[ANN]Upgrade Policy for Dolphin 5.0

Andy Bower
Folks,

We had hoped to be able to release the next version of Dolphin Smalltalk
(version 5.0) by the end of 2001 but, unfortunately, it has not been
possible to meet this date. We are now aiming for a release sometime in
February 2002.

In the meantime, we know that a number of you have been waiting for 5.0
before purchasing your copy of Dolphin. In order that you can get started on
your Smalltalk projects immediately we have decided to offer to upgrade to
those who purchase (or have purchased) Dolphin 4 Standard or Professional
Editions after 1st January 2002 to version 5.0 free of charge as soon as it
becomes available. Since our prices are set to rise slightly once 5.0 is
released, buying now is even better value.

Please note that this offer DOES NOT APPLY to purchases of Dolphin 4.0 Value
Edition either from our website or via Ted's book, The Dolphin Smalltalk
Companion.

Best Regards,

Andy Bower
Object Arts Ltd.
http://www.object-arts.com
---
Are you trying too hard?
http://www.object-arts.com/Relax.htm
---

Re: [ANN]Upgrade Policy for Dolphin 5.0

Paul Hudson
"Andy Bower" <[hidden email]> wrote in news:a1fcu5$qei9r$1@ID-
51044.news.dfncis.de:

> Since our prices are set to rise slightly once 5.0 is
> released, buying now is even better value.

I don't expect "free of charge" but any news on the ugrade cost for those of us who bought
version 4 ages ago? (Very soon after it came out, in my case).

P.

Re: [ANN]Upgrade Policy for Dolphin 5.0

Andreas Timmermann-2
> [...] offer to upgrade to
> those who purchase (or have purchased) Dolphin 4 Standard or Professional
> Editions after 1st January 2002 to version 5.0 free of charge as soon as
it
> becomes available. Since our prices are set to rise slightly once 5.0 is
> released, buying now is even better value.

What's cheaper: an upgrade from Standard to Prof now or from Standard to 5.0
Professional later?

Re: [ANN]Upgrade Policy for Dolphin 5.0

Andy Bower
Andreas,

> > Since our prices are set to rise slightly once 5.0 is
> > released, buying now is even better value.
>
> What's cheaper: an upgrade from Standard to Prof now or from Standard to
5.0
> Professional later?

Standard to Professional now.

Best Regards,

Andy Bower
Dolphin Support
http://www.object-arts.com
---
Are you trying too hard?
http://www.object-arts.com/Relax.htm
---

Re: [ANN]Upgrade Policy for Dolphin 5.0

Ravi
Andy,

"Andy Bower" <[hidden email]> wrote in message news:<a1fcu5$qei9r$[hidden email]>...

> ..
> In the meantime, we know that a number of you have been waiting for 5.0
> before purchasing your copy of Dolphin. In order that you can get started on
> your Smalltalk projects immediately we have decided to offer to upgrade to
> those who purchase (or have purchased) Dolphin 4 Standard or Professional
> Editions after 1st January 2002 to version 5.0 free of charge as soon as it
> becomes available. Since our prices are set to rise slightly once 5.0 is
> released, buying now is even better value.
> ..

Thanks for the great news!!!
I'm going to get meself a new year gift before this month is over!!! :-)))

Best Regards,
Ravi

Re: [ANN]Upgrade Policy for Dolphin 5.0

Jon Hylands
On Tue, 8 Jan 2002 18:11:40 -0000, "Andy Bower" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> In the meantime, we know that a number of you have been waiting for 5.0
> before purchasing your copy of Dolphin. In order that you can get started on
> your Smalltalk projects immediately we have decided to offer to upgrade to
> those who purchase (or have purchased) Dolphin 4 Standard or Professional
> Editions after 1st January 2002 to version 5.0 free of charge as soon as it
> becomes available. Since our prices are set to rise slightly once 5.0 is
> released, buying now is even better value.

Andy,

I purchased the 3.0 ADK about 2 years ago. I'm about to start another
project, and want to get the 5.0 professional.

If I upgrade from the 3.0 ADK to the 4.0 Professional (which looks like
$235), can I get the 5.0 free upgrade when it comes out?

Later,
Jon

   Jon Hylands      [hidden email]      http://www.huv.com/jon

           http://www.huv.com

Re: [ANN]Upgrade Policy for Dolphin 5.0

Andy Bower
Jon,

> I purchased the 3.0 ADK about 2 years ago. I'm about to start another
> project, and want to get the 5.0 professional.
>
> If I upgrade from the 3.0 ADK to the 4.0 Professional (which looks like
> $235), can I get the 5.0 free upgrade when it comes out?

Yes.

Indeed, it would be advisable to upgrade now because it is likely that
direct upgrades from Dolphin 3.x -> 5.0 will not be available. Upgrading
from 3.x -> 4.0 now will secure you 5.0 at a preferential price.

Best Regards,

Andy Bower
Dolphin Support
http://www.object-arts.com
---
Are you trying too hard?
http://www.object-arts.com/Relax.htm
---

Re: [ANN]Upgrade Policy for Dolphin 5.0

Stefan Schmiedl
While talking about upgrades ...

Is there a facility somewhere so that I can order my upgrade
while I still have some money in my bank account?

and what about making some more XL-T-Shirts the next time?

s.

On Sun, 13 Jan 2002 12:58:12 -0000, Andy Bower <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Indeed, it would be advisable to upgrade now because it is likely that
> direct upgrades from Dolphin 3.x -> 5.0 will not be available. Upgrading
> from 3.x -> 4.0 now will secure you 5.0 at a preferential price.

Re: [ANN]Upgrade Policy for Dolphin 5.0

Peter Goodall-4
In article <a21c3p$tqjm4$[hidden email]>, [hidden email] says...
> While talking about upgrades ...
[...]

So Andy, is there some way I can upgrade from 4.x without being
penalized for buying it early? The sooner you get money the better -
right? So the current strategy encourages purchasing as late as
possible.

The Australian dollar is about 50c US. From experience I work as hard
for $1AUD in Oz, as I did for $1USD in the US. So it hurts. I just
don't want to be priced out of the market.

Can I have a competitive upgrade from Smalltalk V/DOS :-)

--Regards,
  Peter Goodall