[ANN] Updating a Pharo image is now possible

[ANN] Updating a Pharo image is now possible

Damien Cassou
Hi,

just wanted to say that updating a Pharo image seems to work ok now.
I've removed the overrides in some packages.

However, remember that the update mechanism only updates Core
packages, not packages listed in
http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/Packages. This could be possible
but has not been done yet. What do you think about that?

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

popular by not having them." James Iry

Re: [ANN] Updating a Pharo image is now possible

Stéphane Ducasse
good steps in the right direction.
 From an integration point of view I would like to enhance
scriptloader to perform the steps I mentioned
in the other emails.

stef

On Aug 8, 2009, at 12:18 PM, Damien Cassou wrote:

> Hi,
>
> just wanted to say that updating a Pharo image seems to work ok now.
> I've removed the overrides in some packages.
>
> However, remember that the update mechanism only updates Core
> packages, not packages listed in
> http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/Packages. This could be possible
> but has not been done yet. What do you think about that?
>
> --
> Damien Cassou
> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
>
> "Lambdas are relegated to relative obscurity until Java makes them
> popular by not having them." James Iry

Re: [ANN] Updating a Pharo image is now possible

Stan Shepherd
Hi, I get Error: can't find EOCD position, during load of
'System-Support-stephane_ducasse.28.mcz'

eocdPosition = 0

Full walkback is attached.

Cheers,   ...Stan

eocdwalkback (29K) Download Attachment

Re: [ANN] Updating a Pharo image is now possible

Damien Cassou
Please remove this file from the package-cache directory and try again.

2009/8/8 stan shepherd <[hidden email]>:

> Hi, I get Error: can't find EOCD position, during load of
> 'System-Support-stephane_ducasse.28.mcz'
>
> eocdPosition = 0
>

> Full walkback is attached.
>
> Cheers,   ...Stan
>
> 2009/8/8 Damien Cassou <[hidden email]>:
>> Hi,
>>
>> just wanted to say that updating a Pharo image seems to work ok now.
>> I've removed the overrides in some packages.
>>
>> However, remember that the update mechanism only updates Core
>> packages, not packages listed in
>> http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/Packages. This could be possible
>> but has not been done yet. What do you think about that?
>>
>> --
>> Damien Cassou
>> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
>>
>> "Lambdas are relegated to relative obscurity until Java makes them
>> popular by not having them." James Iry

Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

popular by not having them." James Iry

Re: [ANN] Updating a Pharo image is now possible

Stan Shepherd
Hi Damien, it gives the same error on
'Morphic-adrian_lienhard.345.mcz'. And it seems **very** slow, ie
running for hours. Is that expected?

Cheers,   ...Stan

2009/8/8 Damien Cassou <[hidden email]>:

> Please remove this file from the package-cache directory and try again.
>
> 2009/8/8 stan shepherd <[hidden email]>:
>> Hi, I get Error: can't find EOCD position, during load of
>> 'System-Support-stephane_ducasse.28.mcz'
>>
>> eocdPosition = 0
>>

>> Full walkback is attached.
>>
>> Cheers,   ...Stan
>>
>> 2009/8/8 Damien Cassou <[hidden email]>:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> just wanted to say that updating a Pharo image seems to work ok now.
>>> I've removed the overrides in some packages.
>>>
>>> However, remember that the update mechanism only updates Core
>>> packages, not packages listed in
>>> http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/Packages. This could be possible
>>> but has not been done yet. What do you think about that?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Damien Cassou
>>> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
>>>
>>> "Lambdas are relegated to relative obscurity until Java makes them
>>> popular by not having them." James Iry

> Damien Cassou
> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
>
> "Lambdas are relegated to relative obscurity until Java makes them
> popular by not having them." James Iry

Re: [ANN] Updating a Pharo image is now possible

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 5:37 AM, stan shepherd <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Damien, it gives the same error on
'Morphic-adrian_lienhard.345.mcz'. And it seems **very** slow, ie
running for hours. Is that expected?

I don't think so. In make case, when it takes a hours is because there is Nod32 activated ;)
You must exclude Squeak folders from Nod32.

Cheers,   ...Stan

2009/8/8 Damien Cassou <[hidden email]>:
> Please remove this file from the package-cache directory and try again.
>
> 2009/8/8 stan shepherd <[hidden email]>:
>> Hi, I get Error: can't find EOCD position, during load of
>> 'System-Support-stephane_ducasse.28.mcz'
>>
>> eocdPosition = 0
>>

>> Full walkback is attached.
>>
>> Cheers,   ...Stan
>>
>> 2009/8/8 Damien Cassou <[hidden email]>:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> just wanted to say that updating a Pharo image seems to work ok now.
>>> I've removed the overrides in some packages.
>>>
>>> However, remember that the update mechanism only updates Core
>>> packages, not packages listed in
>>> http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/Packages. This could be possible
>>> but has not been done yet. What do you think about that?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Damien Cassou
>>> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
>>>
>>> "Lambdas are relegated to relative obscurity until Java makes them
>>> popular by not having them." James Iry

> Damien Cassou
> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
>
> "Lambdas are relegated to relative obscurity until Java makes them
> popular by not having them." James Iry

Re: [ANN] Updating a Pharo image is now possible

Stan Shepherd
Mariano Martinez Peck wrote
<stan.shepherd414@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Damien, it gives the same error on
> 'Morphic-adrian_lienhard.345.mcz'. And it seems **very** slow, ie
> running for hours. Is that expected?

I don't think so. In make case, when it takes a hours is because there is
Nod32 activated ;)
You must exclude Squeak folders from Nod32.
I don't think so- it's all Linux here. I gather Nod32 is a Windows antivirus.

Cheers,   ...Stan

Re: [ANN] Updating a Pharo image is now possible

Douglas Brebner
Stan Shepherd wrote:

> Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 5:37 AM, stan shepherd
>> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>>

>>> Hi Damien, it gives the same error on
>>> 'Morphic-adrian_lienhard.345.mcz'. And it seems **very** slow, ie
>>> running for hours. Is that expected?
>>>
>> I don't think so. In make case, when it takes a hours is because there is
>> Nod32 activated ;)
>> You must exclude Squeak folders from Nod32.
>>

> I don't think so- it's all Linux here. I gather Nod32 is a Windows
> antivirus.

Are you using it on a network drive? That can be horrifically slow too

Re: [ANN] Updating a Pharo image is now possible

Stan Shepherd
Douglas Brebner wrote
Stan Shepherd wrote:
> Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 5:37 AM, stan shepherd
>> <stan.shepherd414@gmail.com>wrote:
>>

>>> Hi Damien, it gives the same error on
>>> 'Morphic-adrian_lienhard.345.mcz'. And it seems **very** slow, ie
>>> running for hours. Is that expected?
>>>
>> I don't think so. In make case, when it takes a hours is because there is
>> Nod32 activated ;)
>> You must exclude Squeak folders from Nod32.
>>

> I don't think so- it's all Linux here. I gather Nod32 is a Windows
> antivirus.

Are you using it on a network drive? That can be horrifically slow too
It's right here on my machine - which is quite well speced. I do have a firewall at the router, and OenDNS as the DNS server. I also still had Seaside running while updating - is that an issue?

Stan Shepherd wrote:

> Douglas Brebner wrote:
>
>> Stan Shepherd wrote:

>>> I don't think so- it's all Linux here. I gather Nod32 is a Windows
>>> antivirus.
>>>

>> Are you using it on a network drive? That can be horrifically slow too
>>

> It's right here on my machine - which is quite well speced. I do have a
> firewall at the router, and OenDNS as the DNS server. I also still had
> Seaside running while updating - is that an issue?

It's just that loading packages do *lot* of small accesses to the
changes+sources files so if they're on a network drive it's possible to
get round trip latency on every access. When I moved my files from a
network drive to a local one, loading a package could go from 20+
minutes to less than one.

Re: [ANN] Updating a Pharo image is now possible

Normally not
this is strange.

Stef