[ANN] Updated SQLite3 wrapper project based on NB

[ANN] Updated SQLite3 wrapper project based on NB

Torsten Bergmann
Some of you may already have noticed that it is already available but there
was not yet a formal announcement, so here it is:

There is a new way/project to work with the SQLite3 embeddable database.
While in the past there was already a SQLite wrapper project for Pharo based
on FFI this one is based on NativeBoost and also has some support for Glorp.

The "NBSQLite3 for Pharo" is a project to provide an API and access to the
SQLite3 database from within the Pharo image. With this tool you can use the
small relational SQL engine into own Pharo projects.

The project page is located on http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~PharoExtras/NBSQLite3

More details can be found on the project page or on blog posts of PierceNg (the
orginal author):  http://www.samadhiweb.com/blog

The project is now additionally refactored, supported with green tests, documented,
split in seperate loadable packages and moved to the PharoExtras team at STHub. A
Metacello configuration for Pharo 4 is ready in the Pharo 4 configuration browser.

If you like you can help to test on/adopt to different platforms (at a minimum known
to work on Windows) or improve it further.

Have fun
Pierce and T.

Re: [ANN] Updated SQLite3 wrapper project based on NB

Guillermo Polito
Hi Torsten,

With some students from the university of Lille we added a jenkins job for this driver in the DBXTalk infrastructure.

It is testing a matrix combining stable/bleedingEdge, pharo3/4, ubuntu/windows.

Hope this is useful ^^,
Guille

Pierce and T.

Yes, very helpful, I added it to the project docu on http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~PharoExtras/NBSQLite3

>It is testing a matrix combining stable/bleedingEdge, pharo3/4, ubuntu/windows.

Mhhh....only dbxtalk-windows-32bit + Pharo 4 is green. That's the one I use and test.

In Pharo 3.0 one test fails ("NBCharacterType class>>trimRight" is missing), but who cares about
such an old and outdated image when one can use the already shiny and improved Pharo 4.0 ;)

>Hope this is useful ^^,

For sure!

BTW: Meanwhile I additionally fixed encoding issues between SQLite3 (UTF-8 storage format) and Pharo
(Multibyte characters). Updated version is available in config browser of Pharo 4.0

Thx
T.

El Tue Jan 20 2015 at 4:37:43 PM, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> escribió:

>It is testing a matrix combining stable/bleedingEdge, pharo3/4, ubuntu/windows.

Mhhh....only dbxtalk-windows-32bit + Pharo 4 is green. That's the one I use and test.

Well, ubuntu jobs look strange, I should have a look at it. It fails because:

ioFindExternalFunctionIn(sqlite3_close_v2, 0x87f9b78):
  ./sqlite3.so: undefined symbol: sqlite3_close_v2

But that is the only failing function... Maybe there is a problem with the sqlite version I had in the server's ubuntu...

BTW: Meanwhile I additionally fixed encoding issues between SQLite3 (UTF-8 storage format) and Pharo
(Multibyte characters). Updated version is available in config browser of Pharo 4.0

Cool!

Thx
T.

Re: [ANN] Updated SQLite3 wrapper project based on NB

Torsten Bergmann
>It fails because:

>ioFindExternalFunctionIn(sqlite3_close_v2, 0x87f9b78):
>  ./sqlite3.so: undefined symbol: sqlite3_close_v2

Maybe you installed an older one, there are two variations for
closing the DB:

  int sqlite3_close(sqlite3*);
  int sqlite3_close_v2(sqlite3*);

See https://www.sqlite.org/c3ref/close.html

Maybe you have an outdated lib with only the first one?

Thx
T.

Re: [ANN] Updated SQLite3 wrapper project based on NB

Guillermo Polito
Yes, I was googling exactly that ^^. I will check when I have some time.

Maybe the problem comes from the installed ubuntu in the server, which is an ubuntu12 (it will be two and a half years old soon).