[ANN] VA Smalltalk port of libgit2 interface available on VAStGoodies

[ANN] VA Smalltalk port of libgit2 interface available on VAStGoodies

Jan van de Sandt
Hello,

The Pharo Smalltalk community is working on adding Git support to their Smalltalk environment. They use the well known open source library libgit2 [1] to access Git. The Smalltalk wrapper for this library is called LibGit.

I have ported part of LibGit to VA Smalltalk so I can experiment with Git from VASt. This port is now available on VAStGoodies.

I used the KscLibUsb project as a modern example of how to interface with a C library. I must say I really like the VASt functionality for interfacing with external libraries (FFI). With the LibUsb example, it's easy to understand and it didn't take much time before I had a stable working version. Very nice!

If anyone is also interested in interfacing with Git from VA Smalltalk, please let me know. Perhaps we can work together on this.

Cheers,
Jan.

Re: [ANN] VA Smalltalk port of libgit2 interface available on VAStGoodies

Louis LaBrunda
Hi Jan,

I'm sure it is safe to say that both Seth and I are glad that the KscLibUsb project was helpful.

I know Squeak and Pharo have pragmas but do they have anything like the PlatformFunction that VA Smalltalk has?  I ask because Seth and I would like to see KscLibUsb ported to Squeak and Pharo and having pragmas PlatformFunctions would make that a lot easier.

We have some more work to do with testing bulk transfers and I think that LibUsb recommends that it get called from a separate thread to keep working sort of in the background.  I'm not sure how to do this so when Seth and/or I get some time, one or both of use will look into this.

Lou

[1] <a href="https://libgit2.github.com/" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Flibgit2.github.com%2F\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNHV4iQG3179Heg2pYiXs9HE9FrKPQ&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Flibgit2.github.com%2F\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNHV4iQG3179Heg2pYiXs9HE9FrKPQ&#39;;return true;">https://libgit2.github.com/

Re: [ANN] VA Smalltalk port of libgit2 interface available on VAStGoodies

Jan van de Sandt
Hi Lou,

On Tue, Nov 29, 2016 at 3:47 PM, Louis LaBrunda <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Jan,

I'm sure it is safe to say that both Seth and I are glad that the KscLibUsb project was helpful.

I know Squeak and Pharo have pragmas but do they have anything like the PlatformFunction that VA Smalltalk has?  I ask because Seth and I would like to see KscLibUsb ported to Squeak and Pharo and having pragmas PlatformFunctions would make that a lot easier.

In Pharo 5.0 there is the class ExternalFunction which is similar to PlatformFunction in VA Smalltalk. If you want to port KscLibUsb to both Pharo and Squeak you have to be careful. They share some FFI functionality but Pharo added a higher level interface called Unified-FFI. This interface is not available on Squeak.

[...]

Seth Berman
Very nice Jan,

I look forward to trying it out.

-- Seth

[1] <a href="https://libgit2.github.com/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Flibgit2.github.com%2F\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNHV4iQG3179Heg2pYiXs9HE9FrKPQ&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Flibgit2.github.com%2F\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNHV4iQG3179Heg2pYiXs9HE9FrKPQ&#39;;return true;">https://libgit2.github.com/