[ANN] [VW] Seaside 2.7b1 ready for VW

Bany, Michel

I just published the first version of Seaside 2.7 on the public
VisualWorks Store repository.
The bundles to be loaded are

        SeasideForWebToolkit (2.7b1.1.0,mbany)
        SeasideForSwazoo (2.7b1.1.0,mbany)

What's new in Seaside 2.7

- WARequestHandler refactorings
- Canvas renderer is default, the old renderer is deprecated
- New, canvas like header api
- File libraries
- Some tools have been cleaned up
- New image map api
- Many new XHTML elements
- WAAnchorTag >> #text: has been deprecated
- Removed WATagBrush >> #tooltip:
- A deprecation api to make all these deprecations possible
- Ability to open a debugger on the rendering stack of an element
- Pretty printer fixes and improvements (including comments)
- Cookie fixes
- Convenience methods in WARequest
- Many bug fixes
- Class and method comments
- And more

What's new in Seaside 2.7 that is specific to VisualWorks

- The integration layer has been heavily reworked as a consequence to
the WARequestHandler refactorings
- The installer has been reworked to allow for urls like in Squeak, i.e.
http://localhost:8008/seaside/counter

Compatibility

Because the canvas renderer is now the default, Seaside 2.6 components
that are using the old renderer will need to be changed to work in
Seaside 2.7. There are two possible strategies, either add a
#rendererClass methods to the affected components or rewrite their
rendering code to use the canvas api.

Seaside add-ons

The latest versions of SeasideAsync, SeasideScriptaculous and
SeasideImageTools are expected to work fine with Seaside 2.7.
SeasideTesting will probably not work at all in Seaside 2.7. Most of the
other add-ons are untested for now.

VisualWorks 7.5

VisualWorks 7.5 distribution CD includes Seaside 2.6 and adds-on
deployed as parcels. These parcels are equivalent to the corresponding
latest versions published on the public Store repository. The CD also
includes parcels for a preview version of Seaside 2.7 which is only
slightly behind the version from the public Store repository.

As you can imagine, feedback is most welcome.

Enjoy,
Michel.

Re: [ANN] [VW] Seaside 2.7b1 ready for VW

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
Re: [Seaside] [ANN] [VW] Seaside 2.7b1 ready for VW

Awesome, look forward to giving it a whirl when I get back from STS,

Cheers!

-Boris
(Sent from a BlackBerry)

Re: [ANN] [VW] Seaside 2.7b1 ready for VW

Philippe Marschall
Please note that this version is newer than the 2.7 release for Squeak
and actually contains some backported code of 2.8 like all those awful
comments ;)

additionally
- #tabindex: is now deprecated
- #setSelectionFrom:to: was added to textarea tag (canvas)
- some more small bugfixes were fixed

Cheers
Philippe

2007/5/2, Bany, Michel <[hidden email]>:

> I just published the first version of Seaside 2.7 on the public
> VisualWorks Store repository.
> The bundles to be loaded are
>
>         SeasideForWebToolkit (2.7b1.1.0,mbany)
>         SeasideForSwazoo (2.7b1.1.0,mbany)
>
> What's new in Seaside 2.7
>
> - WARequestHandler refactorings
> - Canvas renderer is default, the old renderer is deprecated
> - New, canvas like header api
> - File libraries
> - Some tools have been cleaned up
> - New image map api
> - Many new XHTML elements
> - WAAnchorTag >> #text: has been deprecated
> - Removed WATagBrush >> #tooltip:
> - A deprecation api to make all these deprecations possible
> - Ability to open a debugger on the rendering stack of an element
> - Pretty printer fixes and improvements (including comments)
> - Cookie fixes
> - Convenience methods in WARequest
> - Many bug fixes
> - Class and method comments
> - And more
>
> What's new in Seaside 2.7 that is specific to VisualWorks
>
> - The integration layer has been heavily reworked as a consequence to
> the WARequestHandler refactorings
> - The installer has been reworked to allow for urls like in Squeak, i.e.
> http://localhost:8008/seaside/counter
>

> Compatibility
>
> Because the canvas renderer is now the default, Seaside 2.6 components
> that are using the old renderer will need to be changed to work in
> Seaside 2.7. There are two possible strategies, either add a
> #rendererClass methods to the affected components or rewrite their
> rendering code to use the canvas api.
>
> Seaside add-ons
>
> The latest versions of SeasideAsync, SeasideScriptaculous and
> SeasideImageTools are expected to work fine with Seaside 2.7.
> SeasideTesting will probably not work at all in Seaside 2.7. Most of the
> other add-ons are untested for now.
>
> VisualWorks 7.5
>
> VisualWorks 7.5 distribution CD includes Seaside 2.6 and adds-on
> deployed as parcels. These parcels are equivalent to the corresponding
> latest versions published on the public Store repository. The CD also
> includes parcels for a preview version of Seaside 2.7 which is only
> slightly behind the version from the public Store repository.
>
> As you can imagine, feedback is most welcome.
>
> Enjoy,
> Michel.

Re: [ANN] [VW] Seaside 2.7b1 ready for VW

Michel Bany-3
Forgot to mention another issue regarding compatibility of Seaside 2.6
components.

For textInput and textArea elements, Seaside 2.6 supplies a converted
value to the callback, not necessarily a string. The conversion is
completely transparent.

For instance, if a textInput element is initialized with a number, then
the callback is evaluated with a number, if it was initialized with nil
and if it is not modified by the user, then the callback is evaluated
with nil.

See #fromStringConverterBlockFor:callback: and #convertSeasideString:
This behavior, although implemented differently, was also in Seaside 2.5.
In Seaside 2.6, this behavior is available in both the canvas and old
renderers.

In Seaside 2.7, this behavior is still available for the old renderer.
However the transparent conversion has been removed from the canvas
rendering.

In Seaside 2.7, the value supplied to the callback is always a string
for the canvas renderer. When upgrading to Seaside 2.7, it may be
necessary to revise the textInput and textArea callbacks in existing
components that use the canvas renderer. The same applies when migrating
a component from old renderer to canvas.

See below some more explanations from Lukas.

Cheers,
Michel.

On 23 Feb 2007, at 09:05 , Lukas Renggli wrote:

This code was intentionally dropped a long time ago as it does harm more
than it helps. Let me try to explain.

Before the semantics were clear: the callback block always gets
evaluated with a string. Manual validation and conversion can be done by
the user exactly the way he requires. With Seaside trying to be smart
the callback sometimes gets evaluated with a Number, sometimes with a
String. Now the user has to do much more to ensure a consistent state of
his model: not only he has to do the validation and the conversion but
also some ugly type checking. There is a chance that Seaside drops some
important data due to its implicit conversions.

I always try to avoid as much implicit behavior as possible, as it makes
it very difficult to understand the code and causes very hard to detect
bugs. Moreover a conversion by Seaside completely breaks any
meta-framework (and I am sure this is not only Magritte) that depends on
getting exactly the result as the user typed it and not some
pre-processed data.

Philippe Marschall a écrit :
> Please note that this version is newer than the 2.7 release for Squeak
Philippe,
I also forgot to mention (sorry) that before doing the VW port, I
created a Seaside2.7b1 branch in SqueakSource.
The VW port was done from this new branch.
Cheers,
Michel.

Re: [ANN] [VW] Seaside 2.7b1 ready for VW

Damien Cassou-3
2007/5/3, Philippe Marschall <[hidden email]>:
> Please note that this version is newer than the 2.7 release for Squeak
> and actually contains some backported code of 2.8 like all those awful
> comments ;)

The development universe has been updated with the last 2.7 available.

--
Damien Cassou

Re: [ANN] [VW] Seaside 2.7b1 ready for VW

Philippe Marschall
Thanks, that's good. What version is in the stable universe?

Now we need someone to update the SqueakMap version too. Lukas?

Cheers
Philippe

2007/5/3, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]>:

> 2007/5/3, Philippe Marschall <[hidden email]>:
> > Please note that this version is newer than the 2.7 release for Squeak
> > and actually contains some backported code of 2.8 like all those awful
> > comments ;)
>
> The development universe has been updated with the last 2.7 available.
>
> --
> Damien Cassou

RE: [ANN] [VW] Seaside 2.7b1 ready for VW

Ramon Leon-5

> Of Damien Cassou
> Sent: Thursday, May 03, 2007 3:39 AM
> To: Seaside - general discussion
> Subject: Re: [Seaside] [ANN] [VW] Seaside 2.7b1 ready for VW
>
> 2007/5/3, Philippe Marschall <[hidden email]>:
> > Please note that this version is newer than the 2.7 release
> for Squeak
> > and actually contains some backported code of 2.8 like all
> those awful
> > comments ;)
>
> The development universe has been updated with the last 2.7 available.
>
> --
> Damien Cassou

BTW Damien, let me say, your images and the shift to universes just rocks.
I walked a newbie buddy of mine through setting up a fresh image the other
day.  We started with the dev image and then loaded up Seaside, SoapCore,
and other essentials through the Universe browser, and for once I didn't
have to apologize about Squeak's shortcomings.  It was coolness from start
to finish.  I appreciate the work and effort you put into maintaining these.

Ramon Leon
http://onsmalltalk.com

Re: [ANN] [VW] Seaside 2.7b1 ready for VW

stephane ducasse
I totally agree!!!!

2007/5/3, Ramon Leon <[hidden email]>:
> BTW Damien, let me say, your images and the shift to universes just rocks.
> I walked a newbie buddy of mine through setting up a fresh image the other
> day.  We started with the dev image and then loaded up Seaside, SoapCore,
> and other essentials through the Universe browser, and for once I didn't
> have to apologize about Squeak's shortcomings.  It was coolness from start
> to finish.  I appreciate the work and effort you put into maintaining these.

Thank you. Do you know about squeak-web? It's a squeak-dev with
Seaside, Magritte, Pier... You have the choice between Seaside 2.7 in
squeak-web and Seaside 2.8 in squeak-web-beta (the latter is also
based on 3.10).

http://damien.cassou.free.fr/squeak-web/

--
Damien Cassou

RE: [ANN] [VW] Seaside 2.7b1 ready for VW

Ramon Leon-5

> Thank you. Do you know about squeak-web? It's a squeak-dev
> with Seaside, Magritte, Pier... You have the choice between
> Seaside 2.7 in squeak-web and Seaside 2.8 in squeak-web-beta
> (the latter is also based on 3.10).
>
> http://damien.cassou.free.fr/squeak-web/
>
> --
> Damien Cassou

I prefer the dev image as I don't use Pier much and don't want it loaded.
I'd rather build up an image, than strip one.

Ramon Leon
http://onsmalltalk.com

Re: [ANN] [VW] Seaside 2.7b1 ready for VW

Carl Gundel
Michel,

>I just published the first version of Seaside 2.7 on the public
>VisualWorks Store repository.

Great!  Thanks.

>- New, canvas like header api

Could you elaborate on this briefly?

>- Many new XHTML elements

For example?

>- WAAnchorTag >> #text: has been deprecated

What do we use instead, #with: ??

>- Removed WATagBrush >> #tooltip:

What is the API used to set a toolip now?

Thanks for all the time you put into this!  :-)

-Carl Gundel
http://www.runbasic.com

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/seaside/2006-October/009570.html

> >- Many new XHTML elements
>
> For example?
>
> >- WAAnchorTag >> #text: has been deprecated
>
> What do we use instead, #with: ??

Yes

> >- Removed WATagBrush >> #tooltip:
>
> What is the API used to set a toolip now?

#ŧitle:

Cheers
Philippe

> Thanks for all the time you put into this!  :-)
>
> -Carl Gundel
> http://www.runbasic.com

Re: [ANN] [VW] Seaside 2.7b1 ready for VW

Michel Bany-3
 > >- Many new XHTML elements
 > For example?

The word "many" was a bit excessive since most of the new 2.7 xhtml
elements were gradually backported to Seaside 2.6
<del> (deleted)
<ins> (inserted)
<object>
<param> (parameter)
<caption> (tableCaption)
<col> (tableColumn)
<colgroup> (tableColumnGroup)
<ruby> etc.

The real new stuff is
<optgroup> (optionGroup)
and some html attributes
rel (relationship:)
tabindex
label
maxlength

HTH

2007/5/5, Michel Bany <[hidden email]>:

>  > >- Many new XHTML elements
>  > For example?
>
> The word "many" was a bit excessive since most of the new 2.7 xhtml
> elements were gradually backported to Seaside 2.6
> <del> (deleted)
> <ins> (inserted)
> <object>
> <param> (parameter)
> <caption> (tableCaption)
> <col> (tableColumn)
> <colgroup> (tableColumnGroup)
> <ruby> etc.
>
> The real new stuff is
> <optgroup> (optionGroup)

Does this work now? The last time I checked the tests were failing.

Cheers
Philippe

> and some html attributes
> rel (relationship:)
> tabindex
> label
> maxlength
>
> HTH
> Michel.

Re: [ANN] [VW] Seaside 2.7b1 ready for VW

Jason Johnson-3
Ramon Leon wrote:

> BTW Damien, let me say, your images and the shift to universes just rocks.
> I walked a newbie buddy of mine through setting up a fresh image the other
> day.  We started with the dev image and then loaded up Seaside, SoapCore,
> and other essentials through the Universe browser, and for once I didn't
> have to apologize about Squeak's shortcomings.  It was coolness from start
> to finish.  I appreciate the work and effort you put into maintaining these.
>
> Ramon Leon
> http://onsmalltalk.com

+1.  I downloaded 3.10 (I think it was), didn't know what to download so
I just loaded a squeak-dev universe and everything worked perfect.
Ausome job.

RE: [ANN] [VW] Seaside 2.7b1 ready for VW

Bany, Michel
> > The real new stuff is
> > <optgroup> (optionGroup)
>
> Does this work now? The last time I checked the tests were failing.

Not really, but I could make it work with an ugly hack.
See WAInputTest in Seaside2.7b1

Michel.