[ANN] VM for closures on pharo web site

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi

I release a VM for mac: the one sent by john and I added the missing
plugin for Unicode support.
Available at
        https://gforge.inria.fr/projects/pharo/

Re: [ANN] VM for closures on pharo web site

Marcus Denker-3

On 31.03.2009, at 10:03, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Hi
>
> I release a VM for mac: the one sent by john and I added the missing
> plugin for Unicode support.
> Available at
> https://gforge.inria.fr/projects/pharo/

Where exactly? the "Closure VMs" category is empty...

        Marcus

--
Marcus Denker  --  [hidden email]
http://www.marcusdenker.de

Re: [ANN] VM for closures on pharo web site

Stéphane Ducasse
I retried apparently the fogre does not like dot or I do not want

Stef

On Mar 31, 2009, at 11:24 AM, Marcus Denker wrote:

> On 31.03.2009, at 10:03, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I release a VM for mac: the one sent by john and I added the missing
>> plugin for Unicode support.
>> Available at
>> https://gforge.inria.fr/projects/pharo/
>>

> Where exactly? the "Closure VMs" category is empty...
>
> Marcus
>

> --
> Marcus Denker  --  [hidden email]
> http://www.marcusdenker.de

Re: [ANN] VM for closures on pharo web site

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 9:56 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
I retried apparently the fogre does not like dot or I do not want

Stef

On Mar 31, 2009, at 11:24 AM, Marcus Denker wrote:

> On 31.03.2009, at 10:03, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I release a VM for mac: the one sent by john and I added the missing
>> plugin for Unicode support.
>> Available at
>>      https://gforge.inria.fr/projects/pharo/

Is there somewhere a Linux Closure VM ? When I get it, I can test it. And what about the plugins ? do I need something else ? I am currently using exupery for linux.

Cheers,

Mariano

> Where exactly? the "Closure VMs" category is empty...
>
>       Marcus
>

> --
> Marcus Denker  --  [hidden email]
> http://www.marcusdenker.de

Re: [ANN] VM for closures on pharo web site

Damien Cassou
2009/3/31 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:
> Is there somewhere a Linux Closure VM ? When I get it, I can test it. And
> what about the plugins ? do I need something else ? I am currently using
> exupery for linux.

If you are using the latest exupery VM then you should have closure
support already.

$ squeak -version
3.9-8 #1 Tue Mar 25 22:39:11 UTC 2008 gcc 4.2.3
Squeak3.9alpha of 4 July 2005 [latest update: #7021]
Linux vernadsky 2.6.15.7 #1 SMP Sat Sep 30 10:21:42 UTC 2006 i686 GNU/Linux
default plugin location: /usr/lib/squeak/3.9-8/*.so

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 3:18 PM, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2009/3/31 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:
>> Is there somewhere a Linux Closure VM ? When I get it, I can test it. And
>> what about the plugins ? do I need something else ? I am currently using
>> exupery for linux.
>
> If you are using the latest exupery VM then you should have closure
> support already.
>
> $ squeak -version
> 3.9-8 #1 Tue Mar 25 22:39:11 UTC 2008 gcc 4.2.3
> Squeak3.9alpha of 4 July 2005 [latest update: #7021]
> Linux vernadsky 2.6.15.7 #1 SMP Sat Sep 30 10:21:42 UTC 2006 i686 GNU/Linux
> default plugin location: /usr/lib/squeak/3.9-8/*.so

Sorry, that particular version is not closure-based.

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 12:18 PM, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 3:18 PM, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]> wrote:
> 2009/3/31 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:
>> Is there somewhere a Linux Closure VM ? When I get it, I can test it. And
>> what about the plugins ? do I need something else ? I am currently using
>> exupery for linux.
>
> If you are using the latest exupery VM then you should have closure
> support already.

Ok, I will try latest exupery VM for linux then.

And in windows? I can also test it. the last windows exupery vm also has closure support ?

thanks

Mariano

> $ squeak -version
> 3.9-8 #1 Tue Mar 25 22:39:11 UTC 2008 gcc 4.2.3
> Squeak3.9alpha of 4 July 2005 [latest update: #7021]
> Linux vernadsky 2.6.15.7 #1 SMP Sat Sep 30 10:21:42 UTC 2006 i686 GNU/Linux
> default plugin location: /usr/lib/squeak/3.9-8/*.so

Sorry, that particular version is not closure-based.

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

Re: [ANN] VM for closures on pharo web site

Damien Cassou
2009/3/31 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:
> And in windows? I can also test it. the last windows exupery vm also has
> closure support ?

I think so

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

Re: [ANN] VM for closures on pharo web site

Bryce Kampjes
On Tue, 2009-03-31 at 15:30 +0200, Damien Cassou wrote:
> 2009/3/31 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:
> > And in windows? I can also test it. the last windows exupery vm also has
> > closure support ?
>
> I think so

They are. Both the Linux and Windows Exupery VMs have the closure
bytecodes compiled in. They're both build from identical VMMaker
sources.

Bryce

P.S. Don't use Exupery in a closure image, that'll probably crash. The
issue is both Exupery and closures use the "unused" slot in
MethodContext. I'll update Exupery to work with closure images as part
of the next release.

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 6:35 PM, Bryce Kampjes <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, 2009-03-31 at 15:30 +0200, Damien Cassou wrote:
> 2009/3/31 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:
> > And in windows? I can also test it. the last windows exupery vm also has
> > closure support ?
>
> I think so

They are. Both the Linux and Windows Exupery VMs have the closure
bytecodes compiled in. They're both build from identical VMMaker
sources.

Bryce

P.S. Don't use Exupery in a closure image, that'll probably crash. The
issue is both Exupery and closures use the "unused" slot in
MethodContext. I'll update Exupery to work with closure images as part
of the next release.

Ok. Thanks. But, now I wonder, is there a linux and windows vm somehere with closure so that I can be a tester of this ?  Just to test another OS. I imagine most of you use mac....

thanks

Mariano

On Tue, 2009-03-31 at 18:42 -0100, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Ok. Thanks. But, now I wonder, is there a linux and windows vm
> somehere with closure so that I can be a tester of this ?  Just to
> test another OS. I imagine most of you use mac....

The Exupery VMs have closures. You can use them on both Windows and
Linux. I released them here to help people test the image without
needing to compile their own VMs.

Bryce

On Tue, 2009-03-31 at 19:03 -0100, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

>    The Exupery VMs have closures. You can use them on both Windows and
>         Linux. I released them here to help people test the image
>         without
>         needing to compile their own VMs.
>
> Ok, so, I didn't understood what you said:
>
> "P.S. Don't use Exupery in a closure image, that'll probably crash.
> The
> issue is both Exupery and closures use the "unused" slot in
> MethodContext. I'll update Exupery to work with closure images as part
> of the next release."

I was afraid that mentioning that would cause confusion. Exupery is a
JIT written in Smalltalk, the compiler runs as a normal Smalltalk
process in the image just like any other Smalltalk code. It needs a VM
with a few hooks to allow the native code it generates to be executed.
The VMs I provide have both those hooks and the closure bytecodes.
Support for both Exupery and closures is in the VMs.

Exupery itself is a normal Monticello package which is available via
SqueakSource or Universes, if you haven't loaded it and started it then
there is no risk.

Bryce

Re: [ANN] VM for closures on pharo web site

Damien Cassou
On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 11:16 PM, Bryce Kampjes
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I was afraid that mentioning that would cause confusion. Exupery is a
> JIT written in Smalltalk, the compiler runs as a normal Smalltalk
> process in the image just like any other Smalltalk code. It needs a VM
> with a few hooks to allow the native code it generates to be executed.
> The VMs I provide have both those hooks and the closure bytecodes.
> Support for both Exupery and closures is in the VMs.
>
> Exupery itself is a normal Monticello package which is available via
> SqueakSource or Universes, if you haven't loaded it and started it then
> there is no risk.

To summarize: the Exupery VM has closure support for closure images,
use them and things will work ok. Don't try to use the JIT or you will
have problem (but you won't do that accidentally so you shouldn't
care).

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

Re: [ANN] VM for closures on pharo web site

Stéphane Ducasse
damien could you edit a page on the wiki with a link to these vms?

Thanks

On Apr 1, 2009, at 8:29 AM, Damien Cassou wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 11:16 PM, Bryce Kampjes
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I was afraid that mentioning that would cause confusion. Exupery is a
>> JIT written in Smalltalk, the compiler runs as a normal Smalltalk
>> process in the image just like any other Smalltalk code. It needs a
>> VM
>> with a few hooks to allow the native code it generates to be
>> executed.
>> The VMs I provide have both those hooks and the closure bytecodes.
>> Support for both Exupery and closures is in the VMs.
>>
>> Exupery itself is a normal Monticello package which is available via
>> SqueakSource or Universes, if you haven't loaded it and started it
>> then
>> there is no risk.
>
> To summarize: the Exupery VM has closure support for closure images,
> use them and things will work ok. Don't try to use the JIT or you will
> have problem (but you won't do that accidentally so you shouldn't
> care).
>
> --
> Damien Cassou
> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

Re: [ANN] VM for closures on pharo web site

Damien Cassou

http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/Downloads?tm=2

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I was afraid that mentioning that would cause confusion. Exupery is a
> JIT written in Smalltalk, the compiler runs as a normal Smalltalk
> process in the image just like any other Smalltalk code. It needs a VM
> with a few hooks to allow the native code it generates to be executed.
> The VMs I provide have both those hooks and the closure bytecodes.
> Support for both Exupery and closures is in the VMs.
>
> Exupery itself is a normal Monticello package which is available via
> SqueakSource or Universes, if you haven't loaded it and started it then
> there is no risk.

To summarize: the Exupery VM has closure support for closure images,
use them and things will work ok. Don't try to use the JIT or you will
have problem (but you won't do that accidentally so you shouldn't
care).

Yes. Perfect now. Thanks for this.

Cheers,

Mariano