[ANN] VM for closures on pharo web site

Torsten Bergmann
Hi Damien,

>> damien could you edit a page on the wiki with a link to these vms?
>
>http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/Downloads?tm=2

I dont know why you linked to the Exupery VM for Win32 on this page?
Maybe because Bryce wrote in [1] that his VM has the closure
bytecodes compiled in too.

But AFAIK closures were also already implemented in the official
standard windows Squeak VM in 3.11.1 (see [2]) and there is now also a
newer windows VM version from Andreas provided last week (see [3]).

So the new pharo closure image from Marcus [4] should work with
that too and I would rather see the standard Squeak VM linked on the page
if we have full closure support there. But I would mention Exupery Win32 VM
as another option.

Andreas, Bryce - any comments?

Thanks
Torsten

BTW: The exupery VM does not respond to ALT+F4 for me...

[1] http://lists.gforge.inria.fr/pipermail/pharo-project/2009-March/007233.html
[2] http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2009-March/134710.html
[3] http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2009-March/135189.html
[4] http://lists.gforge.inria.fr/pipermail/pharo-project/2009-March/007220.html
--
Neu: GMX FreeDSL Komplettanschluss mit DSL 6.000 Flatrate + Telefonanschluss für nur 17,95 Euro/mtl.!* http://dsl.gmx.de/?ac=OM.AD.PD003K11308T4569a

Re: [ANN] VM for closures on pharo web site

Damien Cassou
On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 2:48 PM, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
> So the new pharo closure image from Marcus [4] should work with
> that too and I would rather see the standard Squeak VM linked on the page
> if we have full closure support there. But I would mention Exupery Win32 VM
> as another option.

I really don't care :-). I did that because I didn't know the linked
VM had closure support.

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

Re: [ANN] VM for closures on pharo web site

Thanks for the information.
Since I'm only a mac user I was not aware of that
So we will link to the others.

Stef

>>> I dont know why you linked to the Exupery VM for Win32 on this page?
> Maybe because Bryce wrote in [1] that his VM has the closure
> bytecodes compiled in too.
>
> But AFAIK closures were also already implemented in the official
> standard windows Squeak VM in 3.11.1 (see [2]) and there is now also a
> newer windows VM version from Andreas provided last week (see [3]).
>
> So the new pharo closure image from Marcus [4] should work with
> that too and I would rather see the standard Squeak VM linked on the
> page
> if we have full closure support there. But I would mention Exupery
> Win32 VM
> as another option.
>
> Andreas, Bryce - any comments?
>
> Thanks
> Torsten
>
> BTW: The exupery VM does not respond to ALT+F4 for me...
>

> [1] http://lists.gforge.inria.fr/pipermail/pharo-project/2009-March/007233.html
> [2] http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2009-March/134710.html
> [3] http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2009-March/135189.html
> [4] http://lists.gforge.inria.fr/pipermail/pharo-project/2009-March/007220.html
> --
> Neu: GMX FreeDSL Komplettanschluss mit DSL 6.000 Flatrate +
> Telefonanschluss für nur 17,95 Euro/mtl.!* http://dsl.gmx.de/?ac=OM.AD.PD003K11308T4569a

Re: [ANN] VM for closures on pharo web site

Bryce Kampjes
On Wed, 2009-04-01 at 14:48 +0200, Torsten Bergmann wrote:

> Hi Damien,
>
> >> damien could you edit a page on the wiki with a link to these vms?
> >
> >http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/Downloads?tm=2
> >

> I dont know why you linked to the Exupery VM for Win32 on this page?
> Maybe because Bryce wrote in [1] that his VM has the closure
> bytecodes compiled in too.
>
> But AFAIK closures were also already implemented in the official
> standard windows Squeak VM in 3.11.1 (see [2]) and there is now also a
> newer windows VM version from Andreas provided last week (see [3]).
>
> So the new pharo closure image from Marcus [4] should work with
> that too and I would rather see the standard Squeak VM linked on the page
> if we have full closure support there. But I would mention Exupery Win32 VM
> as another option.
>
> Andreas, Bryce - any comments?

You're probably better off using Andreas's VM than mine for general use.
I maintain that VM purely to provide a Windows VM with Exupery support
and closures support. All my Squeak work is on Linux. I released that VM
before Andreas released his closure VM. I'll keep maintaining it because
it's needed for Exupery but it's unlikely to receive the same amount of
care as Andreas's.

The benefits of my VM are it uses the same exact version of VMMaker as
my Unix VM and it can run Exupery.

Bryce

Re: [ANN] VM for closures on pharo web site

Damien Cassou
Ok, I've updated the page