[ANN] Utilisation of Famix without Moose in Moose 6.

[ANN] Utilisation of Famix without Moose in Moose 6.

CyrilFerlicot
Hi,

As we talked in another thread I tried to look at the configuration of
Moose to be able to load Famix without every Moose tool (Glamour, Roassal…).

As Stephan said, since Famix is an inactive project for now groups are
enough to manage Famix. So I made some groups to be able to get only
Famix and the moose packages needed by famix.

There is 3 groups:
- Famix (Which is only the two following groups together)
- Famix-Without-Test
- Famix-Tests

So if you have a Tool that use Famix but not Moose tools you can had
this dependency:

spec project: 'Famix' with: [
    spec
        className: #ConfigurationOfMoose;
        versionString: #development;
        loads: #( #'Famix' );
        repository: 'http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/Moose/Moose/main' ].

The only problem during the loading is about MalGraphBuilderStrategy
that is missing, but this was already the case in Moose.

I hope this will help you.

--
Cyril Ferlicot

http://www.synectique.eu

165 Avenue Bretagne
Lille 59000 France

Re: [ANN] Utilisation of Famix without Moose in Moose 6.

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

Thanks.

However, please let’s redo this. I do not want to have groups in the ConfigurationOfMoose. I know some people have a different, but groups are difficult to manage, and in our case, we certainly need explicit artifacts that should be modeled with configurations.

Cheers,
Doru

> On May 2, 2016, at 10:58 AM, Cyril Ferlicot Delbecque <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> As we talked in another thread I tried to look at the configuration of
> Moose to be able to load Famix without every Moose tool (Glamour, Roassal…).
>
> As Stephan said, since Famix is an inactive project for now groups are
> enough to manage Famix. So I made some groups to be able to get only
> Famix and the moose packages needed by famix.
>
> There is 3 groups:
> - Famix (Which is only the two following groups together)
> - Famix-Without-Test
> - Famix-Tests
>
> So if you have a Tool that use Famix but not Moose tools you can had
> this dependency:
>
> spec project: 'Famix' with: [
>    spec
>        className: #ConfigurationOfMoose;
>        versionString: #development;
>        loads: #( #'Famix' );
>        repository: 'http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/Moose/Moose/main' ].
>
> The only problem during the loading is about MalGraphBuilderStrategy
> that is missing, but this was already the case in Moose.
>
> I hope this will help you.
>
> --
> Cyril Ferlicot
>
> http://www.synectique.eu
>
> 165 Avenue Bretagne
> Lille 59000 France

www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"It's not how it is, it is how we see it."

Re: [ANN] Utilisation of Famix without Moose in Moose 6.

stepharo
+ 1

> Hi,
>
> Thanks.
>
> However, please let’s redo this. I do not want to have groups in the ConfigurationOfMoose. I know some people have a different, but groups are difficult to manage, and in our case, we certainly need explicit artifacts that should be modeled with configurations.
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

>> On May 2, 2016, at 10:58 AM, Cyril Ferlicot Delbecque <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> As we talked in another thread I tried to look at the configuration of
>> Moose to be able to load Famix without every Moose tool (Glamour, Roassal…).
>>
>> As Stephan said, since Famix is an inactive project for now groups are
>> enough to manage Famix. So I made some groups to be able to get only
>> Famix and the moose packages needed by famix.
>>
>> There is 3 groups:
>> - Famix (Which is only the two following groups together)
>> - Famix-Without-Test
>> - Famix-Tests
>>
>> So if you have a Tool that use Famix but not Moose tools you can had
>> this dependency:
>>
>> spec project: 'Famix' with: [
>>     spec
>>         className: #ConfigurationOfMoose;
>>         versionString: #development;
>>         loads: #( #'Famix' );
>>         repository: 'http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/Moose/Moose/main' ].
>>
>> The only problem during the loading is about MalGraphBuilderStrategy
>> that is missing, but this was already the case in Moose.
>>
>> I hope this will help you.
>>
>> --
>> Cyril Ferlicot
>>
>> http://www.synectique.eu
>>
>> 165 Avenue Bretagne
>> Lille 59000 France

> www.tudorgirba.com
> www.feenk.com
>
> "It's not how it is, it is how we see it."

Re: [ANN] Utilisation of Famix without Moose in Moose 6.

abergel
+1

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Le 02/05/2016 à 14:05, Tudor Girba a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> Thanks.
>
> However, please let’s redo this. I do not want to have groups in the ConfigurationOfMoose. I know some people have a different, but groups are difficult to manage, and in our case, we certainly need explicit artifacts that should be modeled with configurations.
>
> Cheers,
> Doru

Hi,

If I choose groups it's because there is no maintainer of Famix. If we
create a configurationOfFamix nobody will maintain it through the next
versions of Pharo/Moose. I can take the time to make Famix loadable
without Moose now, but I will not have the time to maintain it in the
future.

I think it should be promoted as Configuration if someone work on Famix
and maintain it.

--
Cyril Ferlicot

http://www.synectique.eu

165 Avenue Bretagne
Lille 59000 France

Re: [ANN] Utilisation of Famix without Moose in Moose 6.

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

I am the maintainer of FAMIX.

Doru

> On Jul 3, 2016, at 12:20 PM, Cyril Ferlicot D. <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Le 02/05/2016 à 14:05, Tudor Girba a écrit :
>> Hi,
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> However, please let’s redo this. I do not want to have groups in the ConfigurationOfMoose. I know some people have a different, but groups are difficult to manage, and in our case, we certainly need explicit artifacts that should be modeled with configurations.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>

> Hi,
>
> If I choose groups it's because there is no maintainer of Famix. If we
> create a configurationOfFamix nobody will maintain it through the next
> versions of Pharo/Moose. I can take the time to make Famix loadable
> without Moose now, but I will not have the time to maintain it in the
> future.
>
> I think it should be promoted as Configuration if someone work on Famix
> and maintain it.
>
> --
> Cyril Ferlicot
>
> http://www.synectique.eu
>
> 165 Avenue Bretagne
> Lille 59000 France

www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"When people care, great things can happen."

Re: [ANN] Utilisation of Famix without Moose in Moose 6.

Stephan Eggermont-3
On 02-05-16 14:05, Tudor Girba wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks.
>
> However, please let’s redo this. I do not want to have groups in the ConfigurationOfMoose. I know some people have a different, but groups are difficult to manage, and in our case, we certainly need explicit artifacts that should be modeled with configurations.

The problem is that nothing we have now provides an alternative for groups
and the situation with many configurations and no groups has shown to be
a lot worse. We need first-class groups

Stephan

Re: [ANN] Utilisation of Famix without Moose in Moose 6.

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

> On Jul 3, 2016, at 12:47 PM, Stephan Eggermont <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 02-05-16 14:05, Tudor Girba wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> However, please let’s redo this. I do not want to have groups in the ConfigurationOfMoose. I know some people have a different, but groups are difficult to manage, and in our case, we certainly need explicit artifacts that should be modeled with configurations.
>
> The problem is that nothing we have now provides an alternative for groups
> and the situation with many configurations and no groups has shown to be
> a lot worse. We need first-class groups

I still do not see where this was proven so. We manage the GT configuration like this since quite some time and it worked until now better than with groups.

Could you be more specific?

Cheers,
Doru

> Stephan

www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"Every thing should have the right to be different."

Re: [ANN] Utilisation of Famix without Moose in Moose 6.

Stephan Eggermont-3

Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPad

> Op 3 jul. 2016 om 12:56 heeft Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven:
>
>> I still do not see where this was proven so. We manage the GT configuration like this since quite some time and it worked until now better than with groups.
>
> Could you be more specific?

Pharo developers no longer dare changing GT configurations sounds like
a major issue to me. The ripple effect is also very visible, and for users
of the configurations it is not clear where they should depend on

Stephan