[ANN] TruffleSqueak 20.1.0 released

fniephaus
Hi all,

I'd like to officially announce the first stable release of
TruffleSqueak [1], a Squeak/Smalltalk VM and Polyglot Programming
Environment for the GraalVM [2]. As some of you know, we at HPI [3]
have been working on this for quite a while and open-sourced it a few
weeks after our presentation at ESUG'19 [4].

The virtual machine is implemented in Truffle [5], GraalVM's
Java-based language implementation framework. The image has direct
access to GraalVM's language interoperability protocol [6] and based
on this, we have adapted the workspace and inspection tools so that
they work consistently for objects from Javascript, Python, R, Ruby,
and all other languages supported by GraalVM. In addition, the image
comes with our polyglot notebook system [7] and a polyglot code editor
[8]. You may also find our paper on TruffleSqueak (formerly
GraalSqueak) [9] and our blog post on "Smalltalk with the GraalVM"
[10] an interesting read. Nonetheless, please keep in mind that
TruffleSqueak is a research project, so there will be bugs (please
report them at [11]) and things left to do (feedback is welcome!).

You can follow TruffleSqueak on Twitter [12] for more updates. On June
24, I'm also going to talk about TruffleSqueak in the UK Smalltalk
User Group meeting [13], and you are invited to join us.

Lastly, I’d like to thank everyone who has contributed to
TruffleSqueak and I'm excited to see what you’re going to do with it.

Fabio

[1] https://github.com/hpi-swa/trufflesqueak
[2] https://www.graalvm.org
[3] https://hpi.de/swa
[4] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAk3Ec8hmzk
[5] https://github.com/oracle/graal/tree/master/truffle
[6] https://www.graalvm.org/truffle/javadoc/com/oracle/truffle/api/interop/InteropLibrary.html
[7] https://doi.org/10.1145/3328433.3328434
[8] https://medium.com/graalvm/hpi-polyglot-programming-seminar-3fd06ffa59d2
[9] https://doi.org/10.1145/3357390.3361024
[10] https://www.javaadvent.com/2019/12/smalltalk-with-the-graalvm.html
[11] https://github.com/hpi-swa/trufflesqueak/issues
[12] https://twitter.com/TruffleSqueak/
[13] https://www.meetup.com/UKSTUG/events/cbklbrybcjbgc/

Re: [ANN] TruffleSqueak 20.1.0 released

Jerry Kott-3
Fabio,

this is very exciting! I saw your presentation at ESUG. It was absolutely jaw dropping, and definitely one of the highlights of last year’s conference. Please accept my sincere congratulations! I am also excited to see what people will do with it.

Well done!

Jerry Kott, OSCP

Security with Integrity. By Choice. By Design.

This message has been digitally signed.
PGP Fingerprint:
A9181736DD2F1B6CC7CF9E51AC8514F48C0979A5