standpoint is an intellectual horizon of radius zero.
(Albert Einstein)

Re: FFI problem

Benoit St-Jean
Microsoft Windows XP (Build 2600 Service Pack 3)
VM Version: Squeak 3.11.2 (alpha) from May 19 2009
Compiler: gcc 2.95.2 19991024 (release)

Current byte code: 205
Primitive index: 71

Loaded plugins:
    odbc32
    SqueakFFIPrims 6 March 2009 (e)
    Matrix2x3Plugin 6 March 2009 (i)
    FloatArrayPlugin 6 March 2009 (i)
    SocketPlugin 27 March 2009 (i)
    FT2Plugin 6 March 2009 (e)
    LargeIntegers v1.5 6 March 2009 (i)
    ZipPlugin 6 March 2009 (i)
    B2DPlugin 6 March 2009 (i)
    BitBltPlugin 6 March 2009 (i)
    SecurityPlugin 6 March 2009 (i)
    FilePlugin 6 March 2009 (i)
    MiscPrimitivePlugin 6 March 2009 (i)

-----------------

On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 7:41 PM, Andreas Raab <[hidden email]> wrote:
Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

2009/6/26 Benoit St-Jean <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>

   Anyone here using FFI (and possibly ODBC) with Pharo?

Yes I am, in SqueakDBX. For latests Pharo images (closure images) you need FFI-Kernel-ar.9 (the latest FFI version). You can simply evaluate: ScriptLoader loadFFI.

Which OS are you using? I test it here in Windows and have the same results, the image crash. In Linux I think I don't have this problem.

Andres, do you know what can be the problem?

Sorry, what was the question?

Download latest Windows VM  (Squeak 3.11.2) from Pharo webpage. Then evaluate ScriptLoader loadFFI and try to run FFI tests. The image will crash!

Thanks!

Mariano

Cheers,
 - Andreas

   Blog: lamneth.wordpress.com <http://lamneth.wordpress.com>

On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 6:15 PM, Andreas Raab <[hidden email]> wrote:
Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
Download latest Windows VM  (Squeak 3.11.2) from Pharo webpage. Then evaluate ScriptLoader loadFFI and try to run FFI tests. The image will crash!

Interesting. This appears to be a Pharo-only problem. I ran the FFI tests using the 3.11.2 VM on the current 3.10.2 release image and they works fine. I've also ran the test against a 3.10.2 closure converted image (on the off-chance that it might be closure related) and the tests pass too. So I don't really think it's an FFI problem. You'll probably have to ask Pharo people to help you with the problem; the FFI appears to be fully functional on both pre- and post-closure images.

Ok. Pharo people is in this mail. Let's wait if someone can help us. I don't know why in mi Windows machine the dump file is not generated :(

Benoit St-Jean can you attach the complete dump file?

I tried this in Linux and it doesn't crash my image. So, only windows :(

Cheers,

Mariano

Cheers,
 - Andreas

crash.dmp (2K) Download Attachment

Re: FFI problem

Mariano Martinez Peck
I crated the issue so that no to forget about it:

Best,

Mariano

On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 3:56 AM, Andreas Raab <[hidden email]> wrote:
Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
Ok. Pharo people is in this mail. Let's wait if someone can help us.

Please cc vm-dev on any responses. I'm not subscribed to the Pharo list.

I don't know why in mi Windows machine the dump file is not generated :(

It looks like the crash has two different ways of showing. In the first situation, it crashes with a recursive DNU. In the second, it actually does generate a crash dump (attached). The latter seems to happen when you try to step through the code.

Benoit St-Jean can you attach the complete dump file?

I tried this in Linux and it doesn't crash my image. So, only windows :(

Difficult to say. There is a good possibility that the problem is unrelated to the FFI since I have been completely unable to reproduce the problem elsewhere.

Cheers,
 - Andreas

Re: FFI problem

Mariano Martinez Peck
Andreas: can you see new comments here: http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=908

What do you think?

Thanks!

Mariano

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 12:26 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Stéphane Ducasse
Ok we will check the loadFFI in scriptLoader.

Stef

> Andreas: can you see new comments here: http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=908
>
> What do you think?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Mariano
>
> On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 12:26 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]
> > wrote:
> I crated the issue so that no to forget about it:

Re: FFI problem

Reported by Benoit St-Jean in mailing list. To reproduce it: Download
latest Windows VM (Squeak 3.11.2) from Pharo webpage. Then evaluate
ScriptLoader loadFFI and try to run FFI tests. The image will crash!
Tried in Linux and had no problem. There are crash2.dmp and crash.dmp
attached. One from Andreas and another from Benoit St-Jean.

Andreas Raab said: "Interesting. This appears to be a Pharo-only
problem. I ran the FFI tests using the 3.11.2 VM on the current 3.10.2
release image and they works fine. I've also ran the test against a
3.10.2 closure converted image (on the off-chance that it might be
closure related) and the tests pass too. So I don't really think it's
an FFI problem. You'll probably have to ask Pharo people to help you
with the problem; the FFI appears to be fully functional on both pre-
and post-closure images."
Comment 1 by [hidden email], Jul 04 (44 hours ago)
I thought I would take a look at this, but ScriptLoader loadFFI
doesn't work anymore. It would appear that this is because http://source.squeakfoundation.org/FFI
  no longer exists.
Delete comment
Comment 2 by marianopeck, Yesterday (35 hours ago)
You can download it from source.squeak.org now
Delete comment
Comment 3 by [hidden email], Yesterday (32 hours ago)
After loading from source.squeak.org and running the tests, I get
inconsistent results. Sometimes the image crashes; sometimes I get 1
error and 1 failure. Further investigation shows that FFI-Kernel-ar.
9.mcz has lost its postscript definition and so 'Smalltalk
recreateSpecialObjectsArray.' is not run when it is loaded/unloaded.
To ensure that it runs correctly, evaluate "Smalltalk
recreateSpecialObjectsArray." after loading .
Delete comment
Comment 4 by marianopeck, Today (14 hours ago)
Andrew: I don't know what "Smalltalk recreateSpecialObjectsArray." is,
but I evaluated that after loadFFI and tests worked perfect! What we
can change is the ScriptLoader>>loadFFI so that it does "Smalltalk
recreateSpecialObjectsArray." after installing FFI. What do you think?

Re: FFI problem

Mariano

I just published in Pharo a new ScriptLoader which I hope fix the
problem.
Could you check it?

Stef

On Jul 5, 2009, at 9:05 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Andreas: can you see new comments here: http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=908
>
> What do you think?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Mariano
>
> On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 12:26 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]
> > wrote:
> I crated the issue so that no to forget about it:

> Best,
>
> Mariano
>

> On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 3:56 AM, Andreas Raab <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
> Ok. Pharo people is in this mail. Let's wait if someone can help us.
>
> Please cc vm-dev on any responses. I'm not subscribed to the Pharo
> list.
>

> I don't know why in mi Windows machine the dump file is not
> generated :(
>
> It looks like the crash has two different ways of showing. In the
> first situation, it crashes with a recursive DNU. In the second, it
> actually does generate a crash dump (attached). The latter seems to
> happen when you try to step through the code.
>

> Benoit St-Jean can you attach the complete dump file?
>
> I tried this in Linux and it doesn't crash my image. So, only
> windows :(
>
> Difficult to say. There is a good possibility that the problem is
> unrelated to the FFI since I have been completely unable to
> reproduce the problem elsewhere.
>
> Cheers,
>  - Andreas

Re: FFI problem

Mariano Martinez Peck
Stef: Yes, it works. But, I have some questions:

1) Is it ok to have

self new installer monticello http: 'source.squeakfoundation.org';     ???

or it is just temp ? In addition, why was #squeakfundation removed ? this is because now all is here: source.squeakfoundation.org???   If so, we can create a method for this new repository...

2) I don't know what Smalltalk recreateSpecialObjectsArray.
But older version of FFI worked ok and also this version works ok in Linux...I don't understand why. Is there a logic here I cannot see ?
Is there a drawback in evaluating Smalltalk recreateSpecialObjectsArray. ?

Cheers,

Mariano

On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 8:01 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Mariano

I just published in Pharo a new ScriptLoader which I hope fix the
problem.
Could you check it?

Stef

On Jul 5, 2009, at 9:05 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Andreas: can you see new comments here: http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=908
>
> What do you think?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Mariano
>
> On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 12:26 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]
> > wrote:
> I crated the issue so that no to forget about it:

> Best,
>
> Mariano
>

> On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 3:56 AM, Andreas Raab <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
> Ok. Pharo people is in this mail. Let's wait if someone can help us.
>
> Please cc vm-dev on any responses. I'm not subscribed to the Pharo
> list.
>

> I don't know why in mi Windows machine the dump file is not
> generated :(
>
> It looks like the crash has two different ways of showing. In the
> first situation, it crashes with a recursive DNU. In the second, it
> actually does generate a crash dump (attached). The latter seems to
> happen when you try to step through the code.
>

> Benoit St-Jean can you attach the complete dump file?
>
> I tried this in Linux and it doesn't crash my image. So, only
> windows :(
>
> Difficult to say. There is a good possibility that the problem is
> unrelated to the FFI since I have been completely unable to
> reproduce the problem elsewhere.
>
> Cheers,
>  - Andreas

Re: FFI problem

Stéphane Ducasse

On Jul 7, 2009, at 11:20 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Stef: Yes, it works. But, I have some questions:
>
> 1) Is it ok to have
>
> self new installer monticello http:
> 'source.squeakfoundation.org';     ???
>
> or it is just temp ? In addition, why was #squeakfundation removed ?
> this is because now all is here: source.squeakfoundation.org???   If
> so, we can create a method for this new repository...

It is temporary.
First I would say that FFI should have a loader doing the
initialization properly.
Second we will probably have a new loader in the near future.

> 2) I don't know what Smalltalk recreateSpecialObjectsArray.

specialObjectsArray is an array known by the VM

> But older version of FFI worked ok and also this version works ok in
> Linux...I don't understand why.

I do not know :)

> Is there a logic here I cannot see ?
> Is there a drawback in evaluating Smalltalk
> recreateSpecialObjectsArray. ?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mariano
>
> On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 8:01 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]
> > wrote:
> Mariano
>
> I just published in Pharo a new ScriptLoader which I hope fix the
> problem.
> Could you check it?
>
> Stef
>
> On Jul 5, 2009, at 9:05 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>
> > Andreas: can you see new comments here: http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=908
> >
> > What do you think?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Mariano
> >
> > On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 12:26 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]
> > > wrote:
> > I crated the issue so that no to forget about it:
> >
> > http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=908
> >
> > Best,
> >
> > Mariano
> >

> > On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 3:56 AM, Andreas Raab <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> > Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
> > Ok. Pharo people is in this mail. Let's wait if someone can help us.
> >
> > Please cc vm-dev on any responses. I'm not subscribed to the Pharo
> > list.
> >

> > I don't know why in mi Windows machine the dump file is not
> > generated :(
> >
> > It looks like the crash has two different ways of showing. In the
> > first situation, it crashes with a recursive DNU. In the second, it
> > actually does generate a crash dump (attached). The latter seems to
> > happen when you try to step through the code.
> >

> > Benoit St-Jean can you attach the complete dump file?
> >
> > I tried this in Linux and it doesn't crash my image. So, only
> > windows :(
> >
> > Difficult to say. There is a good possibility that the problem is
> > unrelated to the FFI since I have been completely unable to
> > reproduce the problem elsewhere.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >  - Andreas

extended search -> senders of it (n) - defect?

Cameron Sanders-3
Having made some bozo statements lately, I am hesitant to even inquire
(because I am probably doing something dumb), but...

I noted an error in my code that read xxx isNumber ifNil: [...] and
figured that when I imported in from VisualWorks, I must have "fixed"
things too hastily. Wondering where else I may have made this error I
did the following on an iMac using the 10371web image recently posted:

In a workspace I typed and highlighted "ifNil:" --without the quotes
of course-- and selected "extended search...".
Then I selected "senders of it (n)", and to my surprise, not my
erroneous method was not displayed in the results. Ten (10) methods
turn up in the results, and some of them are not actually senders of
it; the non-senders may include the pattern in an array, or as a
substring of some symbol.

Is this a known defect? Previously (from images two months ago and
less) this searching worked as expected.

A search of the defect db, using only the word "senders", gave me this
(semi-related) issue:
http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=261&q=senders&colspec=ID%20Type%20Status%20Summary%20Milestone

Thanks in advance,
Cam

Re: FFI problem

Mariano Martinez Peck
Ok, now you can close http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=908

in 10372

On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 6:26 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Jul 7, 2009, at 11:20 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Stef: Yes, it works. But, I have some questions:
>
> 1) Is it ok to have
>
> self new installer monticello http:
> 'source.squeakfoundation.org';     ???
>
> or it is just temp ? In addition, why was #squeakfundation removed ?
> this is because now all is here: source.squeakfoundation.org???   If
> so, we can create a method for this new repository...

It is temporary.
First I would say that FFI should have a loader doing the
initialization properly.

Second we will probably have a new loader in the near future.

> 2) I don't know what Smalltalk recreateSpecialObjectsArray.

specialObjectsArray is an array known by the VM

> But older version of FFI worked ok and also this version works ok in
> Linux...I don't understand why.

I do not know :)

> Is there a logic here I cannot see ?
> Is there a drawback in evaluating Smalltalk
> recreateSpecialObjectsArray. ?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mariano
>
> On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 8:01 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]
> > wrote:
> Mariano
>
> I just published in Pharo a new ScriptLoader which I hope fix the
> problem.
> Could you check it?
>
> Stef
>
> On Jul 5, 2009, at 9:05 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>
> > Andreas: can you see new comments here: http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=908
> >
> > What do you think?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Mariano
> >
> > On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 12:26 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]
> > > wrote:
> > I crated the issue so that no to forget about it:
> >
> > http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=908
> >
> > Best,
> >
> > Mariano
> >

> > On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 3:56 AM, Andreas Raab <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> > Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
> > Ok. Pharo people is in this mail. Let's wait if someone can help us.
> >
> > Please cc vm-dev on any responses. I'm not subscribed to the Pharo
> > list.
> >

> > I don't know why in mi Windows machine the dump file is not
> > generated :(
> >
> > It looks like the crash has two different ways of showing. In the
> > first situation, it crashes with a recursive DNU. In the second, it
> > actually does generate a crash dump (attached). The latter seems to
> > happen when you try to step through the code.
> >

> > Benoit St-Jean can you attach the complete dump file?
> >
> > I tried this in Linux and it doesn't crash my image. So, only
> > windows :(
> >
> > Difficult to say. There is a good possibility that the problem is
> > unrelated to the FFI since I have been completely unable to
> > reproduce the problem elsewhere.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >  - Andreas

Re: extended search -> senders of it (n) - defect?

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 6:32 PM, Cameron Sanders <[hidden email]> wrote:
Having made some bozo statements lately, I am hesitant to even inquire
(because I am probably doing something dumb), but...

I noted an error in my code that read xxx isNumber ifNil: [...] and
figured that when I imported in from VisualWorks, I must have "fixed"
things too hastily. Wondering where else I may have made this error I
did the following on an iMac using the 10371web image recently posted:

In a workspace I typed and highlighted "ifNil:" --without the quotes
of course-- and selected "extended search...".
Then I selected "senders of it (n)", and to my surprise, not my
erroneous method was not displayed in the results. Ten (10) methods
turn up in the results, and some of them are not actually senders of
it; the non-senders may include the pattern in an array, or as a
substring of some symbol.

can you give us a concrete example?

In my opinion, if you have a symbol with that text, it must be found by "senders of it". In VAST it is like that.
So, if you have #ifNil:   for me it is correct to be found.

best,

Mariano

Is this a known defect? Previously (from images two months ago and
less) this searching worked as expected.

A search of the defect db, using only the word "senders", gave me this
(semi-related) issue:
http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=261&q=sendeifNilrs&colspec=ID%20Type%20Status%20Summary%20Milestone

Thanks in advance,
Cam

Re: FFI problem

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 10:04 PM, Andreas Raab <[hidden email]> wrote:
Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
Andreas: can you see new comments here: http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=908

What do you think?

Close, but not quite right ;-) The problem with your theory is that Smalltalk recreateSpecialObjectsArray is specifically called from a postscript in FFI-Kernel so there shouldn't be a problem with it.

Unless of course there is something wrong with Monticello in Pharo ... let me see. Yup. Looks like that's it. I just added a halt to recreateSpecialObjectsArray then used ScriptLoader loadFFI and it's just not being called.

It would be interesting to see if the postscript is executed when you load the FFI on your Unix machine (the one where you said it didn't crash).

Thanks Andreas.

I tried in Linux and recreateSpecialObjectsArray  is not called when evaluating ScriptLoader loadFFI.

I attach 3 files:

- FFIFirstTime.png    The results of FFI tests after evaluating ScriptLoader loadFFI

- FFISecondTime.png   The results of executing again FFI tests

- FFIAfterRecreate:    The results of executing the test after evaluating recreateSpecialObjectsArray (manually).

Any idea?

Cheers,

Mariano

In any case, looks like I was right and it isn't an FFI problem but rather a problem with Monticello. The workaround with the explicit recreateSpecialObjectsArray will work but of course any other packages that use postscripts will likely have similar issues.

On Jul 7, 2009, at 7:39 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote (below my original text):
can you give us a concrete example?

In my opinion, if you have a symbol with that text, it must be found by "senders of it". In VAST it is like that.
So, if you have #ifNil:   for me it is correct to be found.

best,

Mariano

What you say makes sense for performance reasons. I just picked through those 10 methods more carefully, and they each contain the symbol #ifNil:, so the one error I thought I was seeing (of a match for a pattern of xxxIfNil:) is not what is causing them to be found. So, I'm glad you asked, as that forced me to recheck that aspect. Should it be called "search->methods referencing symbol (n)" or something -- I don't care about pesky details like that.

What matters to me is the failure to find my references/sends:

My broken method (FaTableAccessor>>columnAt:) is just one of *many* places I have used #ifNil:, and is NOT being found.

The search is only finding 10 methods in the entire system (in the classes Decompiler, MessageNode, MethodFinder, OCompletionTable, PSUIManager, RBMessageNode, RBProgramNode) that reference the symbol #ifNil:.

Previously, this feature has worked for me as expected (to the best of my knowledge). But I can't guarantee that I have ever searched for #ifNil:.

I just searched for collect:, and that turned up a more reasonable 1092 methods, some of which are mine. I am surprised there are not more uses of it, but at least it is a more credible number than "10". So maybe it is just something weird for the symbol ifNil:, which I can live with; that would make this a low priority issue, assuming it is working for most other symbols pretty well.

Recap: I am selecting "ifNil:" (without the quotes) in a workspace, and using "extended search"->"senders of it (n)"; this is failing to find methods of mine that include the symbol (as a selector).

Happy Hunting,
Cam

2009/7/7 Cameron Sanders <[hidden email]>
On Jul 7, 2009, at 7:39 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote (below my original text):
can you give us a concrete example?

In my opinion, if you have a symbol with that text, it must be found by "senders of it". In VAST it is like that.
So, if you have #ifNil:   for me it is correct to be found.

best,

Mariano

What you say makes sense for performance reasons. I just picked through those 10 methods more carefully, and they each contain the symbol #ifNil:, so the one error I thought I was seeing (of a match for a pattern of xxxIfNil:) is not what is causing them to be found. So, I'm glad you asked, as that forced me to recheck that aspect. Should it be called "search->methods referencing symbol (n)" or something -- I don't care about pesky details like that.

You are welcome.

[...]

Perhaps a lot of people does isNil ifTrue: instead of ifNil:  hahaha

Recap: I am selecting "ifNil:" (without the quotes) in a workspace, and using "extended search"->"senders of it (n)"; this is failing to find methods of mine that include the symbol (as a selector).

Can you give me an example of your code that containg ifNil: and that's is not being found ? just to test it here.

cheers,

Mariano

Happy Hunting,
Cam